Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Voidstar Trailer

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, the Star Wars: The Old Republic team posted a new video featuring the warzone called the Voidstar. It's a terrific first look at the latest warzone to be revealed by the devs. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
  • popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Voidstar is an assault-style Warzone in which one side attempts to fight its way to access the ship’s data core, while the other side defends the ship and attempts to prevent the other side from reaching the data core.

The battle takes places across multiple sections of the ship, through blast doors and across elevated bridge spans where taking a fall is almost always lethal. The attackers battle their way through each section, drawing ever closer to the ship’s data core, while the defenders seek to halt the attackers’ progress at various control points

The match is broken up into multiple rounds. After the completion of each round, the teams switch sides between being the attackers and the defenders. The winner is determined by whichever side reaches the data core the fastest. In the case that the defenders win both rounds, the winner is determined by whichever side came closest to achieving the objective.

Sounds interesting and gives a different type of PvP so good deal.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Reminds me a bit of some Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory maps. Always enjoyed those.

It's nice to see something a bit more involved then a simple capture the flag or capture objectives.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• CobaneCobane Member UncommonPosts: 150

It looks cool but is basically organized sports. 

• jkfcjkfc Member UncommonPosts: 42

that looks really good.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

That looks absolutely terrible. 

SWG even had a better combat system, and it was STILL tab targeting. This just looks like a more clunky version of WoW or EQII IF that's even possible.

Nothing to see here except more of the old overused archaic "Themepark" system :(. Heck, even Aoc looks smoother in terms of combat, and that game is pretty bad :(.

When are we going to get a REAL StarWars MMO?

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

That looks absolutely terrible.

SWG even had a better combat system, and it was STILL tab targeting. This just looks like a more clunky version of WoW or EQII IF that's even possible.

Nothing to see here except more of the old overused archaic "Themepark" system :(. Heck, even Aoc looks smoother in terms of combat, and that game is pretty bad (.

When are we going to get a REAL StarWars MMO?

If it looked like GW2 animations then I would over with fanboism, but to me the trailers are not that impressive and the combat looks basically how you described it.

Tor fans will dispute this claim by saying the Beta plays much smoother, but it does look very dated.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

It looks like a 1980's B rated movie promotion. It is pretty bad.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Looking pretty clunky... maybe turning up the Star Wars tunes up louder will help... cause that's the only think I see here going for it.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

I think it looks very fun and very epic.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171

This wasn't a very good trailer.  I'm not personally fond of the voidstar either.

[Mod Edit]

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Not overly impressed with the trailer, though the objective based PvP could be fun...

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

Dunno what video you guys were watching, but I thought this looked much better than the combat I watched months ago.

I agree that overall, this is yet another esports style PVP scenario with fixed objectives and "rounds" --  I dunno why this style of pvp has become so popular in MMORPGs.  Works out much better in FPS games where every character is balanced and equally functional, as well as how in FPS' there's less focus on what your class can do and what abilities are available and more a focus on the objectives themselves.    Movement. Aim. Fire.  Alternate fire.  Grab the flag. Run back.    

Oh well, such is the way of things.        Open World PVP is apparently not "fun" anymore for the new kids, and that's a shame.    This sports stuff needs to stop taking over RPG style PVP. i.e. knowledge of terrain, local mobs, time of day, proximitiy to towns/camps for backup, SURPRISE factor, and the general essence of not knowing what happens next.    That's PVP.

Still, I think this video looked great.   I think the combat is looking better and better.    My only issue with it is the blaster bolts following moving characters make them seem like the needle-gun in HALO.    Very un-Star Wars-y

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

ranged dps FTW

Originally posted by gimmesome
    Dunno what video you guys were watching, but I thought this looked much better than the combat I watched months ago.

I agree that overall, this is yet another esports style PVP scenario with fixed objectives and "rounds" --  I dunno why this style of pvp has become so popular in MMORPGs.

Sports-style PvP is more popular because it usually doesn't involve grandiose objectives that take hours to achieve. Look at Warhammer. For a lot of people it was pretty fun but for just as many, it was harder to get into due to the time factor of logging in, getting into a skirmish, chasing people/objectives around a whole map before achieving victory.

While this is ideal if someone has hours and hours to play, if they are on a shorter time frame it won't work. They'd end up staying on way too late or having to log early before getting their rewards.

Taking into account that TOR is designed for the casual/less serious gamer, this and Huttball makes more sense. A lot of other games go this route as well because it's easy in/easy out and people earn their rewards quick.

Contrary to what harder-game PvPers think, the majority of people usually only want about 15-30 minute matches according to company's polling data. Why do you think games like League of Legends is so popular?

Old school hours in dungeons or hours fighting over one map spot isn't as popular as it once was.

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

Originally posted by popinjay

I agree that overall, this is yet another esports style PVP scenario with fixed objectives and "rounds" --  I dunno why this style of pvp has become so popular in MMORPGs.

*snip*

Contrary to what harder-game PvPers think, the majority of people usually only want about 15-30 minute matches according to company's polling data. Why do you think games like League of Legends is so popular?

Old school hours in dungeons or hours fighting over one map spot isn't as popular as it once was.

Yeah, I think at this point, it is beyond clear that pvp-mini games are more popular.    Popularity never automatically means "better", though.   I'm all for options.   The option to queue up for esports.  The option not to.  The option to get rewarded via esport involvement, the option to get rewarded for WORLD involvement, etc.

I just know that I'm one of the people (and we are many, not just a tiny minority) that does not enjoy adventuring and discovering the gameworld without the possibility of fighting other players.  Esp. in a setting where there is a clear defined opposition.     As long as I am free to attack and be attacked by someone while I'm out in the world, I see no problem with having the option for Esports.   Just terrible if it's forced.        

Personally, I don't see how open-world PVP is so time consuming that it required the overabundant implimentation of battlegrounds and other pvp instances.     For years, in all the mmorpgs I enjoyed, if I didn't have a lot of time to play, I knew I could at least log in, run around to the popular grinding/questing/hunting/camping spots and stir up some intense PVP situations, and then log off once I had my fill.   No timers, or scoreboards, or queue system, or objectives.  Just enjoying what my character can do, and seeing what everyone else could do with theirs.    You win some, you lose some, but you got better and better every encounter.     These esports take away from that.    People seem to mostly concentrate on their prizes instead of their performance.      

"your team won! Here's 100 points to spend on gear."   "your team lost! Here's 50 points to spend on gear"  --  See the problem here?    It's no wonder people just default to cookiecutter builds and spell/skill rotations instead of actually learning their class properly.    It's no wonder most of these people fail HARD when they encounter someone who's not focusing on capturing some flag.

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

Looks decent. Sure its not pretty graphics for 2012 but its made to run smooth on older PCs.

Gameplay and fun factor will decide if it will have succes not graphics. WoW taught us that lesson.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

personally I've despised pvp in all games I've played except Rift and I'm looking forward to the warfronts in SWToR alot.

I prefer the "esports" to being ganked by someone 20+ levels above me or macro'd to max skills or whathaveyou.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Sweet, combat looked pretty fast paced.

Also great to see mmorpg.com embedding youtube clips! +1

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

I think SWTOR will be awsome, but.....

The combat does look lack luster so far from these trailers.

Where are the dodge animations when blaster fire is coming your way ?

This will be a great game, but they will live and learn from it.

I feel Bioware had to do some things that they may have not wanted to do beacsue of LA and there marketing ideas

Then again, combat has never been BW's strong point (ME2 was a good step in the right direction, but probably would not work in a mmo).

• DianicDianic Member Posts: 69

I think this warzone looks fun as hell!

Of course, I haven't actually played the instance to give a true opinion of the zone, but then again... none of you speaking negatively against it have either.  :)

The zone reminds me a lot of  "Strands of the Ancients" ... one team assaulting a core while the other one defends it.  Anybody else get this impression?

If the warzones play anything like WoW did, I am certain they will be fun.  I still stand by my previous beliefs... if it aint broke... don't fix it.

If WoW (and others) did it right, take what was right and make it better!  That's what Apple & Microsoft have done from day one and look where it got them  :)

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by elocke

/yawn

You care enough to comment. See you in game.

Personally, I don't see how open-world PVP is so time consuming that it required the overabundant implimentation of battlegrounds and other pvp instances.     For years, in all the mmorpgs I enjoyed, if I didn't have a lot of time to play, I knew I could at least log in, run around to the popular grinding/questing/hunting/camping spots and stir up some intense PVP situations, and then log off once I had my fill.   No timers, or scoreboards, or queue system, or objectives.  Just enjoying what my character can do, and seeing what everyone else could do with theirs.    You win some, you lose some, but you got better and better every encounter.     These esports take away from that.    People seem to mostly concentrate on their prizes instead of their performance.      
    "your team won! Here's 100 points to spend on gear."   "your team lost! Here's 50 points to spend on gear"  --  See the problem here?    It's no wonder people just default to cookiecutter builds and spell/skill rotations instead of actually learning their class properly.    It's no wonder most of these people fail HARD when they encounter someone who's not focusing on capturing some flag.

One of the problems with open world PvP is that it's population dependant like nothing else. If you do not have a lot of people doing it, it just lacks any type of fun. Usually a few people running around here, a few running there but not much of anything. Then servers start dying because no one wants to participate.

Plus, open world PvP requires quite a bit on "organic" battles; ones that just "happen". Usually you cannot get 100 people to go out and run into another 100 people. One side is going to usually be bigger and steamroll so while there are bits of fun, most of it is a losing battle for one side. Then you end up with one side dominating and the other quitting (server hopping) or defecting (rerolling). The newer style of PvP encounters don't rely on that at all.

With the smaller scale PvP, you just queue and usually you don't have to wait too long. The matches are quick so you get a feeling of completion because a lot are timed, or they are setup in such a way that the objectives aren't extremely difficult.

Again, if someone logs on and they want to open world PvP, unless there is something happening, it's just a zerg group going around ganking people in the hopes that someone will fight back.. that gets pretty old fast and pisses off both sides more often than some organic PvP epic battle will happen.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Err? I watched the vid THREE TIMES, and even *I* didn't see anything to particularly hate here. I guess you guys really make things up with the hate now.

I am all open for critique... but this? *shrug*

It's just a fast paced typical PVP scenario. Whats wrong? ?__?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

I thought this looked good. 

Haters gonna hate.