Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim - Reactions, Questions, News, Reviews - Post it all Here

Comments

• mrxennonmrxennon Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by Dragim

I haven't even gotten to play the game yet and I am pissed off.

This game required Steam for PC users?  Are you f-in kidding me?  I don't purchase a hard copy of a game to require some super crappy 3rd party program to run it.

Normal install of a game for my computer?  5 minutes max.  Installing it through steam? 20 minutes.

Oh and when I click to play a game on steam and it says "this game is currently unavailable"...excuse me?  You mean the game I paid money for and have the actual disk for I cannot play, because your crappy 3rd party software won't let me?

Do they have a reason why "this game is currently unavailable" No.  Why is it unavailable?  Probably because steam screwed something up, because it sure as hell worked last night when I played it.

I f-in hate Steam with such a passion that I am ready to just resell this game before I even play it.  I had to deal with this crap for Civilization 5, and Shogun 2.

I don't give a rats ass if "it is a social networking tool", I have facebook for crap like that.  I want to play my games when I want to play them, not when steam decides that it is OK for me to play them.

I want to patch the game if I WANT to, not because steam forces me to.  If I want to sit down and play a game I should be able to, not forced to wait an hour to download some patch I could care less about.

Give Me Back Control of My Single Player Games.  If I wanted to have my games controlled I would play an MMO, not a single player game that I went out and physically waited in line to purchase my own hard copy of.

Ugh, this crap pisses me off so much.

/end rant

Another idiot that doesnt read the packaging when buying a game.  It is clearly written in red and white that it requires internet connection and a steam account, and as long as you didnt open the package then you can take it back to the retailer for your money back. which is also clearly printed on the package.

Your game is not controlled by steam, just you having a rage fit. grow up.

If people didnt pirate games and music then we wouldnt be using these security measures, blame yourselves for getting the crap you dont want, and get used to it because its going to get worse and less freedom is coming to the internet.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by mrxennon

If people didnt pirate games and music then we wouldnt be using these security measures, blame yourselves for getting the crap you dont want, and get used to it because its going to get worse and less freedom is coming to the internet.

I agree with the rest of your post which i've omitted but the quoted part is just silly. Skyrim was being played by the pirates, the steam pre-load files being the source, hours before the first country had it unlocked there.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by mrxennon

Another idiot that doesnt read the packaging when buying a game. 

It is clearly written in red and white that it requires internet connection and a steam account, and as long as you didnt open the package then you can take it back to the retailer for your money back. which is also clearly printed on the package.

I'm guessing the Xbox 360 version is free from all this nonsense, right?

If so, I'll just buy it for that platform. I don't want to mess around with Steam even if it (Steam) is good.

I don't see the need for a internet connection when I played the other Elder Scrolls game perfectly fine on the consoles, so hoping that's the case.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by kerigar-karg

Originally posted by Leucent

Originally posted by PukeBucket

SOOO THANKFUL THAT the PC version has way better textures than what's been reported for the 360 version.

The menus are a lil' clunky still, but the hotkeys look better than the favorites menu deal on the consoles.

The funny thing is, I went over to a friends whos playing it on a xbox360 and everyone prior to release was saying it s so much better then the ps3 version. Well they were wrong, graphically, and imo smoothness the ps3 is superior. I ll try and find a link of a side by side it s quite a bit better on the ps3.

PC, well i m sure it s better, we ll see when I buy it for my pc one day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=55P2W3F26sA

Is this what you are looking for?

Heh, that's a pretty interesting contrast.  The PS3 version definitely looked sharper compared to the 360 version.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I saw salmon jumping from the waterfalls so I went there to see if I can catch one, in one moment the butterfly flew ower my head, I was so suprised when I realised u can catch them and use in alchemy. Nice, small detail. :)
    Great game so far :)

Originally posted by kostoslav

I saw salmon jumping from the waterfalls so I went there to see if I can catch one, in one moment the butterfly flew ower my head, I was so suprised when I realised u can catch them and use in alchemy. Nice, small detail. :) Great game so far :)

Yeah i was the same with Bees. Shame the Bees don't sting you though :(

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Quite amazed by the beauty of the game, so far enjoying it more than oblivion. I am having some technical issues, like some extremely bad textures on a rock on the top with nice textures on the side and huge fps drops for no reason. 

