Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Expansion Named, New Class & Race Included

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

And Blizzard continues to spiral downward, oh how the great ones fall.

• KappadonnaKappadonna Member UncommonPosts: 119

You know you're MMORPG has gone downhill when: 

• You introduce an Asian themed expansion pack.

All there is to say.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

WoW never thought Blizzard could even manage making this game more of of a joke than it already has become under Jotick and Ghostcrawler. But this is the evidence:

1. Lobby game

Ranking lists, challenge modes, pet fights (is this a Chinpokomongame or what?!). So people are logging in queque up for some instances and climp a ladder? *rofl*

2. Pandas...

With such gay graphics they won't look cute and asian gamers do prefer more detaillove for graphics. If Blizz is serious about targeting this market they gonna need to ramp up the challenge of their kiddy game and add at least good looking graphics. 

Am I the only one still thinking this some kind of a joke? What are they doing with the boatload of money?!

3. Dumbed down even further

I never thought they would be able to dumb down the talent and gamesystem even more but from what I've read they've managed to do that.

My god Blizzard what have you become under Jotick? Its such a shame really hope guys like Kaplan will leave to more gamer dedicated companies soon cause its clear, he wont be able to make Titan the game he would love to.

Shame on you Blizzard, shame on you for selling out to the devil! 

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

Originally posted by Kalfer

3) WoW has always been rated PG12... Ain't that also what SWTOR and GW2 is going to be rated as? The most childish thing here is the smell of all these insecure people. 

Wake the hell up - It's a silly computer game. they do it for the lulz. World of Warcraft is a game with cow men paladins on motorcycles. the joke is on you for crying all "buuhhh they ruined the game

Just because somethings rated PG12 it doesn't mean it has to souly attract 12 year olds you know . I think Blizzard seam to have forgotten that .

I don't think anyones crying about it I think we all find it increadibly funny especially after so many WoW fans defending Blizzard saying they wern't aiming the game at increasingly a younger demographic . This expansion certainly is .

To a certain extent all games are aimed at children and cater to an immature element in us all but theres a point when a game will be viewed as pretty much a childs game . That points normally when you get cutsey playable animals in it .

I tell you what take away the WoW logo and show the promotional picture to say 100 adult I guarantee the vast majority of them if not all of them would think its a game for a very young child .

Pandas have that effect . Worgen dont as they resemble werewolves and Taurens dont as they resemble Minotaurs .

I know a few people already that have cancelled thier sub today to WoW its a step too far for them .

I laughed at the end of your post. That was funny. Can't believe we're still saying this in 2011. 

Look... Do you know anything about kids?

12 year olds want to play Call of Duty, battlefield and other cool games. WoW was never a cool game or a hipster game. It was just a very popular game that was easy to understand for the masses. This game is not anymore or any less immature than anything they have done before.

And you're using freaking Worgen as an argument? seriously - Those cartoony hairy men? I'm sure 12 year olds are more intimidated by axe deodorant or powerpuff girls. It's dances, mechanical chicken mounts, characters with forearms the size of their bodies, pink armors, harpoon pistols, and so on...

Let me tell you what is actually funny - Games that try to be mature and adult on purpose. Now that's some grade A childish crap to laugh at. Like Age of Conan or some of the Bioware rpgs like Dragon Age! Now that is something that is going to attract 12-13 year olds. a dragon age commercial with lots of dragon blood and a cool song by marilyn manson. wow. radical!!!

so, no. You are incorrect. This is totally WoW as it has always been. from Gnomes to space goats, to goblin helicopters, to underwater choo-choo trains, this is not anymore or anyless dumb that warcraft has always been. a over the top parody of itself. as it struck out from its inspiration warhammer which also was a hyper unrealistic version of something else, and so it goes on. 

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by Kappadonna

You know you're MMORPG has gone downhill when: 

• You introduce an Asian themed expansion pack.

All there is to say.

