Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'VE HAD ENOUGH!

default-default- Member Posts: 29

1.  ITS LAGGY

2.  PEOPLE KEEP DISAPPEARING

3.  I'VE CRASHED 4 TIMES ALREADY

4.  THE WORLD IS EMPTY

5.  YOU CAN TALK TO NPC'S BUT IT'S POINTLESS

6.  THE MARKET IS WAY OVER PRICED AND DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH USEFUL ITEMS

7.  WE HAVE NO STARTER EQUIPMENT

8.  WE HAVE NO INSTRUCTIONS

9.  THE NOOB EMAIL IS TOO EASY TO AUTOMATICALLY DELETE OR JUST *DISAPPEARS*

10.  TRAVELLING IS EASY BUT EVERY CITY HAS THE SAME CRAP, WITH NOTHING TO DO!

11.  WTF!  THIS IS BAD!

12.  CHAT IS HORRIBLE!  EITHER PEOPLE DON'T RESPOND OR THEY DON'T SEE THE CHAT!

13.  DO WE DO MISSIONS?  DO WE MINE?  WHAT DO WE DO?  WHERE DO WE DO IT?

14.  THE IRC CHANNEL SUCKS!  IT'S A MODERATED CHANNEL SO NOBODY CAN TALK AND ASK QUESTIIONS!

15.  THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!  WTF!  TOO MUCH TRAFFIC?  DAMMIT!

16.  I PAID 50cr TO TRAVEL SOMEWHERE, THE GAME CRASHED, AND I'M ALL THE WAY BACK IN MY APARTMENT, ARGH!

Explorer: 80% // Achiever: 53% // Socializer: 33% // Killer: 33%

Comments

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    I feel your pain, a very bad effort from Duplex. image
  • default-default- Member Posts: 29

17.  I FOUND THE MISSION PANEL.. ITS HARD TO USE, BUT ITS THERE....

18.  I HAD A MISSION, TRAVEL TO PEGASIS TO DO SOME MINING, HERE YOU'LL GET MATERIALS TO MAKE SOME ARMOR

19.  I CLICKED 'REVIEW' AND IT CANCELLED THE MISSION, NOW I CANNOT JOIN A NEW MISSION.

Explorer: 80% // Achiever: 53% // Socializer: 33% // Killer: 33%

• zimquatszimquats Member Posts: 301

1.  ITS LAGGY

Ihad no real lag and I was getting nice frames.  Gameplay was pretty smooth here

2.  PEOPLE KEEP DISAPPEARING

This is pretty bad.  Just turning and people go poof.  I think this will be fixed quick, cuz how can you kill something you cant see.

3.  I'VE CRASHED 4 TIMES ALREADY

I never had any problem with this.

4.  THE WORLD IS EMPTY

Word

5.  YOU CAN TALK TO NPC'S BUT IT'S POINTLESS

Yep, pretty much

6.  THE MARKET IS WAY OVER PRICED AND DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH USEFUL ITEMS

It seemed like everything was the exact same price.  I couldet find item descriptions to see what I was looking at

7.  WE HAVE NO STARTER EQUIPMENT

Nadda, I spent 2 hours trying to just get a gun, I never ended up getting one

8.  WE HAVE NO INSTRUCTIONS

Very little info if at all. 

9.  THE NOOB EMAIL IS TOO EASY TO AUTOMATICALLY DELETE OR JUST *DISAPPEARS*

no mail button info, cant see what you are pressing

10.  TRAVELLING IS EASY BUT EVERY CITY HAS THE SAME CRAP, WITH NOTHING TO DO!

Yep pretty much

11.  WTF!  THIS IS BAD!

12.  CHAT IS HORRIBLE!  EITHER PEOPLE DON'T RESPOND OR THEY DON'T SEE THE CHAT!

I think mostly people just dont have the answers, I mean chat is chat.

13.  DO WE DO MISSIONS?  DO WE MINE?  WHAT DO WE DO?  WHERE DO WE DO IT?

Learning curve here I think, I was pretty confused and honstly I didnt have the energy to try and figure it out

14.  THE IRC CHANNEL SUCKS!  IT'S A MODERATED CHANNEL SO NOBODY CAN TALK AND ASK QUESTIIONS!

Never tried that, sounds pretty bad though

15.  THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!  WTF!  TOO MUCH TRAFFIC?  DAMMIT!

Yep to much traffic, it happens

16.  I PAID 50cr TO TRAVEL SOMEWHERE, THE GAME CRASHED, AND I'M ALL THE WAY BACK IN MY APARTMENT, ARGH!

Man I would contact the DEVS ASAP and get my 50c Back!!

