Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(POLL ADDED) I figured out how "UP" your chances in getting into weekend beta, I'll tell you how ins

WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Ok so before I start i'll tell my story, I pre-orded Sw:tor on Aug,23,2011 and waited for a beta invite and waited and waited, a few of my friends that did pre-order got the invite but not me, ok so this week 4 more of my friends got the invite that didn't even pre-order and I was like WTF.

Anyways that got me thinking, "maybeeeeee" they are giving out bets invites to people that didn't pre-order yet so they will pre-order the game, then I remembered I had a old account to swtor.com from way back in 2009 tied to a old e-mail account that I no longer use, so after about 30 mins of me trying to remember my old account password I loged into to my old e-mail account, and sure enough there it was a weekend beta invite.

I'm 100% convinced no matter what Sw:tor is telling us that the ones getting the beta invites first are the ones that did "NOT" pre-order the game, sure they might be doing random invites aswell for the ones that did pre-order but the ones that have a account on Sw:tor that did pre-order not get in first.

Test it out and see if you have a old account or did not pre-order yet, i'm willing to bet that you got a invite, 4 of my friends did and myself on a old account, this is more then a coincidence.

Comments

• pwnasauruspwnasaurus Member UncommonPosts: 71

Mayhaps you should re-imagine this thread as a survey to collect evidence.

I, for one, received an invite and have not pre-ordered.

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by Warjin

Ok so before I start i'll tell my story, I pre-orded Sw:tor on Aug,23,2011 and waited for a beta invite and waited and waited, a few of my friends that did pre-order got the invite but not me, ok so this week 4 more of my friends got the invite that didn't even pre-order and I was like WTF.

Anyways that got me thinking, "maybeeeeee" they are giving out bets invites to people that didn't pre-order yet so they will pre-order the game, then I remembered I had a old account to swtor.com from way back in 2009 tied to a old e-mail account that I no longer use, so after about 30 mins of me trying to remember my old account password I loged into to my old e-mail account, and sure enough there it was a weekend beta invite.

I'm 100% convinced no matter what Sw:tor is telling us that the ones getting the beta invites first are then ones that did "NOT" pre-order the game, sure they might be doing random invites aswell for the ones that did pre-order but the ones that have a account on Sw:tor that did not get in first.

Test it out and see if you have a old account or did not pre-order yet, i'm willing to bet that you got a invite, 4 of my friends did and myself on a old account, this is more then a coincidence.

Pfft.. I have 3 diff email accounts attached to that site and none of them have a beta invite and I put that in soon as it was able to be done.. I also noticed one account I checked treated me like I had not even signed up for beta when I had done.. No biggie but would of been nice to see what the fuss was about before a purchase, I also did not pre-order..

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Originally posted by pwnasaurus

Mayhaps you should re-imagine this thread as a survey to collect evidence.

I, for one, received an invite and have not pre-ordered.

lol nice

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

Tbh I got  3 beta invites, 1 on my pre-order account and 2 on non unused accounts. Kept 1 for myself gave 1 to the wife since her account did not get one which is also a pre-order, and gave the 3rd to a friend that I am trying to get to play with us come launch.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I did preorder and I did receive a beta invite. (for main testing not just weekend testing). 

I also received a weekend test invite that I have declined due to being in the regular beta.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

My brother has not pre-ordered and he just signed up for the beta yesterday and today he had an invite.....Go figure...

• pwnasauruspwnasaurus Member UncommonPosts: 71

So are you insinuating that the distribution of keys is a marketing tactic to reign in more pre-orders through influencing undecided potential players with sweet, sweet beta action? If that's what you're after then I'd like to second my own notion(I can do that...) of creating a poll thread. I won't do it, of course, that would be absurd while I'm trying to enjoy the Skyrim hypepocalypse for the next few hours.

Since we have our tinfoil hats on; any other theories?

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

OP, I beleive you were just lucky. I got in for the Oct 7 through 10th weekend and it seemed to be 50/50 of preorder vs non-preorder.

I, however preordered way before then. July

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I did preorder and I did receive a beta invite. (for main testing not just weekend testing). 

I also received a weekend test invite that I have declined due to being in the regular beta.

Yeah my RL buddy has a testing pass, thats where I get all my info from.

• moguy1moguy1 Member UncommonPosts: 135

They just don't like some people. Sorry man, they just dont like you!!!

