Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Fansite Summit #2 Reactions

2»

Comments

• Maverz290Maverz290 Member Posts: 447

Makes me laugh when gamers call themselves hardcore. There's nothing hardcore about spending a long time sat a computer playing video games.

Obsessive is the word you're looking for.

In a holiday, yeah I'll play nonstop for a whole day sometimes. However, for midweek? Work takes over. Weekends? I have things to do too, see people etc, but I do try and get some gaming in. A ton of people will reach endgame relatively quickly, but that's the same in everygame. It doesn't mean it's doing you any good.

As for the appearance tab? Boo for buckling, but yay for listening to the wants of RP'ers as I'm aware there are a large number of them walking about.

Longing for Skyrim, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

"The only thing that’s setting off alarms for me at the moment is BioWare’s stance towards those early morning players who look for opportunities to take the objectives uncontested."

I think it's great. It's open world PvP, it's supposed to have no rules, no balance. It's a warzone. Time to drop the instanced and "fair" PvP attitude to the trashcan when talking about Ilum :) There will be servers where the otherside will dominate Ilum, sure go ahead, I'll take your precious Ilum when you are at asleep and your guard is down, and exploit your resources then. I love it, the worst thing Bioware could do would be to turn it into a damned instance like their own "open world PvP objective based zone" Wintergrasp, please, not that crap (though I'm afraid vocal whining minority on forums might change it to that, add some stupid reset timers and player limits and what not *sob*).

Everything looks great, can-not-wait! :)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

It’s going to end up being pretty silly if the only time people try to flip the zone is when no one is actually around to fight. Players tend to gravitate towards the path of least resistance, and so I feel allowing this sort of thing could be detrimental to the health of the entire experience.

Theres no way to stop this sort of behavior except to have it run during specific times (ala Wintergrasp or Tol Borad) 

To me this is pefectly acceptable as it ensures world PvP can be found at any time.  I despise the notion that a developer can solve any population balances through external means such as this, World PvP is suppose to be on-going, dynamic and not frought without perils.  Its the reason why GW2 is going to this open world PvP.  The simple solution is if you want to make sure it doesnt ahppen pull an all nighter lol. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Omoshiroi! ... It sounds good. An appearance tab is something very popular, so I appreciate they follow (this time!) the wishes of the majority.

I think a non-resetting PVP zone is good. I played WAR, and the RVR was enjoyable, if only for a limited time when it became "SSDD". I am curious how this open world PVP will be. Will there be "keeps" to defend with walls to breach? I loved that aspect of WAR, and nothing was so funny like raining down fire with my Bright Wizard on the legions of chaos! :)

"Once more into the breach dear friends, or fill the gap with dead Republic Soldiers!"

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• jchris21jchris21 Member Posts: 1

You are confusing the "Modification System" for something its not, its purpose has to do with the "stats" of the item, i.e. armor strenght etc. So the appearance tab will have no conflict with this. Cheers

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

I would love to have appearance tab made similar to DCUO - but with more restrictions for armor type. In DCUO there is no armor restrictions for any classes, so showing which armor type is used on the character is pointless. In TOR armor type plays role, so restricting players to have armor appearance for the armors of the same type only would be wise (so you can easily judge the heavy-armored tank and the healer wearing robes out of the crowd in PvP). As for the appearence telling how powerful your enemy is - I believe that developers already anounced that items will be responcible for no more than 10-15% of player power in PvP, so this shouldn't be a problem if you can't tell for sure if this particular guy is in all epics.

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

Originally posted by Maverz290

Makes me laugh when gamers call themselves hardcore. There's nothing hardcore about spending a long time sat a computer playing video games.

People often laugh at things and people they completely don't understand. )))

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by jchris21

You are confusing the "Modification System" for something its not, its purpose has to do with the "stats" of the item, i.e. armor strenght etc. So the appearance tab will have no conflict with this. Cheers

No, I think you don't understand what he meant:

Supposedly a lot of the gear, also non-class based gear, will be highly modable. Or was intended to be highly modable at launch. That means that people will have the freedom to pick the gear they think that look best and modify it to make it useful and (almost) up to par with modded class based gear.

i.e.: item stats not meaning so much, but a much bigger impact from the mods you use.

In theory that would have been a more elegant and realistic solution, rather than using one set of gear for stats and one set for looks which is kind of artifical. As the only gear you'll be putting mods in now, is your best class based gear for that extra 1% of stat increasement rather than doing your best to get the best mods in order to make that sand-people garb work for you; you'll just use it for appearance.

Anyway, there are pro's to a fully functional appearance tab too, but I like very extensive modding and less importance to item stats themselves better.