Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MechWarrior Online is Free to Play

2»

Comments

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Originally posted by Ichmen

soo is this the MW that had legal problems with japan's mecha?? or another MW? 

i know of that one legal free MW4 game people play. but i havent heard bugger all on the newer MW that had legal problems with mechs looking like macross or was it gundam... i forget

BattleTech had issues with Harmony Gold over certain mechs/mecha from the Robotech/Macross IP.

I think the problem was specifically with the Warhammer.  Apparently, the design has been modified quite a bit so that the similarities aren't so great.  Not sure if HG is happy enough now to let the matter drop though.

Originally posted by Vegetta

I looooove Battletech but since this game has dropped the single player campaign and it is F2P I dunno.... Constant pvp gets old after a while... I wonder if it will even have PVE?

Good question.  I think there will be based on the knowledge that the game will be following the timeline of the Battletech universe, so the storyline will be playing a role in it.  I know that the game also starts well before the clan invasion so none of the new tech will be available yet.  I think it's also 10 years prior to the appearance of Wolf's Dragoons.

I would expect that the Clans will appear in a major expansion and they'll be non-playable.  If that's the case, the game would likely have a lot of other NPC enemies leading up to it like pirates and rogue units.  But most likely, the game will focus on warfare between the Houses with a lot of PvP.  Five factions.  That should be interesting.

• wickymageewickymagee Member UncommonPosts: 44

Originally posted by Unlight

I looooove Battletech but since this game has dropped the single player campaign and it is F2P I dunno.... Constant pvp gets old after a while... I wonder if it will even have PVE?

Good question.  I think there will be based on the knowledge that the game will be following the timeline of the Battletech universe, so the storyline will be playing a role in it.  I know that the game also starts well before the clan invasion so none of the new tech will be available yet.  I think it's also 10 years prior to the appearance of Wolf's Dragoons.

I would expect that the Clans will appear in a major expansion and they'll be non-playable.  If that's the case, the game would likely have a lot of other NPC enemies leading up to it like pirates and rogue units.  But most likely, the game will focus on warfare between the Houses with a lot of PvP.  Five factions.  That should be interesting.

Could be interesting but considering the "classes" are all the same balancing shouldn't be a huge issue.  I'm excited about this and I hope there's a meta game to tie the pvp aspects together.  I also hope there's a way to make a merc unit, they were always my favorite.

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by Unlight

I wonder how close they will stick to the game lore / Cannon. I mean House Liao is fairly gimp (well they did start making a turn around right before the Clan invasions)

Also the Federated Commonwealth (Steiner & Davion) I wonder how they deal with that? Will Steiner and Davion be Separate houses (I am guessing that is the case)

The Clans as PVE content would be nice.

• miceinblackmiceinblack Member Posts: 122

I think F2P is the best model for Mechwarrior assuming that they keep to the original play style like Mechwarrior 2 and Mercenaries. I can see an MMO aspect since there is quite a bit of history and storyline associated with the Mechwarrior universe and according to an article on MekTek  the time flow real life will be the equivalent time flow in the Mechwarrior universe for events. A MMO aspect could also be made if players can choose a House and then claim systems similar to how systems are claimed in EVE. Perhaps a claimed system can make certain tech or mechs available. The only bad thing is that I really prefer LAN style play where a internet connection is not required so you can play with your friends any time anywhere. Of course, online will make a getting match at any time easier and the game can constantly improve with patches.

Enough money can likely be made just off cosmetic changes to mechs such as paint schemes and variant designs (appearance only). I'm against buying advantages that can help a pilot in battle but so far it looks like they will not have anything to buy that helps in combat. Hopefully the advancement works with players starting off in a light mech and working their way up. I also hope salvage will be possible once the Clan Invasion start. 

• ducesettutamducesettutam Member UncommonPosts: 85

The timeline at release of the game starts in 3049. Basically that is the start of the clan invasion hitting the fringe worlds of the Inner Sphere. Overall the game seems to be following Battletech canon more closely than the previous MW games, including adhearing closer to the tabletop rules set.. As for the "Unseen" mechs (those involved in the lawsuit) there is a likelyhood that they will be in the game. One of the successors to FASA, Catalyst games had their internal art team redesign every Battlemech that was drawn by an outside studio, including the "Unseen". They new renderings are similar in certain aspects and retain the flavor of the origionals without violating the copyright laws. The gameplay itself seems to revolve around lance vs. lance combat (4v4) and may possibly include company vs company (12v12). Players can elect to be part of one of the Great Houses (5 factions though if the two minor houses were included it would be 7). Players may also form their own player guilds and become mercenarys, though it is unsure at this time if they can switch loyalties. Combat will be over various border worlds on the global map which has been said will change depending on player success. No official word on the Clans yet though they may be in a future expansion. It has been announced that all expansions will be free to the players as in the Eve Online model.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Great. Then may be i will try it out.

