Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dupes in - server down

psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/68359-server-down-extended-period.html

Server taken down due to massive duping going on.  Apparently a video was posted publically showing one method, though the video is now private.

Duping has already caused massive damage to the game economy.  In the last few days kills of players carrying 30k gold and 50k gold were reported, though they were ignored by SV until the video was posted.

Starvault has shown a consistent failure to proactively identify dupes, though the problem should be easily identified with simple database queries.  

Pretty sad. 

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

This happens frequently after patches, yet there will always be those few who post here saying that they have never seen a dupe, and no one they play has ever seen one...

Simply amazing...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

I just started playing the game. Its an amazing game but very buggy. What I don't get is how they are already charging people for an obviously unfinished product.

• PeckusPeckus Member Posts: 138

There's a recent poll up regarding wiping the servers due to dupes, rather pointless since SV still cant fix them.

View Poll Results: Would you support a "controlled" wipe with TC release?

Yes.

38.81%

B) Maybe, with different threshold amounts.

5.97%

C) No.

55.22%

Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/68288-would-you-support-controlled-wipe-tc-release.html

Spamming "Post Report" Tool
    ...but if you spam or abuse the report tool, penalties will apply.

They cannot wipe simply because the problem happens too frequently...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

They cannot wipe simply because the problem happens too frequently...

Agreed .... How rampant must it be if almost half the respondents want a wipe anyway?

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Links to the videos please.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

Originally posted by username509

Im sure MMORPG.com would frown on someone linking a "how to cheat/dupe video" . image  If you are looking for some type of "proof" then refer to the link above started on NOV1 by the LEAD TESTER in response to all the duping.

Originally posted by Peckus

Im sure MMORPG.com would frown on someone linking a "how to cheat/dupe video" . image  If you are looking for some type of "proof" then refer to the link above started on NOV1 by the LEAD TESTER in response to all the duping.

This is true, but since the servers are down, and SV is in the process of fixing it it won't really leed to anyone using it to exploit.  

A video with a version stamp would remove any doubt of rather or not this is real.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

This is true, but since the servers are down, and SV is in the process of fixing it it won't really leed to anyone using it to exploit.  

A video with a version stamp would remove any doubt of rather or not this is real.

I'm confused. You admit servers are down and SV is in the process of fixing it but then want a video to remove doubt if it is real or not??? image

So does MO have dupes or not?

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• MordragMOMordragMO Member Posts: 136

Originally posted by kakasaki

I'm confused. You admit servers are down and SV is in the process of fixing it but then want a video to remove doubt if it is real or not??? image

As far as I can see, he only wanted a video. You added the "to remove doubt" bit yourself.

If this is true a video would name and shame any player/guild caught with the gold.  

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by MordragMO

Originally posted by kakasaki

As far as I can see, he only wanted a video. You added the "to remove doubt" bit yourself.

Just quoted what the OP said, his words, not mine... Or did he mean to see if the specific exploit mentioned in the video was real. Hence why I asked for clarification.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

If this is true a video would name and shame any player/guild caught with the gold.  

i have seen the video, the dupe shows 2 unknown newbs (possibly trial accounts) duping. The dupe itself is extrmeely easy and has likley been possible since release.

the dupe currently has been fixed and tested, it cannot be recreated anymore. However unforseen issues are resulting in a longer downtime than usual. The player who posted the video was banned and posted it in retaliation., nobody knows which guild for sure he was linked to however he seems to have little knowledge on the actual game and liekly hasnt played long, you can thank aq for reporting this dupe after seeing the video on youtube and replicating it to prove it works.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

Originally posted by deathshroud

i have seen the video, the dupe shows 2 unknown newbs (possibly trial accounts) duping. The dupe itself is extrmeely easy and has likley been possible since release.

the dupe currently has been fixed and tested, it cannot be recreated anymore. However unforseen issues are resulting in a longer downtime than usual. The player who posted the video was banned and posted it in retaliation., nobody knows which guild for sure he was linked to however he seems to have little knowledge on the actual game and liekly hasnt played long, you can thank aq for reporting this dupe after seeing the video on youtube and replicating it to prove it works.

This makes no sense:

A.  The player was banned and posted a retaliation video.

B.  SV didn't know about the dupe until the video was posted and reported.

Why did he get banned then?  And why was the video set to private?

Also, members of the community have reported at least 3 differen't dupes.  This is only one of the three.  Did SV nail down the others?

he was banned for hacking, i guess they had a suprise when they checked his bank lol. But he did post it in retaliation to his ban. So he was banned for a different reason.

• ange10ange10 Member Posts: 307

Also I heard that there was someone who was found with 30k gold? what is this all about?

