Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reason for Concern, EA's Q2 reports

Comments

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Scalebane

Originally posted by popinjay

Originally posted by Scalebane

It's pretty normal for EA to Destroy every company they get a hold of.  While these topics are interesting to read. gamers will never ever do anything about it.   They have to have their new awesome game no matter what supposed evil crap a company does. 

Because companies aren't 'evil'?

I guess we should just have free peace and love hippies making games. Then we'll get more games like Minecraft, lol.

Originally posted by tupodawg999

I already explained as simply as i could why it matters. In 2-3 years you'll be complaining about what i'm talking about.

Nah. This isn't that serious to me. It's all just games.

Perhaps if I had a job that depended on this industry I'd feel different but as a consumer, like the poster above you said.. I just want my next awesome game.

Don't really care if EA, SoE, Square Enix or the guy down the street makes it in his garage. I don't have/use Facebook, don't use Origin (yet), don't use Steam... none of this makes any never mind to me. I used Battle.net when I played WoW and I didn't think that was evil so.. meh.

its amazing how peole find Minecraft very fun and its following is huge, i'm pretty sure EA and the likes are trying to figure some way of buying this guy out.
    Most games nowadays are crap because of big businesses, the games are short, the stories are crap and its all aimed at making a buck instead of making a great game, but hey like i said gamers will keep on letting these people walk all over them and crying about later then actually doing something about it.   i'm not anti business, i just miss the days of companies actually caring about their gaming fanbase.

I don't think that would happen. I don't think the Minecraft guy would sell and I don't think the average person who plays games would want to pay $15 for Minecraft.

Seems more like a tool for developers and programmers to mess around in rather than an actual "game".

Something like that wouldn't appeal to anyone who doesn't read a gaming forum imo.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I don't think that would happen. I don't think the Minecraft guy would sell and I don't think the average person who plays games would want to pay $15 for Minecraft..

Notch was already approached by EA and turned them down.  The game has already sold a million copies while still in beta just by word of mouth with no marketting campaign.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Originally posted by gaou

Originally posted by popinjay

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by Aquazen

I am all for digital downloads, but shouldn't they be a little cheaper on average compared to box sales?

No.

There have been many reasons given for why they should be...in several threads.

Why do you say no?

Not that I'm in either camp but....

A hamburger ordered through a drive-thru costs the same as if you walked inside. You don't get a discount because you walked 50 feet inside the store and carried it outside yourself.

Why should you get a discount ordering online?

well the idea with paying less for a digital version is that you are cutting out the cost of making the box, disk, and anything else that comes with it.  buying a bixed version online i could see no real reason to pay less, but seems if there are no material costs from a digital download then it should be less

The biggest reason is that they cannot undercut their retailer's. Believe me when I say that retailer's do not like digital sales period, you can bet dollars to doughnuts that it pisses them right off.  If you sell your game digitally cheaper then the retailers are selling your product for, they will cease to buy and sell your product. Digital distribution is the future but not the present, its an industry in transition. Today... game publisher's still need retailer's.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

I just dotn see why ea wanting to make money and saying things about how they intend to make money for there investors is a bad thing for gamers. 

Im sorry but having a ps3 almost every game i play has dlcs for sale on ps3 store. Be it from ea or any game company out there its just the way console games are headed. 

Facebook games are huge zynga has made tons of monmey on them so of course ea wants to find a way into the facebook market for social games they want there share of the social gaming market just like any gaming compnay would.

As for cash shops of course they talked cash shops im sorry did we not just see there warhammer wrath of hereos f2play announcement. There is not doubt that game will have a cash shop hence the reason its in an investors call. 

Sorry folks there is nothing to see here in reality they were just outling there plans for all there games and as such cash shops, dlcs and facebook get brought up. 

They will have no effet on tor as its a sub based game and sub games with cash shops get horrid pr and just look at star trek online if u dont belive me. So i dont expect a cash shop for tor unless they pust soem fluff items in it like blizzard with there companion pets and mounts. 

So all this amounts to is them saying yes we want to have even more dlcs for our console games like mass effect 3 and our sports titles, Yes we are gonna try to expand even more into facebook games cause theres a huge profit to be made there.

Yes we intend to have some games that are free 2 play with cash shops. Thats all it said and in reality anyone making more of it then that is just a hater and doesnt understand how an investor call works.

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

Again, people need to grow up.

This isnt big corporations doing evil to the sweet unassuming customer, or even the innocent small company. This is a company calling its shareholders telling them it plans on continuing and expanding the business practices that have made them money and reduced costs.