I am kind of partial to the Unseen mechs. Particularly the Marauder and the Warhammer. I realized these designs are from the Macross series. The Unseen seems to come up again and again and I'm sure the issue will be skirted around when asked. I'm not sure why it would be so hard to buy the rights to use these mechs in the game or even share a piece of the profit pie to use them. I really don't see Harmony Gold or whoever else is holding the current rights of hanging on to them because they plan to use them in furture Macross movies or series. Macross has played out for the most part and I don't think they are gonna milk it for anymore. Sure.... After the hit of Transformers they may want to make a Macross movie real life but there is no reason why the use of these mechs has to be exclusive. Just freakin cut a deal with whoever has the rights and be done with it. Now.... If they have been trying to cut a deal and won't budge then I can understand redesigning the mechs but otherwise I'd really like to see the original Unseen designs. These are the mechs that old school table top gamers are familiar with. Of course.... The Unseen have several sources but I at least feel they should try to secure rights to use the Macross versions of the Unseen. I'll jus have ta keep my hopes up.

Originally posted by ducesettutam

The timeline at release of the game starts in 3049. Basically that is the start of the clan invasion hitting the fringe worlds of the Inner Sphere. Overall the game seems to be following Battletech canon more closely than the previous MW games, including adhearing closer to the tabletop rules set.. As for the "Unseen" mechs (those involved in the lawsuit) there is a likelyhood that they will be in the game. One of the successors to FASA, Catalyst games had their internal art team redesign every Battlemech that was drawn by an outside studio, including the "Unseen". They new renderings are similar in certain aspects and retain the flavor of the origionals without violating the copyright laws. The gameplay itself seems to revolve around lance vs. lance combat (4v4) and may possibly include company vs company (12v12). Players can elect to be part of one of the Great Houses (5 factions though if the two minor houses were included it would be 7). Players may also form their own player guilds and become mercenarys, though it is unsure at this time if they can switch loyalties. Combat will be over various border worlds on the global map which has been said will change depending on player success. No official word on the Clans yet though they may be in a future expansion. It has been announced that all expansions will be free to the players as in the Eve Online model.

It's very likely that the first expansion will deal with the Clan invasion.  There are subforums on the official site for the five great houses.  The only other group that has its own forum is the Free Rasalhague Republic.  Since they were the unlucky bastards to first get steamrolled by the Clans, it might explain why they are getting special attention that others aren't. 

Not sure what kind of longevity that board is going to have after the Clans appear though. image

I'm pretty sure the Clans will end up an expansion so as to have more time to work on the clan side of things. Likely the Rasalhague Republic will end up the Rasalhague Dominion after some time has passed since I think Clan Ghost Bear does kinda a merge with them. Not sure how things like the Warden Wolves will be worked out. Some clans bite the dust entirely so I'm not sure if faction choices will be permanent or something that can change. I'd sort of like them see them be true to the timeline up to the Clan Invasion but perhaps let the players decide the outcome of events after that. I really think that control of planets and space should be a PvP thing that fluctuates. If players can control the territories then you lay the groundwork for some really awesome battles that can have untold numbers of mechs competing for House/Clan dominance in the area. Of course.... If such a framework was used you'd have to have some sort of safety so that a House or Clan isn't wiped out entirely.

Lkely the game will have a linear progression based off the timeline that players can participate in historic battles but the bad thing about that is you already know the outcome of the battle no matter how well you played. They need to have battles that have real meaning and where the outcome is uncertain such as in the large scale battles of EVE where control of entire areas can be lost overnight in a coordinated strike. A RISK game style of controlled territory should be implemented with benefits to the controlling factions such as the ability to call reinforcements or access to special tech. Since some planets are key to certain mech production I can see that as a way to gain access to certain mechs. Curios to how salvage will be handled. Battles on contested worlds could end up with players gaining access to tech or mechs not normally available to their House if salvage becomes a factor. This can be interesting since players then have the choice to use their salvaged mech knowing they might lose it or  they can keep it in their hangar as eye candy too valuable to lose.

At this time they have released that 1 year RL is one year game time. Whether that will change in the future I don't know, but I believe it is due to them wanting to release the game and then have a year to work on the clan expansion. Not sure on the conquest system as I haven't seen anything on it, what has been confirmed is that right now battles will be border raids untill such time as the conquest framework is put in place. 

I believe thats what I heard too so its one of those wait and see things. Still.... Doesn't hurt to talk about it as I'm sure the Devs cruise here and on MekTek in addition to Twitter. Hopefully, we will get another serious interview in the next few months where the tough questions are asked and not skirted around. It can be like nails on chalkboard to hear the phrase "We can't talk about that right now." as an answer to important questions. 