• NuclearDraftNuclearDraft Member Posts: 31
    Ya i was totally confused when i first logged in too. image I mean if they intend to fix all this stuff thats great but if this is really even close to what they intend to put out in March I don't think the game will do very well at all...

---War Kills---
    ---Peace Lives---

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

It is slightly frustrating, I admit. I am a moderator on the forums but alas the forums are down so I can't get an idea of what is going on. I wish I could help you all with these problems but I am experiencing some of them myself. Believe me, Duplex Systems is very responsive and will fix the problem as soon as possible. Ironically enough there are help files and tutorials on the forums, but unfortunately we run into the forum problem again.

This is their coming out game in the MMO industry and they are going to do everything it takes to make this happen. Please bear with us. ::::19::

• DesalusDesalus Member UncommonPosts: 848

So right now I'm gettin the impression that it is not even worth downloading the game to try it out. Is that about right?

Oh btw, if you're actually in the beta to 'test' it, sure looks like you have your hands filled with all those bug reports to fill out ::::02::.

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Socializer 53%, Explorer 33%, Achiever 26%

• S31ApocS31Apoc Member Posts: 37

Network issues are a KILLER... market is stagnet at moment & ITS VERY BUGGY.... I can see where the game is going but its VERY SCREWY right now...

Its Far from 2 months ready to go..

§31-ÀÞØÇ
    http://www.s31clan.com
    You Will all Beg for Mercy! In Vain!!
    "Regis Mark V"
    Revenge Is a Dish Best Served Cold !!
    "Klingon Proverb"
    As a Human I will not Worship any being out there! I can not Lower myself !!
    "Apocalypse"
    Can you love a creature that would even ask you to kill your own son? no matter the reason
    "Apocalypse"
    Konichiwa Bitches!!

• FizblixFizblix Member UncommonPosts: 130

This ideas behind the game are great.  Implementation of those Ideas is sad.

This game looks to me like some highschool kids tried to remake Neocron for a computer programming project.  Everything in this game is an amateur attempt at copying something from Neocron.   I didn't care for neocron, personally, but this game makes Neocron look like a masterpiece.

The UI designer might want to find a new line of work.

The 3D Model designer needs to take some classes at the local Junior college.

They need to hire a content team or if there is one, they need to show up for work sometime and add content.

Mostly Harmless Guild   ♦  Youtube  ♦  Sponsored by Mr. Beer

Originally posted by Yoottos'Horg

It is slightly frustrating, I admit. I am a moderator on the forums but alas the forums are down so I can't get an idea of what is going on. I wish I could help you all with these problems but I am experiencing some of them myself. Believe me, Duplex Systems is very responsive and will fix the problem as soon as possible. Ironically enough there are help files and tutorials on the forums, but unfortunately we run into the forum problem again.
    This is their coming out game in the MMO industry and they are going to do everything it takes to make this happen. Please bear with us. ::::19::

Sorry Yoottos but FoM is just plain bad, there is no other word for it.  As a veteran of MMO's since the early days of UO I can honestly say that I have rarely come across a title as FUBAR as this so close to it's so called release date.

IMO FoM is at least a year away from being anywhere near finished and this is a conservative estimate.  What's more the technology behind the game is old and dated and by the time it's ready for release will be even more so.

Better titles have gone to the wall, Dragon Empires, Warhammer online etc.  because the people behind them realised that they could not compete and Duplex in all honesty should follow suit with FoM.

I applaud Duplex for daring to be different but in order to make that a success they need a huge wow factor that stuns the player into at least giving it a chance, FoM doesn't have that in any aspect of the game.  As another poster said it looks and feels like a poor Neocron clone and that just doesn't cut it.

If I had one word of advice for Duplex it would be 'TUTORIAL'  FoM is screaming out for one.

Bottom line is a pat on the back for Duplex but sorry guys, this game isn't going to make it.  Too many terminal illnesses to ever get well image

• MorriganMorrigan Member Posts: 242

It is a beta, not sure if you expected an actual "game to play" or what. Meander over to the FOM forums and when you can, get on and post this to them. That is the point of a beta.

