Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim can has infinite quests :o

DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Very interesting article, for those who didn't know this yet. (Me, for one).

There's a radiant quest mechanic which will generate quests (also for factions) after you are done with the specific storyline quests. So you can keep on thieving and assassinating with a reason and incentive for ever and ever.

Very smart addition! I always ended up feeling sad after completing most of the faction storylines in TES games; after that you have to entertain yourself but it's much more immersive if you are given tasks now and then. So this should really take care of that feeling of emptiness.

Linkage: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/11/skyrim-infinite-quests/

Comments

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

Stop making the few days before release feel like eternity!

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by Bakkoda24

Stop making the few days before release feel like eternity!

Tick...tock...tick...tock...

Yup, time is crawling at a snail's pace right now image

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• ChloroCatChloroCat Member Posts: 98

<cry> It will never be 11-11-11. I want something to play so bad. I can't keep <cough> going. Need <gag> <cough> this too....b....gooo

Jymm Byuu
    Playing : Blood Bowl. Waiting for 2. Holding breath for Archeage and EQN.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

I am counting the hours . And as fate would have it I just got my beta invite for swtor that also starts on the 11th. 

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

*hoofstomps all four posters*

Get a grip you guys!

You can always:

Clean your room / house

Do a chore you keep postponing

Do your taxes

Send some emails to folks you didn't speak for a long time

Walk the dog / gerbil / pony

It will make you feel better about yourselves when it's 11-11-11 and your first play session will feel extra rewarding.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Redcor

I am counting the hours . And as fate would have it I just got my beta invite for swtor that also starts on the 11th. 

Unless you're on the fence of whether to pick up SWTOR or not, I'd suggest not trying the beta. You'll spoil your enjoyment of gameplay content at release.

Besides, Skyrim.

Infintie quests, infinite dragons.

steam says 1 day 11 hours. I wonder if D2D  will unlock at midnight as well ?

-Robert E. Howard

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by DarkPony

There's a radiant quest mechanic which will generate quests (also for factions) after you are done with the specific storyline quests. So you can keep on thieving and assassinating with a reason and incentive for ever and ever.

Very smart addition! I always ended up feeling sad after completing most of the faction storylines in TES games; after that you have to entertain yourself but it's much more immersive if you are given tasks now and then. So this should really take care of that feeling of emptiness.

I KNOW! image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Ceridith

Unless you're on the fence of whether to pick up SWTOR or not, I'd suggest not trying the beta. You'll spoil your enjoyment of gameplay content at release.

Besides, Skyrim.

Infintie quests, infinite dragons.

I thought about that but i decided to try a class thats way down on my list.  

-Robert E. Howard

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

All copies of Skyrim have steamworks integration, so either way you'll be going through steam, which means steam's release timer will lock you out of the game until then.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

Most quests in Oblivion were incredibly boring so let's hope they at least made the normal done right this time.

• Alphabeta2Alphabeta2 Member Posts: 35

That's definitely an interesting idea for a game to last forever, it'll leave you with something to do if you're bored and feeling like beating on some ogres or something. XD I'm all for this idea. I don't get how it would annoy people to always have something to do.....MMO's do it all the time.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Lets just face some facts. These quests will NOT be as in depth as main story quests, otherwise its going to be a series of duplicate repeating quests that have no 'uniqueness' behind them. The word infinite only makes me think it likely generates quests randomly and fills them out based on certain parameters that adjust according to whatever the game designers have thought out. Its not going to be anywhere near as good or in depth as a question thats hand tailored for lets say a main story.

That being said, it can be a nice addition to the game. Sure its not going to be some stylish quest that you will remember forever, but its still an extra area of gameplay to keep you entertained. The biggest issue is just how long those quests will keep you involved.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Lets just face some facts. These quests will NOT be as in depth as main story quests, otherwise its going to be a series of duplicate repeating quests that have no 'uniqueness' behind them. The word infinite only makes me think it likely generates quests randomly and fills them out based on certain parameters that adjust according to whatever the game designers have thought out. Its not going to be anywhere near as good or in depth as a question thats hand tailored for lets say a main story.

