Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Site Log-in removed

zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Just got beta invite, but the offical site will not allow you to log on, even through the forum, they appear to have removed that option, but oddly the create a new account option is still there. Any idea about whats going on? Is this a emergency measure after a server overload, as it seems a huge amunt of invite where just sent out.

Comments

• ApotheosApotheos Member Posts: 62

IMHO they are trying to shunt the overwhelming load they created for themselves.

Apotheos

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I have not been impressed with this stress test weekend yet...

Very similar, and slightly more annoying than the last stress test before WoW launched.

Oh, and you are correct.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386
  • marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by daeandor

I have not been impressed with this stress test weekend yet...

Very similar, and slightly more annoying than the last stress test before WoW launched.

Oh, and you are correct.

How can you not be impressed by a stress test?  Its a stress test, what is there to be impressed/not impressed with?

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I can't get my launcher to work and can't log in to the website to see what is going on.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Theyve invited every single person who ever signed up for beta before today, including a masive amount of current testers. That's enough to cause a person a heart attack and a server spams.

• SenthysisSenthysis Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Apotheos

IMHO they are trying to shunt the overwhelming load they created for themselves.

Agreed.  A lot of  people aren't even going to read the full email (God forbid they read the first Q&A on the Beta Weekend FAQ) and assume they can immediately download and play.  Taking away the login button was probably a way protect themselves from a server meltdown.  

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Better this happen now, Bioware are still mmo newbies, they have no idea the hell that awaits them. From what I've seen from so many mmos, from long term whining or demands for particular additions or changes to the overwhelming list of problems that plague new launches, I wouldn’t want to produce an mmo for anything. I hope Bioware emerges from the nightmare to come a stronger wiser company.

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

I have a question! I got the invite by mail but there was no code there and no info. What should i do? wait for another email?

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Yes.

• LeadslingerLeadslinger Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by Asamighost

I have a question! I got the invite by mail but there was no code there and no info. What should i do? wait for another email?

You should read the email again, it's the reason the forums crashed.

Cause people don't read the email and think they got invited. You did not get invited for this weekends stress test but for the next one that will be the last one. Basically everyone got invited for that one.

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

Originally posted by RedAim

Cause people don't read the email and think they got invited. You did not get invited for this weekends stress test but for the next one that will be the last one. Basically everyone got invited for that one.

thanks you.

Short answer: Yes

Reason:   Bioware is performing an "Open Beta-like" Stress test for their servers in the next couple weekends for everyone who put in their pre-order code before 11/11/11.  It is stated on the forums in the Beta Weekends FAQ.

The forums never crashed.  They just removed the login button.  There were ways around it.  Going to https://accounts.swtor.com for example.

• Originally posted by Senthysis

Reason:   Bioware is performing an "Open Beta-like" Stress test for their servers in the next couple weekends for everyone who put in their pre-order code before 11/11/11.  It is stated on the forums in the Beta Weekends FAQ.

actually its anyone that selected to be signed up for game testing before 11/11/11 not who pre-ordered befire then

How can you take part in this coming Beta Test Weekend? Well, for starters we are happy to announce that anyone who has signed up for our Game Testing Program prior to today, November 11th, will get invited! Invites will be sent in the coming weeks.

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20111111-0

you can also get keys from other sites like ign and this one

For people who haven’t signed up for our Game Testing Program, you can also get into the Beta Stress Test Weekend through a series of promotions. Be sure to check out the following websites for your chance to grab a Beta Test Weekend Code:

For North America:

For United Kingdom:

For Nordic Regions (Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden):

For Germany:

For France:

Keep your eyes on these sites for your chance to get a Beta Test Weekend Code, as well as how to redeem the code and get into the Beta Test Weekend. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook to get the latest news about Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

• YaumulYaumul Member Posts: 11

Whoever it was at Bioware that thought it was a good idea to send out a mass email for an UPCOMING beta test DURING a Beta test weekend needs to be fired.

All they have done is caused mass confusion and mass overload of the website due to everyone posting threads asking "I gots invite, can't download.. HELP!".

Not looking very impressive for a smooth launch if these are the sort of ideas they come up with.

• lareslocilaresloci Member UncommonPosts: 373

Originally posted by Yaumul

Whoever it was at Bioware that thought it was a good idea to send out a mass email for an UPCOMING beta test DURING a Beta test weekend needs to be fired.