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

It took an extremely long time for UO to recover from the old deed duping bug where people were duping castle deeds.  The first  gold duping method that I remember was squashed pretty fast.

I still attribute duping to one of the things that brought Shadowbane down to it's knees, too.  Shame that people would rather do that to a game they seem to enjoy.

he was banned for hacking, i guess they had a suprise when they checked his bank lol. But he did post it in retaliation to his ban. So he was banned for a different reason.

Source for this please?  Or is this along the lines of "My friend said that he heard that someone spoke to someone at SV and they said .... "

Sorry, but we have KNOWN that duping has been in game.. SINCE RELEASE and you yourself admitted as much earlier in the thread.  SV has ZERO.. yes... ZERO credibility when it comes to pro-actively actioning dupers.

Believe what you want, but I think it more likely that the ToothFairy will appear, fix the Abominabal Snowman's tooth, and have world peace break out.

Source for this please?  Or is this along the lines of "My friend said that he heard that someone spoke to someone at SV and they said .... "

Sorry, but we have KNOWN that duping has been in game.. SINCE RELEASE and you yourself admitted as much earlier in the thread.  SV has ZERO.. yes... ZERO credibility when it comes to pro-actively actioning dupers.

Believe what you want, but I think it more likely that the ToothFairy will appear, fix the Abominabal Snowman's tooth, and have world peace break out.

like i said, he was banned for hacking not duping. He was caught by a gm using a variety of different hacks. Only when he posted the video shortly after did the devs bring down the server to fix the issue.

This 30k gold thing was a guy got killed in the wilderness with 30k gold on him. This raised speculation that a dupe was happening by the community. But the devs seemed to ignore it until the video went public.

the gms braught down the server to fix the issue which they did with the help of testers, they then proceeded to check logs on vendor traded resource and bank accounts. No idea how effective they would of been since they likely would use trial acconuts for duping actions.

like i said, he was banned for hacking not duping. He was caught by a gm using a variety of different hacks. Only when he posted the video shortly after did the devs bring down the server to fix the issue.

This 30k gold thing was a guy got killed in the wilderness with 30k gold on him. This raised speculation that a dupe was happening by the community. But the devs seemed to ignore it until the video went public.

the gms braught down the server to fix the issue which they did with the help of testers, they then proceeded to check logs on vendor traded resource and bank accounts. No idea how effective they would of been since they likely would use trial acconuts for duping actions.

I thought trial acounts have a limit of 300g?  That wouldn't make them very effective for duping.

Yes.  I am quite clear on what you SAID.  I asked for a source for this.  As Username points out, the Trial accts are supposed to have gold limits on them.  It sounds like everything you are relaying to us as fact, is something heard from a guy, who knows a guys, who was told by SV...

• RegorzRegorz Member Posts: 13

Another dupe incident?

• stonestinkstonestink Member Posts: 22

I am getting sick of the amateur coding by SV. I have played since OB, and I have tried to say over and over to myself they will get it right one day. When they changed working on core mechanics to territory control for the pvp junkies I about blew a gasket. This is the final straw. I am unsubscribing my accounts.

I am not a fool I know there has been dupes since release and there will be dupes after this. There are way too many loopholes in SV's code. I tried to keep my head down and pretend gold and raw material duping will not affect me. I know there are structures and weapons running around the game from duping and I just can not abide anymore.

To the people that think you can only hold 300g on you at one time you are wrong. Just like you are wrong if you think you can not have another yellow flagged character after a certain amount of time.

Originally posted by stonestink

To the people that think you can only hold 300g on you at one time you are wrong. Just like you are wrong if you think you can not have another yellow flagged character after a certain amount of time.

How much gold can a trial account carry?  Fraps video with version stamp please.  (do /version or something like that)  All new characters created start out with a yellow flag even if you already have a blue or red flagged account.  

Oh God It's official.  Someone did die with 30kgold.  

http://sandboxer.org/?p=231

• stonestinkstonestink Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by stonestink

How much gold can a trial account carry?  Fraps video with version stamp please.  (do /version or something like that)  All new characters created start out with a yellow flag even if you already have a blue or red flagged account.  

Oh God It's official.  Someone did die with 30kgold.  

http://sandboxer.org/?p=231

Yeah because I am dumb enough to post on a site a video showing how to work around game mechanics??  Isn't there a rule about that??  If you want to know how get a yellow and a bunch of gold nd play around you will find it.

The yellow flag can be replicated many times on a single account.

That site you linked is a joke he is making a lot of reports on non factual information.   How does he know anyone got banned for anything also the first guy was not banned for duping he was banned for hacking.