Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW has never been about comical relief.

124»

Comments

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Corehaven

Originally posted by Deivos

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Yet no one had an issue with playing a cow or goat or werewolf.  

And I quote another thread...

Cows look exactly like Minotaurs.  Minotaurs go back a long way and are darn cool. 

The Dranei dont really look like goats.  They do have hooves and horns but they are artistically done and look more humanoid than anything else. 

Worgen are what they are.  They were in the game as an enemy mob for some time, and I figure you could even put vampires in WoW and people wouldnt mind too terribly. 

But yes, I think for some people,  Pandas carrying swords around crosses the line.  Even in fantasy there are boundaries you dont cross.  Things that will make your IP cheesy.  Purple ponies with hearts on their rears.   Rainbows that rain down gum drops.  Walking talking Pandas.  There's things that fit and things that dont in a fantasy sword and shield setting.  And you can use a LOT of imagination there.   But walking talking Pandas starts to drip into the cheese zone. 

Imagine sitting around with some friends and playing D&D.  Joe wants to be a Human Cleric, Sally wants to be an elf sorceress, and Billy wants to be an orc warrior.  When it comes time for your turn, you wanna be a PANDA!  They sit around staring for a second before laughing.  They ask you to be serious.  You get offended and want to BE A PANDA!  You are not asked to return to the Monday night  D&D sessions anymore. 

Draw the line? i guess people draw line when they personally dislike something. I have no idea how playing a goat is any more silly then playing a panda.  You think Dranei are artistically done and i just 'groaned' when i first saw them. So i guess its a matter of taste but in no way your taste should try to overshadow taste of of others in manner where you announce 'hey now it is time to draw the line because i personally dislike Pandas but  hey i enjoyed playing a goat'. Who will set these boundaries by the way? considering everyone has different taste when it comes to MMOS.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by generals3

Originally posted by Kalfer

Originally posted by Kalfer

fact = pandas are so awesome that they are not even in the spectrum of colors. They are beyond that.

Now you're trying too hard. Fact =/= opinion.

That goes without saying... It's 2011. We don't need to say "in my opinion" anymore. It's commonly understood that everything is opinion. It's one of the foundations of having a discussion, and it goes without saying. Welcome to the forum, friend:)

Also, what do you have against pandas?:( they are strong, they eat bamboo, national animal of china, pretty interesting fighting style in Tekken 3. I mean.. what more do you want from an animal?

Well what i have against them? Nothing.

But that doesn't mean i want them in an MMORPG.

I don't have anything against ducks but i don't walking ducks to become a playable race.

Whether they are strong or not irl is quite irrelevant imho. All i know is that they look ridiculous in MoP. You know i didn't start hating the concept of the pandaren until i actually saw the trailer (and i knew they were going to be implemented before as a friend told me first).

Pandaren could have been acceptable, but when you decide to go full ludicrous with the art for it... Ye no, not my cup of tea.

Oh and ironically the pandaren in WC3 actually looked more fearsome and badass than the ones in MoP , they litterally decided to make them look more like kungfu panda than their predecessors. Well fine if you like it, but i don't.

Oh and call me old fashioned but when someone says "fact..." i expect a fact. If it's your opinion don't emphasise the fact it's a fact because that  makes no sense. But than again , i'm one of those who still tries to emphasise when something is an opinion by stating it.

Funny that you would mention ducks. Humanoid ducks were one of the most popular race of one of the old school P&P Role playing game, Runequest and their incredible fantasy world of Glorantha (still available in a new version, btw). They were not funny. At all.

I see your point about how you make them, but honestly, all the concept art I have seen of Pandares is not funny but quire serious. It is true the videos show they also have a funnier side, but then noticed one thing? We have seen just Pandarens monks for the most part, sporting tunics and leather armor tops.

We have yet to seen them using weapons and wearing heavy armor, why is that? Prolly because they are not finished yet.

I for one look forward to have some Asian inspired weaponry and armor sets in WoW. Yes, we have had katana-like swords here and there, but never a whole continent dedicated to Asia. Now the Pandarens looks more Chinese than Japanese, but here is to hope that you get some samurai and ninja looking tier armors in the next expansion :)

It would offer a nice counterpoint to the latest tier, that is all made of rock, fire and very very encasing looking, while Asian inspired armor would be much more lighter and so on.

Pandaria looks much more colorful than other areas, sure, but it also seems filled with all kind of Asian-themed nasties, so my hope is that it will be quite nice.

Any light hearted the Pandaren can bring will also be countered by a focus on the war between Alliance and Horde. It actually makes a lot of sense for them to use a neutral area for the fighting, it is a tactic that has been used for centuries in our own world cause everyone knows a war on your own soil will cause a lot of destruction and you clearly do not want that, but fight on neutral ground and hey.. whatever destruction you cause is somebody else problem.