If it upsets you, im sorry you dont understand the real world. Hop back onto you pink Unicorn named "Sparkle" and ride the rainbow back to the Magical world of chocolate make beleive.  In that world, companies dont have to make money. They just dedicate themselves 24-7 to making games that everyone likes. In the phonecalls to their shareholders they tell them "we dont care about making money, we only want to please a minority of customers" yet somehow, their doors stay open year after year because in make beleive worlds, profitability doesnt matter.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Kyleran

Actually, what the OP highlighted in the EA report is what pretty much every major Development house is considering in their future games.

They're chasing the money folks, and there's no going back to the way it was. 

Are you implying there was a time large corporations didn't chase money?

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Capitalism isn't fun any more.  What other games are coming out?

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

SWG is going to do an all out war for the final days...a sad end to what was once the greatest most innovative of MMOs (until ruined, sadly, yes).

EA is going to do to this game title it has done to every other title it has...run it into the ground, churn it out and spit the gurgling mess back at the consumer and say it's golden.

TOR buyers are going to miss SOE at the end of the day (and I mean old school SOE-the 'dont bring a knife to a gun fight' bastards, not the new SOE who learned their lessons). Lucas and EA are so very similar in their thinking, this last endeavor (yes last) will prove all of that beyond a doubt. Bioware is nothing but a scapegoat in the end.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

Originally posted by Axehilt

Originally posted by Kyleran

Actually, what the OP highlighted in the EA report is what pretty much every major Development house is considering in their future games.

They're chasing the money folks, and there's no going back to the way it was. 

Are you implying there was a time large corporations didn't chase money?

No, I suppose not, they've just figured out more creative ways to separate fools from their money these days, and fully intend to employ them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Rider071

SWG is going to do an all out war for the final days...a sad end to what was once the greatest most innovative of MMOs (until ruined, sadly, yes).

EA is going to do to this game title it has done to every other title it has...run it into the ground, churn it out and spit the gurgling mess back at the consumer and say it's golden.

TOR buyers are going to miss SOE at the end of the day (and I mean old school SOE-the 'dont bring a knife to a gun fight' bastards, not the new SOE who learned their lessons). Lucas and EA are so very similar in their thinking, this last endeavor (yes last) will prove all of that beyond a doubt. Bioware is nothing but a scapegoat in the end.

DOOM IS UPON US!

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• gilgamesh9gilgamesh9 Member Posts: 133

Originally posted by parrotpholk

No surprises.  Its been heading this way for a good while.  Only thing in that I will be happy for is when everything is digital and gamestops are all but a distant memory.

My only problem with digital is that even without the production and shipping costs of a real box, digital COSTS THE SAME AS A BOX.

Originally posted by kalinis

I just dotn see why ea wanting to make money and saying things about how they intend to make money for there investors is a bad thing for gamers.

Because instead of a company focusing on delivering a solid product, the company is focusing on ways to screw people over with as little effort as possible.

We've moved form a game production culture where games were made by people who thought they'd make a bitchin' game they thought people, like themselves, would want to play, to a corporate culture where everything is designed to maximize income with the least amount of effort appealing to the lowest common denominator.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Consequence

Again, people need to grow up.

This isnt big corporations doing evil to the sweet unassuming customer, or even the innocent small company. This is a company calling its shareholders telling them it plans on continuing and expanding the business practices that have made them money and reduced costs.

If it upsets you, im sorry you dont understand the real world. Hop back onto you pink Unicorn named "Sparkle" and ride the rainbow back to the Magical world of chocolate make beleive.  In that world, companies dont have to make money. They just dedicate themselves 24-7 to making games that everyone likes. In the phonecalls to their shareholders they tell them "we dont care about making money, we only want to please a minority of customers" yet somehow, their doors stay open year after year because in make beleive worlds, profitability doesnt matter.

I think we all realize that EA wants to, and should want to, make money and provide value to its shareholders.  No one in this thread has ever argued otherwise.

That said, wanting to make money and maximize your profits does not give a corporation license to be completely unethical in their practices.  In fact, they may find that in the long run, this actually nets them LESS profit.

Think about it...what a lot of these corporations do is buy valuable brand names and then pay bottom dollar to get a crappy game made with the valuable brand name on it so it will sell.  This makes them a quick buck in the short run, but it destroys the brand they purchased.

It's like killing the goose that laid the golden egg.  If the company instead bought valuable brands and let them continue to put out quality products, they would have a strong asset (the brand) that is not diminished and it would keep making money.

You don't HAVE to repeatedly abuse the trust between consumers and a brand to make a good profit.  It's just the fastest way.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by gilgamesh9

Because instead of a company focusing on delivering a solid product, the company is focusing on ways to screw people over with as little effort as possible.

We've moved form a game production culture where games were made by people who thought they'd make a bitchin' game they thought people, like themselves, would want to play, to a corporate culture where everything is designed to maximize income with the least amount of effort appealing to the lowest common denominator.

You know what happened to those people who thought they'd make a bitchin' game they thought people, like themselves, would want to play?

