Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge: The evolution of Lineage 2, beware solo players

AskedanAskedan Member Posts: 39

If you are a solo player who just wants to do quests, this game is NOT for you.

Sure, you can solo, but you will miss all the good content this game will have:

Guild Wars, building towns, politics, territorial control, sieges, naval warfare, starting you own faction, CRAFTING.

Everything in this game requires other people, which is a good thing, MMORPGs that cater to solo players tend to be shallow, so shallow that not even the solo players stay after a couple of months.

Yes you will be able to grind quests, just like in every other wow clone you have been playing for so many years, but this game is much more than that :)

ArcheAge is the evolution of Lineage 2, it's basicalle the same game with much more gameplay options and tools for social interaction.

After so many years of waiting, a TRUE mmorpg finally arrives, (yes, im implying that themepark wow clones aren't really mmorpgs)

Everybody wins, this genre needs more diversity.

It's a Themepark/sandbox hybrid, just like Lineage 2.

Here is a gameplay video of an Elf "priest" in the starting zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mY2WyAmCR0

It reminds so much to the starting zone of the Elves in L2 lol...

Comments

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

While I agree with most that you said, where did this come from?  Meaning this thread, its so random...to much coffee?  lol

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

From what I read the next Lineage game is going to be shown by NcSoft at Gstar(Korean game show) which goes by some code name Project C or Lineage Forever.

http://l2103.gtm.lineage2.com/showthread.php?p=3087038

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2011-10-31/ncsoft_to_exhibit_lineage_forever_at_g_star_2011_1.shtml

• AskedanAskedan Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by afhn2110

While I agree with most that you said, where did this come from?  Meaning this thread, its so random...to much coffee?  lol

Sure, let's call it "Coffee" :P

lol

Originally posted by Asheram

From what I read the next Lineage game is going to be shown by NcSoft at Gstar(Korean game show) which goes by some code name Project C or Lineage Forever.

http://l2103.gtm.lineage2.com/showthread.php?p=3087038

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2011-10-31/ncsoft_to_exhibit_lineage_forever_at_g_star_2011_1.shtml

Meh, after Aion, i really don't trust NCSoft anymore.

Also many of the developers of ArcheAge worked on Lineage 2.

It's like Torchlight 2 being more Diablo 3 than Diablo 3 itself lol.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Askedan

If you are a solo player who just wants to do quests, this game is NOT for you.

Sure, you can solo, but you will miss all the good content this game will have:

Guild Wars, building towns, politics, territorial control, sieges, naval warfare, starting you own faction, CRAFTING.

Everything in this game requires other people, which is a good thing, MMORPGs that cater to solo players tend to be shallow, so shallow that not even the solo players stay after a couple of months.

Yes you will be able to grind quests, just like in every other wow clone you have been playing for so many years, but this game is much more than that :)

ArcheAge is the evolution of Lineage 2, it's basicalle the same game with much more gameplay options and tools for social interaction.

After so many years of waiting, a TRUE mmorpg finally arrives, (yes, im implying that themepark wow clones aren't really mmorpgs)

Everybody wins, this genre needs more diversity.

It's a Themepark/sandbox hybrid, just like Lineage 2.

Here is a gameplay video of an Elf "priest" in the starting zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mY2WyAmCR0

It reminds so much to the starting zone of the Elves in L2 lol...

Saying that themepark mmorpgs are not 'true mmorpgs' just shows how invalid your opinion is.  It shows how you are not open minded within the mmo world, and hold extremely narrow and biased views.  Thus, your post, holds no value and was a waste of time.  Wow alone has a bigger community, with much much more group based content than Lineage 2 could have ever dreamed of having.  WoW puts the definition of 'massively multiplayer online' to a much better use than Lineage 2; despite WoW being a themepark.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

+ its nothing like L2 ..where do people get their info lol

just because some devs worked on one game does not mean its gonna be the same or alike an old game

Originally posted by AvsRock21

Saying that themepark mmorpgs are not 'true mmorpgs' just shows how invalid your opinion is.  It shows how you are not open minded within the mmo world, and hold extremely narrow and biased views.  Thus, your post, holds no value and was a waste of time.  Wow alone has a bigger community, with much much more group based content than Lineage 2 could have ever dreamed of having.  WoW puts the definition of 'massively multiplayer online' to a much better use than Lineage 2; despite WoW being a themepark.

WOW isn't a real mmorpg, everything is instanced.

While Lineage 2 has non-instanced dungeons, castle sieges with 500+ players at the same place at the same time.

WOW, just like every other wow clone, is a single player rpg with the MMO tacked on.

" WoW puts the definition of 'massively multiplayer online' to a much better use than Lineage 2" 

Im sorry, but there is nothing massive about instanced dungeons and instanced raids.

Originally posted by odinsrath

just because some devs worked on one game does not mean its gonna be the same or alike an old game

I get my info from playing the game since the CBT3.

The game is exactly like Lineage 2 with quests, more freedom and more features.

Yes it has 2 factions but they really don't mean anything.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

I get my info from playing the game since the CBT3.

The game is exactly like Lineage 2 with quests, more freedom and more features.

Yes it has 2 factions but they really don't mean anything.

Very cool, sounds awesome then as I freaking hate WoW's instancing. It's really contributed to the demise of the MMO genre IMO.

