Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Debunking Gaming Myths

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We've all heard those persistent rumors from politicians and others who are simply jealous because they're not making the big bucks. You know: "Video games cause violence." "Video games cause brain destruction." In today's Coyote's Howling, resident pundit Coyote Sharptongue debunks the most persistent myths. Keep reading!

The problem with this is; these myths simply aren’t true. They’re tired, old, media-driven clichés and they need to go away once and for all, so that we can focus on the real issues that affect all of us, like how the fat kid from Superbad looks really weird in those Modern Warfare commercials.

Read more Coyote's Howling: Debunking Gaming Myths.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Oh my... *feels sorry for Origin*

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

Outstanding article! I loved it from start to finish. Really well done, and rings true in a lot of ways. Bravo, sir!

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Speak on it ese, odelay holmes!!!!

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Per the addiction portion, if someone is addicted to video games, it's because they have an addictive personality. If video games weren't available to them, they would be addicted to gambling, or TV, or some other form of entertainment to lose themselves in and shut out the rest of the world.

• SquiggieSquiggie Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by sacredfool

A real gamer would never, ever, feel sorry for Origin...you must be an EA plant!!!

=p

• Mr.CoyoteMr.Coyote Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Squiggie

Originally posted by sacredfool

A real gamer would never, ever, feel sorry for Origin...you must be an EA plant!!!

=p

• NURTANURTA Member Posts: 21

" Men see the video game model of “perfection” and think… “Oh yeah. I totally look like that. "

And if anyone doubts this, go to a CON.

Excellent journalism Coy!

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Why should EA apologise to Steam when it was Steam trying to force EA's hand as the sole digital distibutor for game DLC that shot them in the foot anyway ?

EA tried to protect consumers and give them freedom of choice on where to buy the game and future DLC and due to people within the industry who havent done their homework EA comes out as the bad man.

Otherwise great read :)

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I love how people won't bat an eye telling someone they're addicted to video games, and will then go off and sink every God damned waking hour into updating their fantasy sports roster, reading up on player stats, and talking their friends ears off about new up and comers for a game that would be otherwise meaningless if we didn't pay people millions of dollars to be good at it.

Hypocrits.

• Micro_angelMicro_angel Member UncommonPosts: 87

yes, videogame lead to obesity cause after being 8 hours at work you go home and use all your spare time playing in a computer.

Go outside and do some exercise you fatty!!

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Love the article LOL "absolutely no fat content whatsoever" :P

I'm living proof that playing video games doesn't lead to obesity because recently i changed my diet to exclude all yeast bread switching to tortillas and rice cakes only. With no exercise in 1 month i lost 35 lbs and i play 3 MMO's. TAKE THAT rumor mill!

• PewpstashPewpstash Member Posts: 2

As always, a very insightful article.  My thanks to you Sir Coyote for bringing to light the important and discussion worthy topics.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Some of the WoW myths are actually in fact true, take this recent rape charge that resulted from players chatting on WoW.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_north_pinellas/tarpon_springs/world-of-warcraft-chat-leads-to-rape-charge

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

great article so true.

• BaowoulfBaowoulf Member UncommonPosts: 18

I suspect that guy had problems way before he started WoW or that if it wasn't WoW it could have been some other activity where he could have contact with minors that would have gotten him into trouble.

I love the article and about the puzzle game thing. Reminds me of all the jokes about the Konami code in games. Up down up down left right left right a b start or whatever. I swear one game had a code where it seemed I had to hit so many buttons I had to use both hands and a foot to make it work. No way a fat guy could pull that off.

• Sandor_PhrogSandor_Phrog Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Illyssia

Some of the WoW myths are actually in fact true, take this recent rape charge that resulted from players chatting on WoW.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_north_pinellas/tarpon_springs/world-of-warcraft-chat-leads-to-rape-charge

No Illyssia, that rape charge did not result from players chatting on WoW.  It resulted from the guy in question being a scumbag rapist.  WoW was merely the place where he found his victim.  If he had found her in a park, it wouldn't mean that the park attracts rapists.  If he had found her at a petting zoo, it wouldn't mean that the petting zoo attracts rapists.  So don't insinuate that MMOs attract rapists just because he found her in an MMO.

