Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Does Star Wars Galaxies (SWG) Have to Die?

124»

Comments

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by Soopaman

Why does SWG have to die?

2.) CU

Right because the Game was doing so terribly during the CU...lol

The Pre CU crowd just cracks me up...

The NGE killed SWG...PERIOD! My Guild went from over 20 REAL active Players to 3 in one day...

I was there Pre and Post CU...My first Guild grew RAPIDLY AFTER the CU and became one if not the biggest Reb Guild on Flurry...It was thriving...The Game was thriving...The player base overall had little problem with the CU...The Game had it's issue no question...But what Game doesn't? 

This quote from Massively... "The catch - the thing that few people recall these years later - is that the Combat Update worked. Afterward players found engaging in combat a far more rewarding experience, and (the rumour goes) subscriptions actually rose back to at-launch levels. Perhaps even beyond."

All I know is I was there, and sure a few people did not like the CU...But 9-10 in My Guild had NO problem with it whatsoever...And they LOVED some of the stuff the CU brought with it...Legends grow over the years...And the legend that the CU had anything to do with the death of SWG is complete and total myth...In fact had they just stuck with the CU and grew the Game from there, it would have been fine...Not WOW Sub numbers by any means...But still fine...image

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

SWG is not SWG anymore its NGE SWG based on how world of warcraft was.

It had to die so all the star wars fans get together on swtor and play a different kind of SW MMO.

The success of this Star Wars MMo will determine the type of future SW mmo that comes.

Its important all star wars fans get together and play this game and let NGE SWG rest.

Last time the darkside overpowered SWG causing the NGE.

This time now that weve all recovered from the changes to SWG we can make a difference

to the outcome of waht happens with this game.

Youve seen the cinematics for this game ? The Sith Look worse than last time lol

We need all the Star Wars players together for this game :)

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by PukeBucket

Cuz LucasArts and SOE says so. I'm thinking EA might have had a word in on it.

Bandit servers will probably pop up.

Uh huh...and I bet Bioware had a say in it and Activision probably had something to do with it too right?

And Bethesda with Skyrim probably got some input. Think George had anything to say about it?

The truth is...nobody but SOE chose this. In fact, Smedley himself has stated that Lucas Arts PROBABLY would have renewed the license...but HE (he is SOE btw) didn't even bother trying.

"We have a contractual relationship that's ending in 2012... That's the problem with licenses: they end...back in 2001 when we [first] negotiated it, a five year license seemed like a really long g****** time. EverQuest was only a year or so old at that point. Could we have renegotiated? Maybe, but I don't think that would be the right thing for the company."

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by DerWotan

Some reasons.

1. typical Soe rushed game

2. destroying everything and dumbing it down with the NGE

3. EA telling LA not renewing the license cause they think their linear game will interest some of the SWG crowd.

I really hope we will see some emulated SWG preNGE servers.

[quote]

Keep dreaming. TOR is ten times the game SWG ever was and is going to be around for quite awhile.

[/quote]

Hype victim much? TOR doesn't have:

- custom stats after receiving a level up

- no real open world

- atrocius crafting

- you had to earn being a Jedi

- more races

oh yeah TOR has VO most people will turn off soon cause standing pat for minutes just to receive anotther FedEx, go kill quest just is lame.

You forgot that SWG also had a very small group of fans willing to pay for it. During the PRECioUs, CU, or NGE era.....it didnt have major appeal.

TOR will sell more copies in 3 months than SWG did during its entire run. Which is rather sad, as a ton of money was dumped into SWG also. Had Koster been more concerned with giving folks polished PVE content, and not focused the efforts on the player interaction/forced dependancies, the game probably wouldnt of been considered a buggy/content devoid POS from the time NDA dropped.

I am thankful he didnt get to ruin another SW MMO. Any MMO, let alone a SW based game, should never focus their game around the Uncle Owens. You use your development money to make the majority of subs happy. Which is why he had to leave the MMO market....his ideas are not considered "fun" to the average gamer.

Anyways it sucks for those losing their game, but lets stay away from the "we walked up hill both ways, and everything was great" SWG goggles shall we?

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• MmorpgeriusMmorpgerius Member UncommonPosts: 56

Originally posted by ktanner3

Keep dreaming. TOR is ten times the game SWG ever was and is going to be around for quite awhile.

Think SWTOR is going to be still around as p2p in 2019? I don't. 

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by Azaria

Well for one the embarrsing thing is that SWG has more features than TOR, even after NGE. TOR PVP is terrible, there is NO race selection in TOR, just a few types of human and human with tentacles on his head. Getting rid of galaxies might make people forget that all TOR is, is a graphically superior reinvensioned version of the NGE, if you didn't like the idiotic simplicity of the NGE no way your gonna like TOR, I can tell you as someone who played wow for over 3 years and a bunch of other mmorpgs, this game looks like trash. I wouldn't be suprised if it were a FTP title with a cash shop in under 6 months.

Ha, I'd love to know your logic behind that asinine statement. Please, explain how a generic, cookie-cutter, linear WoW clone in a star wars skin has anywhere even close the same amount of depth that SWG did in the old days.

Good luck with that.

• TheiskareotTheiskareot Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Because virtually no one wants to play it. Which considering the IP it has and the pull said IP has, tells you just how tragically bad the game has been for the last few years.

Which almost makes it worse.  One of the best IPs in the entire world... and you cannot get 100 people to show up in the same place and like it.

While sure it was not perfect pre-CU - it should have been fixed and not changed perse.

In the end the NGE was the failure that pushed it into the slow ending.   There was NO GOOD, that came from the NGE.   It did not go up in subs, it went down.. server shut downs helps with that fact.

So while they tried something -- it was wrong, if they had listened to the 1mill that played it then maybe they would have had a chance. 

They chose poorly.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Mainly because of SOE, OP.

Pre NGE had many good qualities/systems along with also having more than a few issues. Those issues weren't supported with effort to refine/rebuild them. Instead SOE (and LA) decided to try to change the whole game. That action caused a game that was indeed successful (having over 250K subs at one period) as far as actually making money (being in the black) instead of losing money (being in the red) to lose the majority of what subscription base it had.

Which caused LA to wash their hands of SOE and look else where to make a themepark SW game.

As said in this thread before SWG was not for your average mmo gamer. Your average mmo gamer doesn't possess the traits for which that kind of game is made. Games like WoW are what you make when you are making a cattle call game.

If another company takes certain system out of the old SWG and refines them and puts more than indie company level money into it, and most importantly supports the systems with post launch development, you will see another game like SWG that would likely gain a 200K plus subscriber base. Sure, it's not going to compete with TOR and WOW in subs, but that's not the point. The point would be to fill a profitable gap in the larger mmo pie of a mmo group of players out there that would enjoy that non average mmo gamer type gaming experience.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Because SWG never was a *great* game in any of it's forms.  Parts were excellent, and when looked at over the lifetime of the game were wonderful, but SWG never pulled itself together to be great at any one time.  SWG is best looked at as a whole, with the bad parts glossed over through selective memory.