Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

These guys have Sanya Weathers...Sanya Freakin Weathers!!!

unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

How could it possibly suck?  I loved Sanya from my DAOC days.  

I'm hoping Prime is the DAOC fix I've been looking for all these years.  Can't wait to give it a try.

Comments

• ApotheosApotheos Member Posts: 62

you really don't need to say more than this, they have Sanya Weathers....but they have some vets from other MMO's as well including people from WAR, SWTOR, and others.....

For the players who care about great 3 faction RvR and PvP in general, this game is for us.

Apotheos

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

didn't she leave WAR in mid-development?

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

I'm pretty sure yes.

I'm going to give this game a year sub no matter what.  I just want to encourage developers to make 3 faction PvP MMO's.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Sounds good. Me likey 3 factions

• LiftyLifty Member Posts: 6

anybody have nudes?

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

She doing feature columns here on MMORPG.com also.  Good stuff on small team development.  Judging from the lack of comments in the last one, few are reading them.

LINK

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

She doing feature columns here on MMORPG.com also.  Good stuff on small team development.  Judging from the lack of comments in the last one, few are reading them.

LINK

Upon seeing the post listed on the overview page... there was a definite Sanya who?

Quick Google pulls up her blog, linkedin, etc, etc, etc.

Which given her job title, former job title, etc, etc... I'm not sure where folks are making the connection that this game is going to be another DAoC or DAoC-like...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by VirusDancer

LINK

Upon seeing the post listed on the overview page... there was a definite Sanya who?

Which given her job title, former job title, etc, etc... I'm not sure where folks are making the connection that this game is going to be another DAoC or DAoC-like...

Well, from what I know (which isnt much) she worked on DAoC and this game will have 3 faction PvP.  Other than that I'm unsure.

Originally posted by marinrider

LINK

Well, from what I know (which isnt much) she worked on DAoC and this game will have 3 faction PvP.  Other than that I'm unsure.

She was Director of Community for Mythic, EA Mythic, and is Director of Community for Pitchblack...

Community (definitely a tough job, no doubt - one of the toughest) - but not design, not development...

That's basically where I was coming from.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by marinrider

LINK

She was Director of Community for Mythic, EA Mythic, and is Director of Community for Pitchblack...

Community (definitely a tough job, no doubt - one of the toughest) - but not design, not development...

That's basically where I was coming from.

True, while I loved Tiggs from SWG ( who I"ve also seen in other games) her role is simply our voice to devs, beyond that she has no say in what direction the game takes.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

You can like Sanya all you want... but she's a pr girl. She talks to folks but doesnt do design last I checked.

She had little if any involvement with DAOC development and most likely has very little if any here.

If anything you should be excited based on her PR persona and her player interaction, but she being on the team doesnt make a game worth a damn...for that you need good developers.

• ArawniteArawnite Member Posts: 163

Originally posted by unclemo

I'm hoping Prime is the DAOC fix I've been looking for all these years.  Can't wait to give it a try.

So what? She was just a former EQ player and gm that had an active blog, and got hired by Mythic to do PR.

Her involvement will have no bearing whatsoever on the quality of the game.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I might get some sort of wound for saying this but here goes:

Personally I don't think 3 faction PVP is all it's cracked up to be, my experience in DAOC which i played for about a year, was hardly much different than my time in SWG after it. While the three faction thing worked here and there, more often than not players worked outside of the game (cross faction) to create zergs, the end result was always the same whether it be 2 or 3 factioned,  the side with the numbers won... Then people came back with more numbers and the tide changed until one side was simply outnumbered and gave up..

People make it out that there will always be this heroic faction coming to their aid and balancing the odds, it just simply isn't so. Hell most of the time, the third faction would simply stand by waiting until numbers were low on both sides already fighting, then they'd come in and zerg the remaining players, rather than hold the keep they'd just run to safety, same crap different ball game. TBH Mordred (SP?) was a far more interesting atmosphere.

Want something even better? Build faction alliances and cross faction friends, multiple guilds working together against other cooperating guilds is far more rewarding than 3 faction PVP in and of itself.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

Personally I don't think 3 faction PVP is all it's cracked up to be, my experience in DAOC which i played for about a year, was hardly much different than my time in SWG after it. While the three faction thing worked here and there, more often than not players worked outside of the game (cross faction) to create zergs, the end result was always the same whether it be 2 or 3 factioned,  the side with the numbers won... Then people came back with more numbers and the tide changed until one side was simply outnumbered and gave up..

People make it out that there will always be this heroic faction coming to their aid and balancing the odds, it just simply isn't so. Hell most of the time, the third faction would simply stand by waiting until numbers were low on both sides already fighting, then they'd come in and zerg the remaining players, rather than hold the keep they'd just run to safety, same crap different ball game. TBH Mordred (SP?) was a far more interesting atmosphere.

Want something even better? Build faction alliances and cross faction friends, multiple guilds working together against other cooperating guilds is far more rewarding than 3 faction PVP in and of itself.

I'll take that bullet for you on this.  Er...non-life threatening bullet - er, grazing shot?  Flesh wound?  How about hole in the shirt but it does not touch me?  Gun misfires?  Heh...

I've never seen the draw of a three faction game, personally.  I prefer open factions - player factions.  No doubt you can still run into the issue of numbers... but not in the way that you can with two or three factions.

• LiftyLifty Member Posts: 6

im guessing you didnt play daoc when it was still emain macha... those were the days.

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

Only from people who would defend DAoC like it is flawless. Most DAoC players are better than that though. They know that it was a diamond of a game but it still had flaws.

Yeah. Mordred was pretty crazy though. It was basically you log in and you get ganked atmosphere most of the time, but we all loved it nevertheless.

Still, the idea of Factions is to have a Homeland Continent where you can live in PvE peace. That way you have a much less stressful life and a (debatable) higher quality game experience than on the Mordred server. With the scary RvR places outside. Personally, I wanted DAoC to have a patch or expansion one day that allowed realm invasions to come into each other's homelands, sorta like how Warhammer Online was trying to do only much cooler than that but DAoC never got it, lol.

The idea of 3 factions is also for game content too. So you can play the game 3 different times and experience new places and classes each time. In a long term investment with rewards type game that MMORPGs aspire to be, that's a huge advantage to getting people to subscribe longer. It took me 1 year to get to level 50 as an Albion Highlander Mercenary on the Kay server from the day DAoC came out and I hardly touched the Midgard and Hibernian sides very much before that. So I was very curious to play the other realms by then.

IMO the greatest game developer secret to making people subscribe longer (but only works if the game is fun and there's a reason to) is to add Spectator Mode. I played the game Infantry Online for 3+ more years (for a total of like 5+) simply because I could spectate and chat to my friends/squad and new players and pros alike long after I was bored of the game. I was even able to do hard homework related things like calculus in front of my computer with very little distraction. It was basically like watching a sport I guess. Like eSports maybe, except the players are just real people playing a real game. Something I really miss in games these days.

• ArawniteArawnite Member Posts: 163

Originally posted by Plasmicredx

Only from people who would defend DAoC like it is flawless. Most DAoC players are better than that though. They know that it was a diamond of a game but it still had flaws.

Yeah. Mordred was pretty crazy though. It was basically you log in and you get ganked atmosphere most of the time, but we all loved it nevertheless.

Still, the idea of Factions is to have a Homeland Continent where you can live in PvE peace. That way you have a much less stressful life and a (debatable) higher quality game experience than on the Mordred server. With the scary RvR places outside. Personally, I wanted DAoC to have a patch or expansion one day that allowed realm invasions to come into each other's homelands, sorta like how Warhammer Online was trying to do only much cooler than that but DAoC never got it, lol.

The idea of 3 factions is also for game content too. So you can play the game 3 different times and experience new places and classes each time. In a long term investment with rewards type game that MMORPGs aspire to be, that's a huge advantage to getting people to subscribe longer. It took me 1 year to get to level 50 as an Albion Highlander Mercenary on the Kay server from the day DAoC came out and I hardly touched the Midgard and Hibernian sides very much before that. So I was very curious to play the other realms by then.

IMO the greatest game developer secret to making people subscribe longer (but only works if the game is fun and there's a reason to) is to add Spectator Mode. I played the game Infantry Online for 3+ more years (for a total of like 5+) simply because I could spectate and chat to my friends/squad and new players and pros alike long after I was bored of the game. I was even able to do hard homework related things like calculus in front of my computer with very little distraction. It was basically like watching a sport I guess. Like eSports maybe, except the players are just real people playing a real game. Something I really miss in games these days.

I felt the same way about homeland invasions, and was extremely disapointed when they never implemented it.

I was one of the few people in early release that managed to (accidentally) do the wall-crawl glitch and fall into an enemy homeland - in my case I was a 26 Lurikeen Ranger that ended up in the Midgard leveling areas. I played around with random people out in the open areas and along the roads as I headed for Nisse's Lair, got quite a few kills and had the time of my life. It ended when I tried to zone into Nisse's and got the message "You are not the correct faction" or something similar, and I was immobilized out in the water nearby. A GM appeared shortly afterwards, and teleported me back to Hibernia. That short time in enemy territory was the most fun I'd had in the game up to that point, only surpassed by the massive wars in emain a few weeks later.

I campaigned on VN forums and sent Mythic emails for months, asking them, begging them to implement a way to invade the homelands. I suggested:

• Making the strength of the door into the homeland tied to the ownership of that realm's frontier keeps, and only allowing siege when at least one of the defending realm's frontier keeps is taken and all of the assaulting realm's keeps are held.

• Add defensive walls, keeps, and towers within the homelands, with the strength and numbers dramatically increasing at each step toward the capital city. If a realm wanted to actually raid another realm's capital, it would be a massive and long battle.

• A reward system that emulated pillaging and looting of an enemy city, such as nice item drops from NPC's and a chest near the faction leader that held a few bis weapons.

My suggestions and those of thousands of other like-minded people fell on deaf ears, they took the "easy way out" and simply made servers with FFA.

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by Arawnite

I felt the same way about homeland invasions, and was extremely disapointed when they never implemented it.

I was one of the few people in early release that managed to (accidentally) do the wall-crawl glitch and fall into an enemy homeland - in my case I was a 26 Lurikeen Ranger that ended up in the Midgard leveling areas. I played around with random people out in the open areas and along the roads as I headed for Nisse's Lair, got quite a few kills and had the time of my life. It ended when I tried to zone into Nisse's and got the message "You are not the correct faction" or something similar, and I was immobilized out in the water nearby. A GM appeared shortly afterwards, and teleported me back to Hibernia. That short time in enemy territory was the most fun I'd had in the game up to that point, only surpassed by the massive wars in emain a few weeks later.

I campaigned on VN forums and sent Mythic emails for months, asking them, begging them to implement a way to invade the homelands. I suggested:

• Making the strength of the door into the homeland tied to the ownership of that realm's frontier keeps, and only allowing siege when at least one of the defending realm's frontier keeps is taken and all of the assaulting realm's keeps are held.

• Add defensive walls, keeps, and towers within the homelands, with the strength and numbers dramatically increasing at each step toward the capital city. If a realm wanted to actually raid another realm's capital, it would be a massive and long battle.

• A reward system that emulated pillaging and looting of an enemy city, such as nice item drops from NPC's and a chest near the faction leader that held a few bis weapons.

My suggestions and those of thousands of other like-minded people fell on deaf ears, they took the "easy way out" and simply made servers with FFA.

Wow that sounds amazing. Never knew anyone could do that and never experienced seeing an enemy in any homeland realm in my 4+ years of playing DAoC.

I begged too. I thought there was invasions in the game when I bought it to begin with lol.

I've thought about adding burnable and destroyable crops and things in the homeland's farms and things. Obviously having a big war in each other's capital cities might crash the server, so I thought about just having a special castle inside the homeland somewhere that contains the treasure or the most holy relic. All of this would add to reducing that realm's economy. Also the Realm Gate would eventually respawn, and if enemies die they respawn back at their realm homeland. So it would be really hard to try again.

So it was possible to do it and players would still be happy I think.

Those DAoC GMs were funny. The only two times I ever saw one was when I was on Mordred and I went under the Albion Bridge and was killing people who come down there with me. I got frozen and moved out and told to never do it again or I would be banned. I said I was sorry and wouldn't and was let go. :P I did eventually try it months later but found out they fixed the hole lol. The other time was when I was climbing around the Camelot's Outer Walls by jumping through the roof in that one building outside the Guild of Shadows. I was just harmlessly playing around with a friend who was following me up there. I think the GM just wanted something to do so he made us stop lol. The jump through roof bug too was fixed eventually. They must have watched me play all the time or something!

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166

Community PR people are annoying, they pander to the populace, and try to be funny and cool when they are not, so whatever.

As far as 3 faction pvp, its great, but what made daoc great was the seperation of pvp and pve. For me pve is usually something a little boring, and i like to watch some tv while i do it, or chat with friends, and not have to really pay attention like you do in a pvp zone. For me nothing is worse than being attacked while im trying to PVE.

Usually the attackers are higher level and have better gear, and it just amounts to dying stupidly. I much prefer zones that are mainly for PVP, although i like the idea of having mobs in the PVP zones that are in out of the way locations that give more EXP, the way they did in DAoC.

I guess for me its really not fun or challenging to go kill people who have no ability to fight back, and its not much fun to be killed back by them when the role is reversed. Having said that, i did enjoy mordred to some degree, although i only played there for about a year, before i got completely sick of portal camping gankers.

Dominus looks like its gonna be a lot of fun. It's doesnt look like a game for people who want to have their hands held. I'm a grown man, if i wanted to have my hand held id play single player rpgs that propell me along a linear path, there is no place for that crap in an MMO imo.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Sanya? I'm in.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

She had little if any involvement with DAOC development and most likely has very little if any here.

Read the Dominus boards--that assumption would be incorrect.  I personally think Warren and the boys would be lost without her.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Arawnite

Originally posted by unclemo
    So what? She was just a former EQ player and gm that had an active blog, and got hired by Mythic to do PR.
    Her involvement will have no bearing whatsoever on the quality of the game.

I'm not entirely sure what her job is supposed to entail, but what she's been doing is confirming information from the developers based on what people have asked her. I would consider her invaluable as a source of information for what the game will be, as opposed to what people might think it's going to be.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

Worth checking out just because of Sanya.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Oh I was helping alpha test this when we were basically bugs walking around a static world. Nice to see where it's developed.

Might be too scifi for me as far as the setting goes. 

BUT if the mechanics deliver I can forego that.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

I yearn for the days of giant robots and scantily clad women.

:(

Too bad Funcom dropped the ball on Anarchy Online so hard it broke the entire SCI-FI MMO genre.