We haven't seen much of that, yes, but I guess we will in the future.

As for Pandarens being more ridicolous than Taurens (the MALES might look like minotaurs, but the females surely don't), gnomes, goblins or draenei... I cannot find much to justify that and I know I cannot change your mind so.,... to me they look a jovial and happy race, as it goes with their lore that all their bad emotions become the Sha, but not ridicolous.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

Pandas carrying swords around crosses the line.  Even in fantasy there are boundaries you dont cross. 

According to you. Not according to Blizzard or all the fans that have been requesting Pandaren for years. WoW is over-the-top insane fantasy, and I absolutely love that about it. Other games are dreary and boring when I compare them to WoW.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Imagine sitting around with some friends and playing D&D.  Joe wants to be a Human Cleric, Sally wants to be an elf sorceress, and Billy wants to be an orc warrior.  When it comes time for your turn, you wanna be a PANDA!  They sit around staring for a second before laughing.  They ask you to be serious.  You get offended and want to BE A PANDA!  You are not asked to return to the Monday night  D&D sessions anymore. 

Wait... what if you said ...

"I wanna be a bipedal cow"

Do they laugh less, laugh harder or just point to the door?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Velerak

I can't remember seeing Pandas in any of the original warcraft games.. correct me if i'm wrong of course.  Also, as for never being comic relief?  Maybe i'm odd but I used to laugh a lot playing the warcraft series, and then I laughed when I saw world of warcraft and never took it as a serious game.

WC3. the tavern had heroes any race could pick. one of the heros was a Panda. his lvl 6 ulti was spliting off into different, smaller pandas, each representing an element.

/corrected

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Nadia

i could avoid the goblin starting zone, tell me how i will be able to avoid every single walking panda out there?

valid point

in EQ / EQ2 races were all over the place w different beast men

but Panda's go beyond beastmen concept because of the asian inspired wardrobe

in BC you had Blizzard throwing Draenei at players -- a race from outer space

but they were less silly looking

people throw in the 'asian influence' as if it's a bad thing.

and so many people here seem to not realize that the Draenei were also in WC3. but they were the 'broken'. the Draenie that crashes on Azeroth are those that escaped, as their race began to lose it's purity to demonic influence, the same that corrupted the orcs. 

• VelerakVelerak Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Zairu

Originally posted by Velerak

I can't remember seeing Pandas in any of the original warcraft games.. correct me if i'm wrong of course.  Also, as for never being comic relief?  Maybe i'm odd but I used to laugh a lot playing the warcraft series, and then I laughed when I saw world of warcraft and never took it as a serious game.

WC3. the tavern had heroes any race could pick. one of the heros was a Panda. his lvl 6 ulti was spliting off into different, smaller pandas, each representing an element.

/corrected

You're too late, I already stood corrected and the last person was more polite :P

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

Originally posted by Loke666

I think maybe making pandas as a playable race is kind of a bad idea yea.  They made their own April Fools joke into an expansion.  There's something kind of weird about that. 

Id like to kind of enlighten them that they dont really have to add a new race with every expansion.  They have plenty at this point and really it kind of seemed they might have been grasping at straws an expansion or two ago anyways.  I think players would be happy enough to buy an expansion with no new added race.  Add a few classes instead.  Sure they added one but they could have done more.  Or even less. 

And a pokemon game?  That too huh.  They're kind of copying pokemon and putting that in WoW.  Look, Im not insisting that anyone agree with me, but at this point I see them almost tapped out creatively as far as WoW goes.  Its like they are desperate.  Make an expansion based on a race from an April Fools joke that THEY ran,  put their own spin on Pokemon, and slap in a class thats already been in lots of other mmos.  Seems very strange to me. 

The pokemon thing is probably meant as the comic relief thing, they always have one. But in this case I don't think it is needed.

Yeah, I agree. Kaplan and most of his team are gone since long and you can't replace someone like him. Blizzard were lucky enough that they could replace Strain with Kaplan in the first place. 

I wont count out Wow for good because of this, but I think this is a huge misstake.

If I remember right, u are a fun of guild wars 1? U know they have add a pokemon-like game in guild wars years ago? Polymock.

They have plans to add an improved version of polimock in gw2 .

• RobgmurRobgmur Member Posts: 322

I'm honestly surprised they didn't have the panda for a selectable race a long time ago. They did however pick a strange time frame to introduce them. They should have definitely made them anything but 'Monk" melee specific classes, that's just a slap in the face(due to popular belief). It would of made more sense if they were more healer/shaman-spiritual based. It's anatomically incorrect and insulting to see a panda do big back-spinning kicks or karate moves unless of course it's in kung fu panda.. lol.. Blizzard had to of known this whiplash was coming, but oh well.. it really doesn't change anything.

*Corsair Obsidian Series 650D *i5-2500K OC'd ~ 4.5
    *Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mother board
    * Radeon HD 7970
    *8GB (4GBx2) 1600MHz Kingston HyperX
    *240GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III SSD

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Originally posted by Volkmar

Funny that you would mention ducks. Humanoid ducks were one of the most popular race of one of the old school P&P Role playing game, Runequest and their incredible fantasy world of Glorantha (still available in a new version, btw). They were not funny. At all.

Well i guess it depends on how you implement them but the pictures going through my mind thinking about giant ducks weren't all that serious at all ^^

I see your point about how you make them, but honestly, all the concept art I have seen of Pandares is not funny but quire serious. It is true the videos show they also have a funnier side, but then noticed one thing? We have seen just Pandarens monks for the most part, sporting tunics and leather armor tops.

Concept arts often look nothing like the ingame arts. Heck if i had to judge the art by concepts 99% of the games around would have awesome arts. Yes the concept arts don't look that bad at all. But when playing it's not those drawings i will see. I will see that silliness i saw in the trailer.

We have yet to seen them using weapons and wearing heavy armor, why is that? Prolly because they are not finished yet.

Well a gnome is silly, gnome wearing armor is still silly. So i honestly doubt it will be any different with pandas. Unless they suddenly lose a lot of weight and their faces.

I for one look forward to have some Asian inspired weaponry and armor sets in WoW. Yes, we have had katana-like swords here and there, but never a whole continent dedicated to Asia. Now the Pandarens looks more Chinese than Japanese, but here is to hope that you get some samurai and ninja looking tier armors in the next expansion :)

Meh i'm not keen at all of asian themed sets in WoW. just doesn't seem to fit at all. I don't mind an asian themed continent but the thought of an asian themed set on my dk isn't appealing at all. Now off course this is entirely personal and i can totally understand how someone would actually like it.

It would offer a nice counterpoint to the latest tier, that is all made of rock, fire and very very encasing looking, while Asian inspired armor would be much more lighter and so on.

Pandaria looks much more colorful than other areas, sure, but it also seems filled with all kind of Asian-themed nasties, so my hope is that it will be quite nice.

Any light hearted the Pandaren can bring will also be countered by a focus on the war between Alliance and Horde. It actually makes a lot of sense for them to use a neutral area for the fighting, it is a tactic that has been used for centuries in our own world cause everyone knows a war on your own soil will cause a lot of destruction and you clearly do not want that, but fight on neutral ground and hey.. whatever destruction you cause is somebody else problem.

Meh tbh Cata was supposed to put more focus on the ally vs horde war as well. See how that went. And tbh for every thing they do to get people to world pvp (no flying until lvl 90 & world bosses) they do two that will keep people in the city walls (pokemon fights, instanced pve scens and challenge mode)

We haven't seen much of that, yes, but I guess we will in the future.

As for Pandarens being more ridicolous than Taurens (the MALES might look like minotaurs, but the females surely don't), gnomes, goblins or draenei... I cannot find much to justify that and I know I cannot change your mind so.,... to me they look a jovial and happy race, as it goes with their lore that all their bad emotions become the Sha, but not ridicolous.

Well i would agree that gnomes look extremely ridiculous... though no, not all, mainly the males did. But the great thing is that they didn't stand out that much. (let's be honest, when you're running in a city crowded with tall draenei, humans and elves those couple of little gnomes won't stand out, a big fat panda however... hard to miss that one ;))

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

WOW has always been rife with tongue in cheek references and I can't think of a MMO that really took itself less seriously than WOW over the years.

Not sure OP and I played the same game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShobShob Member Posts: 21

Dwarves, gnomes and goblins were all joke races in Warcraft 2. They weren`t very effective units. There were mostly there for comical relief. I mean for example Dwarven Demolition Team were two drunk dwarves runing around with bombs on their backs a doing kamikadze missions.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Undoubtedly someone might say, " What you mean a minotaur ? " to which the response would likely be "yes". 

Which at that point a discussion would start.  Some might actually like the idea.  Some might hate it.  But I think a good group sitting around together or a good DM might actually let that in.  After all, if you are all running a dungeon, and theres a player stalking you as a minotaur that would be pretty sweet actually. 

Being stalked by a sword swinging panda however......ummmm........thats a little wild.  I guess if you were all on some sort of....ahem....substance it might go over in a comical way.  

Regardless of whatever you guys say there is a lot of WoW hate going on right now, due to the game including talking walking Panda bears.  Now you might not care, or you might even be excited for it (for whatever reason), but if you absolutely cant understand why people would think including Pandas in a fantasy game who know Kung Fu would seem lame or cheesy to some, you're just in absolute denial and I cant help you. 

I didnt say you had to feel that way yourself, but if thats not understandable to you, Im not sure anyone can help you.  To me its absolutely understandable.  I can see why so many people are throwing a fuss.  You'll never see that type of thing in Lord of the Rings.  You'll never see it in D&D.  You'll never see it in GW2.  Or just about any fantasy game that takes itself even half seriously.  And a lot of people did take WoW fantasy at least half serious.  Its going to be VERY hard to do that for many people once level 30 panda bears are running through Goldshire. 

I mean as I said some of you dont have to feel that way, but understanding it shouldnt be hard at all. 

• NijrawNijraw Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by sayuri2006

There will be people that disagree but my whole take on this "panda" thing is that people are coming in defense and saying that the "panda" race has existed in WoW lore and have been part of WoW history. Where? I have never seen actually in game any references to the Pandaren race; no NPCs, no traders, no martial art references, no quests, not even any lands that have a trace of Pandaren influence. Abit like the Draenai, they will suddenly just pop out of the sky so to speak but the difference is, and this is what people don't get, they will be the main focus of the future of WoW. Why? Draenai have integrated but have never been the outright focus, and people saying that purple spacegoats look as funny as pandas is just laughable.

WoW has never been about comical relief.  Sure there are gnomes, references to Paris Hilton, motorbikes etc but gnomes were here from the start and I'm sorry to say the Pandaren race does look more like a comical relief than something even slightly fightable. I certainly wouldn't want to fight any, more like share a cup of tea with. They are cute bottom line. Blizzard say they are swaying away from the dark and gloomy environment, but this is going abit over the top. What, so all our struggles against Rag, illidan, Lich King, Deathwing and now we get to chill out with a bunch a fat smiling pandas while they are supposed to teach us the fate of ourselves and Azeroth? What kind of future is that? No thank-you, we survived some serious business before, we don't need to turn our fights and struggles in the past into something comical.

They are now lol, Welcome World of Cutecuddlybunchesofhappiness

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Undoubtedly someone might say, " What you mean a minotaur ? " to which the response would likely be "yes". 

Which at that point a discussion would start.  Some might actually like the idea.  Some might hate it.  But I think a good group sitting around together or a good DM might actually let that in.  After all, if you are all running a dungeon, and theres a player stalking you as a minotaur that would be pretty sweet actually. 

Being stalked by a sword swinging panda however......ummmm........thats a little wild.  I guess if you were all on some sort of....ahem....substance it might go over in a comical way.  

Regardless of whatever you guys say there is a lot of WoW hate going on right now, due to the game including talking walking Panda bears.  Now you might not care, or you might even be excited for it (for whatever reason), but if you absolutely cant understand why people would think including Pandas in a fantasy game who know Kung Fu would seem lame or cheesy to some, you're just in absolute denial and I cant help you. 

I didnt say you had to feel that way yourself, but if thats not understandable to you, Im not sure anyone can help you.  To me its absolutely understandable.  I can see why so many people are throwing a fuss.  You'll never see that type of thing in Lord of the Rings.  You'll never see it in D&D.  You'll never see it in GW2.  Or just about any fantasy game that takes itself even half seriously.  And a lot of people did take WoW fantasy at least half serious.  Its going to be VERY hard to do that for many people once level 30 panda bears are running through Goldshire. 

I mean as I said some of you dont have to feel that way, but understanding it shouldnt be hard at all. 

Glorantha duvk

You were saying? Not part of Fantasy? Do you know what that up there is? Hint: it comes from a very well known and well loved Fantasy World called Glorantha.

Yes it is a duck, something as ridicolous, if not more, than a humanoid panda.

And you can be sure they are quite serious as it can be noticed by the picture. Glorantha Ducks are bad as, they also look like Donald Duck, yeppers.

So yeah, understanding it is quite hard. Just because there was a funny movie about pandas does not make humanoid pandas comical or ridicolous in a FANTASY world. There were 3 funny movies about an Ogre too (or was Schrek a troll?)... you got my point yes?

As for your GM, he is quite bad at his job if he downright refuse a character just because of what it look like.

Insinuating that everyone that likes Pandarens or humanoid-pandas is on drugs is instead downright insulting. So please stop it. Fantasy worlds are full of animal-people. Wolfmen, tigermen, lizardmen, bearmen.... so NO, I do not see why a pandaman, a type of bearman would be so downright ridicolous

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"