Hey! I actually really liked Guild Wars Factions. 

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

i want to be the very best...

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I've tried typing out a response to this 5 times now and I keep drawing a blank. I am having a hard time beleiving this is real. If it does happen to be real I am having a hard time beleiving Blizzard has sunk to this. 

If the new continent has a dungeon with either a Tiger or a Peacock ..... well I don't know the Shaolin Panda is bad enough lol. 

Damn Blizzard, don't do it man.... Just say no. 

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I've tried typing out a response to this 5 times now and I keep drawing a blank. I am having a hard time beleiving this is real. If it does happen to be real I am having a hard time beleiving Blizzard has sunk to this. 

If the new continent has a dungeon with either a Tiger or a Peacock ..... well I don't know the Shaolin Panda is bad enough lol. 

I've enjoyed a few of your posts in the past, along with several of the people in this thread. It's so disappointing seeing good posters jump on the bandwagon just to hate on a popular game. :(

How exactly has Blizzard "sunk" and to what depths?

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by mysticalspam

Originally posted by Praetalus

Originally posted by precious328

Did they just hire Jack Black or something?

Kung Fu Panda? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I used to play with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when I was a kid. The characters were fantastic, e.g., Leonardo, Don, Mike, Raph, Shredder, Krang, Slash, Splinter, etc....

HOWEVER,

When they started to get cute with stupid characters like, "Pizza Throwing Raph" and "Rappin' Mike", I thought that was even too gay for a 12 year old.

Moreover, the Monk is probably the dumbest class of all time.

This is WoW.

I swear you guys crack me up.. Pandas!! how could they:

Arrakoa = bird people

Centaur= horse people

Furblogs = bear people

Gnolls = hyena people

Kobolds = rat people

Magnataur = mammoth people

Murlocs = fish people

Naga = fish/snake people

Qiraji/Nerubian = bug people

Quillboar = boar people

Taunka = buffalo people

Tauren = cow people

Tol'vir = cat people

Tuskarr = walrus people

Wildkin/Moonkin = owl people

Wolvar = wolverine people

Worgen = wolf people

I don't see a problem.

well lets see you can't play a arrkoa... you cant play a centaur... you cant play furbogs... etc why now all a sudden you can play a race that never existred in the game b4........ thats the problem..

disney kungfu panda people should sue em or something... 

Panda hero is in WC3. do a little research before you speak.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i think the pandaren are not really that much of a stretch given blizzard's irreverent and (overall) light hearted art direction.  not that this expansion will send me back to wow; it won't.  but it's not because of the pandaren express.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well the Monk class looks like a more animtaed version of a paladin, that kick about 7 shades of arse. As for pandaria it is like taking Nagarand and making a entire expansion there. Not a bad pick.

Still the most entertainment i will get out of this is reading all the rage... It is my guilty pleasure.

Also... Since Blizzard knows that WoW has passed the "hump" and will now deline to it's "veteran player"level as every other old MMO the can take a few more risks. So we get Outland on acid with pandas... I can think of a lot worse ideas... Like the Emerald Dream... That would have been bad.

This have been a good conversation

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Come on, you can do better than picking on the Pandaren race, you could try spinning how this expansion is just adding more combat. It's about time they added the Pandarens in this game, been waiting for them ever since Warcraft 3 and that's from before Kung Fu Panda mainstreamed... Kung Fu Pandas.

Anyway, I like how the art for this expansion reminds me of Guild Wars Factions, and the addition of the Challenge Mode Dungeons which for once seems to be a mode focused on skill instead of gear, also something that reminds of GW:F with the leaderboards.

Also looking forward the new talent system, it seems they're finally reaching a point in which true customization will rise (or at least it's coming as close to that than it's ever been and fun to choose, even the Cataclysm talent system seemed complex enough for most people to just copy a winner build instead of figuring out their own).

• manolarenmanolaren Member Posts: 57

Now SWTOR can RIP !!! ahahahahah !!! Blizzard FTW !!!