The expectations of it being a "game" at any point in a beta is ridiculous.

Granted, it isn't my cup of tea, and yes you are right with all these issues, however this isn't where it will make a difference to the gaming company.

One player's great game is another players derisive snort!
    http://www.darthmyr.com for free guild forums

• Dirk_GentlyDirk_Gently Member Posts: 193

Well def that is a pretty good description of the first 12 hours of every Open Beta ever. ::::01::

Yeah it is worth downloading, (unless you can't cope with having to work things out for yourself, in which case don't bother) I'm getting a little bit of lag and npcs are disappearing on me but apart from that it's pretty stable. Everything about the controls is fairly straight forward if you've ever played another fps view rpg so you'll pick it up quickly, but as the others have said the lack of an in-game tutorial means that you have to work it out yourself. In-game chat does work but there are only about 3 people bothering to use it, which given that it is very easy to use is annoying. I played Neocron for 2 years and FoMk really doesn't remind me off it at all it reminds me far more of Deus Ex.

All it needs at the moment is for the forum to come back up and duplex to knock up a tutorial so players know what they are meant to be doing, also it needs pop up text boxes in-game (i can't remember the proper name for them) so you know what everything on your hud does. Also if other people are getting crashes then that needs to be fixed but tbh in the first few hours of the Open Beta stress test you'd expect this. As I said before it is definitely promising but in games like this if the vast majority of the community insist on running about randomnly shooting at people or totally ignoring the other players then it isn't going to work. As far as the in-game mail goes, press the button that quite blatently means 'read mail'.

It's definitely one to have a crack at over the OB period but remember that it's beta and as things stand it isn't ready for release.

Originally posted by eric1000
    What's more the technology behind the game is old and dated and by the time it's ready for release will be even more so.

I rather expected that because it's a large scale real-time FPS PvP game and frankly you can't run that on modern technology online unless you go for tiny environments like basic fps'. Even Planetside gives you bucket loads of system lag in big battles and that is hardly state of the art, ultimately I can handle AvP2 graphics as long as it runs ok at launch in a big battle.

A good wife deserves more than half the praise, just as a bad one deserves more than half the blame. - Tacitus

Originally posted by Morrigan

It is a beta, not sure if you expected an actual "game to play" or what. Meander over to the FOM forums and when you can, get on and post this to them. That is the point of a beta.
    The expectations of it being a "game" at any point in a beta is ridiculous.
    Granted, it isn't my cup of tea, and yes you are right with all these issues, however this isn't where it will make a difference to the gaming company.

This attitude always makes me laUgh and if this were a closed beta we were talking about I would agree with you.  Hello, heads up as FoM is supposedly only one and a half months from retail release!!!

I have played MMO's in beta 2 that have been more complete than this trash and showed a helluva lot more promise.

This attitude always makes me laUgh and if this were a closed beta we were talking about I would agree with you. Hello, heads up as FoM is supposedly only one and a half months from retail release!!!

Attitude or not Eric, it is a fact, it is a beta, beta = bugs, regardless of what stage it is in. To think that you should/would be walking in to what is a playable game, finished, polished is what cracks me up.

month and a half is a long time, and I doubt that it will stay in this state. That is what cracks me up, the mentality that you share with the belief that an open beta is for game play. It is still a beta.

And yes I have participated in many beta's as well, some complete "trash" as you define it, and only one that had a polished feel to it.

Not every company has the extreme funding to provide that. This is their opportunity to get it done, hopefully get it ironed out, and then get it right before it becomes a "game".

There isn't anything wrong with this that can't be fixed fairly quickly. Most of the problems are people, in the absence of a tutorial doing really dumb things that they wouldn't dream of doing in a single player game: Clicking the X over a picture of a letter on the mail screen and wondering why it deletes their mail, moving their inventory items into the trash can and wondering why they vanish..........

I mean come on.

Although the best ones are the people who come on forums having played a little bit of the first 12 hours of Open Beta and rave about it being brilliant or rant about it being crap. ::::39::

My concern is rather more that the game will just degenerate into a gankfest. There are all ready people running around ganking everyone they see who doesn't have a weapon.

