Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the first MMO to kill another MMO?

Comments

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

FF14 simply suicided by poisoning itself just before jumping off a cliff, wrapped in timed explosives, using a fake name 'FF' to trick good old fans.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Beacker

I would have to call out SWTOR. Its the first MMO I known to have actually killed another MMO.

But maybe I am not to informed on the history of MMO. Has there ever been another MMORPG other than SWTOR to kill another MMO?

You can't really argue this yet since the game is not out. Everyone says this about every MMO before it is released that it will kill this MMO or that MMO. I hope SW does very well but we will see after the 30, 60, and 90 day marks of Star Wars after release. Until then this arguement just doesn't work. We hear this for every new MMO that is almost out.

huh? SOE already announced this awhile ago

Who said anything about SOE?

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by Butregenyo

FF14 simply suicided by poisoning itself just before jumping off a cliff, wrapped in timed explosives, using a fake name 'FF' to trick good old fans.

True Words!!

+100

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

So maybe Cryptic goes under, loses the IP, and there could be a decent Star Trek game in our lifetime?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Raserei

Sierra's The Realm, one of the first graphical MMORPG's lost a hefty portion of players when Everquest and Asheron's Call released. All three of the games are still running. All three of these games are amazing. 

I wish some newer developers took the time to check out old MMORPG's along with the new MMORPG's to get a feel on how they grew and where they went wrong.

Sierra was bought by AT&T which later sold off to AOL.

As for the realm:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Realm_Online

From which you can see it's still technically running at:  http://www.realmserver.com/

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

AC1 killed AC2, indirectly.

I don't think any MMO, including SWTOR, has or will kill off another MMO by stealing players from it. But I think a few have died because they failed to live up to expectations set by a prequel or similiar type of game. AC2 was an okay game, but it did very little like AC1, this difference and the fact that most AC1 players weren't interested in it, helped to kill it off.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by bobfish

AC1 killed AC2, indirectly.

I don't think any MMO, including SWTOR, has or will kill off another MMO by stealing players from it. But I think a few have died because they failed to live up to expectations set by a prequel or similiar type of game. AC2 was an okay game, but it did very little like AC1, this difference and the fact that most AC1 players weren't interested in it, helped to kill it off.

agree i dont count SWTOR --  SWTOR hasnt even launched yet

the ip contract was up and both SOE and LucasArts agreed not to renew

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/24/exclusive-smedley-on-the-sunsetting-of-star-wars-galaxies/

if the ip contract was not up - swg may have still been around

• minime2minime2 Member Posts: 113

Sorry but only idiot's want a new mmo to destroy another . After all different people like different games so the more the merrier .  Why does a new game have to kill another to succeed that's just stupid talk by idiots .

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    WOW killed EQ 1 and 2 IMO. Both games concurrently existed with it, but neither game had the same numbers they would have gained if warcraft had not launched.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Its not even released yet, for heavens sake !

And even before the release, SW:TOR already has a number of obvious weaknesses.

Its an extremely casual MMO that apparently can be soloed up to maxlevel, solo everyone is a pet class (which I myself, for example, really dont like), and it comes with very small party size.

Its race selection is very limited and the races are purely graphics, its a RvR MMO like WoW with different class names and skill names for Republic and Empire, but underneath exactly mirrored...

Class selection suffers from being Star Wars ... which doesnt allow many popular kind of class concepts found in classic fantasy, such as Paladin, Bard, Enchanter/Illusionist, Necromancer, Summoner, Ranger, or Druid. But so far it doesnt look as if it will have a lot of own unique class concepts, leading to unique playstyles never seen before. The one big thing seems to be ranged tanking (Vanguard / Powertech), otherwise its the good old "Fighter Cleric Rogue Mage" selection of classes.

Crafting seems to be without any real challenge, everyone apparently can be master crafter with hardly any effort.

Also there are no releases/separate servers for Australia and asia, and no support for consoles, so very obviously there is an initial restriction of the playerbase which already makes sure that SW:TOR will not, I repeat: NOT, challenge WoW in the size of the playerbase. And that despite the much higher production cost.

So yeah, SW:TOR will definitely be a fun and great MMO. For example, it will have about 200 hours of story before you finished your class quest alone. It apparently also has much group oriented story content, and a huge gameworld to explore. Thanks to its limited selection of races, Bioware was able to support a ***load of different outfits.

