Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is SoE encouraging pay to win?

13»

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by CalmOceans

if it was just mounts I would have said mounts, in EQ you can buy XP potions, gear, items, potions, sex change, race change, special zones, pets, trinkets, tradeskill potions that make you never fail, etc....

that's a whole lot more than "mounts"

it's more than all of the F2P games I have played too, many F2P games don't offer XP potions or gear

not true at all

EQ2Live store has zero adventure gear --- its only mounts and experience potions (adventure or tradeskill)

even the EQ2X store has zero gear, it was all removed over 4 months ago

there are no zones to buy - unless you mean player housing homes

sex change / race change?   thats not pay to win and WOW offers the same crap

Turbines DDO and LOTRO store offer many more items - but I guess you never played those

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store

http://ddowiki.com/page/DDO_Store

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by Nadia

if it was just mounts I would have said mounts, in EQ you can buy XP potions, gear, items, potions, sex change, race change, special zones, pets, trinkets, tradeskill potions that make you never fail, etc....

it's more than all of the F2P games I have played too, many F2P games don't offer XP potions or gear

not true at all

EQ2Live store has zero adventure gear --- its only mounts and experience potions (adventure or tradeskill)

even the EQ2X store has zero gear, it was all removed over 4 months ago

there are no zones to buy - unless you mean player housing homes

sex change / race change?   thats not pay to win and WOW offers the same crap

Turbines DDO and LOTRO store offer many more items - but I guess you never played those

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store

http://ddowiki.com/page/DDO_Store

problem is the looting mechanism which permits best raid loot to be auctioned with minimal stress to the buyer or seller.there is very few mmo that allow someone to to loot if not present.with sc and plat so openly traded  then you see where its coming from

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

not true at all

EQ2Live is going to cease to exist soon.  SOE is removing choice players have atm (to Play on P2P or freemium servers) and is converting all servers to freemium model.

Originally posted by hercules

problem is the looting mechanism which permits best raid loot to be auctioned with minimal stress to the buyer or seller.there is very few mmo that allow someone to to loot if not present.with sc and plat so openly traded  then you see where its coming from

I understand that

this is a side topic about the SOE store which CasualBreeze claims is the worst store she has ever seen for p2w

She claims stores dont carry experience potions

but I guess she never looked at the DDO and LOTRO store -- even Age of Conan store has experience potions

experience potions aside

Refer a Friend triple experience  (that both EQ2 and WOW use) is leapyears better than exp potion

Originally posted by fenistil

EQ2Live is going to cease to exist soon.  SOE is removing choice players have atm (to Play on P2P or freemium servers) and is converting all servers to freemium model.

agree but SOE not offering what EQ2X has or used to have

after the revamp - the store will use what EQ2Live has now   (exp potions and mounts)

http://eq2wire.com/2011/11/10/everquest-ii-producers-letter-eq2-fully-goes-free-to-play-livegamer-gone/

EQ2X currently has a list of items that are not available on the regular server marketplaces. These include:

• Power potion

• Health potion

• Self-rez scroll

• Wand of Obliteration

• Rune of Devastation

• Mastercrafted Equipment (all)

• Tradeskill Components

These items will no longer be offered on the marketplace when this revamp occurs.

EQ2Live store has never had "buy a rez" or  tradeskill components for sale on their store

- something that both LOTRO and DDO stores offer

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I understand that

this is a side topic about the SOE store which CasualBreeze claims is the worst store she has ever seen for p2w

She claims stores dont carry experience potions

but I guess she never looked at the DDO and LOTRO store -- even Age of Conan store has experience potions

experience potions aside

Refer a Friend triple experience  (that both EQ2 and WOW use) is leapyears better than exp potion

agree but SOE not offering what EQ2X has or used to have

after the revamp - the store will use what EQ2Live has now   (exp potions and mounts)

http://eq2wire.com/2011/11/10/everquest-ii-producers-letter-eq2-fully-goes-free-to-play-livegamer-gone/

EQ2X currently has a list of items that are not available on the regular server marketplaces. These include:

• Power potion

• Health potion

• Self-rez scroll

• Wand of Obliteration

• Rune of Devastation

• Mastercrafted Equipment (all)

• Tradeskill Components

These items will no longer be offered on the marketplace when this revamp occurs.

EQ2Live store has never had "buy a rez" or  tradeskill components for sale on their store

- something that both LOTRO and DDO stores offer

Agreed. I don't like Lotro model (ex-Lotro player here that played both P2P and Freemium Lotro version).

Remeber though that Lotro did not had most of those things at first as well. At first Lotro store was preety "lite" in order to not disencourage ex-P2P players as quite a big part of community was concerned with what'll be in cash shop. There were official statements that shop will be purely vanity (cosmetics, some convenience items).

Turbine then gradually started to expand cash shop and put some new kind of items here and there. Bit by bit as playerbase gradually changed (ex-P2P players either were slowly leaving or accepting those items) and more new free players coming in.

I can bet with you that for first months cash shop will be like in EQ2Live BUT let's talk in 1 or 2 years. I can bet real money that it will be like EQ2X or Lotro like.

it is just a strategy that keeps repeating in most freemium games. Start with relatively vanity / small shop and expand it bit by bit to a point where after 1-2 years this shop is dramatically diffrent.

I can bet with you that for first months cash shop will be like in EQ2Live BUT let's talk in 1 or 2 years. I can bet real money that it will be like EQ2X or Lotro like.

it is just a strategy that keeps repeating in most freemium games. Start with relatively vanity / small shop and expand it bit by bit to a point where after 1-2 years this shop is dramatically diffrent.

sigh I agree - I wont debate that   ;)

sigh I agree - I wont debate that   ;)

the best raid loot is not sold directly by soe but clearly encouraged by soe.why have they not changed the looting mechanism in all this years.why was a change on test and promptly removed(some dev did not read the memo it seems) a while ago.

fact that you don't have to be in the raid that kills a boss to be awarded loot  is just a green light for easy auctioning of loot which is exactly happening.some loot sells for 3kpp from hard mode bosses which is 1500 sc which is $150 eventually all coming to soe pocket.

they may not offically be selling best game loot but certainly kept in place mechanics to make this easy as heck.

the best raid loot is not sold directly by soe but clearly encouraged by soe.why have they not changed the looting mechanism in all this years.why was a change on test and promptly removed(some dev did not read the memo it seems) a while ago..

back to ON TOPIC

I agree SOE is aware of the raid loot being sold off at "time of kill" and hasnt done anything to change it

buying a Raid slot in WOW is no better and has similar issues of p2w but its less efficient

WOW has no guarantee of loot but some raid achievements do give raid mounts - and that is guaranteed

SOE's loot chests are much easier to workaround the system than buying a raid slot

and the entire gameworld gets spammed in world chat channels with raiders trying  to sell items off fresh kills

their only limitation is a chest  timer thats less than 30 minutes  (not sure what the decay is)

If i recall decay time is 1 hour

If i recall decay time is 1 hour

offtopic but last year, when my guild raided SF Toxx mound w the dragons

we lost some chests because they were not looted intime

- and that fight is not 1 hour