Just to go on topic:

1. ITS LAGGY
    For you maybe.
    2. PEOPLE KEEP DISAPPEARING
    Sometimes they do. Just relog and it fixes it for me.
    3. I'VE CRASHED 4 TIMES ALREADY
    It's beta, I crash that often in retail on some games.
    4. THE WORLD IS EMPTY
    That's because it was the middle of the night in Europe
    5. YOU CAN TALK TO NPC'S BUT IT'S POINTLESS
    You're only testing that they work at this stage of the open beta.
    6. THE MARKET IS WAY OVER PRICED AND DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH USEFUL ITEMS
    There are player items on now so that has changed.
    7. WE HAVE NO STARTER EQUIPMENT
    And??
    8. WE HAVE NO INSTRUCTIONS
    Yep that is an absolute bugger.
    9. THE NOOB EMAIL IS TOO EASY TO AUTOMATICALLY DELETE OR JUST *DISAPPEARS*
    I'd get banned for flaming you so won't respond to that, but it doesn't just disappear.
    10. TRAVELLING IS EASY BUT EVERY CITY HAS THE SAME CRAP, WITH NOTHING TO DO!
    That's because it's the begining of Open Beta and the storyline isn't running yet
    11. WTF! THIS IS BAD!
    In your opinion, I wouldn't say it rocked my world but it seems like it has alot of potential.
    12. CHAT IS HORRIBLE! EITHER PEOPLE DON'T RESPOND OR THEY DON'T SEE THE CHAT!
    Only if they have the chat window closed, chat is the same as most other games (though the absence of a global chat is a pain). I had a nice conversation with people and we worked out what we should be doing.
    13. DO WE DO MISSIONS? DO WE MINE? WHAT DO WE DO? WHERE DO WE DO IT?
    All of those things. Look around, it isn't difficult.
    14. THE IRC CHANNEL SUCKS! IT'S A MODERATED CHANNEL SO NOBODY CAN TALK AND ASK QUESTIIONS!
    Yep indeed.
    15. THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED! WTF! TOO MUCH TRAFFIC? DAMMIT!
    Yep that's because idiots spent all yesterday morning spamming about beta,
    16. I PAID 50cr TO TRAVEL SOMEWHERE, THE GAME CRASHED, AND I'M ALL THE WAY BACK IN MY APARTMENT, ARGH!
    Yeah that is a pain in the ass.

A good wife deserves more than half the praise, just as a bad one deserves more than half the blame. - Tacitus

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Morrigan
    This attitude always makes me laUgh and if this were a closed beta we were talking about I would agree with you. Hello, heads up as FoM is supposedly only one and a half months from retail release!!!

Attitude or not Eric, it is a fact, it is a beta, beta = bugs, regardless of what stage it is in. To think that you should/would be walking in to what is a playable game, finished, polished is what cracks me up.

month and a half is a long time, and I doubt that it will stay in this state. That is what cracks me up, the mentality that you share with the belief that an open beta is for game play. It is still a beta.

And yes I have participated in many beta's as well, some complete "trash" as you define it, and only one that had a polished feel to it.

Not every company has the extreme funding to provide that. This is their opportunity to get it done, hopefully get it ironed out, and then get it right before it becomes a "game".

Actually I have to disagree with part of it even though much of it I do agree with. If your a business and you don't have a sound grasp and have implemented what you think the game should be like within 2 months of release and just be going after the small nagging and annoying things, your in trouble. I am not saying the game should be done, I am saying though that the final goal should be clear. Now is not the time to start talking about conceptual changes to the game. A tester should be able to see the very near end result and be able to TEST it for atleast those 2 months. Unless ofcourse there is no care for long term playability or high level content in the game. Then sure, having to rework it this close to release is fine.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Fadeus

Actually I have to disagree with part of it even though much of it I do agree with. If your a business and you don't have a sound grasp and have implemented what you think the game should be like within 2 months of release and just be going after the small nagging and annoying things, your in trouble. I am not saying the game should be done, I am saying though that the final goal should be clear. Now is not the time to start talking about conceptual changes to the game. A tester should be able to see the very near end result and be able to TEST it for atleast those 2 months. Unless ofcourse there is no care for long term playability or high level content in the game. Then sure, having to rework it this close to release is fine.