But its definitely not the MMO to kill all other MMOs. Especially it wont kill WoW, thats a very trollish thing to claim. The only game company which has the ability to kill WoW is Blizzard themselves (and apparently, they are really good at it, right now, removing any challenge from that game).

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by Dedthom

Well, before we say that no MMO has "killed" another MMO, think about the MMOs that have cancelled because of they did not get huge numbers of players. The theory could be put forth that with out WoW on the market years ago, these MMOs could have survived.

I think we can say WoW has lead to the direct "death" of certain MMOs.

In fact, it's just the opposite. WOW has opened the MMO market to a wider audience thanks to its big numbers. I'd say that MMOs use to kill themselves.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by DOGMA1138

SWTOR will not kill WoW, nothing can "kill" WoW besides maybe Blizzard....

In the past 5-7 Years, with a major help from WoW and other MMO's(even browser games) the MMO market expanded from about 4-2 million players in the late 90's early 2000's(AAA titles only ofc) to a market of about 20 to 25 million players world wide. That alone negates the 1 game market that it used to be when WoW was still fresh, and with games like EQ, and DoAC before it. back then a 250k sub game was considered a sucuess because thats what you could get back then, now there is more than enough room for multiple multi-milion sub MMO's in the market. Heck even games like LoL can grab 15mil "subs" and have 2 mil players, and the DOTA/MOBA game market is much smaller and much more niche than the typical MMO market today. So with a 20-25+ player base which currently keeps on growing and expanding, both by the raise of popularity and media attention to MMO's and by cross genere games bringing other players to the genere or making their own games more MMOesuqe there is no bloody need to kill another game to be successfull, if you release a good game and can find your sweet spot the players will come.

Dude he's not talking about wow.   SWTOR > SWG.

GW2 might kill off GW,  will have to wait and see on that one though because gw is b2p so kinda hard to kill that.

I could be wrong but I thought they were discontining the servers and support infrastucture to GW1 upon GW2's release.

Anet said you could still work on your Hall of Monuments after the release of GW2 so no, they will not stop support of GW1 initially. However I assume they will stop updating it and stop support completely one or two years after GW2's release.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

In the past 5-7 Years, with a major help from WoW and other MMO's(even browser games) the MMO market expanded from about 4-2 million players in the late 90's early 2000's(AAA titles only ofc) to a market of about 20 to 25 million players world wide. That alone negates the 1 game market that it used to be when WoW was still fresh, and with games like EQ, and DoAC before it. back then a 250k sub game was considered a sucuess because thats what you could get back then, now there is more than enough room for multiple multi-milion sub MMO's in the market. Heck even games like LoL can grab 15mil "subs" and have 2 mil players, and the DOTA/MOBA game market is much smaller and much more niche than the typical MMO market today. So with a 20-25+ player base which currently keeps on growing and expanding, both by the raise of popularity and media attention to MMO's and by cross genere games bringing other players to the genere or making their own games more MMOesuqe there is no bloody need to kill another game to be successfull, if you release a good game and can find your sweet spot the players will come.

WOW is already on the decline and when swtor and guild wars 2 are released they will take away a huge percentage of wow's playerbase. Saying only blizzard can kill wow is silly fanboi talk because once a better game comes out wow will start to lose subscribers fast.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by nerovipus32

WOW is already on the decline and when swtor and guild wars 2 are released they will take away a huge percentage of wow's playerbase. Saying only blizzard can kill wow is silly fanboi talk because once a better game comes out wow will start to lose subscribers fast.

What is silly that even after all these years people just can't get over it. No SWTOR and GW2 won't make WOW lose huge chunk of subscribers. I have seen same kind of posts when AOC was about to release or when Warhammer Online was suppossed to be the next best game or the so called Asian juggernaut AION was supposed to kill WOW in Asia and US/EU.  This is not the only year when high profile MMOS are releasing.

Its been 7 years, time to get over it. 

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by Supersoups

What is silly that even after all these years people just can't get over it. No SWTOR and GW2 won't make WOW lose huge chunk of subscribers. I have seen same kind of posts when AOC was about to release or when Warhammer Online was suppossed to be the next best game. This is not the only year when high profile MMOS are releasing.

I was never under it to begin with but if you think swtor and guild wars 2 wont take alot of players from wow then continue  covering your eyes and ears and everything will be ok.

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375

Originally posted by Souldrainer

WOW killed EQ 1 and 2 IMO. Both games concurrently existed with it, but neither game had the same numbers they would have gained if warcraft had not launched.

