Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If people have got this heated over Blizzard adding a Panda race, I would hate to see the rage of pl

Comments

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Originally posted by Zenjinx

Originally posted by precious328

This isn't just about Kung Fu Panda. It's about the simple fact that Panda's are cute, cuddly, and are generally hanging from the wall of a baby's room.

Ogres are known to be violent, big, and strong in other games. They won't be typecasted as a Shrek character.

The Panda was a terrible choice. I cannot believe the Blizz devs actually agreed on this. What did they think was going to happen?

You have Undead, Trolls, Elves, Dwarves, ...   Panda Bears.

You left out the cute ones. Gnomes. And the silly ones Cows, Space creatures, etc. I would go  as far to say, there is no character in WoW that is not somewhat cutified. Even the orcs are not at all intimidating, and look kinda cuddly.

Have you ever tried hangin a panda up over a baby? Way too heavy. Plus, just because you think pandas are cute, does not mean everyone does. Stop generalizing please.

The funny part about this argument is you think imaginary creatures are actually tougher than real life bears. I mean have you actually tried to cuddle a panda?

Enjoy your happy meal.

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

Yes. I know real life Pandas aren't exactly cuddly - in real life. However, there iss nothing about WoW that is even remotely close to real life.

Enjoy your happy meal.

So, if there is nothing about WoW that is even remotely close to real life, why are you arguing against pandas? I mean really, why would you waste your time tearing down one thing as immature, when the whole game has been that way since launch?

BTW I gave up WoW years ago. Just for your happy meal comment, joker.

Yes. I know real life Pandas aren't exactly cuddly - in real life. However, there iss nothing about WoW that is even remotely close to real life.

Enjoy your happy meal.

So, if there is nothing about WoW that is even remotely close to real life, why are you arguing against pandas? I mean really, why would you waste your time tearing down one thing as immature, when the whole game has been that way since launch?

BTW I gave up WoW years ago. Just for your happy meal comment, joker.

It's a Panda bear.

One of the mods here loves Pandas, too. Everytime I speak out against the Panda, I lose half a star. HAHA. Oh Noes!! My star! lol

It's a Panda bear.

One of the mods here loves Pandas, too. Everytime I speak out against the Panda, I lose half a star. HAHA. Oh Noes!! My star! lol

It's a panda bear? Is that all you have to say? Any backing up of the argument? Or are we to assume that you think you are some dark, serious person, disgusted by anything you perceive as "cute"?

Weak arguments to say the least. Next you will say "because I said so". Go cuddle a wild panda, come back and tell us how cute it was. Then maybe someone will perceive you as hard core.

I would say you lose stars because of poorly backed posts, nonsense, not adding to discussion, etc. Essentially saying thinghs like "Because , it's a panda" and expecting everyone to go "oh yeah, you said it brother, you tell it like it is, give it to the man". Laughable to say the least.

WoW is cute. Always has been, always will.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Loke666

Actually, ogre race is no problem whatsoever unless they look just like Shrek.

Ogres have been a playable race in many MMOs the last 12 years at least. Try EQ2 to mention one.

The real problem is that the pandas look exactly like Kung fu panda...

And even if someone copied a shrek like ogre, ogres have been part of western mythology a long time and are common in fantasy books and a classic D&D monster.

Panda monks on the other hand are really new.

And BTW: panda hater and Wow hater is not the same thing.

Incorrect Sir. The Panderan in WoW have a large amount of texture to them, facial hair, hair hair and not so rounded faces. Whereas, Kung Fu Panda is very smooth, no hair, rounded face. If you do a few google image searches, I think most will agree, they don't look very much alike at all - I mean, as different as such an animal can look. Can someone post some screens? I'm at work, so I can't. 

/end sarcasm

When will this ridiculousness end? If people don't like a game, I don't understand why they just don't play it?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I'm not playing anymore, but I do like ogres.

Originally posted by stealthbr

Ogres have been done in other games like Everquest and they are fine. No one in their right mind will associate an ogre with Shrek because he has very little resemblance to actual ogres. Unless you want to pull off a humoristic and childish atmosphere in your game, then pandas are not fine. Their look, their general behavior, and their diet make them a rather silly addition to a serious fantasy setting. They do not look fierce, they do not act fiercely (unless provoked insistently), and they eat BAMBOOS. But hey, it's Warcraft, and silly is its middle name..

