Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift on a PR blitz

Comments

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Sad.  What's next, hiring bums off the street to wear the Rift sandwich board signs at intersections?  

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Biggus99

Sad.  What's next, hiring bums off the street to wear the Rift sandwich board signs at intersections?  

Hey do what you got to do. I got a e-mail from Blizzard the other to come back to WoW for free. Games on the market now are picking it up with ToR and others on the way.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Well, Penny played AoC and well...poor AoC.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

What they payin?

I'll do it!!!!! :)

I see nothing wrong with advertising if that is how they want to spend their $$.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by Puremallace

Hey do what you got to do. I got a e-mail from Blizzard the other to come back to WoW for free. Games on the market now are picking it up with ToR and others on the way.

Very true, and can't really fault them for it.  I've just never seen an MMO bus before.  Kinda made me chuckle.  Bet they have a sweet setup in there, though.  Probably as cool as the Madden cruiser. lol.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Maybe its jsut me but... that bus looks bawse.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

That looks like a Portland bus. That's pretty badass; a Death Rift on a transit bus haha.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

http://i.imgur.com/KWGf2.jpg

Some guy posted this image link in a thread. Just hate it when they give little to no details about what the image is about. I'll search the CNN site to see if this is a actual reference to Rift lol

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

why is it sad? i love dat dam buss!

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

At least it's not as sad as hiring Mr. T. to do a couple internationally aired TV commercials.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

"Play for Free @ Riftgame.com".

Hmmmm...

It's almost like that bus is a mobile time machine from the future or something. I wonder if the driver's name is H.G. Wells.. /wink

• ThunderballsThunderballs Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by Puremallace

Yes but WOW has been out for years, Rift less than one.

RIFT has lost msot of the original subscribers, after year one WOW had retained most of theirs and was expanding.

TRION have done what they wanted to do = to regard the game as having a very short lifespan.

Having made this decision, they have done what they had to do =  develop and market it accordingly.

That = heavy discounting (free trials, price reductions, advertising for lower spend customers etc), hurrying out "new" content and dumbing down existing content.

Caveat Emptor

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Thunderballs

Yes but WOW has been out for years, Rift less than one.

RIFT has lost msot of the original subscribers, after year one WOW had retained most of theirs and was expanding.

TRION have done what they wanted to do = to regard the game as having a very short lifespan.

Having made this decision, they have done what they had to do =  develop and market it accordingly.

That = heavy discounting (free trials, price reductions, advertising for lower spend customers etc), hurrying out "new" content and dumbing down existing content.

I will say that at the NYCC there were not many people whom showed up there to hear about Rift/End of Nations/Defiance.

Some pretty tough questions were fired their way too, mostly about Defiance.  They looked a little dismayed.  I don't know if it was from the lack of people who attended their panel or what (there were maybe 30 people there - if that.)

As far as Rift goes, I believe their numbers have stabilized for now and will take another hit when SWTOR comes out.  Many games will take a hit when that game comes out.  Then it will level again.  Then Secret World and GW2 will come out and most people will probably stop talking about Rift and only the diehard SW fans will be playing TOR.  Secret World and GW2 will dominate 2012.  April is the target date for Secret World btw.  Developer said it at the panel.  As we all know, GW2 is unknown.

Rift is a good game.  That will be its problem with very stiff competition in the future.  Good just won't cut it.  WoW was lucky they didn't have the competition that is out there now.  It wouldn't of made it through the first year with the number of technical issues it had.

After playing SWTOR at the comic con, I can say the game is strong enough from the onset to give Rift an absolute run for its money and then some.  I obviously don't know what end game is like, but I would be worried if I was Trion.

I'm not hating on the company, I'm just being real. 

• jvxmtgjvxmtg Member Posts: 371

No amount of PR can take away the repetitiveness and boring gameplay of RIFT. It's repetitive because it feels like I've played that game before. It's boring for the same reason.

Ready for GW2!!!

Originally posted by watchawatcha

WoW was lucky they didn't have the competition that is out there now.  It wouldn't of made it through the first year with the number of technical issues it had.

Good post, a nice mixture of fact and opinion and not at all a "hate" job.

The only thing I would question is the highlighted part. I've seen some people say that but then when I look at the games that were out shortly before WoW and shortly after, I don't understand why people say it.

Looking at WoW's release date of November 23, 2004, the games around it are pretty interesting:

Everquest II- Brand new on 8 November 2004.

EvE Online- May 6, 2003.

Star Wars Galaxies (SWG)- 26 June 2003.

Planetside - May 20, 2003.

FFXI- March 23, 2004.