Originally posted by grawss

I've enjoyed a few of your posts in the past, along with several of the people in this thread. It's so disappointing seeing good posters jump on the bandwagon just to hate on a popular game. :(

First off don't worry not jumping on any bandwagon. I read the info available about the upcomming expansion then immediately posted about it. I then went back and read what others were saying. So these are purely my feelings on the matter. 

And as for how they have sunk and to what depths........ well thats not entirely clear at this point. 

With the Lich King and cataclysm they were heading in a bit more mature route, it seems that the reaction that got from those weren't as expected so now they are going into this knee jerk reaction. 

The Ultra Cutesy and Cheesy Panda expansion combined with offering Diablo 3 for free if you buy an Annual pass says to me that instead of thinking things through and seeing what they can do to improve they hit the panic button. 

Sure, WoW has always been cartoony and cheesey but they don't tend to go cutesy. 

Another thing that bothers me I guess is while WoW has certainly ripped off movies and such in the past even I considered it more or less in good taste. Even when they did Dune. But to do so with Kung Fu Panda...... and to this degree... well it's not the nod or easter egg they are known for. It's almost shameful this round. 

You don't have to agree, be as dissapointed as you feel you need to be. I'm certainly dissapointed in Blizzard, so you might as well be dissapointed in me lol. 

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

Apparently pandas are being associated with kids now.

Cool story bro, i guess i can safely distance myself a little more from the MMORPG.com community.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

First off don't worry not jumping on any bandwagon. I read the info available about the upcomming expansion then immediately posted about it. I then went back and read what others were saying. So these are purely my feelings on the matter. 

And as for how they have sunk and to what depths........ well thats not entirely clear at this point. 

With the Lich King and cataclysm they were heading in a bit more mature route, it seems that the reaction that got from those weren't as expected so now they are going into this knee jerk reaction. 

The Ultra Cutesy and Cheesy Panda expansion combined with offering Diablo 3 for free if you buy an Annual pass says to me that instead of thinking things through and seeing what they can do to improve they hit the panic button. 

Sure, WoW has always been cartoony and cheesey but they don't tend to go cutesy. 

Another thing that bothers me I guess is while WoW has certainly ripped off movies and such in the past even I considered it more or less in good taste. Even when they did Dune. But to do so with Kung Fu Panda...... and to this degree... well it's not the nod or easter egg they are known for. It's almost shameful this round. 

You don't have to agree, be as dissapointed as you feel you need to be. I'm certainly dissapointed in Blizzard, so you might as well be dissapointed in me lol. 

It's a very well known easter egg.

Hell the race has said to be the "next playable" race every expansion added to WoW.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by DerWotan

WoW never thought Blizzard could even manage making this game more of of a joke than it already has become under Jotick and Ghostcrawler. But this is the evidence:

1. Lobby game

Ranking lists, challenge modes, pet fights (is this a Chinpokomongame or what?!). So people are logging in queque up for some instances and climp a ladder? *rofl*

2. Pandas...

With such gay graphics they won't look cute and asian gamers do prefer more detaillove for graphics. If Blizz is serious about targeting this market they gonna need to ramp up the challenge of their kiddy game and add at least good looking graphics. 

Am I the only one still thinking this some kind of a joke? What are they doing with the boatload of money?!

3. Dumbed down even further

I never thought they would be able to dumb down the talent and gamesystem even more but from what I've read they've managed to do that.

My god Blizzard what have you become under Jotick? Its such a shame really hope guys like Kaplan will leave to more gamer dedicated companies soon cause its clear, he wont be able to make Titan the game he would love to.

Shame on you Blizzard, shame on you for selling out to the devil! 

So when Warcraft III launched (it's an RTS game that Blizzard made before) with a playable Panda hero did you make a similar observation?

No?