Actually, I don't even know why I'm posting in this pointless thread...

Actual Ogres? Do I even have to say anything here?

Ok, for arguments sake I will.... There are no actual Ogres. Therefore, putting an "Ogre" in a "game" has technically already added kinda a childish atmosphere as most average working adults don't really believe in nor care for ogres. While many adults play video games, its still regarded as a "childish" act or hobby by most (at least most the dicks I know..lol).

Next, "Serious Fantasy Setting" This is sort of a contradiction isn't it? ... I think the issue with people talking about the Lore and Blizzard ruining the "seriousness" of the game is that people take this shit too serious in the first place. Everyone on this site needs to remember we're playing video games. I accept it, you should too.

These are games folks, they're not really meant to be serious. They're meant to play, enjoy, relax, decompress, etc. 

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Praetalus

Incorrect Sir. The Panderan in WoW have a large amount of texture to them, facial hair, hair hair and not so rounded faces. Whereas, Kung Fu Panda is very smooth, no hair, rounded face. If you do a few google image searches, I think most will agree, they don't look very much alike at all - I mean, as different as such an animal can look. Can someone post some screens? I'm at work, so I can't. 

/end sarcasm

When will this ridiculousness end? If people don't like a game, I don't understand why they just don't play it?

Many of us don't play it (anymore).  That doesn't mean we can't point and laugh when we see something laughable.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Just as has been pointed out that the Ogres in most fantasy games don't resemble those in the Shrek cartoons, I don't see a lot of resemblence in the models I've seen so far in WOW to the cartoon Kung Fu panda, so I can't see a problem really.

Other than for most folks, Ogres have a fiercesome repuatation in most fantasy lore and Panda's rarely do.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

agree

people wouldnt think twice about ogres

eq back in 1999 launched with ogres and trolls for player races

-  ogres are not that much different than elves for fantasy 101

It's a Panda bear.

It's a panda bear? Is that all you have to say? Any backing up of the argument? Or are we to assume that you think you are some dark, serious person, disgusted by anything you perceive as "cute"?

Weak arguments to say the least. Next you will say "because I said so". Go cuddle a wild panda, come back and tell us how cute it was. Then maybe someone will perceive you as hard core.

I would say you lose stars because of poorly backed posts, nonsense, not adding to discussion, etc. Essentially saying thinghs like "Because , it's a panda" and expecting everyone to go "oh yeah, you said it brother, you tell it like it is, give it to the man". Laughable to say the least.

You can love on the Panda all you want. The fact of the matter is this: It's CLEAR that many people think it's sassy. It's not just me. Why the heck do you think we have thread after thread on this very subject?

Wake up, bro.

The Panda is simply one of those animals that has been typecasted into child's play.

The hippo, the giraffe, the zebra, and the panda, etc. All powerful animals that simply won't work... or will at least spark an argument.

It's a Panda bear.

You can love on the Panda all you want. The fact of the matter is this: It's CLEAR that many people think it's sassy. It's not just me. Why the heck do you think we have thread after thread on this very subject?

Wake up, bro.

The Panda is simply one of those animals that has been typecasted into child's play.

The hippo, the giraffe, the zebra, and the panda, etc. All powerful animals that simply won't work... or will at least spark an argument.

Well perhaps those of use still playing WoW will have to change the typecast when we start melting faces in game...lol - We'll just have to wait and see how it goes, but I still predict that even with all the hate post, this expansion will be HUGH - 

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Well perhaps those of use still playing WoW will have to change the typecast when we start melting faces in game...lol - We'll just have to wait and see how it goes, but I still predict that even with all the hate post, this expansion will be HUGH - 

I just resubbed to wow saturday. One friend is excited about rolling a panda, one hasnt decided and one said he will be glad when the new xpac gets here. I havnt talked to everyone I know about it but Ive yet to hear any hate ove it.  So I guess not "everyone" is as pissed off as some seem to think.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

Wake up, bro.

Who said anything about panda love. Oh, I get it, that was your attempt to make me look foolish. Poor attempt though.

If you care to read. I said I don't play WoW.

I do however like to make light of people like yourself, who think their thought is the only one that is correct.

Again, go hug a panda. Then if you can find any of the other childish creatures in WoW in real life, show us how grown up and non-kiddy they are.

I know you perceive yourself as a dark individual, but most probably would not. I mean throwing fits about "immature" creatures in an "immature" game. That just reaks of stupidity. Rating 12+  fyi.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

It's a Panda bear.

Wake up, bro.

Don't forget about lions, tigers, alligators and bears. They too have been kiddie-fied. People having a hard time seperating asian culture from Kungfu Panda need to get a "grip" (nod to the old school crowd). It's foolish that these people have a hard time keeping their fantasy settings seperate from eah other and judging them on the grounds of their own lore.

I don't see people bringing up Tony The Tiger, The Cowardly Lion, Wally Gator or Yogi Bear everytime a mmo needs a new humanoid race. And I think the problem stems from evertime a panda is brought up, people tend to associate it with a small cute cub instead of the dirty vicious things I see in the zoo all the time. This is the main reason people tend to look at them in a positive light.

But I'm sure it's a whole different story in asia where pandas maul. maime and kill people all the time. I'm sure they look at pandas the same way we see grizzly bears here in the states. It's all about exposure. Blame that on the retarded western media, not Blizzard or the asian themed settings of MoP. I know I will save judgement on how "badass" they look until I can see more models, so I won't judge the whole x-pac on the handful of work-in-progess models, concept art and videos.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

What's wrong with ogres?

They've existed in Warcraft as a fully fleshed out race for a long while. There's a lot of lore behind them and they generally just "fit" within Warcraft. I wouldn't think twice about them being added to the game, because if anything they should be added as a playable race for the Horde.

And I'm one of the so called "haters" of MoP.

It's really very sad that so many people can't accept that a lot of people simply just don't like the idea of MoP, completely independent of whether they "hate" WoW or not. Personally I lost interest in WoW, but I previously enjoyed it very much for several years. I don't have it out for the game or the people who still play it, but I still think that MoP is a terrible concept for a WoW expansion.

People can have a negative opinion about something without being a "hater". Shocking, I know.

Wake up, bro.

Who said anything about panda love. Oh, I get it, that was your attempt to make me look foolish. Poor attempt though.

If you care to read. I said I don't play WoW.

I do however like to make light of people like yourself, who think their thought is the only one that is correct.

Again, go hug a panda. Then if you can find any of the other childish creatures in WoW in real life, show us how grown up and non-kiddy they are.

I know you perceive yourself as a dark individual, but most probably would not. I mean throwing fits about "immature" creatures in an "immature" game. That just reaks of stupidity. Rating 12+  fyi.

I don't like the Panda class. I'm sorry that you don't agree and feel the need to argue.

I said that I think Panda's are sassy. You jumped all over me for that. Who's the one throwing the fit?

Originally posted by Ceridith

What's wrong with ogres?

They've existed in Warcraft as a fully fleshed out race for a long while. There's a lot of lore behind them and they generally just "fit" within Warcraft. I wouldn't think twice about them being added to the game, because if anything they should be added as a playable race for the Horde.

And I'm one of the so called "haters" of MoP.

It's really very sad that so many people can't accept that a lot of people simply just don't like the idea of MoP, completely independent of whether they "hate" WoW or not. Personally I lost interest in WoW, but I previously enjoyed it very much for several years. I don't have it out for the game or the people who still play it, but I still think that MoP is a terrible concept for a WoW expansion.

People can have a negative opinion about something without being a "hater". Shocking, I know.

Here you go about your  `hater` rant again. You see yourself as a hater because you hate the xpac. Then you come here and accuse everyone of calling you a `hater`.

You really need to let that go.

Disliking it does not make you a hater, but saying that everyone is calling you or any other negative posters as haters, is a little bit sensitive, and very defensive.

You don`t like the pandas, while others do. Not hard for anyone to accept, but you seem to think we can`t accept your opinion. Well, we can, but some of us think it is silly to argue about maturity in a 12+ rated game.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Waiting for Blizzard to put in the Blue macaws from Rio as a playable race.....

***Raises plunger in salute to Night elf girls everywhere!*** 

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

The OP is a well known WoW shill... It's quite telling when he has to stoop to such inept arguments in order to defend that game. Imo Bliz is really starting to feel the heat...

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Yamota

oops wrong picture

Two wrongs does not make one right. Showing an even more stupid and silly race does not make the case of the Pandaren race any stronger.

where was your complaining when this hit

http://www.terafans.com/topic/329-race-lore-the-popori/

huh? I guess that doesnt count,,,

Plenty of people have commented that looks like crap as well, even with the fact is has more of a place in Asian style mmos.

Out of interest how does referencing races from Asian mmos mean that people are "wrong" to dislike having a panda race (or the styling of said race) in WoW?

I don't know whats worse, people getting massively butt hurt over pandas in WoW, or people getting butt hurt about people getting butt hurt about it... Actually I do know, the latter group is far worse.

Some don't like them, some don't care and some like them. C'est la vie.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Originally posted by stealthbr

Ogres have been done in other games like Everquest and they are fine. No one in their right mind will associate an ogre with Shrek because he has very little resemblance to actual ogres. Unless you want to pull off a humoristic and childish atmosphere in your game, then pandas are not fine. Their look, their general behavior, and their diet make them a rather silly addition to a serious fantasy setting. They do not look fierce, they do not act fiercely (unless provoked insistently), and they eat BAMBOOS. But hey, it's Warcraft, and silly is its middle name..

Actually, I don't even know why I'm posting in this pointless thread...

Actual Ogres? Do I even have to say anything here?

Ok, for arguments sake I will.... There are no actual Ogres. Therefore, putting an "Ogre" in a "game" has technically already added kinda a childish atmosphere as most average working adults don't really believe in nor care for ogres. While many adults play video games, its still regarded as a "childish" act or hobby by most (at least most the dicks I know..lol).

Next, "Serious Fantasy Setting" This is sort of a contradiction isn't it? ... I think the issue with people talking about the Lore and Blizzard ruining the "seriousness" of the game is that people take this shit too serious in the first place. Everyone on this site needs to remember we're playing video games. I accept it, you should too.

These are games folks, they're not really meant to be serious. They're meant to play, enjoy, relax, decompress, etc. 

................. I think it's a bit redundant to specify that I'm talking about this in a fantasy context as ogres obviously do not exist. They are fantasy creatures, and my reference was used to say that Shrek has no resemblence to how ogres IN FANTASY actually are. If you seriously were led to believe that I thought ogres existed in the real world, then that's just, well, sad...

Also, because dragons, wraiths, lichs, beholders, etc.  don't exist in the real world, when they get implemented within a game, they technically add a childish atmosphere? Rofl wow.......

Games are a form of entertainment, but because of this it does not mean that they can't be serious or based on serious settings. It is not up to you to decide how seriously someone takes a game, especially considering how narrow your perspective is. An example of a game with a serious fantasy setting: The Witcher.

{mod edit}

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

I wonder were all the uproar was for blue space goats and peace loving mad cows?

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by bossalinie

I wonder were all the uproar was for blue space goats and peace loving mad cows?

Tauren are related to Minotaur from standard fantasy.

Draenei are related to Eredar, which are related to more standard Warhammer fantasy of a demon variant. That said, there is still dislike of Draenei from groups of players.

My point is, the existing "silly" or "odd" playable races in WoW still at least have roots in standard fantasy. Panda people however, do not.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by bossalinie

Tauren are related to Minotaur from standard fantasy.

Draenei are related to Eredar, which are related to more standard Warhammer fantasy of a demon variant. That said, there is still dislike of Draenei from groups of players.

My point is, the existing "silly" or "odd" playable races in WoW still at least have roots in standard fantasy. Panda people however, do not.

Funny thing is, you change the fur color/patterns to be variants of black/brown or pure white and people wouldn't have a problem.

They'd say "oh awesome Grizzley Bear race or Kodiak or Polar bear race, sweet!"

As soon as it's Panda bear though, damn, people go nuts with rage!