Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Pandaren Monk Impressions

Comments

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Necromancer concepts are all over the WoW forums back when WotLK.  They were all pretty unique, but most of them had the concept of a multi-pet class with some permenant pets, with some timed.  While Warlock is probably my favorite class, they get old after almost 7 years of playing with really nothing that new.  Really Felguard was the only big change to Warlock since launch.  Multi-pet class focusing on Shadow damage, yes please :)

Warlock = Demon Hunter without blades hehe

• CanisLupusXCanisLupusX Member UncommonPosts: 14

U guys KNOW someone fooled you... As the pic taken looks like taken out of PWE's Ether Saga...

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Originally posted by Kayless

I have to admit, when I first saw news of this expansion I had to double check it wasn't an april fools day. Seriously? 

Same here.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

Where is blizzard getting these ridiculous ideas? It's no wonder so many people have quit and will continue leaving this game. This is exactly why blizzard seems desperate at the moment. For the first time, they're seeing what's it's like to see so many players leaving.

I could spend all night bringing up all the recent bad ideas since Cata but to make it short I'll just add a few. For instance: You have all these combatants, big bad warriors ( and I'm not just referring to the class) big powerful fighters, since this is what the game is about and what do you see? You many of them running around while holding on to balloons. Balloons!!! 

Talk about something being totally out of place. Balloons! Had someone told you wow players were running around holding balloons, would you of believed it? It's dumb.

Now, they're taking a Disney theme (Pandas) and pushing it into a medieval theme which is what WoW is.  A kiddie cartoonish chararcter into a war zone. 

It just doesn't make any sense. Regardless if you intend to stick around for this or not, it just doesn't make any sense in the scope of things. But then, some players never see anything wrong in what blizzard does, regardless of how bad.

Then they wonder why players have left? Come December, thousands upon hunderds of thousands and possibly millions more will leave for Starwars. After which blizzard can continue on their downward spiral.

I hear Loony Toons is willing to part with Wile E. Coyote. I bet blizzard can come up with an expansion to include him, too.

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

Emota wrote: What a joke. I can't believe people are buying into this nonsene. A Panda lol."

If blizzard sold small pieces of dry paint chips. Some people would stand in line to buy some. It's just the way it is. In their eyes blizzard can do no wrong.

Go figure.

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99

Wish blizzard would overhaul the graphics period! tweaks here and there doesn't improve the fact the engine is outdated by even last 2 generation's of hardware.

• allikoalliko Member UncommonPosts: 99

Well this month saw an end to wow for me and this announcement was the icing on the cake. Honestly thought this was some practical joke being played to get people looking at wow again in the midst of all the other gaming news... well it got us looking, but sort of cross eyed like when you wake up hung over and see what is really sleeping next to you.

Do we really need a 5th tank class? Is vanity pet turn based combat really going to increase my enjoyment of this game? Will static talent trees with less choice then ever before going to make me feel any uniqueness compared to my fellow adventurers? Will the transmog of gear really help to make a panda in clothing look any less silly? How is adding 5 more levels and less leveling zones and taking away easy flight travel going to help convince any new players to come on board? There is 0 innovation at the lower levels that will interest or keep new players going. How hard is it already to convince a friend to buy all the WOW xpacs and level in boring zones till 85+ so they can finally play the game??? And heaven forbid that they dislike raiding. Cause its a long way to go to find that little nugget out.

Currently Playing: D3-ROS
    Previously played: WoW, Tera, SWTOR, TSW, Rift, Defiance, GW2, Aion, LotRO, Rapplez, RoM, Dofus, LC, Requiem, WoKF, PW, etc
    Waiting on: Wildstar

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Compare these screenshots to Guildwars Factions (similar theme), released over 5 years ago, for a good LOL of how bad WoW's graphics are.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• NijrawNijraw Member Posts: 37

WoW has become to much of a jokester type game for me, I play MMO's for the badass factor not the Lawls or trying to be the funy guy.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by wormywyrm

Compare these screenshots to Guildwars Factions (similar theme), released over 5 years ago, for a good LOL of how bad WoW's graphics are.

Actually yes. But the real difference is how much better the art of factions were. That is worrying because Wow started with very good art.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Treekodar

Originally posted by precious328

Originally posted by TookyG

The Pandaren existed before Kung Fu Panda.  Why all this hate for that race?  If I had to guess I'd say a lot of the hate is bandwagon crap.

That has nothing to do with it.

The fact of the matter is this: If I wanted to get my mom to play, I would show her the Panda race.

Why not show her female Taurens, Goblins, Draenei or Gnomes for that matter?

Hehehehe......I love how one of the most common forms of defense regarding putting Pandas in a fantasy game is trying to point out how the other races are equallly ridiculous.  Awesome strategy there. 