My biggest hopes is that the graphics are on par with the teaser trailer released with destructible enviroments that can have real in game effects such as a building being shot out from under a mech standing on it. I also hope that it stays true to the Mechwarrior 2 style gameplay with added features like weather environmentals and special camera views such as telescopic, lowlight, and infrared. The environment could play an important role as mechs could hide in forests but those same forests could be lit on fire by opponents and cause heat.

Originally posted by miceinblack

I believe thats what I heard too so its one of those wait and see things. Still.... Doesn't hurt to talk about it as I'm sure the Devs cruise here and on MekTek in addition to Twitter. Hopefully, we will get another serious interview in the next few months where the tough questions are asked and not skirted around. It can be like nails on chalkboard to hear the phrase "We can't talk about that right now." as an answer to important questions. 

My biggest hopes is that the graphics are on par with the teaser trailer released with destructible enviroments that can have real in game effects such as a building being shot out from under a mech standing on it. I also hope that it stays true to the Mechwarrior 2 style gameplay with added features like weather environmentals and special camera views such as telescopic, lowlight, and infrared. The environment could play an important role as mechs could hide in forests but those same forests could be lit on fire by opponents and cause heat.

I think I saw a text insert in that video that stated it was in-game footage.  Not positive though and I can't check it now, but look for it next time you watch. 

Makes me wonder if they are going to detail multiple cockpits for each class of mech. That would be impressive. I hope our keyboard can be used similar to the switches in the Mech Simulators where we can activate various camera views, turn floodlights on/off, and also switch to satellite feed if one is supported in the mission. Launching an overhead camera  like the one seen in the video may also be an option when satellite feed is not available. I feel that ECM should also play an important role where electronic support mechs can try to mask the signature of lancemates on radar. I really do hope they put as many options as possible so there are some real tactics to the game and not just Pew Pew Pew shooting.

Not as important to me but maybe to some would be the implementation of actual club weapons. The Inner Sphere used them primarily as the Clan considered it dishonorable so it would be interesting to see. It would be neat to pick up a blown off leg or arm and just whack another Mech with it. Probly too much to ask for but ya never know. I wouldn't mind piloting an Inner Sphere Hatchetman or Axeman. Final blows could be fun.

From what I have seen they said physical combat is out right now because they don't have a working mechanic for it. They have also said that they urban enviroment is the primary battleground right now because they don't want the masses of snipers like MW3 or 3025 had. Though it would be nice to see some hill and valley maps eventually. The recon drone in the teaser is supposed to be in game though people are wondering if it will replace the beagle probe on their mechs and if so will ECM suites be introduced to avoid detection. 

Right now I am loving that they are sticking to the core game rules as much as possible. Actually having semi guided missles will be nice for a change. I hated the everything hits way of doing it in previous MW incarnations. Also making heat mean something is going to be awesome for once. I could never stand the idiots who loaded up on PPCs and alpha striked everyone then used that silly purge heat sinks to reactivate their mech.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

real mechwarrior players use a joystick and keyboard!! will shadowcat laserboats and lag shooting be making a return as well? ;)

time to claim my smoke jaguars clan name before anyone else does...

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

Originally posted by ducesettutam

From what I have seen they said physical combat is out right now because they don't have a working mechanic for it. They have also said that they urban enviroment is the primary battleground right now because they don't want the masses of snipers like MW3 or 3025 had. Though it would be nice to see some hill and valley maps eventually. The recon drone in the teaser is supposed to be in game though people are wondering if it will replace the beagle probe on their mechs and if so will ECM suites be introduced to avoid detection. 

Right now I am loving that they are sticking to the core game rules as much as possible. Actually having semi guided missles will be nice for a change. I hated the everything hits way of doing it in previous MW incarnations. Also making heat mean something is going to be awesome for once. I could never stand the idiots who loaded up on PPCs and alpha striked everyone then used that silly purge heat sinks to reactivate their mech.

I think in the earlier versions of Mechwarrior that only a certain amount of missiles hit you unless you were like point blank. Its been a long time but think I recall moving behind rocks at long range to avoid being hit by missiles. I don't have any problem with snipers which is why you don't have auto targetting built into the game and why you should have light mechs and medium mechs to close distances and deal with snipers who have trouble targetting a fast moving target. I hope there is abolutely zero hit resolution done by computer. All hits should be LOS with the exception of maybe missile which need a lock. Basically if its not in your crosshairs then you miss. Plain and simple. Clans can have a icon that calculates lead to serve as there targeting computer. Real life skill should be the basis for gunnery skill in the game and if there must be a gunnery skill then I'd reserve it for things like reload time.