EQ1 was like your favorite coffee shop or diner. EQ2 was like tgi fridays or bennigans. WoW was like mcdonalds. They're the same because they serve food. They're different for quality, quantity and sentimental value. I stand by this analogy.

• scragcatscragcat Member UncommonPosts: 94

Anet said you could still work on your Hall of Monuments after the release of GW2 so no, they will not stop support of GW1 initially. However I assume they will stop updating it and stop support completely one or two years after GW2's release.

This will probably add more box sales for GW1 since doing the hall of monuments will add stuff to your GW2 account and people who never played 1 might well want the goodies...

I don't think SWTOR killed swg..more like the IDEA of TOR helped shovel the last of the earth on SWG grave..personally if SOE revamped the graphics and rolled back to pre nge IT would possibly help bleed out TOR.

If anyone kills off MMO's its usually the upper management who see only $$$ and don't really care about customer satisfaction and so force development teams to shovel out a semi crappy product.

FBI's most wanted mmo killer list would probably be with EA at the top followed by SOE and then Cryptic maybe.  The old Blizzard would have helped euthanise a lot of the competition but not the new Activision Blizzard.

• ChloroCatChloroCat Member Posts: 98

I don't think one MMO has been killed by another. But I do believe maybe the following could be said.

1> SWG killed it'self with the return of the many many many jedi.

2>EQ killed itself with PoP. Who needed the main citys after this launch. And let's go kill our deitys...really ???

3>EQ2 killed itself by becoming a number crunching raid humping instance game,

4>STO was still born. Did you really think you could be Star Trek without a crew ? Week 3 80% of the community was Admiral...really ???

5>AoC As big as those boobs where the game was starving for more cow-bell.

6>CoH Even Superman and Batman could'nt save this game. And Lex Luther would'nt even want it.

7>LotRo The worst UI and worst character models I've ever seen...in the prettiest world. A simple fix that was never done.

So no MMO has or probably ever will kill another. Let the original developers have long enough and they will do it for the competition.

Jymm Byuu
    Playing : Blood Bowl. Waiting for 2. Holding breath for Archeage and EQN.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

An MMO isn't "killed" until it is closed down. As long as the servers are running and people are playing it is alive.

• MMOSareDEADMMOSareDEAD Member Posts: 47

WoW killed an entire genre. You can't top that.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by TopperH444

I don't think one MMO has been killed by another. But I do believe maybe the following could be said.

1> SWG killed it'self with the return of the many many many jedi.

2>EQ killed itself with PoP. Who needed the main citys after this launch. And let's go kill our deitys...really ???

3>EQ2 killed itself by becoming a number crunching raid humping instance game,

4>STO was still born. Did you really think you could be Star Trek without a crew ? Week 3 80% of the community was Admiral...really ???

5>AoC As big as those boobs where the game was starving for more cow-bell.

6>CoH Even Superman and Batman could'nt save this game. And Lex Luther would'nt even want it.

7>LotRo The worst UI and worst character models I've ever seen...in the prettiest world. A simple fix that was never done.

So no MMO has or probably ever will kill another. Let the original developers have long enough and they will do it for the competition.

image Agree 100%.

Hell, even the MMO I still play, Vanguard, can be considered on life support... 

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Supersoups

What is silly that even after all these years people just can't get over it. No SWTOR and GW2 won't make WOW lose huge chunk of subscribers. I have seen same kind of posts when AOC was about to release or when Warhammer Online was suppossed to be the next best game or the so called Asian juggernaut AION was supposed to kill WOW in Asia and US/EU.  This is not the only year when high profile MMOS are releasing.

You might have a point if WoW wasn't down 1 million subscribers over the last year.  And losing a million after the momentum they've had is a really big loss.  It's only going to continue now, especially with their "amazing" new expansion. lol. 

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by MMOSareDEAD

WoW took what was a niche and made it into a genre.  Hate it all you want, but at least be realistic.

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375

Originally posted by czekoskwigel

Originally posted by MMOSareDEAD

WoW took what was a niche and made it into a genre.  Hate it all you want, but at least be realistic.

Right, because EQ, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot and Lineage, among others, weren't a genre. Wat?

• MMOAttackMMOAttack Member Posts: 37

I would have to call out SWTOR. Its the first MMO I known to have actually killed another MMO.

But maybe I am not to informed on the history of MMO. Has there ever been another MMORPG other than SWTOR to kill another MMO?

how can it kill something if it hasnt been released yet? and if your referring to WoW, good luck with that one