Oh, right.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Eh this just goes in line with everything I have disliked about WoW the past couple years.  I don't really have much desire to play a kung-fu panda, but the monk class looks ok.  I played WoW hardcore for many years, but I can safely say that this will be the frist WoW expansion I will not be purchasing. 

It really was a great game and I am pretty sure no other MMO will ever rival WoW's popularity, but it's officially over for me.  Have fun WoW dudes and dudettes.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Ok someone said they were Warcraft idea already so i did some checking.

Yes they were a Warcraft 3 idea,but only as a joke,so even Blizzard considered it a joke race.It was becuase of some guy named Samwise Didier inside Blizzard i guess that they made up ART to depict the joke.I do not think they actually existed  in any Warcraft game.

Rumour is they wanted  to make a Pandaren race,but China kind of worships the Panda.So i have no idea how that is going to play out with their game in China.

Ok i chekced out this Didier guy and now it all makes sense.I always wondered why Blizzards art/graphics everything just seems so childish almost ,definitely not a hi end looking set of graphics for sure.The answer is because this Didier guy does ALL of their artwork,he is the lead art guy for Diablo/Warcraft/Starcraft,Wow you name.

So this PAndaren race at least allowed me to learn a bit about what makes Blizzard tick and who influences it.Still a joke race now made real only because Didier LOVES pandas.I think Blizzard sooner or later needs to depict some maturity in their graphics,this cartoon stuff is getting real old.

wow.... you looked it up, and still stated that they don't exisit in any WC game....

once more, for you slow kids, the Panda monk was a hero in WC3, along with the other heros purchased at the inn. any race could choose them. the Panda lvl 6 ability was that it split into several smaller pandas, each representing a different element.

trust me, it existed. the Panda was a good match against my Warden.

I'll get the last bit out of the way quick: If you had read others' viewpoints, you would have seen the enormous number of people giving videos and information regarding Pandaren lore from Warcraft III and even II. Pandarens existed before Kung-Fu Panda.

Next, what do you mean they haven't had cutesy things? Murloc Suits? All the non-combat holiday stuff? Pandas are far less cute than all of that. :/

And lastly: "And as for how they have sunk and to what depths........ well thats not entirely clear at this point. "

You said, "sunk to this" and I was curious what "this" was. I guess now I know it's nothing in particular, like in every other "pandaslolpokemonlol" post in the thread. :/

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

I love it and would completely plan to grind a new panda toon to 90 if I wasn't stuck on SWTOR like a stalking crackwhore junkie.

No bitchers.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

3) WoW has always been rated PG12... Ain't that also what SWTOR and GW2 is going to be rated as? The most childish thing here is the smell of all these insecure people. 

Wake the hell up - It's a silly computer game. they do it for the lulz. World of Warcraft is a game with cow men paladins on motorcycles. the joke is on you for crying all "buuhhh they ruined the game

Just because somethings rated PG12 it doesn't mean it has to souly attract 12 year olds you know . I think Blizzard seam to have forgotten that .

I don't think anyones crying about it I think we all find it increadibly funny especially after so many WoW fans defending Blizzard saying they wern't aiming the game at increasingly a younger demographic . This expansion certainly is .

To a certain extent all games are aimed at children and cater to an immature element in us all but theres a point when a game will be viewed as pretty much a childs game . That points normally when you get cutsey playable animals in it .

I tell you what take away the WoW logo and show the promotional picture to say 100 adult I guarantee the vast majority of them if not all of them would think its a game for a very young child .

Pandas have that effect . Worgen dont as they resemble werewolves and Taurens dont as they resemble Minotaurs .

I know a few people already that have cancelled thier sub today to WoW its a step too far for them .

I laughed at the end of your post. That was funny. Can't believe we're still saying this in 2011. 

Look... Do you know anything about kids?

12 year olds want to play Call of Duty, battlefield and other cool games. WoW was never a cool game or a hipster game. It was just a very popular game that was easy to understand for the masses. This game is not anymore or any less immature than anything they have done before.

And you're using freaking Worgen as an argument? seriously - Those cartoony hairy men? I'm sure 12 year olds are more intimidated by axe deodorant or powerpuff girls. It's dances, mechanical chicken mounts, characters with forearms the size of their bodies, pink armors, harpoon pistols, and so on...

Let me tell you what is actually funny - Games that try to be mature and adult on purpose. Now that's some grade A childish crap to laugh at. Like Age of Conan or some of the Bioware rpgs like Dragon Age! Now that is something that is going to attract 12-13 year olds. a dragon age commercial with lots of dragon blood and a cool song by marilyn manson. wow. radical!!!

so, no. You are incorrect. This is totally WoW as it has always been. from Gnomes to space goats, to goblin helicopters, to underwater choo-choo trains, this is not anymore or anyless dumb that warcraft has always been. a over the top parody of itself. as it struck out from its inspiration warhammer which also was a hyper unrealistic version of something else, and so it goes on. 

Not really theres always been the elements of sillyness there but they've never taken centre stage as such and certainly never been playable . I do agree though this is not aimed at the 12 year old market its aimed at an even younger demographic than that . Its going to be hard for the even most ardent mature fan of Warcraft to defend this move by Blizzard. Its quite simply an argument thats impossible to win .

I don't think its just about the pandas though this a culmination of the direction the games been going in recent years . The drive for more and more simplistic gameplay . Thats not a policey aimed at mature gamers . That a policey aimed at children and it echoes the way they are taught in schools now in a lot of countrys . Kids arn't used to faliure now and they certainly arnt used to competition and achievments are easy to come by .

I know a lot of adults still play WoW but why they do is totally beyond me unless it for meditation purposes because you'll never find anything in WoW that will get the adrenalin going these days . I suspect this has shocked even a large part of whats left of older WoW playerbase .

I know of four people that cancelled thier subs tonight after hearing this . Two couples that played together . They had already felt uneasy in the way the game was going . I guess this was the last straw for them .

Originally posted by Thornrage

yes, yes, i see your point.

Kung Fu panda is an obvious rip-off of the WC3 Panda Monk hero.

thank you for pointing this out.

I know of four people that cancelled thier subs tonight after hearing this . Two couples that played together . They had already felt uneasy in the way the game was going . I guess this was the last straw for them .

I know of a few million people who aren't quitting. Do I win?

Sarcasm is not a crime!

I'll get the last bit out of the way quick: If you had read others' viewpoints, you would have seen the enormous number of people giving videos and information regarding Pandaren lore from Warcraft III and even II. Pandarens existed before Kung-Fu Panda.

Next, what do you mean they haven't had cutesy things? Murloc Suits? All the non-combat holiday stuff? Pandas are far less cute than all of that. :/

And lastly: "And as for how they have sunk and to what depths........ well thats not entirely clear at this point. "

You said, "sunk to this" and I was curious what "this" was. I guess now I know it's nothing in particular, like in every other "pandaslolpokemonlol" post in the thread. :/

No I explained "sunk to this" was the U-turn towards cutesy and the whole "Get Diablo 3 free with an Annual subscription" 

And your right, I know about the Pandaren Lore from Warcraft 3. Will admit I don't  remember any in 2. The problem is... this is Blizzard. Anyone thats been around for a while knows where this is going. With a whole new continent to go with the Pandas you should know where this is going. If they stick to the lore..... which they have had problems doing for years.... then sure you can ignore my comments regarding Kung Fu Panda. 

Maybe this one time Blizzard will stick to the lore and not be Blizzard. Maybe they won't take this as an opportunity add to many "nods" to Kung Fu Panda. 

But sadly thats not the Blizzard I know. 

In the end though even if by some miracle they avoid the kung fu panda nods, my other issues remain. They're acting like they are in panic mode. Reversing direction completely then the whole D3 deal if you get a 1 year sub....... yep, kung fu panda or no thats still there lol.