Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Expansion Named, New Class & Race Included

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by VirusDancer

It is funny how much hate there is in this thread over there being Pandarens.  Kind of reminds me of the hate about there not being Pandarens when LK was announced...

Except there wasnt hate then over ninja pandas being in LK, Appart from ninja panda fans ofc, they were really angry.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

I'll just wait until they put out the Toy Story xpac. We all want to go to infinity and beyond.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Ok someone said they were Warcraft idea already so i did some checking.

Yes they were a Warcraft 3 idea,but only as a joke,so even Blizzard considered it a joke race.It was becuase of some guy named Samwise Didier inside Blizzard i guess that they made up ART to depict the joke.I do not think they actually existed  in any Warcraft game.

Rumour is they wanted  to make a Pandaren race,but China kind of worships the Panda.So i have no idea how that is going to play out with their game in China.

Ok i chekced out this Didier guy and now it all makes sense.I always wondered why Blizzards art/graphics everything just seems so childish almost ,definitely not a hi end looking set of graphics for sure.The answer is because this Didier guy does ALL of their artwork,he is the lead art guy for Diablo/Warcraft/Starcraft,Wow you name.

So this PAndaren race at least allowed me to learn a bit about what makes Blizzard tick and who influences it.Still a joke race now made real only because Didier LOVES pandas.I think Blizzard sooner or later needs to depict some maturity in their graphics,this cartoon stuff is getting real old.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Koyoti

Sorry guys. But....R.I.P WoW (and now...finally)

Okay, quoting this cat for future reference.  When they're still getting subscribers from everyone on planet earth and they move to other celestial territories, you can think back to this post.

I think it's a little childish but I do understand that Pandaren have been in Warcraft's lore for a long time.  This is hardly Blizzard helming a ship haphazardly -- if you don't think they've got the next few years planned for this game (probably more), then I think you're crazy.

Even then, though, this isn't enough to bring me back and neither was Cataclysm, but I don't have a doubt in my mind that this will sell like crazy and so will their new annual subscription.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by lizardbones

Am I the only person who wants to play a drunk Kung Fu panda?

No you are not. Looks very fun to me and I haven't been playing WoW for like 2 years.

(Edit) Question being when does this Xpack is supposed to land?

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Question, would you prefer ninja pandas over with GW2, Archage and SWTOR? because this is the other games you will have on offer when this releases.

I'll play all 4 if they are good.

Thing is WoW is an established game, you know what you're getting...this automatically gives it an edge. Even though I get bored with WoW sometimes, the fact that I've enjoyed it a lot means I'm willing to return and try it out again and again. If swotor, gw2 and archage aren't good when I first play...I'm much less willing to try it out later. So, For me and a lot of previous wow players it isn't a simple "newer is better" thing.

For people that tried and didn't enjoy wow, they'll go to the new games...I don't think MoP is doing enough to get them.

For people that never played, WoW is old (but still the bigboy) so I predict 90% will end up with the new games.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

Originally posted by Nightfyre

Originally posted by Drekker17

They use various weapons, but may have a focus on Fist Weapons...which would be nice

They cannot have a focus on fist weapons, because guess what, that would not be 'balanced' :)

Bah balance is an illusion... :)

But I can see talents gearing towards Fist weapons or staves.

Hehe it should be an illusion but blizzard missed that not so subtle point.  Seriously though, its an old blizzard pattern, talents reflect fist weapons, players complain - I want double hander sword, I want maces, blizz say omg we will lose subs we need to patch - you have seen it all before :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by Wizardry

roflmao...how can anyone seriously be surprised.Loo kat every single Blizzard game,cartoon playhouse.

They havn't made a single game yet where characters/graphics and textures look good,realistic or mature.Some brainiac in their boardroom tohguht it would be a good idea to cash in on the Kung Fu panda movie,maybe his kids fave movie who knows.

Geesh i'm starting to really believe my theory on Titan being a Redneck Rampage mmo,makes sense seriously,follows how they think.

What i don't understand is how Blizzard can get away with a BLATANT copyright.Panda/monk yep pretty much 100% copy,could have named it a different race even but nope Panda.Only thing i can think of is that Vivendi owns a large movie company,maybe they own the Kung Fu Panda copyrights.

You couldn't be more wrong about everything in one single post if you tried.

Still, it's entertaining to see.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Originally posted by Drekker17

Question, would you prefer ninja pandas over with GW2, Archage and SWTOR? because this is the other games you will have on offer when this releases.

I'll play all 4 if they are good.

Thing is WoW is an established game, you know what you're getting...this automatically gives it an edge. Even though I get bored with WoW sometimes, the fact that I've enjoyed it a lot means I'm willing to return and try it out again and again. If swotor, gw2 and archage aren't good when I first play...I'm much less willing to try it out later. So, For me and a lot of previous wow players it isn't a simple "newer is better" thing.

For people that tried and didn't enjoy wow, they'll go to the new games...I don't think MoP is doing enough to get them.

For people that never played, WoW is old (but still the bigboy) so I predict 90% will end up with the new games.

Maybe, but in the gaming world there are watersheds.  Archage, GW2 and SWTOR are all potential watersheds triggers, and these are just the top 3 AAA titles that look almost certainly to be next gen.  All 3 make WOW look its age - e.g getting on for a DECADE old, thats an aga in gaming terms..time to let go shortly for some :)

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

How mighty has fallen ... yea they were in lore before - as april fool's joke ... and they are still joke ... bad one.