That being said, it can be a nice addition to the game. Sure its not going to be some stylish quest that you will remember forever, but its still an extra area of gameplay to keep you entertained. The biggest issue is just how long those quests will keep you involved.

Yup. But to give an example: I loved the Dark brotherhood questline in Oblivion which were a range of assinations, some very elaborate but some very simple, leaving much open to the player. FONV had some of those straight forward ones too.

Simple quests like that can easily generated and still provide meaningful, immersive content after you are done with a faction's main questline. In that sense you don't have to feel like a retired master of the Dark Brotherhood anymore but can still practice your craft whenever you like.

• I just hope that the game repopulates towns and cities with new npcs. Because with this feature my assassin is going to be seriously earning his paycheck, mwahahaha. I've actually made omnicidal maniac characters in past Elder Scrolls game, with the goal to kill as many named npcs as possible. Because, you know, I could.

Mehrunes Dagon seemed to get a kick out of it.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by Ceridith

All copies of Skyrim have steamworks integration, so either way you'll be going through steam, which means steam's release timer will lock you out of the game until then.

You can actually go to direct2drive now and get your key and download the files. But all you need is the key. Add the key to steam and it adds the game to the library. You can then start the preload download. They started this for all preorders through D2D and steam yesterday about 5 EST.

Now the wait for steam to unlock my preloaded software.  *looks at watch....looks at it again...and again...again...again...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Definite improvement over coimng to an end of faction quests.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Get a grip you guys!

You can always:

Clean your room / house

Do your taxes

It will make you feel better about yourselves when it's 11-11-11 and your first play session will feel extra rewarding.

Today I cleaned my car...

Originally posted by alakram

Get a grip you guys!

You can always:

Clean your room / house

Do your taxes

Today I cleaned my car...

Not sure about the condition is was in before you cleaned it, but well done.

*hands out carrot*

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Hope these are easy to access so modders can incorporate their own after the default ones tire out.  Might be kind of neat.

Originally posted by uohaloran

Hope these are easy to access so modders can incorporate their own after the default ones tire out.  Might be kind of neat.

Yeah, for sure. Or at least make the objectives a lot harder by pumping npc stats and gear if they end up being too easy.

Curious if they will still employ their leveled list system from FO3 and Oblivion, by the way. I always hated it and installed total conversions which took it away: it's much more realistic and exciting when some monsters / npc's are utterly lethal when you are untrained and low leveled.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Get a grip you guys!

You can always:

There's also the potential of digging Oblivion or Morrowind archives off the file server, then running around in the old stomping grounds.  I just started the Dark Brotherhood quests again... gotta love it.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

Get a grip you guys!

You can always:

Clean your room / house

Do your taxes

I plan on getting all the shopping, vacuuming, dishes, laundry and what not done before friday... 'coz I ain't doing any of that on friday, that's for sure. The parrot can sit on my shoulder while I play, so no need to walk him. I bet he'll soon be screaming FUS RO DAH at everybody who tries to approach him image

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Damnit Pony, it's 2 days away.  Stop...

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Get a grip you guys!

You can always:

There's also the potential of digging Oblivion or Morrowind archives off the file server, then running around in the old stomping grounds.  I just started the Dark Brotherhood quests again... gotta love it.

Yeah... I've been playing a lot of Oblivion the last month or so to get in the right mindset for Skyrim. Seems to be working fine so far. Well not that I really stopped playing Oblivion as it's been on my Hard Drive since 2006 or so when I first bought it. It's probably the only game that I've not ever deleted since I first installed it. (Well, I've upgraded computers a couple of times but TES is always one of the first installs with a tranfer of all my saves and mods from the old one.) The only other games to have that distinction are Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Fallout 3 and Fallout NV. I'm hoping Skyrim follows this trend as well.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }