Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think Blizzard just handed it to StarWars TOR on a plate .

OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

I've always thought StarWars was going to be successful but the degree of success was always in question . The elephant in the room was always what Blizzard were going to do to combat the potential competition from TOR . With the annoucement of the Kung Fu Panda expanion yesterday which seams extremly weak in concept I think Blizzard have given it to TOR on a plate . If the game is as polished and fun as early reviews make it out to be the potential exodus from WoW to StarWars could now be on a epic scale . There must be howls of delight and relief in the Bioware offices at the huge miss step by Blizzard just as they are about to release TOR .

An early Christmas present indeed .

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

This is just the first round.  If I remember correctly the Deathwing grand-finale raids for Cata start December.  The die-hard raiders won't budge if that happens.  However, overall I agree.  I was expecting something far more serious from WoW than one race and a couple zones, especially pandas.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Loads of players have wanted Pandarens to be playable since vanilla. I suspect this will be a positive thing for the game overall.

• ManJunkManJunk Member Posts: 273

Yes... because more content, a new playable race, and a raised level cap will certainly cause a mass exodus.  This is only because the wow playerbase won't appreciate any of these new additions.  *sarcasm off*

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

I'd disagree. Even tho personally i do not care for MoP, and am not subscribed to WoW for quite a while now, they did the best they could. First thing first - for the majority of players that still play WoW the MoP will be great. They haven't really made the game for any mystical "hardcore" crowd for years, and they aren't now either, it's clearly aimed at their current player-type. 

Second thing, the deal with free D3 for 12 months of subscription will keep some people subscribed to WoWrather than moving fully to other MMO, simply because that way they get a game for playing a game, so why not? 

All the features in MoP look great for those that look for that kind of gameplay, even more streamlined talent system, pet battles, PvE scenarios, MOBA styled PvP (payload, dota, murderball PvP modes),  it all will keep WoW going despite ToR. People who were tired/bored of WoW made their decission long time ago already, and either left it by now or already pre ordered ToR so it changes nothing for them. The rest will stick around unless ToR really makes an impact. 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Pretty much this expansion screams "Casual hardcore!" If thats even a word, I'll make it one. 

Casual hardcore: A game that is so intuned to casual players, its considered an extreme and his unforigen to dedicated or traditional hardcore players.

As for giving it to SWTOR... sorry, not going to happen. Plenty of other games out there. If anything, the expansion just makes it a little less 'bad' on the game. Over-all, SWTOR I feel will have to struggle to prove itself being a game. Not only will it have to get over the hurdle that its a 'generic' style game in terms of combat (given they don't massively change things), but they will also get over the hurdle that MMo players will skim over or completely skip story for gameplay

If they manage to get players interested into the story elements bioware is well known for, then I'd say this 'expansion' could do well in boosting SWTOR's likely playerbase. While I'm doubting ToR will be good in terms of how it plays out (though I WILL try it out, just not buying it and only playing free trial when it comes out), if there is one thing I'm hopeful for, its that this game manages to find a way to make story a more focused aspect of an MMO, and if possible it can actually make it feel like a multiplayer game with it, rather then a single player 'online' experience. While I have my doubts, as a game enthusiest and one who plans to get involved in the industry sometime, i can't help but also cheer and hope for the best with this game while being very iffy on actually playing it myself. :)

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

Originally posted by nerovipus32

(mod edit)

Aaaaaand, a lot of folks will be thinking the same thing when they try SW:TOR.

There won't be any mass exodus from WoW to SW:TOR like so many of you think. Not everyone is a Star Wars fan, and not everyone enjoys the sci-fi setting.

People still playing WoW are comfortable there; they feel safe; they feel secure.

If I had to put money on it, I'd bet a good majority of those still playing WoW are going to hang around until Titan.

Blizzard has a massive built-in fanbase. They will play just about anything Blizzard shovels out to them.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I was looking forward to playing Pandarans as I liked the race/class from WC3, but it does make WoW look even more childish, and the pet battles dont help.

I think what we are seeing in the negative reactions is the fact that many older WoW players are simply growing out of the game, the infamous 10 yr old WoWers are not 10 anymore.

Bundling D3 with a years sub strikes me as desperate, I suspect Blizz see a possible chain-reaction of cancelled subs, as those keen for the new mmos of 2012 leave, and take some fence sitters with them, causing others to leave due to emptier servers. I feel sorry for any hardcore players who get the annual sub and regret being commmited to the game when they see how much richer the gameplay (hopefully) is in SWTOR or GW2.

I would rather get new players in SWTOR, fans of Star Wars, Bioware and story heavy rpgs in general, rather than millions of WoW players, with all the bad habits you pick up from that game though. I miss the days when I and a group of all noobs would wander areound trying ot figure a mmo world out.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Originally posted by Axxar

Loads of players have wanted Pandarens to be playable since vanilla. I suspect this will be a positive thing for the game overall.

I agree. While Pandas are not what the "kewl" kids wanted I think this will be nothing but positive for WoW. I love how everyone is only looking at the Panda part of it. The fact that there is also..

• Class: Monk

• Pet battle system

• PvE scenarios

• New talent system

• New continent

• Level cap increase to 90

• Challenge mode dungeons

..well good or bad we can ignore all of that and just focus on the Kung Fu panda. Ya I'm sure Blizzard never saw that reference coming. The monk class alone will draw people back just like the DK class did. Curiosity about the rest will keep people there. I don't play WoW and I probably won't play TOR either but to think for a moment that Blizzard gave anything to TOR is just insane. I can't believe that I am defending Blizzard.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Besides the haters on this website Pandas are the #1 most asked for race since the game was first talked about.  They were and are a favored hero in the WC3 game.  They are demanded every year.  Frankly it is about time they put them in.  It is the whiners needing something to whine about here because they fear their games will flop at the start.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Originally posted by nerovipus32

(mod edit)

I suspect not too long after playing SWTOR many folks are going to be thinking, "hey, I've done this before"

Standard theme park MMO's are pretty much all alike.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I saw the pic with that announcement and all that came to mind was "Kung Fu Panda". Then I facepalmed and laughed till my sides hurt. What next, "My Little Pony"?

Let's party like it is 1863!

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

You're not really defending Blizzard, you're just being realistic.

How many times have we heard this before? "X game is going to kill WoW because everyone will move to it..."

It never happens.

And now that people know TOR is pretty standard fare and nothing really new, it still ain't happening.

Titan is the only game that has a shot at drawing a good portion of WoW's (very loyal) population away.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Gruug

I saw the pic with that announcement and all that came to mind was "Kung Fu Panda". Then I facepalmed and laughed till my sides hurt. What next, "My Little Pony"?

Didn't they have sparkle ponies in the cash shop already?

Originally posted by RefMinor

Didn't they have sparkle ponies in the cash shop already?

and they made tons of cash off of them.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by GreenHell

I agree. While Pandas are not what the "kewl" kids wanted I think this will be nothing but positive for WoW. I love how everyone is only looking at the Panda part of it. The fact that there is also..

• Pet battle system

• PvE scenarios

• New talent system

• New continent

..well good or bad we can ignore all of that and just focus on the Kung Fu panda. Ya I'm sure Blizzard never saw that reference coming. The monk class alone will draw people back just like the DK class did. Curiosity about the rest will keep people there. I don't play WoW and I probably won't play TOR either but to think for a moment that Blizzard gave anything to TOR is just insane. I can't believe that I am defending Blizzard.

I think after discovering that Pandas (yes, Pandas) are going to be the new race, most people (above the age of 10) are putting this expansion into the "who gives a shit" bin. It's just a little too much, really. As another poster said: what's next...My Little Pony?

If you're not a youngster or a girly girl, frankly, I do not see how anyone could continue playing an mmo that has Pandas as a race. Pandas ffs!

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Someone in another thread and myself were thinking Bugs Bunny with maybe Elmer Fudd as a raid boss.  At this point, nothing will surprise me.

Just because a race has been in a games' lore doesn't mean it should necessarily be playable.  I think this just makes WoW look even more juvenile.  Whimsy is one thing....taking yourself seriously when doing things like this is another.  To me it just appears foolish.  I hope it pays off for them like they think it will, but I'm one of the ones that isn't compelled to return by this news.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I was thinking more Samuri baby seals myself, this only confirms why I've never been attracted to WoW and why my son at the age of 12 felt is was too childish and stopped playing after one day. I'm certain this appeals to the greater portion of their playerbase in that is situated in China but for most people raised in a western society I'd have thought the kung fu panda thing to be a big turn off.

Sure the expansion is far more than just a kung fu panda but it'd just grate on my nerves too much to see big fat pandas running around like Sammo Hung in fancy dress. The playskool graphics were enough to turn both myself and my son off from it without seeing that kind of thing running around all the time.

I think SWTOR has somewhat sabotaged the announcment of the new expansion but Blizzard have also shot themselves in the foot too. WoW was an 800lb Gorilla but is now an 800lb Panda but for your information a Panda is still a bear with some damn sharp claws and will f*** you up if you get too close!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

dont fool yourself. people will fuss and rage but when the xpac comes out Every one of them will be rolling Pandaran Monks.

Right now people and  "playing cool" jumping on troll bandwagons raging against the HORROR!!11!one

theyll get over it.

As for SWTOR dont be supprised when its not recieved as the 2nd coming its being hyped as.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• ZezelZezel Member Posts: 132

Good luck marketing that Panda class as it was removed as a pet in GW because of endangered species laws.

"The panda was removed prior to game's release in China because that country does allow the depiction of death for members of an endangered species"

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Talk:Animal_companion/Archive#Fern_Lizard_and_Panda_Pet.3F

If you don't like a game don't play it, and quit running to MMORPG.com to trash it.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

My Little Pony isn't next, Pokemon is.  The Pet Battle System is a Pokemon-esque battle game using vanity pets.

Kung-Fu Panda, literally.  Wow.  My brother has been playing WoW religiously for the last 6 years.  After reading about the next expansion, he believes that this will finally break him of his WoW addiction, and SWTOR is the game he's looking at a lot more closely now.

Now they just need to engage Jack Black to do some voice-over work.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Originally posted by Cecropia

Originally posted by GreenHell

• Pet battle system

• PvE scenarios

• New talent system

• New continent

I think after discovering that Pandas (yes, Pandas) are going to be the new race, most people (above the age of 10) are putting this expansion into the "who gives a shit" bin. It's just a little too much, really. As another poster said: what's next...My Little Pony?

If you're not a youngster or a girly girl, frankly, I do not see how anyone could continue playing an mmo that has Pandas as a race. Pandas ffs!

A lot of people that play the game WANTED this. It had been talked about for a long time. It's not about being a youngster or a girly girl. If you discard WoW because of a panda race you are just crazy.

Seriously this is WoW. The whole damn game is a who's who of Noahs Ark. Talking cows,space goats,and worgan not to mention the zoo of NPC races. You really believe that pandas are going to hurt WoW or are you more hoping it does?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I think the Panderan expansion looks cool. Drunken Master Kung Fu Monk Pandas. Cataclysm was pretty 'meh', but this expansion at least looks interesting. A heroic Scarlet Monastery? Sounds cool to me.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

I've always thought StarWars was going to be successful but the degree of success was always in question . The elephant in the room was always what Blizzard were going to do to combat the potential competition from TOR . With the annoucement of the Kung Fu Panda expanion yesterday which seams extremly weak in concept I think Blizzard have given it to TOR on a plate . If the game is as polished and fun as early reviews make it out to be the potential exodus from WoW to StarWars could now be on a epic scale . There must be howls of delight and relief in the Bioware offices at the huge miss step by Blizzard just as they are about to release TOR .

An early Christmas present indeed .

Already replied to you in the thread ABOUT THIS EXACT SUBJECT in the WoW forum: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/330011/Todays-the-day-I-realised-I-would-never-return-to-WoW-Pandas-.html

Why go around and spam every forum mate? Can't you just accept the fact that just because you don't like it, it does not mean that you need to convince others of what they need / needn't to like?

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Zezel

Good luck marketing that Panda class as it was removed as a pet in GW because of endangered species laws.

"The panda was removed prior to game's release in China because that country doesn't allow the depiction of death for members of an endangered species" (fixed)

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Talk:Animal_companion/Archive#Fern_Lizard_and_Panda_Pet.3F

Very interesting information.  Thank you.  I have to question the source a bit....it's in a wiki comments conversation, so...I don't know.  But it's interesting nonetheless.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

May be they will change it to a Koala in China.