There aren't any really big problems, it crashes for some people and there is no tutorial which there should be. Ultimately it is a FPS based around PvP and you are in the first 24 hours of Open Beta so the storyline isn't running yet, what exactly are you expecting??? (Incidentally I put some more memory in my machine this morning and characters don't vanish anymore)

Most of the stuff in this thread appears to be, "I want to play EQ2, how dare someone produce a FPS in our precious little RPG world"

Originally posted by Dirk_Gently

There aren't any really big problems, it crashes for some people and there is no tutorial. Ultimately it is a FPS based around PvP and you are in the first 24 hours of Open Beta so the storyline isn't running yet, what exactly are you expecting??? (Incidentally I put some more memory in my machine this morning and characters don't vanish anymore)

Most of the stuff in this thread appears to be, "I want to play EQ2, how dare someone produce a FPS in our precious little RPG world"

I wasnt speaking about this game. I was speaking about the Morrigan's statement in regard to a month and a half being a long time off for a game company to finish a game. I said no, they should be able to test a very near final or final product by then otherwise they can NOT say the game has been fully tested and is "complete" when released on the public.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

You are right, I should have been a bit more clear, the bugs I see, and those mentioned here I do not forsee as unsurmountable to having that corrected compared to the amount of time remaining for release :) But it still brings me to the point, beta = bugs, even an open one to the public. That is the point of the beta's. Or so I thought :)

Nice to see you again Fadeus :)

oops snuck in before you Dirk LOL

I wasnt speaking about this game. I was speaking about the Morrigan's statement in regard to a month and a half being a long time off for a game company to finish a game. I said no, they should be able to test a very near final or final product by then otherwise they can NOT say the game has been fully tested and is "complete" when released on the public.

Sorry man, wasn't meaning to have a go at you. I was more not understanding all of the "OMG there are huge bugs everywhere, it sucks." stuff. Yeah there are bugs, but there aren't any really major ones that will take a long time to fix (unless the port error thing is written in like fatals were in Neocron). The main problem is that there isn't a tutorial and that is not difficult to fix surely??

Don't worry, I didn't take anything offensive about your post. I can completely relate to how all the negative attitude can get to a person. Just remember, the smart ones do read all the good and BAD with a grain of salt and draw their own conclusions from that. I am not going to just read all the slams on the game and take that as the final word, I do however consider it.

I honestly never really had much interest in this game, never followed it, so what I have read about it here honestly don't mean a whole lot.

- Scaris

The negative attitudes are not what get me, it is the unrealistic expectations. I watch, I read, I try (even though Sci-Fi is definitely not my choice).

Watching another game closely due for release soon, and what has me very curious? No mention at all of an open beta, appears to head straight for release. And those that post there, are still willing to give it a shot.

There are some saying they want an open beta, a few that say without a beta try won't buy, but on the whole the community there is ready, open beta or not.

Let's just see how this method pans out :)

well, I think a majority of the people that are crying for an open beta in any game are those that want to get some free playtime and not really try to improve the quality of the game with work. I did say the MAJORITY, not all.

There are only 2 MMO's that sound extremely exciting to me right now, one is in production, thats Star Trek Online. I think that would be a very fulfilling Sci-Fi if they do it well. The other its hard to say if it ever becomes an MMO and that would be "The Elder Scrolls - Online". I dunno if that will ever happen though.

- Scaris

exactly my point :) free game time, the perception of an open beta = playing not finding bugs, or reporting them.

• necbonenecbone Member Posts: 358

this was frustrating...

i dunno if FoM is going to work out...

controls suck even when i re-binded everything

enjoyed being a cop, but the whole mission situation needs help

movement, interacting with stuff, and chatting needs to be simple and easy

Originally posted by rentantilus

I don't care how uberkewl you think you are because you can say "I use unix," or linux, or whatever the hell the popular underground operating system is this week, 95% of EARTH'S computers use Windows. Not 95% of America, 95% of THE ENTIRE WORLD. Make your game so that it works best in Windows FIRST, then worry about translating it into all of the trendy little garage operating systems later on. This doesn't just go for network code, connection protocols, or compatibility, either. Make your game's user interface look like or at least work like the standard Windows environment. I know, I know, you sound so hardcore when you badmouth Bill Gates* or talk about the security holes in Windows XP, but the fact is, tens of thousands of people created, update, and continue to develop Windows on a daily basis. With all of the rest, you never know what you're getting. MAKE GAMES FOR WINDOWS.

On the FAQ it says that FoMk isn't designed for Linux and is Windows only. So.....probably just scary ::::06::

My reaction to the game is that it has alot of potential once the few glaringly obvious problems are ironed out, but has anyone actually been in closed beta???