Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

official server types

SafariSSafariS Member UncommonPosts: 59

Server types have been oficially anounced by BW. Also the PvP rulesets.

For more infos you can check here : http://www.oldrepublic.net/213-swtor-server-types-pvp-rulesets-announced.html

Comments

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Pretty standard, glad to see RP PvE and PvP servers though :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Thanks for the info. I really wonder though how big the RP PVP community is going to be though. Not that I am playing on that server. I will play regular PVP.

• StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

PVP...

imageimage

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Hmmm, I honestly don't know what type of server I'm going to play on.  I've never been a fan of PvP, so this has always been an  easy decision for me, but I really love the way this game's PvP is looking, so I might want to give it a whirl.  I'm also undecided on whether to join an RP server or not.  

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

I still wish they added or will add down the road a hardcore pvp server.

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Nice!  RP-PVP all the way!!

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Satarious

Most definitely!  I expect this game to have a much higher number of RP'ers than your average mmorpg.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Very excited for the RP-PVP server!

for the RP-PVP'ers, you guys have a guild yet?  I think it's about time for me to start looking...

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

I'm actually sad to see they chose to have both RP-PVE and RP-PVP servers. Of course I don't mean to cry doom on shrinking playerbases already but if AoC taught me one thing then it is that this seperating the RP communities over 2 server types is something that can hinder RP enormously and merges of those server types are simply not possible. I do hope the RP communities won't shrink to a size making such cross-server type merges necessary in the forseeable future.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

So what precisely is the difference between PvE and PvP?  As I understand it, each server type has the same exact access to meaningful and meaningfully organized PvP . . . that a PvP server in and of itself will not offer any tangible objective incentive, territory control or attack/defend points.

So what precisely is the difference?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

So what precisely is the difference between PvE and PvP?  As I understand it, each server type has the same exact access to meaningful and meaningfully organized PvP . . . that a PvP server in and of itself will not offer any tangible objective incentive, territory control or attack/defend points.

As far as I understand it on a PVP server you can fight on any planet that hosts both factions, I don't think that's the case on PVE servers. Think AOC, minus FFA PVP.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

As far as I understand it on a PVP server you can fight on any planet that hosts both factions, I don't think that's the case on PVE servers. Think AOC, minus FFA PVP.

Basically, you are at risk of being attacked while trying to complete your normal quest objectives.  And I can't wait!

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

I think a better explanation would be WAR...Like on PvE servers you can't get attacked outside the pvp lakes if I remember correctly (unless you flag yourself). So basically if they do it like WAR then the area outside of the pvp lakes is for quests and other activites and you can't get attacked on those on PvE servers. If they do it like this system then you can still absolutely do world pvp on pve servers if you desire so.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by paterah

I think a better explanation would be WAR...Like on PvE servers you can't get attacked outside the pvp lakes if I remember correctly (unless you flag yourself). So basically if they do it like WAR then the area outside of the pvp lakes is for quests and other activites and you can't get attacked on those on PvE servers. If they do it like this system then you can still absolutely do world pvp on pve servers if you desire so.

That's what I kinda suspected.  Sounds good since there is absolutely no incentive for PvP on a PvP over a PvE server, I could do with the hastle of the meaningless, non-consequential gank and get precisely the same rewarding game-play experience for PvE and PvP on a PvE server.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

That's what I kinda suspected.  Sounds good since there is absolutely no incentive for PvP on a PvP over a PvE server, I could do with the hastle of the meaningless, non-consequential gank and get precisely the same rewarding game-play experience for PvE and PvP on a PvE server.

Coming from someone who's always going on about the pitfalls of todays MMO, I find this to be an odd statement. The incentive of joining a PVP server to me is far more enticing. Considering the many guilds who we (my guild) will be sharing a server with. A PVP server gives us a place to play how we want to play, a PVE server doesn't.

We have 100's of (close to 1000 actually) players who will be occupying our server of choice who will be gunning to create the type of atmosphere we had in our MMO of choice back then, an atomsphere of alliances and allied enemies. A PVE server would put a severe limitation to that ideal.

What could create more of an MMO feel than that? What is a better incentive than that?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Open world PvP is the last little shred of player made content we have (speaking of themepark mmos only). I'm going rp-pvp for sure.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

*nods violently*

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by DarkPony

*nods violently*

^

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

I am glad they are opening up servers to different play styles and preferences.  It would certainly be RP-PVE for me. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by Beacker

I still wish they added or will add down the road a hardcore pvp server.

Im sure the perma death FFA dry loot server is right around the corner.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by Foomerang

Open world PvP is the last little shred of player made content we have (speaking of themepark mmos only). I'm going rp-pvp for sure.

Same, as much as I like gaming in a protective bubble, PVE inevitable just bores the hell out of me and I always end up on a PVP server if I like a game.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by Saydien

I'm actually sad to see they chose to have both RP-PVE and RP-PVP servers. Of course I don't mean to cry doom on shrinking playerbases already but if AoC taught me one thing then it is that this seperating the RP communities over 2 server types is something that can hinder RP enormously and merges of those server types are simply not possible. I do hope the RP communities won't shrink to a size making such cross-server type merges necessary in the forseeable future.

I say we should really try to designate one rp-pvp server as the server to be on, kinda like Wyrmrest Accord in WoW, lets try our best to make this server the best rp-pvp server there is to attract the majority of the rp crowd. I love pvping to be honest, but I also want my rp to be there, and I don't want substandard rp on these servers. I say we should all join the same server, and really make a big push to make it the best rp pvp server there ever was in a game. I am very saddened by the fact that rp-pvp servers usually turn out to be nothing more than pvp servers for those too soft to be able to play on a normal pvp server.

I think the pvpers who come to a rp-pvp server should be dealt with by those who do both. Go to a regular pvp server if you aren't going to rp I say.

We should also make it so that the rp is sooo good on this said server that the rpers who would normally go rp-pve have no choice but to come to it. Star Wars w/o pvp is just plain stupid. And It would be stupid imo without rp.

Tell you this, I am  more than willing to play a bounty hunter and start a guild of bounty hunters that takes contracts on non rpers, lol.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• SafariSSafariS Member UncommonPosts: 59

I personally like pvp servers more too, but for casual players that like to lvl and stuff like this .. pve is the choice.

I wonder how many ppl play on RP servers ..

• FolbyOrbFolbyOrb Member UncommonPosts: 357

My interest in this game just spiked.

I didn't think there was a chance they would have PvP servers.

To build a new box or not, that is the question.

Playing | GW2
    Wanting | Pantheon
    Watching | Crowfall
    Retired | WAR, Cabal, MO, CO, SHK, WoW, FFXIV: ARR