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

When Dovakhin is not busy slaying dragons, he practices his hobby, skydiving.

Awesome game, found a few hilarious bugs.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Warmaker

Originally posted by kerigar-karg

Originally posted by Leucent

Originally posted by PukeBucket

SOOO THANKFUL THAT the PC version has way better textures than what's been reported for the 360 version.

The menus are a lil' clunky still, but the hotkeys look better than the favorites menu deal on the consoles.

The funny thing is, I went over to a friends whos playing it on a xbox360 and everyone prior to release was saying it s so much better then the ps3 version. Well they were wrong, graphically, and imo smoothness the ps3 is superior. I ll try and find a link of a side by side it s quite a bit better on the ps3.

PC, well i m sure it s better, we ll see when I buy it for my pc one day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=55P2W3F26sA

Is this what you are looking for?

Heh, that's a pretty interesting contrast.  The PS3 version definitely looked sharper compared to the 360 version.

This is a known bug on the 360 version of the game. If you install it to the HD it defaults to low rez textures for some bizarre reason. If you run it off of the DVD you get the higher rez textures like the PS3 ones but your load times are much longer. Bethesda better fix this quick or there are going to be a lot of pissed off 360 players.

Bren

Edited to add link

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

do want! so bad.

could anyone say what the chances of it being on sale on black friday are though?

Originally posted by atticusbc

do want! so bad.

could anyone say what the chances of it being on sale on black friday are though?

You already know the answr. Slim to none.

Steam is seeing some of the highest ever concurrent users playing a single game already, was something like 240k playing at one time last i looked. At least trippling the MW3 players. Skyrim aint going to be on sale until after Xmas.

Edit - link to back it up

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Just finished a full days play. Pretty much in love with the game right now.

Female character models are vastly improved over oblivions troll women.

Third person is now a viable option. I infact enjoy fighting more in third person (in melee) magic still has it otherwise. Ranged is the same.

The voiceovers are done by more than three people.

armor models look fantastic.

NPCs dont stop in the street to dicuss loudly who the best armor merchant is. Instead they largely stay about their own business only discussing relevant topics.

All in all it's a god damn blast, up there with my favourite games of all time easily.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Kabaal

do want! so bad.

You already know the answr. Slim to none.

Steam is seeing some of the highest ever concurrent users playing a single game already, was something like 240k playing at one time last i looked. At least trippling the MW3 players. Skyrim aint going to be on sale until after Xmas.

Edit - link to back it up

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

i knew the answer, i just don't want to believe it. :(

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

I love the game so far. Performance wise, its a little less then what I hoped, but still rpetty good.

The game looks beautiful even on low settings, and the gameplay is very smooth and fluid. While playing, I switch constantly between different combat setups and third/first person which makes the combat feel dynamic and interesting. And of course, the world itself is nicely done (from what I explored so far, but a full' day of play, i still haven't scratched much of th surface.

But so far, I'm very impressed and it's living up to my expectations. I've stuck mainly to combat aspects, and will try more of the crafting stuff tommorow. I already know I'm gona be getting a lot of playtime with this one, wish mmo's would try to be more like tes. =/

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

do want! so bad.

just wait a month and it will be like $29.99 on amazon

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176

Hello Skyrim!  Goodbye sleep!

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

How good is it?

I am playing Skyrim instead of a certain over-hyped beta.

But, the beta is pretty boring AND skyrim is fun... so...

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Skyrim is basically everything I hoped Oblivion would be after coming from Morrowind.  I love the art-style and how the character models actually have personality again.  The world feels wide open and expansive unlike how Oblivion often felt as if you were in a fish bowl.  Combat is really my only complaint.  It doesn't seem as responsive as Oblivion for whatever reason.

I have zero sympathy for anyone complaining about the PC version of this game.  Those of you who beat your chest and proclaimed so loudly that the PC was the only way to enjoy this game should have known full well you were trading playability for framerate and high resolution textures.

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Skyrim is basically everything I hoped Oblivion would be after coming from Morrowind.  I love the art-style and how the character models actually have personality again.  The world feels wide open and expansive unlike how Oblivion often felt as if you were in a fish bowl.  Combat is really my only complaint.  It doesn't seem as responsive as Oblivion for whatever reason.