Runescape - 17 March 2004.

City of Heroes- April 28, 2004.

Lineage II- April 27, 2004.

Guild Wars- April 2005.

Those are the games that are around WoW's release within a year or so. Many are still pretty strong today. Now let's look at games released around the same time as Rift.

Rift released March 2011.

DCUO- January 11, 2011

FFXIV- September 21, 2010.

Star Trek Online- February 2, 2010.

Aion- September 22, 2009.

Fallen Earth- September 22, 2009.

Champions Online- September 1, 2009.

I even gave Rift the benefit of the doubt by adding almost an extra year so we could give more competition to games like Aion, Fallen Earth and Champions Online. I didn't add games like Warhammer Online or AoC because that would be three years difference and then I'd have to add games within a three year window for WoW too, and we don't want to do that because it would add Dark Age of Camelot and Anarchy Online.

Looking at the list, it's clear who had the better advantage in terms of launching vs competition. As you said, WoW was in a technically immature state and yet, it went up against all these games. Rift was almost perfect (to hear people say it) and went up against games that were already almost dead or dying. WoW has had to grow right along with it's competition before and after.

It has not had anything release after it now going on EIGHT months. Imo, Rift is the lucky one.. not WoW. WoW had to fight tooth and nail for everything it accomplished during it's release and afterwards.

• ThunderballsThunderballs Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by popinjay

WoW was lucky they didn't have the competition that is out there now.  It wouldn't of made it through the first year with the number of technical issues it had.

The only thing I would question is the highlighted part. I've seen some people say that but then when I look at the games that were out shortly before WoW and shortly after, I don't understand why people say it.

Looking at WoW's release date of November 23, 2004, the games around it are pretty interesting:

EvE Online- May 6, 2003.

FFXI- March 23, 2004.

Guild Wars- April 2005.

Those are the games that are around WoW's release within a year or so. Many are still pretty strong today. Now let's look at games released around the same time as Rift.

DCUO- January 11, 2011

I even gave Rift the benefit of the doubt by adding almost an extra year so we could give more competition to games like Aion, Fallen Earth and Champions Online. I didn't add games like Warhammer Online or AoC because that would be three years difference and then I'd have to add games within a three year window for WoW too, and we don't want to do that because it would add Dark Age of Camelot and Anarchy Online.

Looking at the list, it's clear who had the better advantage in terms of launching vs competition. As you said, WoW was in a technically immature state and yet, it went up against all these games. Rift was almost perfect (to hear people say it) and went up against games that were already almost dead or dying. WoW has had to grow right along with it's competition before and after.

It has not had anything release after it now going on EIGHT months. Imo, Rift is the lucky one.. not WoW. WoW had to fight tooth and nail for everything it accomplished during it's release and afterwards.

You forgot 

Legend of Mir 3 --- October 2004  lol

Caveat Emptor

Originally posted by popinjay

EvE Online- May 6, 2003.

FFXI- March 23, 2004.

Guild Wars- April 2005.

DCUO- January 11, 2011

You left out almost every f2p game that is out right now.  You left out the concept of f2p vs a subscription model wasn't really an option back then.  You also don't acknowledge that WoW had the worst launch in the history of MMOs (according to this very website) and took them months to get the servers really stable.  Even then being down for multiple hours wasn't new.  Demands of the public based on the number of options out there has most certainly changed.  People are less forgiving of lack of polish and content for a new game.

By the way I don't think WoW had the worst launch in history - that title belongs to FFXIV

You left out almost every f2p game that is out right now.  You left out the concept of f2p vs a subscription model wasn't really an option back then.

You also don't acknowledge that WoW had the worst launch in the history of MMOs (according to this very website) and took them months to get the servers really stable.  Even then being down for multiple hours wasn't new. 

Demands of the public based on the number of options out there has most certainly changed.  People are less forgiving of lack of polish and content for a new game.
    By the way I don't think WoW had the worst launch in history - that title belongs to FFXIV

Leaving out FTP games only seems proper. There were FTP games back then as well that were brand new that people played, so it didn't make sense to count these ones now. Also, many of the ones that are out now are simply CONVERSIONS of the same games WoW crushed when they went up against it so that's hardly competition for Rift, lol.

It's like someone walking in, all fresh, new and rested fighting a guy right after someone else just beat the tar out of him for an hour straight and then claiming THEY beat him.

Guild Wars was a brand-new B2P and look how well it was doing even back then.. I think last count they had something like 8 million players overall or units bought.. something like that. That game went up against directly vs WoW and did very well, and I rightly listed it as competition vs WoW.

FTP was an option back then as well, and as a matter of fact a lot of people did play those games and spent plenty of money on them. This is how a lot of those companies got to be strong today and are making even better games. Perfect World is a prime example.

Rift has done well during the lull in the industry and again, considering no NEW games have launched since Rift launched (eight months time), that's unprecedented. Even WoW didn't get that kind of break or open window; that cannot be disputed at all on any level.

It's weird, but Rift is the newest game on the market.. at eight months old. When has that ever happened before in this genre?

Well I disagree with you about not counting f2p because I think it's had a huge impact on MMOs in recent years.  It also further fragments the population on what will people play.  Look at the networks.  In the 60s it was nothing to get viewership of 40 million people for a show from one of the Big 3 Networks.

Now if you get 11 million with 7-8 in the demo it's a massive success.

I see WoW as being in the 60s and Rift dealing with the current industry climate of today.  Yes, I think the MMO genre has changed that dramatically.  Which btw - WoW is the #1 reason for it.  I'm just saying it's more competitive now than it was back then.  If you want to compare new AAA MMOs, you're right.  Both SWTOR and TERA didn't come out this summer like people thought.  Actually, SWTOR is coming out almost exactly when I thought they would (my guess was early December.)  TERA I really thought was going to be out by July, now they're screwed.

P.S.  I really wish people would stop throwing around 8-9 million WoW numbers.  They only got that number when they went to China.  They were about 4-5 million before their asian invasion.  MMOs that do not compete in that market (for good reason), should be judged on the subscription base that both games are competing for.

Well I disagree with you about not counting f2p because I think it's had a huge impact on MMOs in recent years.

It also further fragments the population on what will people play.  Look at the networks.  In the 60s it was nothing to get viewership of 40 million people for a show from one of the Big 3 Networks.
    Now if you get 11 million with 7-8 in the demo it's a massive success.
    I see WoW as being in the 60s and Rift dealing with the current industry climate of today.  Yes, I think the MMO genre has changed that dramatically.  Which btw - WoW is the #1 reason for it.  I'm just saying it's more competitive now than it was back then.  If you want to compare new AAA MMOs, you're right.  Both SWTOR and TERA didn't come out this summer like people thought.  Actually, SWTOR is coming out almost exactly when I thought they would (my guess was early December.)  TERA I really thought was going to be out by July, now they're screwed.

FTP has had no impact in recent years. Period. That's strange to say. Unless you can name some FTP games that have stolen customers away recently from more established games, that's a pretty hollow thing to say. The closest thing to a FTP game having an impact over the years would be Guild Wars. Any conversion FTP game hasn't affected the industry much, even LOTRO which is the best version of it.

Television has no relevance to what we are talking about here, sorry. Not even close, lol.

First off, the games I compared that were around were excellent examples. It's clear to anyone that WoW had a much more difficult batch of competition to NEW and NEWLY released games than Rift did, and "quality" games overall. Arguing otherwise it just to argue or someone who isn't old enough to have played or remembered what it was like at launches back then.

Regarding your incorrect television analogy, WoW opened to "first run" prime-time shows during the same "time slots" directly opposite from it and beat them head to head in "ratings" for the SAME audience share. Rift essentially opened a brand new "show" vs reruns of old and now tired shows that were already beaten in "ratings" long before by WoW.

Basically it's like trying to compare Dallas (WoW) which crushed most of it's competition easily for years in time slots while it was "live", and then trying to compare Heroes (Rift) vs those same reruns of Laverne and Shirley, Happy Days, and the Waltons (all these crappy FTP conversions that WoW beat already).

It is not more competitive nowadays, lol. The quality of games coming out now are bad to horrible, with only shiny graphics as the improvement to older games. The flood of bad games like APB, Tabula Rasa, Shadowbane, Global Agenda, prove that. No one is trying to compare those bad games with Rift and certainly not vs WoW, lol.

Saying the competition is worse now is laughable. There are just more crappy games to choose from, not more competition. No one looks at Vindictus, Forsaken World, Fallen Earth, Dragon Nest, Warhammer Online, Champions Online or Star Trek as "competition". They are joke games.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

That bus looks badass, I want to ride on it.

Don't see anything wrong with it.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• BigjitBigjit Member Posts: 59

I'm having fun in Rift right now. I absolutely hated the beta but as of threeish weeks ago, it's a pretty good game. I mostly pvp on a couple of characters and pve a few others. Roll around tradeskilling etc.

The pvp isn't too bad really. Having a blast with a marksman and even more fun with a warlock. Have to say I like the lock even better than the OP rogue. /shrug