They didn't get the funding for all the polish, stability and graphics the large majority of gamers demand. They made their bitchin' games but nobody bought them.

But this corporate culture is able to provide the funding for the polish, stability and graphics everyone, me included, demands. They made their games and everyone bought them, most of those bitching about these very corporations included.

You want a different corporate culture? Stop being a hypocrite and stop buying AAA games.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

Originally posted by gobla

You know what happened to those people who thought they'd make a bitchin' game they thought people, like themselves, would want to play?

They didn't get the funding for all the polish, stability and graphics the large majority of gamers demand. They made their bitchin' games but nobody bought them.

But this corporate culture is able to provide the funding for the polish, stability and graphics everyone, me included, demands. They made their games and everyone bought them, most of those bitching about these very corporations included.

You want a different corporate culture? Stop being a hypocrite and stop buying AAA games.

Your fatal flaw is pretending to know my purchasing habits.

Originally posted by gobla

Your fatal flaw is pretending to know my purchasing habits.

You mean you've never bought a AAA game?

Not even DA2 you complain about buying in your post history? GW: Nightfall you admit to buying?

I'm sure you've never ever bought any games from big publishers before.....

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Sorrow

EA says DLC's and cash shops are nothing but profit oriented and want to make them more prevailant in the industry so that they can make them the standard in all their games.

And this is why we see the constant pro Cash Shop coverage from websites that rely on EA's, and other major publishers, cash.

This is why they actively populate opinion forming forums with pro cash shop shills. 

This is why there is no balanced debate going on.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606

Originally posted by parrotpholk

No surprises.  Its been heading this way for a good while.  Only thing in that I will be happy for is when everything is digital and gamestops are all but a distant memory.

I can definitely agree with you there, I can't wait to see gamestops be removed from the face of the earth.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by vesavius

EA says DLC's and cash shops are nothing but profit oriented and want to make them more prevailant in the industry so that they can make them the standard in all their games.

And this is why we see the constant pro Cash Shop coverage from websites that rely on EA's, and other major publishers, cash.

This is why they actively populate opinion forming forums with pro cash shop shills. 

You really can't single a company out over this though, they're all moving in this direction, especially the DLC bit. They're all looking at ways to maximize profits, they're all holding back content to release as DLC, they're all nickle and diming. If you have a problem with it as many are showing here, it's about time to give up on gaming altogether at least in the AAA field.

Show me the investor's call that doesn't give reason for concern, show me the company that is producing the big names that isn't going this route.

Another point of note is the rise of companies like G-pot, Gamigo, Gamers First etc... They're becoming major contendors and the large companies like EA, Acti-blizz, Take 2 etc.. are all moving in a direction to directly compete with these F2P publishers.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

So basically they want to:

- hurt North America & Europe work places by outsourcing game making to studios in cheaper counties (in Asia propably). So not only 90% of industry items will come from China ,but more 'advanced' work places in services as well?  

Great. Soon only avabile thing to do in NA & Europe will be ones that are psychically impossible to outsource / import like  street cleaning :/

- put even more Cash Shops & things like Day-1 DLC's ?

Just what I was dreaming of.  /facepalm

- focus more on facebook gaming and the like?

Don't care that much as I am not playing, but if that mean less money on non-social games then not really what I want.

Well I already was rather avoiding games from EA ( game had to be really good for me to consider spening money on EA product), now I really have to think about if I want to buy anything from then ever again.

I mean I know they just do 'proper' things from shareholder point of view, but well I am not shareholder and I want things that are good for ME and situation in my country / my region work situation. Don't care about EA shareholder earnings.

Originally posted by Distopia

You really can't single a company out over this though, they're all moving in this direction, especially the DLC bit.

I didn't TB...  I said 'and other major publishers'.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Meh, I just look at each product individually, be it a game, car, toilet paper, whatever. If it is a product I am interested in, I will check it out. Maybe, after further examination, if I still like what I see, I might buy it. 

I am will be honest, I have had a  lot of fun playing games that were under the EA umbrella. Not my favorite company in the world to be sure, but then, I am not a fan of the corporate world on the whole.

The problem is not really EA. You are just seeing symptoms of the problem manifested through their report. The problem is much deeper and broader than EA. Virtually all companies are doing what EA is doing, and for the same reason. To maximize profits. Its what corporations are designed to do. Period.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

You really can't single a company out over this though, they're all moving in this direction, especially the DLC bit.

I don't know how I missed that but I did, my bad.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

I don't know how I missed that but I did, my bad.

Happens :)

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

As someone who invests in the sharemarket (though not in the gaming industry), I am not concerned at all.

But I can see why it isn't popular amongst ordinary gamers.

The power always resides with the consumer though, if they don't buy it then companies will have to adapt.

**looks at the article that says Battlefield 3 sold 5 million copies in its first week** - course they never do. 

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.