All they have done is caused mass confusion and mass overload of the website due to everyone posting threads asking "I gots invite, can't download.. HELP!".

Not looking very impressive for a smooth launch if these are the sort of ideas they come up with.

Betcha it was the "marketing department"....

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Actually, I have read the email a couple of times and it is unclear to say the least.  I did read the forums, and found out what it meant.  It would have been smart for them to say that it does not necessarily mean that this weekend.  Its a fairly logical assumption that when you get an email invite like that to assume it means now.  All other beta tests I've done were along those lines.  Not that you had been selected, but not yet.  I have no problem with them doing it that way, just that they might want to change their language a bit.  A few people misunderstand its them.  Hundreds of thousands mistake what it says, its probably the message.

I self identify as a monkey.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Well if people cannot be bothered to read the full details of the emall that's their own issue. 

It clearly states it is for an upcoming (i.e. not happening now) beta, and additional details will be announced soon (again, not happening now).

Well.. anything's better than the "Thank you for playing our beta.... Oh.. Wait" email.

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

Originally posted by JudgeUK

Well if people cannot be bothered to read the full details of the emall that's their own issue. 

It clearly states it is for an upcoming (i.e. not happening now) beta, and additional details will be announced soon (again, not happening now).

Nah it's very unclear they only say upcoming test that could even imply the test would start in 10 mins. They don't mention when in any form in the email so fault is deffinatly on them.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

• ducesettutamducesettutam Member UncommonPosts: 85

Unfortunately it wasn't that clear. I got the mail yesterday and thought to myself, do they mean tomorrow? I didn't even remember signing up for the beta and haven't been checking the site that often. After getting to the site and redoing my password I found I wasn't able to log in. So I did the natural thing and googled it. I found a link to their forums which I was able to access and sure enough, the email created enough confusion that there was an entire FAQ from Bioware about it. 

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by ducesettutam

Unfortunately it wasn't that clear. I got the mail yesterday and thought to myself, do they mean tomorrow? I didn't even remember signing up for the beta and haven't been checking the site that often. After getting to the site and redoing my password I found I wasn't able to log in. So I did the natural thing and googled it. I found a link to their forums which I was able to access and sure enough, the email created enough confusion that there was an entire FAQ from Bioware about it. 

The eMail said it perfectly clear, that anyone who signed up to the official site before 11.11.11 will be given access to beta within the next weeks and that you should watch out for further eMails that'll then give you detailed instructions.

What's not to understand about this one?

People not being able to read and make their haed around an eMail with such easy to understand content shouldn't be using the internet at all imho.

Oh... and why do people want to get into beta anyways, if you allready have the option to get a few days for preordering the game? Preorder costs $5 and you can then try the complete game instead of a beta for a few days, and if you don't like it, then you simply don't pay for the retail-box and send it back.

Beta doesn't offer anything really, as you won't be able to keep your characters anyways. It's wasted time and wasted bandwith for the 27GB beta-client.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Senthysis

Calling is open-beta-like is misleading people to think it's open beta.  Call it a stress test.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Yalexy

Originally posted by ducesettutam

The eMail said it perfectly clear, that anyone who signed up to the official site before 11.11.11 will be given access to beta within the next weeks and that you should watch out for further eMails that'll then give you detailed instructions.

What's not to understand about this one?

People not being able to read and make their haed around an eMail with such easy to understand content shouldn't be using the internet at all imho.

Oh... and why do people want to get into beta anyways, if you allready have the option to get a few days for preordering the game? Preorder costs $5 and you can then try the complete game instead of a beta for a few days, and if you don't like it, then you simply don't pay for the retail-box and send it back.

Beta doesn't offer anything really, as you won't be able to keep your characters anyways. It's wasted time and wasted bandwith for the 27GB beta-client.

I want to get in beta to actually BETA the game and make it better?  Also, I think many of us have no bandwidth cap on our internet, so the client size isnt a big deal.

But about the keep your characters thing, I'ver understood that part.  I get why they delete them, but I dont understand why people level up to 25+ or in the case of one of the rift betas, 40+.  I get that you want to test it, but I think I would be burnt out by launch if I did that in beta.  Hell, I didnt even make it to cap in rift in launch.  Got to 30 something and got bored.