And no, the other races are not really equally as ludicrous as putting teenage mutant ninja Pandas in a fantasy game with dragons, orcs, and swords.  But it seems nearly impossible to really try explaining that to some of the supporters.  So be it. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    To little to late WoW. Announce that you have removed the gear grind for fun game play and casual raid levels so you can see all content (with lower end rewards) and I would re-sub. Sick of not being able to see the entire game I am paying for.

Originally posted by Elidien

No my argument is more along the lines of Why does everyone keep with the same, tireld, old and in some cases wrong arguments. Last time I checked, this is a discussion forum and as such, the purpose is to discuss games. I am all for well thought-out and constructive posts even if I disagree with them or do not like them. 

No, what I am talking about are the multiple threads and hundreds of posts that reference pointless arguments at best and downright wrong information at worst. For example, the- this is something Blizzard came up with recently to cater to the Asian market or to stop the bleeding-argument. Pandarens are the #1 requested addition to the game from the playerbase and have been considered since the BC expansion. The argument is invalid no matter how you structure it.

Most people who are so upset/angered/shocked/full of hate or whatever it is have already decided to leave WOW and will not return. Their minds are already made up and Pandarens have little or no impact on that decision. Its just another opportunity for them to take a dig at WOW and often times with invalid or pointless arguments. In other words, what people ahve come to expect from WOW haters on this website on a regular basis.

Take a look at Youtube and the likes and dislikes of WoW's past expansion trailers.  Here, I'll post links.  Remember to look at the LIKES and DISLIKES of each video. 

Burning Crusades trailers : 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp5XsILypYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAcRW--q-fk

Wrath of the Lich King Trailers :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCr7y4SLhck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jor98Ty0ggw

Cataclysm trailers : 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq4Y7ztznKc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llMIDqFbsnE

And finally  Mists of Pandaria Trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyeZ8khSEC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRQhsQBdRJA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN_f8gKOiVU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5_S5vFQEBM

Now you may have noticed something.  Mists of Pandaria trailers are not geting the LIKE votes that past wow trailers have.  You say most people who are complaining or dont like are already jaded and leaving WoW anyways.  Thats a classic defense argument Ive heard a thousand times before for numerous games.  But it doesnt fly. 

I have no doubt someone might even respond with, " Its Youtube!  Who cares! " .  Have it your way, but right there you can see a problem.  When every other WoW expansion trailer on Youtube got mostly all "LIKES" and this Pandaria trailer is getting all 50% likes and about 50% dislikes thats new entirely. 

This is not common.  Usually expansion trailer for WoW are 90% LIKED if not even more so.  These Pandaria trailers however have 50% of people liking them and 50% disliking them.  Thats new.  And something to consider.  Not a good sign at all in my opinion. 

Now Im sure some of you will desperately try to defend this even still by saying all sorts of ludicrous things about Youtube, or how its hardly reliable, or this or that.  But the facts are there.  And they dont look good for the time being. 

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Corehaven

No my argument is more along the lines of Why does everyone keep with the same, tireld, old and in some cases wrong arguments. Last time I checked, this is a discussion forum and as such, the purpose is to discuss games. I am all for well thought-out and constructive posts even if I disagree with them or do not like them. 

No, what I am talking about are the multiple threads and hundreds of posts that reference pointless arguments at best and downright wrong information at worst. For example, the- this is something Blizzard came up with recently to cater to the Asian market or to stop the bleeding-argument. Pandarens are the #1 requested addition to the game from the playerbase and have been considered since the BC expansion. The argument is invalid no matter how you structure it.

Most people who are so upset/angered/shocked/full of hate or whatever it is have already decided to leave WOW and will not return. Their minds are already made up and Pandarens have little or no impact on that decision. Its just another opportunity for them to take a dig at WOW and often times with invalid or pointless arguments. In other words, what people ahve come to expect from WOW haters on this website on a regular basis.

Take a look at Youtube and the likes and dislikes of WoW's past expansion trailers.  Here, I'll post links.  Remember to look at the LIKES and DISLIKES of each video. 

Burning Crusades trailers : 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp5XsILypYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAcRW--q-fk

Wrath of the Lich King Trailers :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCr7y4SLhck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jor98Ty0ggw

Cataclysm trailers : 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq4Y7ztznKc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llMIDqFbsnE

And finally  Mists of Pandaria Trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyeZ8khSEC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRQhsQBdRJA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN_f8gKOiVU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5_S5vFQEBM

Now you may have noticed something.  Mists of Pandaria trailers are not geting the LIKE votes that past wow trailers have.  You say most people who are complaining or dont like are already jaded and leaving WoW anyways.  Thats a classic defense argument Ive heard a thousand times before for numerous games.  But it doesnt fly. 

I have no doubt someone might even respond with, " Its Youtube!  Who cares! " .  Have it your way, but right there you can see a problem.  When every other WoW expansion trailer on Youtube got mostly all "LIKES" and this Pandaria trailer is getting all 50% likes and about 50% dislikes thats new entirely. 

This is not common.  Usually expansion trailer for WoW are 90% LIKED if not even more so.  These Pandaria trailers however have 50% of people liking them and 50% disliking them.  Thats new.  And something to consider.  Not a good sign at all in my opinion. 

Now Im sure some of you will desperately try to defend this even still by saying all sorts of ludicrous things about Youtube, or how its hardly reliable, or this or that.  But the facts are there.  And they dont look good for the time being. 

This whole Youtube thing is pretty damn funny, there is a thread just like this on another site. and well... if you do look at likes MoP has a heck of a lot, as well as a heck of a lot of Dislikes It has more likes than all the other ones except for Cata which has an absurdly high amount, though some are arguing its only because so many people are now doing that because of the MoP announcement for lawls...

This whole youtube arguement proves nothing more than the WoW reach has extended over the years. Far more people are watching the videos, many of which probably don't even care one way or the next. Cataclysm was nothing special, all it had was a BA antagonist, and a BA name.

As far as adding to the game, from a level 80 pov, it offered 5 new zones and then dungeon/raid grinding, it was total crap. redoing the old world was good in theory but in pracitce it turned out to be nothing special at all, specially cause we all just flew over all the new stuff.

MoP seems kinda silly, but it is shaping up to be a great contribution to WoW, and MMOs...

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

i am now currently visualizing million of tiny, baby birds, recently born, chirping insessently for chewed up slime to be puked down their throats. 

enjoy the new expac everyone. i cant wait to see the next one.

Originally posted by XiThRyL

This whole Youtube thing is pretty damn funny, there is a thread just like this on another site. and well... if you do look at likes MoP has a heck of a lot, as well as a heck of a lot of Dislikes It has more likes than all the other ones except for Cata which has an absurdly high amount, though some are arguing its only because so many people are now doing that because of the MoP announcement for lawls...

This whole youtube arguement proves nothing more than the WoW reach has extended over the years. Far more people are watching the videos, many of which probably don't even care one way or the next. Cataclysm was nothing special, all it had was a BA antagonist, and a BA name.

As far as adding to the game, from a level 80 pov, it offered 5 new zones and then dungeon/raid grinding, it was total crap. redoing the old world was good in theory but in pracitce it turned out to be nothing special at all, specially cause we all just flew over all the new stuff.

MoP seems kinda silly, but it is shaping up to be a great contribution to WoW, and MMOs...

This is exactly the type of response I expected.  Which is funny in itself really. 

You're suggesting that people are now suddenly watching more WoW trailers than before?  Has it gained in popularity recently?  Is it more well known now than last year, or the year before that? 

Thats absurd.  People have been watching and liking WoW trailers for YEARS.  Theres not a sudden new interest in the game.  Everyone knows about WoW.  Even people who dont play games. 

The reason you may see more views on some of those Panda trailers is because with the others, countless versions have been put out and the viewing is spread out over the course of them.  The fact of the matter is most people that saw past trailers liked them.  Now the opinion on these panda trailers is split in half. 

Thats a good try at trying to discredit the likes and dislikes of Youtube but it doesnt fly.  There's just as many people interested in WoW now as there was four years ago if not less.  Cata was not that long ago either.  And it didnt get this kind of treatment on Youtube so go figure. 

Its a valid point.  Whether you like it or not.  No amount of trying to polish it over is going to help matters either.  Its pretty apparent the community is split in half over liking and disliking the looks of this expansion. 

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

You're right in that this is a discussion forum, and people are discussing the expansion. A lot of people just happen to dislike the direction of said expansion. And sure a lot of it isn't necessarily well thought out or constructive, but it is opinion based.

For example, I think that Pandaren are childish and make the Warcraft lore look like even more of a joke, particularly when they're the spotlight of an expansion. Do I have to explain concisely why? Not at all. Even though I could get into a huge pointless reasoning of what makes something childish and silly, it doesn't really matter because the acceptable "childishness" of the concept is relative in the eye of the beholder.

It doesn't particularly matter why I or others could accept or tolerate a race such as Tauren as being playable race, but dislike Pandaren. It's opinion, and we're within our rights to feel that way, and to discuss our opinion.

As per Pandaren being the number one requested addition to WoW...

Where are you getting this little gem of a statistic from? I could just as equally claim that adding My Little Ponies as a playable race was the number one requested addition to WoW, but without any actual proof it's just anecdotal. If anything, the Emerald Dream and Demonic Worlds seemed to be far more requested of content to be added to WoW, but hey that's just anecdotal evidence from myself as well.

That's pure conjecture, you have no proof of that aside from your belief. Besides, it doesn't even matter if they've decided to leave WoW and not come back, this is a discussion forum for MMO gamers, and WoW is an MMO. If you don't want to take the negative views with the positive, then don't participate in an open discussion forum.

And just to debunk your claim, I quit WoW not long after Cataclysm, but like with other previous times that I had taken a break from WoW, I never completely wrote the game off, I had always returned for expansions. The announcement of this latest expansion however, prompted the opposite reaction from me, like oil to water, and as such I won't be returning to the game explicitly because the next expansion looks terrible to me. And yes, Pandaren are a good portion as to why I won't be returning for the next expansion, among several other reasons, some to do with the expansion, some to do with the state of the game in general.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Khm .... "Starting Quests of Pandaria

Honestly there is nothing truly unique here. The quests do have a very martial artist's path to self improvement vibe. But at the end of the day, it was more of the same questing. Kill X amount of this mob or collect Y amount of this resource.  That being said, ..." that being said this is EXACTLY what questing is about, go there, kill that, this, ... use object, .... etc etc.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

This is exactly the type of response I expected.  Which is funny in itself really. 

You're suggesting that people are now suddenly watching more WoW trailers than before?  Has it gained in popularity recently?  Is it more well known now than last year, or the year before that? 

Thats absurd.  People have been watching and liking WoW trailers for YEARS.  Theres not a sudden new interest in the game.  Everyone knows about WoW.  Even people who dont play games. 

The reason you may see more views on some of those Panda trailers is because with the others, countless versions have been put out and the viewing is spread out over the course of them.  The fact of the matter is most people that saw past trailers liked them.  Now the opinion on these panda trailers is split in half. 

Thats a good try at trying to discredit the likes and dislikes of Youtube but it doesnt fly.  There's just as many people interested in WoW now as there was four years ago if not less.  Cata was not that long ago either.  And it didnt get this kind of treatment on Youtube so go figure. 

Its a valid point.  Whether you like it or not.  No amount of trying to polish it over is going to help matters either.  Its pretty apparent the community is split in half over liking and disliking the looks of this expansion. 

Then how come the wrath/bc trailers in total have less than 1/2 the votes of MoP? Because Less people are watching / voting now ?_?

The difference is since Cata, wowhating is a fulltime job for a lot of people.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• dpcollier128dpcollier128 Member Posts: 38

I knew the monk was coming as a new class -- it made a ton of sense -- almost since the speculation that came from the current expansion's first announcements (you know the one I mean)... but now it's just too little, too late.

I've moved on. I'll see what they do with this, but right now, coming back to the game is on the bottom of my priorities. I'd rather shell out another sub to try TOR -- and possibly become dissapointed -- than give this game yet another dissapointing try.

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." -_-

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

When I 1st seen the Panda's I thought "What a load of pants". After seeing some of the game play they look pretty cool. You would never think by looking, this game is almost 9 years old.

Altho I don't play anymore I still think it's the only game worth subbin to.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by mbd1968

I learnt a while back never to say never so I won't... but I dobt I will be rushing out to buy this expac... again it look like more of the same. Blizzard need to switch focus to its new MMO and leave WoW alone.

Luckily for me I quit during wrath. A friend got cataclysm and told me I "had" to play.  Since he payed for the xpac and a months sub I played that 30 days. In that 30 days I had 3 level 85 (who where all in lvl 80 quest gear to start) and got a goblin mage to 78. Really wish my friend hadnt wasted his money. He wont do it this expansion lol. I refuse to support WoW after they added a cash shop.  So while a Kung Fu Panda does sounds kinda fun.....I wont be playing. Besides, I told the MMO Gods that they MUST give me a beta key to GW2 once it starts :)

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by azmundai

Then how come the wrath/bc trailers in total have less than 1/2 the votes of MoP? Because Less people are watching / voting now ?_?

The difference is since Cata, wowhating is a fulltime job for a lot of people.

Wowhating has been a fulltime job since wrath. Ever think the dislikes could just be people dont really like the looks of it? Regardless of the total number of votes (which btw it is still fairly new, not everyone watches or votes on it right away) the only logic is less people like the looks of this one. I watch a ton of trailers on youtube of games I dont play. If I like the trailer I like it if I dont, I dislike it. I have liked every trailer Blizzard has put out on wow untill now. I disliked it because I DIDNT LIKE IT. Not because I am a "wowhater".

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

I'm quite tempted. I had a character at level 65 ish I think and then I quit. It has been a year or two. I loged in few months ago but I could not stand the graphics. I got core i7 and GTX 480, but the graphics were not good. This new area seems pretty good and so do the graphics.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Can you maybe post more screen shots. And more details on graphics would be nice.