2 factions don't mean anything, but they are for PvP and such yeah ?

• Crim21Crim21 Member UncommonPosts: 11

the 2 factions are there for early structured pvp. Then theres the third contienent which will be based around ffa pvp and siege warfare.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Yeah once the game really gets going people will be able to make their own factions. Which will be awesome and great for everyone involved. I'm not sure how I'll play it but being apart of a "pirate" faction does sound pretty enticing.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Thank any-and-all-gods! Last thing I would ever want is that Lineage horror-crapfest! I have great hopes for ArcheAge, last thing I want to hear is that it's in any way like those godawful Lineage things.

Originally posted by Crim21

the 2 factions are there for early structured pvp. Then theres the third contienent which will be based around ffa pvp and siege warfare.

Yes, but even better.

I can PK people of my own faction.

A big problem of all these 2 faction mmorpgs is that every ass%$# seems to be in your faction, maybe because you really don't know anything about your "enemies" (people who choosed a different faction, im sorry but that isn't a good reason to kill someone) and you can't kill them.

A noob deserves to be PK'ed, just because he is on the same faction shouldn't be a free ticket to be an ass$"#%.

And even better!!! you can't just go in a PK frenzy and start ganking newbies, anyone that played lineage 2, a FFA PVP, knows that ganking wasn't something common, because when you PK someone, you could drop your equipment.

IMO this is the best PVP system to date, freedom to kill someone WITH consequences, all this trigger happy twinks in todays mmorpgs would lose all their equipment in 2 minutes when the whole server is hunting them for their gear (literally).

BTW ArcheAge has BG's, so in theory you could play this game like a wow clone, it's the beauty of ArcheAge, it caters to many playstyles while giving more rewards to the people who socialize :)

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

Lineage II had some amazing ideas, and a pretty controversial way to secure those ideas were played as they should, it's not a game for everyone, but I'd dare to say that it's probably the second biggest MMO in history, and that in EU and USA the private servers scene was thriving and pretty much almost everybody has at least played it a bit.

Ignoring what L2 accomplished due to that way of wrapping it up with infinte grind would be a mistake, as OP said, the PvP system is praised by many and those sieges were a feat no game has repeated. Even L2 seems to shy away from some of the things they did right in the past though.

I hope Archeage gets the good things from L2 and improves upon the dullness of its grind, a grind that is necessary though, as long as you want to motivate players interaction.

• ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212

What you state it's not really true, because as a solo player you will be able to do MANY things. To be precise, almost everything - apart from those that require a guild of course-. But it will need MUCH more time to accomplish them. Mainly because of labor power, a stat which is need to accomplish some actions (like crafting etc), so if you are a solo player it will end fast but if you coorporate with other people you can "combine" the labor power and complete the actions faster. 

Guild Wars, Sieges: Ok, obviously a guild is required.

Building towns: Every player will be able to build his own town, or village. But he will be forced to acquire all the material alone or... buy them.

Politics/territorial control: If a (solo) player managed to create his own town then he can enforce his own taxes, politics etc..

Naval warfare: Again a solo player can play like a "pirate". He can "harass" other people, sabotage or even steal their ship.

Starting you own faction: Every player will be able to create his own faction, you don't need a guild. The only problem will be to find "followers".

Crafting: If he spends lots of time, he will be able to succeed in crafting too.

So a casual solo player will not be able to accomplish many things. But a hardcore one will have unlimited possibilites... 

(Just made this post in order to encourage solo players to take action, no intense on "flamming you"). And as for the other part, I totally agree with you. ArcheAge will be a next-generation MMORPG where the first 'M' (massively) is meaningful!

Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I think when people say things like "you won't be able to solo in this game" what they really mean is "Soloing will not be ideal in this game." Yes we could do all those things you mentioned above by ourselves but it is going to take a lot longer and be way more difficult to be able to accomplish it all by yourself.

It appears it's not going to be like other games where they make soloing and playing by yourself virtually just as challenging and grouping with others. As far as I'm concerned that's a good thing! I do enjoy the occational soloing venture but I have my single player RPGs for playing by myself. When it comes to MMORPGs I like the interaction with people and prefer games that promote that.

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

Originally posted by Crim21

Yes, but even better.

I can PK people of my own faction.

A big problem of all these 2 faction mmorpgs is that every ass%$# seems to be in your faction, maybe because you really don't know anything about your "enemies" (people who choosed a different faction, im sorry but that isn't a good reason to kill someone) and you can't kill them.

A noob deserves to be PK'ed, just because he is on the same faction shouldn't be a free ticket to be an ass$"#%.

And even better!!! you can't just go in a PK frenzy and start ganking newbies, anyone that played lineage 2, a FFA PVP, knows that ganking wasn't something common, because when you PK someone, you could drop your equipment.

IMO this is the best PVP system to date, freedom to kill someone WITH consequences, all this trigger happy twinks in todays mmorpgs would lose all their equipment in 2 minutes when the whole server is hunting them for their gear (literally).

BTW ArcheAge has BG's, so in theory you could play this game like a wow clone, it's the beauty of ArcheAge, it caters to many playstyles while giving more rewards to the people who socialize :)

Rewards to people who socialize? You mean like Facebook friends where people have 800,000 friends? Yeah that mechanic worked great in MafiaMob Wars and their ilk.