Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta Soon.....Or Stress Tests.

Comments

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by Elikal

*cough* Apparently they are inviting Europeans now to beta too. *cough*

Only (a) I can't log into the website, it seems the forum login is down?? And (b) it is for the weekend, and prolly will take my slow DSL 2000 the entirety of the weekend to download the damn thing. Oh well...

It's everyone who registered before 11th Nov and the weekend hasn't been determined yet. So more waiting still to go :p

Yeah just got my email and got all excited then noticed it said upcming beta weekend lol. So yay and boo at the same time....

No signature, I don't have a pen

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Lazarus71

Only (a) I can't log into the website, it seems the forum login is down?? And (b) it is for the weekend, and prolly will take my slow DSL 2000 the entirety of the weekend to download the damn thing. Oh well...

It's everyone who registered before 11th Nov and the weekend hasn't been determined yet. So more waiting still to go :p

Yeah just got my email and got all excited then noticed it said upcming beta weekend lol. So yay and boo at the same time....

Yeah, its a bit late for THIS weekend.

Can you log into the website btw?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Nope seems to be down for all. Probably a bunch of people got over excited when they got the email like me, now they are all trying to log in and have crashed the site lol.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by waynejr2

SWTOR is not having an open beta.

Essentially the beta weekends are the traditional open beta just not fully open.  It is sort of like how Rift did their beta.  Rift had 1k testers do all the testing on Alpha and then ran the beta weekends for marketing (and some stress testing) the last 2 months before release while the real testers still tested the game in Alpha.  SWTOR's is the same setup with beta testers in the beta while having  beta weekends for marketing and some stress testing.

The big advtangae to a compnay doing it this way is the savings.  The last few months of betas are the most expensive months of development taking in all the new testers.  Thew streamlined approach saves the company money but also is great for marketing as it allows people limited exposure to the game.  It is only natrual when people have limited exposure they wiill like the game more as its been taken away form them.  Pure genius.  Not to mention in todays mainstream market where there are so many wanna be theorectical MMO players that will never sub longer than a month or two. There is no game that will ever keep these players subbed longer than a few months.  Bascially the goal is simply to get them to pay $60 and hopefully a long 6 month sub before they quit. Not over exposing these players in beta really pads the revenue. 

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269

Sweet now i can Bounty Hunt people  errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr   no i cant  /logout

Nope seems to be down for all. Probably a bunch of people got over excited when they got the email like me, now they are all trying to log in and have crashed the site lol.

Hehe.

"It was as if millions of users tried to log in and were suddenly silenced." XD

I just read on Massively, some assumed it beta weekend may refer to a weekend in 1-2 weeks not THIS weekend. The mail could have been a bit more detailled on the date.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

I wouldn't get your panties in a bunch and be all excited, I got the invite too, but i am doubtfull. The last time something like this happened (steam forums) the forums got hacked. So alas, mid-day maintance on the whole site? yea, I don't think so. Guessing another hack fest occured. Poor hackers, after doing steam and now EA, Two big power houses with cash, the hackers better not answer the door.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

you are selected!! just forget about grabbing a 30gb or whatever it is client this weekend as were in maintenance.. good fucking job :D

Originally posted by wyldmagik

you are selected!! just forget about grabbing a 30gb or whatever it is client this weekend as were in maintenance.. good fucking job :D

It's a stress test alright... on our nerves! XD

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by wyldmagik

It's nt for this weekend, it's for an upcoming weekend ;)

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I just got the invite, but no link to download the game.  do they send that separately??

I self identify as a monkey.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

I just got the invite, but no link to download the game.  do they send that separately??

i just got an invite too. i believe you have to go to your account on the website to download the client, however the site is down for maintenance...

It's NOT for this weekend it's for another sometime later in the month that supposedly will be their biggest weekend test so far

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=10671656#post10671656

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Originally posted by hockeyplayr

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

i just got an invite too. i believe you have to go to your account on the website to download the client, however the site is down for maintenance...

Yea, I went there but nothing.  maybe its a heads up and they will unlock it later

I self identify as a monkey.

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by BadSpock

I'm just curious if they are going to drop NDA for that weekend or not.

WIth THAT many testers, going to be really, really, impossibly hard to keep loose lips from going to town with spoilers/leaks.

I think dropping the NDA is just a technicality when you invite EVERYBODY who has ever applied for the beta test.

Essentially, everybody who was interested enough in the game to apply for the beta test will get in, will see and play the game and will have direct gameplay knowledge and experience.

When I wanted to find some leaked beta info previously it was really easy.  However, to honor the spirit of confidentiality for everybody, I said nothing and did not repeat what I learned in any public forum.

Besides, I preordered the game so I am in it with both feet.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218

Originally posted by Lexin

I got an invite for the weekend but have no plans of testing a MMO I have no plans on ever playing.

You either got an invite by applying for one via swtor.com testing or via one of the promotions, so that begs the question why bother applying for a testing spot if you have no plans of testing or playing the game? I've probably just given you the attention that you wanted i suppose, so well done on that.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

some people are like that. U get the haters who say they wont play or dont play a game and they are the ones in game trolling forums making chat a living hell for others. 

They are the ones who say the population of the game is horrible and its because of them the population is seen as bad in the first place.

Why sign up for a game u never wanna play or test is beyond me but hey kudos u just proves u are a royal jack arse. Good for u pal u got into a beta for a game u never wanted to test or play even though u onloy got in by apploying to test.

Ok, just a technical question. I got a beta invite, but it doesn't contain any link for download. NOW I can finally log in, but in "/tester" area there is no download link either.

Now what?

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Ok, just a technical question. I got a beta invite, but it doesn't contain any link for download. NOW I can finally log in, but in "/tester" area there is no download link either.

Now what?

Going to have to wait for the weekend to be announced, as the other Betas once accepted allow you to download. So you pretty much have to wait for weeked to announce then accept.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Now what?

I'm pretty sure your invite is for a weekend in the future, not this current weekend.  Chances are that download link won't show up for you until a few days before the beta testing weekend you are eligible for.  So you'll have to wait just a bit longer before you can download.  

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Now what?

In my best Admiral Ackbar voice "It's a trap" image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• moguy1moguy1 Member UncommonPosts: 134

Now what?

If you dig deeper you will get where you can download it. Click tester agreement and then dig just a bit more in there .I had the same deal and its downloading as we speak. Also it is for this weekend.

Originally posted by moguy1

Now what?

If you dig deeper you will get where you can download it. Click tester agreement and then dig just a bit more in there .I had the same deal and its downloading as we speak. Also it is for this weekend.

Any invites that went out tonight and dont show -In Progress on the swtor/tester page are NOT for this weekend. They are for the 'upcoming weekend' some time by the end of this month.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Key's giveaway, guess I wasn't seeing things last night on ign. http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1212228p1.html

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Haha, just got the invite for the NEXT beta weekend + I got one for this upcoming weekend a few days ago.  Looks like I'm going to get two weekends with SWTOR.  For those that have beta'd or been in more than one weekend, I imagine they do a wipe at the end of every weekend, or is that only when they put in a new build?  In other words, will I not be able to use the character I'm using this weekend for the next beta weekend?