Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Universities Investigate Warhammer Online

2»

Comments

• dida12dida12 Member Posts: 2

Someone explain how this in any way can be helpful. This research is obscure.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by dida12

Someone explain how this in any way can be helpful. This research is obscure.

Meh...it may be obscure, but this has been happening for more than 20 years now.  This is hardly the  first 'research' or investigation' done in an online game :D!

• DNAwesomeDNAwesome Member Posts: 2

I watched this video, I feel as if it had alot to say about the gaming society in general. It's definetly something to just check out and get your own view on though.

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

The study is by the Psychology department pretending to be the computing department.

They are actually testing how mentally ill people play multiplayer games. They chose Warhammer Online as the only people that could possibly play Warhammer are mentally ill....

Dum Dum Tish !

• TheeMaulerTheeMauler Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Saorlan

The study is by the Psychology department pretending to be the computing department.

They are actually testing how mentally ill people play multiplayer games. They chose Warhammer Online as the only people that could possibly play Warhammer are mentally ill....

Dum Dum Tish !

lol you may be on to something. Just kidding!

• CacophanistCacophanist Member Posts: 100

Mentally ill to play Warhammer? Well like all level based questing mmos with snoring combat systems and gameplay that has not changed since 2001 then yes it would help to be mentally ill !

I am not sure how a sane person could play basically the same game reskinned a hundred times like all the WOW clones are.

• urmpensteinurmpenstein Member Posts: 1

Well this is actually kinda cool.  its like an introductory video to the concept of an mmo.  I'm curious how the rest of the thesis presentation went along with this video, and like others have echoed, what they were actually looking at in their thesis.  The video description says it was "Group Performance in Virtual Worlds."

"I wonder what compels people to come together for hours on end to tap buttons on a keyboard in response to images on the screen?  Furthermore, what makes these people so good at what they do?"

Lol, quite the interesting line of research to consider.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

any excuse to play video games in university....

The professors have to be getting tired of handing out those "D"s for "Hay guyz! Answer my survey questionz plz! I'm doing 'research' about online gamez!"

Then these guys--and the people who gave them the grant money for it--should be ashamed of themselves.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Natasha123Natasha123 Member Posts: 3

I wonder the same. But it doesn't really matter because video is awesome. I didn't play WarHammer before, but when I watched it I got hooked!!!

• ballzdeepballzdeep Member Posts: 2

after watching this video, i really want to attend psychology classes at asu. then maybe i will be able to combine my love of gaming with my love of watching and anazlying people....

• dida12dida12 Member Posts: 2

No way! This is an awesome thesis, totally creative. 

• daedraardeaddaedraardead Member Posts: 3

• daedraardeaddaedraardead Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by stayontarget

Man this is right up there with wine testing, sweet.  I wonder how many credits you get for it?

Haha, it definitely is! I want to research people playing video games... By playing them myself... :P

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I ran an almost identical project using EQ1 for my Psych Masters over a decade ago. You'll find this happens a lot.

You, YES, YOU, have probably helped provide a student with data at some point. 

Creepy, huh?

Hehe

• yoda_andyoda_and Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by darwa

I ran an almost identical project using EQ1 for my Psych Masters over a decade ago. You'll find this happens a lot.

Creepy, huh?

Hehe

Wait, seriously?? What was it you were researching exactly? 

and uhh, not gonna lie, THAT freaks me out a little more than the original video we are talking about lol.

• Natasha123Natasha123 Member Posts: 3

I think it doesn't matter whether this clip is done for studies or not...THE VIDEO IS AWESOME!!! For me as begginer player, I learned a lot of tricks, and now I am hooked

• TheeMaulerTheeMauler Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by darwa

Creepy, huh?

Hehe

I was psyched to play EQ1. I saved up and bought it when I was a teen, but then I couldn't afford the subscription. I never really got into online games, except I was thinking about Warhammer until all the bad reviews.

What was your project about?

• DNAwesomeDNAwesome Member Posts: 2

I don't know guys, seems like something to check out here. Atleast check it out and think about what it is saying.

• deniedrosedeniedrose Member Posts: 1

The video itself isn't creepy, just a good intro to noobs.  But who wouldn't have guessed that sooner or later psychs wouldn't look at mmorpgs?  To understand why we play they first have to understand the game.  I'd be interested to see what they discover.