It's awful that online games have become yet another hunting ground for predators, but the problem is the predators, not the online games.  Evil douchebags like Spoonster make up a tiny minority of the human race, but a few of them can be found in every environment we inhabit and every social group we create.  They're in schools, churches, hosptials, offices, truck stops, goldfish farms, roadside taco stands - and yes, in MMOs.  They show up whereever they think they can find a victim; their presnece in online games is no more surprising or meaningful than their presence in malls or theme parks.

When a crime like this is committed, the blame lies 100% with the criminal and 0% with anyone or anything else.  Period.

• SputtRosaSputtRosa Member Posts: 18

The objectification of women in games is not a myth. The basis behind it, however, is. Games help perpetualize already existing issues, but no more than TV, media, fashion or pretty much anything else. The objectification is merely a symptom in this case. A marketing ploy. It's not the games' fault that it works. It does not, however, mean that it's irrelevant.

Statistics for this comes across my desk all day long. Most languages being male in their foundation is a significantly larger factor than games - for an interesting read on that topic, google Láadan, off topic as it may be.

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

My little brother is a former meth addict who has been clean now for several years.  He swears to this day that quitting meth was easier than quitting WoW. (Which he has tried to do many, many times)

• DnomsedDnomsed Member UncommonPosts: 261

Fantastic article!

Warhammer fanatic since '85.

• BaowoulfBaowoulf Member UncommonPosts: 18

I think you're thinking too much into it. I feel the point is that people trying to claim women in games are just things to look at with nothing more but those looks. While a cute woman is nice to look at. I have no problem with playing games with a strong female lead as long as the story/plot is good. Such as FF3 with Terra. I bet the same is true with women playing games where the main character in the story is a guy.

Too be honest now that I think of it I was too busy enjoying being able to transform into a wolf and werewolf in EQ I never cared about seeing how the female characters were designed. I think it's something noticed more in console games. Not to say there weren't young kids with way too much times on their hands running around with their female characters naked but they were usually morons who were ignored by other guys and girls alike.

• DaShnipaDaShnipa Member UncommonPosts: 33

Originally posted by czekoskwigel

My little brother is a former meth addict who has been clean now for several years.  He swears to this day that quitting meth was easier than quitting WoW. (Which he has tried to do many, many times)

Addictive personality... Hopefully he can find a different outlet/hobby.

As for the article. True but also really really friggin funny. 

Main Rig --- i7 920 @ 3.6ghz//6GB Patriot XGS DDR3 1600@1804 mhz CAS9//HAF 932//Corsair HX1000//ASUS P6T Deluxe//2xMSI GTX570 Twin Frozr II SLI//64GB Patriot Torqx SSD// 1TB Seagate HDD

Secondary --- Macbook :)

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Good read, but please explain this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPXzD8jArgs hahaha :)

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by SputtRosa

The objectification of women in games is not a myth. The basis behind it, however, is. Games help perpetualize already existing issues, but no more than TV, media, fashion or pretty much anything else. The objectification is merely a symptom in this case. A marketing ploy. It's not the games' fault that it works. It does not, however, mean that it's irrelevant.

Statistics for this comes across my desk all day long. Most languages being male in their foundation is a significantly larger factor than games - for an interesting read on that topic, google Láadan, off topic as it may be.

Whatever, professor. 

More boobs, please. 

Steam > Origin.

Thanks, Coyote.

/exeuntcaveman

• LooleeLoolee Member Posts: 5

"bonerocity"

*giggle-snorts*

• FikusIIFikusII Member Posts: 45

3d avatar based mmo world simulation with combat? Stayed away from that one huh?