So are you insinuating that the distribution of keys is a marketing tactic to reign in more pre-orders through influencing undecided potential players with sweet, sweet beta action? If that's what you're after then I'd like to second my own notion(I can do that...) of creating a poll thread. I won't do it, of course, that would be absurd while I'm trying to enjoy the Skyrim hypepocalypse for the next few hours.

It's a great marketing strat if you think about it.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I did not preorder and have not received a beta invite yet.  That's all irrelevant now though because Skyrim's coming tonight!

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I'm 100% convinced no matter what Sw:tor is telling us that the ones getting the beta invites first are then ones that did "NOT" pre-order the game, sure they might be doing random invites aswell for the ones that did pre-order but the ones that have a account on Sw:tor that did not get in first.

Could just be that you had an old account so they gave beta keys out to people with the oldest accounts.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

Originally posted by afhn2110

Could just be that you had an old account so they gave beta keys out to people with the oldest accounts.

I thought about that but some of the friends that did get the invite signed up this yeah, I think that the ones (no matter the age of the account) that are getting weekend beta have a much higher chance to get invites vs the ones that did pre-order, to me it seems like a slick marketing strat to grab more pre-orders.

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

While I understand your (conspiracy) theory, is it really so hard to believe that testing invites are random?  Why do you think that someone has the time or inclination to remove every preorder beta applicant from the testing pool?  I don't even think that having a debunct email removes you.  When you have hundreds of thousands, if not over a million beta candidates, the important factors tend to be if their computer runs the game and the type of hardware that they want to test.   That would be the more logical reason for exclusion.  The reason that you got an invite more likely has to do with the fact that you had more than one account.

• pensselisetapensseliseta Member Posts: 40

It's a great marketing strat if you think about it.

That's assuming the game is good enough to be a positive marketing tool.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by moguy1

They just don't like some people. Sorry man, they just dont like you!!!

I KNEW IT! :(

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

I had an old account, and I've already registered my pre-order.  It could be argued that they let me into beta because they're confident that I'll maintain my preorder after being able to try out the game.

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Just checked my email and also got the beta invite this weekend WITHOUT pre-order i think OP is correct.

NOW the only problem is SKYRIM comes out tonight and i am conflicted... i guess it can wait a weekend 

C

Originally posted by Silax

While I understand your (conspiracy) theory, is it really so hard to believe that testing invites are random?  Why do you think that someone has the time or inclination to remove every preorder beta applicant from the testing pool?  I don't even think that having a debunct email removes you.  When you have hundreds of thousands, if not over a million beta candidates, the important factors tend to be if their computer runs the game and the type of hardware that they want to test.   That would be the more logical reason for exclusion.  The reason that you got an invite more likely has to do with the fact that you had more than one account.

I'm sure it's random but the liklyhood of getting a weekend beta testing pass without pre-ordering seems atlot higher, 4 of my friends got theres, and I got mine on a old account but not my pre-oerdered account, tinfoil..Yes maybe but seems fishy if you ask me.

Originally posted by mrshroom89

Just checked my email and also got the beta invite this weekend WITHOUT pre-order i think OP is correct.

NOW the only problem is SKYRIM comes out tonight and i am conflicted... i guess it can wait a weekend 

Yeah Skyrim will be there after the weekend, might as well make use of your pass, anyways grats.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Here's mine:

- did not preorder

- didn't sign up for beta access

- didn't sign up on the site yet either

I've been looking at my inbox for months now, not a single mail from Bioware though V_V

Hope that helps.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

Also consider how many people signed up for beta, and how many people pre-ordered. (Also, how many of us created multiple accounts to sign up for beta? I did.)

Sample scenario: out of 5 accounts that signed up for beta, only one of the accounts has a pre-order code applied to it. There is a 4 out of 5 chance that an account without a pre-order will get an invite, versus a 1 out of 5 chance with pre-order.

I highly doubt BioWare is targeting "undecided" customers. There is simply a larger number of accounts without pre-orders.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by DarkPony

Here's mine:

- did not preorder

I've been looking at my inbox for months now, not a single mail from Bioware though V_V

Hope that helps.

Such baffling illogic! I had to read it four times to be sure to understand it! -__-

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by DarkPony

Here's mine:

- did not preorder

Hope that helps.

Such baffling illogic! I had to read it four times to be sure to understand it! -__-

lol me too., just pony being pony I guess: )