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524

An expansion just 1 year after cata?!?!?!?!? well I'm not one to complain since EQ used to put 1 out each year than 2, but Blizzard use to take its time milk some cash. Looks like the upcoming release of ToR has them concerned to a degree to try and milk some last minute change from a mass.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

The problem with being at the top is it's a long drop to the bottom when you fall. I don't think Blizzard will have to worry about SWTOR knocking them off the top, they are going to do it themselves.

I won't buy this x-pac and won't resub to watch a stupid panda dance.

Bye bye Blizzard it was fun but it's old now.

• marquisk2marquisk2 Member Posts: 141

Yeah.  I'll pass on this one.

• MoarDotsMoarDots Member Posts: 40

If anyone's thinking Blizzard is trying to "compete" with the new games coming out with this expansion pack, then you're really an idiot.

It's been 8 years. Blizzard knows no matter what they do they can't directly compete with these new games. They're simply doing what the fuck they want to the game and retain as much of a playerbase as they want. And I'm glad they're doing it. They're adding things they wouldn't have originally added because they know they're not working to keep WoW at the #1 spot anymore; they're simply doing it for the fun of it.

And judging by the response to their April Fool's joke and the past few expansions, the Pandaren race has been long overdue. Whether or not you think it's childish, it's something that the WoW community actually wants.

Counting the 4+ years it was in development, WoW is about 12+ years old?

They have a new MMORPG in the work. They're not trying to keep WoW at the #1 spot at all. It's more triumphant to have the game slowly dies down, then re-gain the market with their new game.

Originally posted by reid424

An expansion just 1 year after cata?!?!?!?!? well I'm not one to complain since EQ used to put 1 out each year than 2, but Blizzard use to take its time milk some cash. Looks like the upcoming release of ToR has them concerned to a degree to try and milk some last minute change from a mass.

They've said it after BC that their goal is to pump out 1 expansion a year. More like they've been off-track.

Originally posted by Zecinator

They have a new MMORPG in the work. They're not trying to keep WoW at the #1 spot at all. It's more triumphant to have the game slowly dies down, then re-gain the market with their new game.

Don't hold you're breath waiting for lightning to strike twice again. WoW was an anomoly I doubt they will repeat the success of it.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

Originally posted by Sanguinelust

Don't hold you're breath waiting for lightning to strike twice again. WoW was an anomoly I doubt they will repeat the success of it.

Why not? Blizzard has never disappointed with any game they've released in the past 10 years.

People thought StarCraft 2 wouldn't be so hot either, and it's pretty much replaced SC1 in all the eSports tournaments around the world.

EDIT: Sorry, change "disappointed" to "failed" - I was pretty disappointed that SC2 didn't have a LAN option, but that doesn't mean it failed.

And knowing them, this new MMORPG won't be out for another 2 years at least because they need to give Diablo 3 time to sound its own thunder.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

And here I was worried about Blizzard announcing something at Blizzcon that might bring me back to WoW...

Looks like there's nothing to worry about. I can watch Kung Fu Panda with my nieces instead.

Why not? Blizzard has never disappointed with any game they've released in the past 10 years.

People thought StarCraft 2 wouldn't be so hot either, and it's pretty much replaced SC1 in all the eSports tournaments around the world.

EDIT: Sorry, change "disappointed" to "failed" - I was pretty disappointed that SC2 didn't have a LAN option, but that doesn't mean it failed.

I'm not saying it won't be successful at all, I'm just saying it won't be as successful.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Originally posted by Anubisan

And here I was worried about Blizzard announcing something at Blizzcon that might bring me back to WoW...

Looks like there's nothing to worry about. I can watch Kung Fu Panda with my nieces instead.

+ 1

Bit of a juvenile thing imo.

• mindblwnmindblwn Member Posts: 31

The "uncorrupted" draenei were stupid in BC. DK class in WOTLK was also retarded. Worgen were fucking stupid too in Cata.

Pandas just make me not want to support Blizzard at all. Thats probably why they are giving away D3 free.

I'm not saying it won't be successful at all, I'm just saying it won't be as successful.

Yes, it definitely won't be as successful - but then again you never know. It scales relative to the MMORPG playerbase. WoW was definitely released at a time when it was the only giant on the hill for years. Their new MMORPG will meet with heavy competition.

But by now I'm pretty sure they've realized that there's no possible way for them to ever pull 12 million subscribers again unless they create something that will blow all the other games out of the water OR the playerbase grow a great deal.

But hey, as a player, I'm not complaining. Competition brings better products. I simply play what entertains me most.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

All the info you need guys http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2516-World-of-Warcraft-Mists-of-Pandaria-Preview-Panel

Ticks all the boxes for me namley;

• No flying till max level (shame it's just in pandaria - should be world wide)

• Talent system 2.0 - no more being shouted at cus I wont spec marksman hunter (I hope)

• New battleground modes, payload, Dota & murder ball

• Challenge mode dungeons with realm rankings and gear normilzation

• Pet battle system (pokemon) turned based - sounds like a fun end game activity, gota'catch'em'all

• Hunter min range is gone, hunter melee weapon is gone

• World raid bosses return
  • grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Beachcomber

Originally posted by Anubisan

+ 1

Bit of a juvenile thing imo.

Kids/teens play cool/hip games. Adults play games that are fun.

Sarcasm is not a crime!