Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me decide on a new HDTV...

2»

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Good points....hrmmm

At the moment I'm pretty sure I'm going with Samsung. {when spending this amount of money, might as well go for the best then}  Its just difficult deciding on the model now, mainly because the current one has those negative asthetics that are kinda blah to me, whereas the older model that is 60Hz looks much better and is $200 cheaper.

Got my new HDTV today.  Spent the better part of the last few hours tweaking it across all media and I think I've finally got it set to what I like.  I decided on the Samsung 46" 120Hz LCD model.  Even got the sales associate at Best Buy to knock $50 off the price, so I got it for $799 brand new!

Still want to get the 4yr warranty for it, but thats another $140, and I have 30-days to buy it!

Over the 40" that I previously had, there is a ton more real estate to view now, thus it'll take me some time to get used to it as well as the new HD signal.  Been using VGA since forever, and now that I'm using HDMI with this strong of a signal and extreme clarity my eyes are having a bit of trouble keeping focus.

When I upgraded from a 22" monitor to the 40" HDTV I recall having a similar issue, but over time I adjusted to it.  Here's hoping it won't take as long though!  Also the reddish/brown strip along the bottom of the cabinet is not as bad now that its in my house and in a similar black and brown decor.  I think it was being in presence of so much black and the only brown strip made it stand out more in the store!

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Looks nice - congrats!

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Find the Consumer Reports magazine or yearly book that has the electronics in it. Just don't get a plasma. 

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Blazer6992
    Find the Consumer Reports magazine or yearly book that has the electronics in it. Just don't get a plasma. 

Plasma has 0 response time though, which is nice for gaming..

Originally posted by noquarter

Primarily for gaming though, when used as a monitor to surf the web and read text, not so much!

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Khrymson

Primarily for gaming though, when used as a monitor to surf the web and read text, not so much!

Eh, I've seen computers on LCD and Plasma TV's and they equally lack clarity at that size. The problem is just scaling up 1920x1080 to 47"+ loses fidelity because of the pixel size, nothing to do with the differences between LCD and plasma..
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Khrymson

Eh, I've seen computers on LCD and Plasma TV's and they equally lack clarity at that size. The problem is just scaling up 1920x1080 to 47"+ loses fidelity because of the pixel size, nothing to do with the differences between LCD and plasma..

This is all subjective, so it's nothing scientific or anything, but I agree with you both.

I think plasma looks fantastic. I think LED LCD looks great. Provided you are sitting the proper distance away.

Now, if you are sitting too close, like most computer users. then I have to give the nod to LCD. The pixels are still big and blocky, and text looks mangled, but plasma starts to look grainy if you get too close (how the plasma spots are arranged or something), whereas LCD stays solid.

A rough rule of thumb is you should sit (Diagonal Size / 8) and (Diagonal Size / 4) feet away - give or take depending on installation height, your eyesight, the shape and size of the room, etc.

So for a 46" TV, the optimal viewing range would be between (46" / 8) and (46" / 4), or 5'9" to 11'6", roughly

Originally posted by Ridelynn
    So for a 46" TV, the optimal viewing range would be between (46" / 8) and (46" / 4), or 5'9" to 11'6", roughly

heh, well I'm about 4ft from my screen, running 1920*1080 resolution, maybe 5 when I'm leaning back in my chair! My desk is adjustable though, and I can pull out the lower section another 3-5ft if necessary, but thus far its been fine. Quite crisp and clear, although getting used to a slightly larger screen is playing tricks on my eyes, but it'll pass.