Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BF3 Multiplayer Comments

WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Well, been spending alot of time getting plastered online with BF3.  I suck to no end right now (I'm "Warmaker707" online, maybe some of you guys have my Dog Tags right now...) but will catch on.

But after tonight's session I just needed to comment about the MP, namely Teamplay compared to some of the older BF titles.

1.  Firstly, I'm happy to see that the majority of players still stick with other teammates or squadmates.  Even with the massive maps out there.  The large maps give room to maneuver and pick a fight in colorful locales.

2.  I commented about this specifically on another board.  The Teamplay is still there, but yet it isn't at the same time.  Again, players still stick together.  But the coordination between squads is non-existent.  Not as much a problem with clans that load in together, but the vast majority of the matches are with pick ups / random players.  Members of a Squad move and act together still, but the coordination between Squads is mostly gone.  I attribute that to DICE's decision to not implement the Commander role for each team.  The Commander was able to get some sort of focus of direction, coordination between the different Squads on his team.  He was still able to easily do this even with the large number of random players online.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

Comments

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

uhm.. whats BF3?

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Google's yer friend, bro image

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

To be honest, I remember most of my BF2 pub games to be like that as well. With the Cmdr trying to give orders and coordinate, and most squads ignoring or not even noticing.

Of course I found most cmdrs in that situation gave you priority for artillery requests or supply drops if you actually listened to them.

Still, they were an important role. Because even when squads didn't listen to any orders, they would still help out a ton with random supply drops in heavy combat areas, uav support, and artilleries where the uav found massive globs of the enemy teams. And can't forget just helpful sighting.

"Enemy Spotted!" over and over again, heh heh.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Yeah about the commander thing, I really like the commander role from BF2, and I remember it getting a lot of praise in reviews as well.  It's annoying they took it out.  The only thing I can think of is that they were trying to make the game "simpler" to attract more people.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• SupergrassSupergrass Member Posts: 110

I think it's a great game, but I wish there was more cooperation and maps that were correctly fitted for each game mode.

Since this game was designed for fast paced action there's really no room for teamwork. Pretty much everyone is on their own and hardly anyone wants to move as a group - people in the same vicinity != teamwork. Seriously, go join a squad and watch as people spawn on you. What do they do? They go in their own direction. You're nothing more than a closer spawn point. 

On a plus side, though, aerial vehicles are a lot of fun to use; I think they're my favorite out of the whole Battlefield series. Sure, against infantry/armor your jet is nothing more than a gnat (which I think will get buffed sooner or later), but air-to-air combat is very much like Battlefield 1942. Then with helicopters it's real exciting to fly as a pilot. It does suck that every enemy has AA, but that just means you need actual skill in maneuvering.. though the lack of gunner to pilot cooperation sucks (such as where to know the pilot is aiming at).

This is also the best infantry out of the series. It's just a shame they had to go head to head with Call of Duty and make all the maps meat grinders. Nearly all urban maps with 64 players on conquest is screwed. Oh, well.. there's still room for improvement (B2K expansion).

Currently Playing:

Nothing.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

I find this game to be a blast.

With a couple other friends to play with and use voice chat of some kind (we use skype personally), it is incredible.  Even with just one other person, you can make a difference and enjoy yourselves.

I think on consoles the voice chat will probably be utilized more, and more teamwork will generally take place.  But I play on PC and I haven't heard a single person use in-game voice chat yet which is kind of disappointing.  Still, the game itself is amazingly fun.  The progression takes time, and is based on what you actually do with the guns and vehicles instead of just automatic unlocks all the time.

May try to find a group to play with and coordinate more with.  I disagree that tactics can't be used.  I just think the problem is that nobody is really trying to use them.  We played against a group of probably 8 people who all wore the same clan tag, and we got absolutely worked.  I mean, it just wasn't fair.  They were obviously using coordination to take objectives and hold areas down.

The thing I like about the game is that even if the rest of your team is doing terrible, you can still make a difference and it is reflected in your score.  Similar to Team Fortress 2, doing certain things earns you points and those points indicate your usefulness to the team.  Someone could have 15 kills and still be at the bottom of the list if they weren't doing much else.  Spotting, suppressing, and just generally doing whatever your class is intended for will get you points.  Capping and defending objectives give you a lot of points as well, so your score is generally indicative of how much you're contributing to the team.  So even if you lose, you still gain lots of XP because of your contributions.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Sheista

*SNIP*

The thing I like about the game is that even if the rest of your team is doing terrible, you can still make a difference and it is reflected in your score.  Similar to Team Fortress 2, doing certain things earns you points and those points indicate your usefulness to the team.  Someone could have 15 kills and still be at the bottom of the list if they weren't doing much else.  Spotting, suppressing, and just generally doing whatever your class is intended for will get you points.  Capping and defending objectives give you a lot of points as well, so your score is generally indicative of how much you're contributing to the team.  So even if you lose, you still gain lots of XP because of your contributions.

My FPS reflexes are atrocious now and it reflects on my K/D scores.  Still, I get tremendous points for support actions (health, defib, resupply, repairs).  The shooty part will eventually come back to me.  I can have terrible K/D ratios but still be close to the team's leaders due to support actions.  No matter what, I can still walk away with a bunch of points.  Later on I can unlock more of the fancy doo-dads for specific weapons.