Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Why the F2P Trend Won’t Last

1235»

Comments

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

The F2P model is like getting everything ala carte.  I like paying for the whole buffet up front.   I wonder how many of DCUO F2P players are still there playing after two weeks?  How many will be there after two months?  I know the model makes game companies more money on their older games that are bleeding out with no players but when you have a player base even half the size of WoW's and can hold those sub players.  That's a lot of cash.

I don't mind if companies decide they want to try more free to play models, just give people that enjoy the ALL IN ONE sub payment an option as well.  I have a life sub to Lotro and don't even play anymore because I hate the constant, STOP, add tokens to continue this ride feel of the free to play model now.  If GW2 offered a choice to pay a sub and not have to deal with microtransactions - I'd be happier for that as well.

No bitchers.

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325

Originally posted by WSIMike

What they're saying, to summarize, is that Sub-based MMOs fail when they're not good enough. And taking it a step further, they fail when they're not good enough to enough people.

That's a failing of the game, not the revenue model.

Second, your statement about people getting older, feeling $15 isn't justified due to less time to play is a pretty big generalization, as it assumes a number of things about people that you couldn't possibly know. You can't just neatly fit everyone in a certain category into a neat little box like that. I'm certainly more mature, I have less time to play MMOs and I still prefer a subscription model. 

Sorry for the late response.

Regarding MMO quality, my point was that it's hard to create a new game that's very high quality enough. Older games have a lot of content, which is hard to match, and in addition quality is subjective. What long time players might consider "high quality" is something unique or hard, which will have limited appeal.

Regarding the second point, of course it's a generalisation, but it's exactly why the hybrid model works. Some people want a sub and some don't. I'd bet that most people would prefer not to pay one, but that doesn't matter. A model which provides both is likely to succeed more than a model which only caters to those who want subs.