I hated how later versions of MW determined hits off probability instead of skill. It made it way too easy for a heavy mech to nail a light mech at long range no matter how fast he was moving. I want light and medium mechs able to take down a heavy if they are nimble enough and -that- skilled in hitting you right between the eyes. Or course....One screw up with a light against heavies means your toast but automatic hits should not even be considered for this game. Thats one of the things that made lights and mediums almost worthless in later incarnations of Mechwarrior. Even on tabletop a medium can hold their own against a heavy if you kept moving fast enough, used cover, and utilized long range weapons against a heavy opponent equipped for closer ranges. Again, tactics must be the name of the game and not how big your mech is. Shame they are keeping it mostly urban. I'd like to see jungle, desert, arctic, and swamp maps.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

I'll pay 5 grand to to have a Mad Cat Mk II decked with dual gauss again.

You read it!

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• ZeroByteDNAZeroByteDNA Member Posts: 58

Have to say, the farther away from the orignal system the various games got - the less interested in them I became.  The more FPS they became - the less that I felt I play playing a character - the more simplified they became... yep, the more I lost interest.

BattleTech has always been one of my favorite IPs - had the orignal box sets (including BattleDroids), had all the game books - whether talking house books, tech manuals, group/scenarios, etc, etc - had all the novels, and had enough metal mechs for a battalion and enough plastech mechs for a regiment.  Lost it all of course - illness/crappy storage place that auctioned it off without contacting me about two missed payments... definitely a sore spot.  But BattleTech was always one of my favorite IPs.

I really hated when the games went "arcade"...

Agreed. I think the earlier versions of MW were closest to the tabletop game and had the greatest sim feel. With the sterero turned up the house would rumble like a T-Rex was on the loose at every footstep my Heavy Mech would make. Sadly the game turned into a shooter under the disquise of better graphics when Microsoft took over. The original MW games were about tactics and proper load out. Mechs should be fully customizable to the pilots style of play or to the needs of the lance. It also aggravates me when NPC computer mechs can ping a light mech at full torso twist and travelling at max speed with ease at long range with a medium weapon.That should be an almost impossible shot and even more so if your a human pilot. The movement of the mech cockpit, terrain, haze, and environmental factors should come into play when taking a shot. Light and medium mechs need to become a valuable asset again instead of treated as garbage mechs until your qualified to pilot a heavy class mech. A medium mech with jump jets, LRMs, and a PPC should give a Heavy Pilot the sweats in the right environment and vice versa a medium out in the open desert would be in a real sore spot unless it kept the speed on.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by miceinblack

Agreed. I think the earlier versions of MW were closest to the tabletop game and had the greatest sim feel. With the sterero turned up the house would rumble like a T-Rex was on the loose at every footstep my Heavy Mech would make. Sadly the game turned into a shooter under the disquise of better graphics when Microsoft took over. The original MW games were about tactics and proper load out. Mechs should be fully customizable to the pilots style of play or to the needs of the lance. It also aggravates me when NPC computer mechs can ping a light mech at full torso twist and travelling at max speed with ease at long range with a medium weapon.That should be an almost impossible shot and even more so if your a human pilot. The movement of the mech cockpit, terrain, haze, and environmental factors should come into play when taking a shot. Light and medium mechs need to become a valuable asset again instead of treated as garbage mechs until your qualified to pilot a heavy class mech. A medium mech with jump jets, LRMs, and a PPC should give a Heavy Pilot the sweats in the right environment and vice versa a medium out in the open desert would be in a real sore spot unless it kept the speed on.

Heh, reminds me of the "lore" in talking about the initial sales pitch and proving for the Locust in the Locusts vs. Atlas fight demonstration.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Well.... I think a Locust should be able to take down an Atlas but it would be so difficult to do you'd probly go through hundreds of them trying. A Atlas has long range weapons so it would hit the Locust eventually as it has enough armor to take the hits. A head shot would be too hard at long range. However, a light can have survivability if all it is doing is trying to keep from getitng hit. Thats the strength of Mechs like the Raven. They use ECM and are not meant to tackle the big boys. By table top rules and also the intially MW game a light could survive a very long time and they are suppose to if they are trying not to get hit and avoid battle. Hence, scouts and forward observers. However, in the newer incarnations of the MW games they introduced the autohit into the equation of hit determination so the Light Mech always died a quick miserable death and was absolutely worthless. I hope they go back to core rules and earlier MW in regards to Light and Medium mechs.

Their newest dev blog http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/11/15-you-want-mechwarrior-online-to-be-freetoplay kind of aludes to that fact. I'm just hoping they put some serious limitations on the munchieness and that people can't load out their mech with little armor and few heat sinks in order to put 5 PPCs or 200 LRMs on it and alpha and shutdown. 

If you had good shutdown rules and penalties for heat they wouldn't load out like that. That and no minime maps. Need room to maneuver.