I have zero sympathy for anyone complaining about the PC version of this game.  Those of you who beat your chest and proclaimed so loudly that the PC was the only way to enjoy this game should have known full well you were trading playability for framerate and high resolution textures.

I'm playing on PC and I'm have absolutely zero issues with playability. Sure the menus were a little akward at first but it only took about an hour of play to get used to them. The only real issue I have is why on earth they decided to make it so 'E' opens things and 'TAB' closes them. This is the first Elder Scrolls game where you couldn't just use the same key. That is minor however. I've played much worse console ports than this one by far. As I said in a previous post the only real issue I had was with the very slow response rate of the mouse but a quick tweak of the 'look' slider in the 'gameplay' menu fixed that. Now my combat is very responsive.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013

Originally posted by fiontar

The Armor models so far are also very blah. Hopefully there will be a healthy mod cummunity to help deal with that issue.

I'm really surprised you say this, I think they are one of the best features of the game. The armor and weapons are absolutely beautiful. FAR better than Oblivion.

in some cases it's almost art nouveau. Not really but it reminds me a bit of the style.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Brenelael

Originally posted by SuperXero89

I'm playing on PC and I'm have absolutely zero issues with playability. Sure the menus were a little akward at first but it only took about an hour of play to get used to them. The only real issue I have is why on earth they decided to make it so 'E' opens things and 'TAB' closes them. This is the first Elder Scrolls game where you couldn't just use the same key. That is minor however. I've played much worse console ports than this one by far. As I said in a previous post the only real issue I had was with the very slow response rate of the mouse but a quick tweak of the 'look' slider in the 'gameplay' menu fixed that. Now my combat is very responsive.

Bren

Then you aren't one of the individuals I was referring to :)

Having played both, it's easy to tell that this game was clearly designed for consoles, so certain concessions will have to be made to enjoy it on the PC.  

For some, it would seem that has really impacted their ability to enjoy the game.  To those are the whom I'm referring to.  The problem is that I haven't encountered anything on the PC that was that much more console-central than Oblivion, so those people should have known what they were getting themselves into. 

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Originally posted by CalmOceans

do want! so bad.

just wait a month and it will be like $29.99 on amazon

Not likely. It'll be a long time before a game this good gets a permanent price drop.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Sovrath

The Armor models so far are also very blah. Hopefully there will be a healthy mod cummunity to help deal with that issue.

I'm really surprised you say this, I think they are one of the best features of the game. The armor and weapons are absolutely beautiful. FAR better than Oblivion.

in some cases it's almost art nouveau. Not really but it reminds me a bit of the style.

I don't suppose anyone could post a few screenshots of their characters?  I'd particularly like to see how the faces turned out since I'm with fiontar in feeling disappointed when presented with lackluster customizationoptions.  I don't trust what the marketing suits have made available.  I'd like to see what gamers are actually seeing upon release.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I'm left-handed, and the controls for PC just piss me off royally. I mean, really. It's just obnoxious.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

Originally posted by Sovrath

I also like the fact that there are several different models for each grade as well. I've seen at least 3 or 4 different Fur and Hide variations as well as with Iron and steel. In Daggerfall and even Morrowind to some extent you could mix and match different pieces to get a unique look. That has returned with Skyrim.

I also like the fact that EVERYTHING.... I repeat EVERYTHING has value again! In Oblivion it was kinda pointless to break into people's homes as usually 90% of what was in there was worthless. It will be profitable to be a Thief again! That was probably the single biggest beef I had with Oblivion. Thieves were just Assassins with a few different skills as actual thievery was kinda pointless.

So far all of the worries I had before this game released have been put to bed and I'm having a great time playing. I thought getting rid of the Attribute system was a huge mistake but 8 levels in and I don't even miss it really. As for the reworked skills I'm finding them to be very well done as well. I love the fact that leveling feels more 'Skill Based' then any other TES game before.

So far it seems they have captured the charm of Morrowind with both the combat and finesse of both Daggerfall and Oblivion. I still don't really like the fact that you have to unequip something to cast a spell but it's not really stopping me from enjoying this masterpiece of a game.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }