Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Social things of grouping

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Normally when starting out a new game, i allways friends with the people i group up with, lots of times ending in a guild together...  But in GW2, there will be no grouping and no groupchat. 

They said that in GW2, the game will lead the people towards content automatically, and people will take their roles in the world naturally working together against a single or group of foes... There is no verbal communication needed at all... it will happen just naturally...

With people all hunting targets and being very busy with dynamic things, what happened to the social function of groups allowing people to talk to eachother and stuff..

I just can imagine a large group of people working together as a well oiled f8ighting machine all taking naturall actions and saving eachothers butt many times and then at the end of the evening all walking in different directions without knowing eachother or even having spoken a single word with the nice people behind the other characters...

Will this feel the same as Multi server Dungeon Queues?  ..... where people also rarely talk...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Normally when starting out a new game, i allways friends with the people i group up with, lots of times ending in a guild together...  But in GW2, there will be no grouping and no groupchat. 

They said that in GW2, the game will lead the people towards content automatically, and people will take their roles in the world naturally working together against a single or group of foes... There is no verbal communication needed at all... it will happen just naturally...

With people all hunting targets and being very busy with dynamic things, what happened to the social function of groups allowing people to talk to eachother and stuff..

I just can imagine a large group of people working together as a well oiled f8ighting machine all taking naturall actions and saving eachothers butt many times and then at the end of the evening all walking in different directions without knowing eachother or even having spoken a single word with the nice people behind the other characters...

Will this feel the same as Multi server Dungeon Queues?  ..... where people also rarely talk...

There is still formal grouping and groupchat, it just isn't required in the persistent world, only in dungeons and instanced PvP.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

I’ve noticed that trend in most recent mmos.  But you cant blame the game or the developer. i think the days are gone of when ppl would walk by you and buff you, or send you tells when they see you are in a dungeon they are on and talk ect. Even I have noticed that I am less social than i used to be back in the EQ and DAOC days.

I figured i was just getting complacent and less interested in the social aspect. or perhaps the mmo community is becoming too large and more and more toolsheds are playing that I don’t care to talk to.

i say its a mix of:

:  The mmo community is larger and ppl are not as friendly as the old days.

:  Recent games are more solo friendly creating bad social habbits.

:  90% of the time the chat channels are spammed with flaming. not anything constructive.

:   MMOs were new back in the day, and now its old news thus the social aspect isn’t as exciting.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by WellzyC

I’ve noticed that trend in most recent mmos.  But you cant blame the game or the developer. i think the days are gone of when ppl would walk by you and buff you, or send you tells when they see you are in a dungeon they are on and talk ect. Even I have noticed that I am less social than i used to be back in the EQ and DAOC days.

I figured i was just getting complacent and less interested in the social aspect. or perhaps the mmo community is becoming too large and more and more toolsheds are playing that I don’t care to talk to.

i say its a mix of:

:  90% of the time the chat channels are spammed with flaming. not anything constructive.

:   MMOs were new back in the day, and now its old news thus the social aspect isn’t as exciting.

I refuse to beleive that....

In the old days games where less theme park forcing people to work together...

Its the game dictating how much community there will be

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

OP, your exact question is answered in this slideshow: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1013691/Designing_Guild_Wars_2_Dynamic_Events (at the Q&A part but you should watch the whole thing if you haven't already).

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

I do get what you are saying. I am sure some people will create more socialy acceptable guilds. I do feel that this game will be more like a BF3 social atmosphere, which is hardly social unless your guild/clan likes vent talking

• AskedanAskedan Member Posts: 39

It will be exactly like Rift.

Auto join a group, complete the rift / DE, and then everyone leaves without saying a word.

It's what i would call "solo group play".

The fact that everyone can heal themselves doesn't help either.

But it's not a bad thing, just different.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Askedan

Auto join a group, complete the rift / DE, and then everyone leaves without saying a word.

We will see if its a bad or good thing, it may sacrifce some of its soul because of this. Still going to enjoy it though I hope :)

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

There is no "auto-join" in GW2. But for the most part I agree that people will go about their own business.

Watch the slideshow I linked above. Anet feels (and has seen in intern testing) that dynamic events are different. First of all, dynamic events are the ONLY content in the persistent world instead of a minor thing next to normal quests. Second of all, events are part of chains so you stick together with a group for longer during a chain. Last of all, there are no mechanics which make it a bad thing if other or more players show up.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

It won't be exactly like Rift. People will be far less likely to leave the soft-group because that's the immediate content that's presented to them. In Rift, when a Rift ended, there usually wasn't a whole lot else going on so they ended up just going back to where they were doing traditional quests, which is an inherently antisocial content type.

Dynamic events not only chain across the map and into other dynamic events, keeping the players playing together longer, but they are also the primary content that's there and they're happening all the time. Players are also notified of dynamic events by proximity, so if you've all just gotten to the end of the chain on one dyanmic event, there's almost sure to be another in everyone's HUD/DE tracker and people will most likely go to that one.

Rift and DE's definitely won't be the same in that regard.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by Diovidius

There is still formal grouping and groupchat, it just isn't required in the persistent world, only in dungeons and instanced PvP.

I hope there is grouping in open world even if there is no direct need for it. Grouping facilitates socializing because of the shared chat channel.

While WAR public quests were still populated and fun you'd usually begin with a bunch of strangers happening on an event. Then someone would start to chat in general... And after the PQ was finished someone would say something like "you're all a cool bunch of people, lets group and go to the next event together..." and after some time I'd probably end with a new guild mate or two. It's a natural way of forming adventuring parties and socializing in the game.

Forced grouping is bad, but grouping itself is essential in mmos imho. If GW2 has no grouping mechanics in open world then i feel that it's a very serious oversight in design.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

OMG if this is true I will def not be playing this game....

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

OP, your exact question is answered in this slideshow: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1013691/Designing_Guild_Wars_2_Dynamic_Events (at the Q&A part but you should watch the whole thing if you haven't already).

Seriously.  I don't think people are qualified to post in this thread (actually, let's make it the entire GW2 forum) until they have watched this video in its entirety.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by WellzyC

i say its a mix of:

I refuse to beleive that....

In the old days games where less theme park forcing people to work together...

Its the game dictating how much community there will be

Yep, I agree with you on this.  I find it odd that people are asking for more "social features" in games - Twitter/Facebook/etc - when because of the nature of the game, those features will not actually make people more social - it will just improve how social they can be within the limited amount they are being social because of the game.

MMOrpgs have become much more solo-friendly, far more casual - outside of certain things like dungeons, raids, or PvP - it actually feels as if other people being there is a hindrance.  Fighting over the same mobs, blocking access to NPCs, spamming chat channels with nonsense, screwing with the game's economy, farming mats into oblivion, etc, etc, etc.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

That is not what I read.  From what I read, all they did was remove tapping... such a simple thing, getting credit for participating in a kill rather than just being the first to tap the mob...

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by cali59

Seriously.  I don't think people are qualified to post in this thread (actually, let's make it the entire GW2 forum) until they have watched this video in its entirety.

I like to read. It's much faster than watching some guy stutter through an hour of badly recorded amateur video in some conference room. In fact, I detest video interviews on game review sites in general (TB expcepted, ofc.) What is wrong with text? What, video is like so cool like we're in 1982? Just give us the quote or at least a time code ok?

These cryptic "you're not worthy of being listened to unless you've seen this whole video" just make you sound like a dork.

The OP has a legit question and actually it's something that's been bothering me too, and I've been following GW2 from the very start. You really can't call any of us ignorant regarding GW2. But to my very extensive knowledge ANet NEVER clearly stated whether there are any formal grouping mechanics AT ALL in open world or in WvW and that is a pretty serious issue.

• xxantiheroxxxxantiheroxx Member UncommonPosts: 68

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

I hope there is grouping in open world even if there is no direct need for it. Grouping facilitates socializing because of the shared chat channel.

While WAR public quests were still populated and fun you'd usually begin with a bunch of strangers happening on an event. Then someone would start to chat in general... And after the PQ was finished someone would say something like "you're all a cool bunch of people, lets group and go to the next event together..." and after some time I'd probably end with a new guild mate or two. It's a natural way of forming adventuring parties and socializing in the game.

Forced grouping is bad, but grouping itself is essential in mmos imho. If GW2 has no grouping mechanics in open world then i feel that it's a very serious oversight in design.

I don't think OP meant that you aren't ABLE to group and chat in open world, because you are. I think he just meant that most people wouldn't do it because he believes there's no need to.

Originally posted by xxantiheroxx

...snip...

I don't think OP meant that you aren't ABLE to group and chat in open world, because you are. I think he just meant that most people wouldn't do it because he believes there's no need to.

It makes me think of the public groups in RIFT.  How many times would people group up without saying a word to eachother, whack-a-mob, then go on their separate ways again...

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by cali59

I like to read. It's much faster than watching some guy stutter through an hour of badly recorded amateur video in some conference room. In fact, I detest video interviews on game review sites in general (TB expcepted, ofc.) What is wrong with text? What, video is like so cool like we're in 1982? Just give us the quote or at least a time code ok?

These cryptic "you're not worthy of being listened to unless you've seen this whole video" just make you sound like a dork.

The OP has a legit question and actually it's something that's been bothering me too, and I've been following GW2 from the very start. You really can't call any of us ignorant regarding GW2. But to my very extensive knowledge ANet NEVER clearly stated whether there are any formal grouping mechanics AT ALL in open world or in WvW and that is a pretty serious issue.

I'm in a video game forum debating a game that might not be out for 6 months.  I'll risk sounding like a dork.

For me to describe all the aspects of DEs would take me an entire page, and then I usually just end up saying to watch that video because I expect people aren't going to read an entire wall of text.  Naturally, the guy who wants the wall of text complains about the video.  :)

There are formal grouping mechanics in GW2.  http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Party

To answer some of the other points in this thread, there are a few things that separate DEs from quests and PQs and rifts.

The first is that the world is created to be devoid of griefing. In a traditional MMO, your quests are isolating. You're doing them by yourself. You don't want to see other people because they might steal your kills or start an escort quest without you, loot the ground items you need, take that resource node. You literally DO NOT WANT TO SEE OTHER PEOPLE in a traditional MMO.

Even with Rifts, unless they've changed it to be fully cooperative, there's still competition, you're trying to tag mobs to get xp.

In GW2, everything is cooperative. You each get xp when you help kill a mob, you each get loot.  Being together with other people mean you're killing those mobs faster.  You're rewarded for a DE just based on how much you participated. Everybody gets a shot at resource nodes. Other players cannot possibly hurt you.

In fact, because DEs scale up with more people, they become more chaotic and fun. You WANT to see other people in GW2.

The second reason is that people can work together. Everybody can rez anybody else at any time. That right there is enough to start a conversation with a thanks. People can also use cross profession combos to work with each other. Sure, it could be visual, but it also opens a door to talking as well, and I don't mean just a thanks. It's going to be much easier in GW2 to tell if someone knows what they're doing or not. Are they setting you up for combos, are they taking advantage of your combos. Do they pay attention to their surroundings, do they rez you? It'll be a lot easier to see that someone might be a person you'll want to do a dungeon with later.

And probably most importantly, dynamic events chain.  This is huge. The whole problem with quests or rifts or dungeon finder is that there is no point to getting to know somebody if they're just going to leave. Even a rift might be something you're just doing on the way to a quest, or even if not, unless you follow someone you're not going to go to the next one together. With DEs there is absolutely no incentive to do anything other than just follow the chain. You're already there. So people stay in contact with each other for longer. There's also probably downtime between events. Downtime is huge because it gives people a chance to talk.

All these things combine together to make a situation where people are naturally drawn together to form these bands of 5-10 players just walking down the road together from event to event.  They've seen it in playtesting, they've even seen it at demo stations.  You've progressing as fast as you can, you've got more xp and loot, you've got people around you for extended periods, you've got cross profession combos and chaotic fun fights,  you've got people to protect you and rez you, you're building on the consequences of your actions.  People might start off having no intention of talking but they're just drawn into it because the game puts absolutely no barriers in the way of socializing. 

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

*snip*

Actually the OP was mostly talking out of his a$$, saying such nonesense like how Guild Wars 2 has no formal grouping when it's pretty evident from this vid that there is formal grouping and they've even said so recently, in articles & interviews. Also the very structure of GW2 is fundamentally different from Rift, yet the OP is saying how it will end up like Rift, when that conference video Diovidius explains otherwise.

So really, this thread is pointless

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by VirusDancer

...snip...

It makes me think of the public groups in RIFT.  How many times would people group up without saying a word to eachother, whack-a-mob, then go on their separate ways again...

There won't be an auto-grouping feature in GW2, like there is in Rift. You will have to manually send/accept a party invite in order to be in a party. Also there are no open-world quest in GW2, so when you're with some random people completing an Event chain, what do you do after you're done? Simple, you do more events, since there are no quests that force to you part ways. That almost never happens in Rift, unless you're rift farming.

• xxantiheroxxxxantiheroxx Member UncommonPosts: 68

Well, also with Rift, most people would get bored after 1 or 2 rifts anyways because it was just the same thing over and over and it was much more efficient to do quests to level.

With GW2, the primary form of leveling will be DEs. And not only that, but the more people you play with, the better experience and rewards you'll get from doing DEs since they scale.

Honestly though, at launch day there's going to be so many people running around doing events that it's not like you're gonna feel alone if you're in a group or not. There's going to be so many people around all working together and doing the same events with you.

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by VirusDancer

...snip...

There won't be an auto-grouping feature in GW2, like there is in Rift. You will have to manually send/accept a party invite in order to be in a party. Also there are no open-world quest in GW2, so when you're with some random people completing an Event chain, what do you do after you're done? Simple, you do more events, since there are no quests that force to you part ways. That almost never happens in Rift, unless you're rift farming.

It was in regard to the social aspects...if you do not even have to group... how will it not be worse than it was in RIFT?

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Watch this: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1013691/Designing_Guild_Wars_2_Dynamic_Events

Colin says from their testing that people actually tend to stick together after having fought together. But also that dynamic events require a rewiring in the players mind because they dont have to go back to a quest giver.

because people can't hurt each other or steal from one another, the only way to get big epic battles is to have more people. want more enemies to fight = get more friends. and it seems that once players realize this, things get hot and heavy and friendships are formed.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

It is undisputable that if people were to do an event that finished almost as quickly as it started that people wouldn't bother speaking, but if the event was longer and required working together people would be more likely to communicate. Probably first by shouting insults at each other but still communication nonetheless.

This is not a game.