Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Full Beta Preview

Comments

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Good review . Sadly I'm not in the beta so don't know for myself what its like but from what I can garner from official reviews by the like of PCGamer (and some unofficial for that matter) is that everything points to this being a very polished and addictive game . Given the amount of pre-orders it has every chance of being the biggest game in years and could even take down a game like ..... nah I ain't gonna say it I might jinx it .

Joking aside looking forward to this one and even gonna break my pre-order rule because I'm that confident it will be something amazing .

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Well I didn't see anything negative except the one knock on the Huttball PvP. Perhaps a few 'Mehs' but overall it was positive. I can't personally comment as I am still wandering the lonely weekends without beta. *sniffle*

I was just curious if the restrictions the beta placed on the reviewers permitted them to comment on the time/duration of levels 1-10 and 10-15.

It sounded like he ran through the storyline arc of levels 1-10 as well as a good few of the side quests. I'm not terribly interested in speeding to the end game but I seriously suspect that I will want to create my alts up front and then go back to level whichever 'main' I settle on.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by Digna

Well I didn't see anything negative except the one knock on the Huttball PvP. Perhaps a few 'Mehs' but overall it was positive. I can't personally comment as I am still wandering the lonely weekends without beta. *sniffle*

I was just curious if the restrictions the beta placed on the reviewers permitted them to comment on the time/duration of levels 1-10 and 10-15.

It sounded like he ran through the storyline arc of levels 1-10 as well as a good few of the side quests. I'm not terribly interested in speeding to the end game but I seriously suspect that I will want to create my alts up front and then go back to level whichever 'main' I settle on.

I read it as it Hutball needed teamwork to me thats great in my book . I can see Hutball teams springing up all over the place in game . Maybe eventually there will be a Hutball league . Sounds fun . Probably will get my arse kicked in it and end up in a 3rd division team though lol .

• PKJackCrowPKJackCrow Member Posts: 231

i don't plan on playing this game but i dont consider the review biased. when i read thru it on 3 different occasions the reviewer commented something negatively due to his personal preference. I am a star wars fan but i dont plan on playing this because its not going to feel like star wars to me. and i dont m ean SWG since i never played it i just mean stars wars in general

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

Originally posted by Digna

I read it as it Hutball needed teamwork to me thats great in my book . I can see Hutball teams springing up all over the place in game . Maybe eventually there will be a Hutball league . Sounds fun . Probably will get my arse kicked in it and end up in a 3rd division team though lol .

I can see where that would be a lot of fun, particularly for pre-mades/guild teams. Soloists (as the article mentioned) sometimes don't follow the logic of teamwork.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Originally posted by Supersoups

since this is a very small part of an overall massive game? 

He called it the "Full" beta preview.  So yeah people are going to say he got bought off when doesn't mention anything bad about the game(which there is) and doesn't talk about large parts of the game.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• gilgamesh9gilgamesh9 Member Posts: 133

Light v Dark is really only a matter of : do you want to max it out for the gear that becomes available?  If you do, you're going to have to hit that good/evil button every single time.

Originally posted by VoIgore

I wonder when you guys finally realise that you can't take the official articles, re- or previews on this page any serious. This is an infomercial website, catering to the and living by industry -therefore naturally coming along with biased, one sided hype coverage and free 8+ point ratings for the big companies.

This.  Although I was surprised that Massively (a competitor website) actually had a non-fanboi review.

i really dont see a review of someone being bought off here. about a 8.5/10 review he was happy with most things but 3 times in the review he mentioned if he wasnt completed happy with something. i still dont plan on buy this game but people need to read and understand what the article is saying

• opposedcrowopposedcrow Member Posts: 55

I'll be honest, when I first get this game and I'm getting ready to make my first character I'm probably gonna be sitting at that character creation screen for a good half hour cause there are so many different classes I want to play.

I'm about 90% sure my first character will be a Jedi Knight (though I still can't decide which prestige class he's gonna be) but I also want to try out Commando, Smuggler, Imperial Agent, Sith Inquisitor, and maybe even a Bounty Hunter at some point. I'll try to narrow it down to three different characters but that's gonna be hard.

• OziresOzires Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by VoIgore

I can very well imagine that one plays the game up to say mid level, waiting and wondering when the massive multiplayer part will start. Then at perhaps 40+, you realise that the game is really just all about your own story, cut scenes and some co-op along the way.

Now we can flame comments like these as much as we want but there is a point here. I'm not saying sw:tor lacks mmo content. I'm saying we just don't know yet because none of these reviews talk about it at all. Probably because it's still under the NDA which I think is a serious mistake from BW.

First let me clarify what I mean by 'mmo content'. Many mmo players who play mmos like wow and are supposed to be at least some of the target audience (there are some generalizations coming ahead, and even though I can't exactly find myself in the portrait I'm giving here, I do find many of my guildmates) pardon my language, don't give a flying fuck about the questing. They want RAIDS, they want progression and tier sets and challenging boss encounters with heroic modes if need be. These people are the 'addicts' that grind the raids and instances (or operations and flashpoints if you will) every week until BW releases new content, they get their full purple sets or they get bored with the game and leave. They want to look at a new game and see and hours and hours and Hours spent raiding with their guildmates, they don't want to see 'great voiceover in questing'. And these people really are the bread and butter mmorpg players that make the community what it is. They continue playing their subscriptions once all the content up to lv 50 has been played through on 7 alts.

What scares me is that this mmorpg is not giving the signal out to these people to come and clear end game content, which is what matters to them. I'm sure the end game content is out there, covered up under the nda and it's all hush hush for now, but do you people ever wonder why we have trolls posting 'this is a single player game' all the time? It's because people don't bother going to the sw:tor website to read about operations and watch the videos. They want the marketing people to tell them, to shout from the rooftops 'There are operations many of them, and there's going to be progression and it's great!!'. It's stupid to assume people should go looking on their own to find this out, most simply won't. It's not the customer's job.

Many raiders are tired with the way wow makes progression 'there's always a bigger dragon' and many are tired of playing wow in general and are looking for something new while continuing to do what they like most. Sw:tor is supposed to be an mmo and not just an rpg, so it should cater to these people! And I really hope sw:tor has something to offer here. I hope more than anything BW is going to start marketing what they're bringing to the raiding content instead of just giving previews of the first levels. This keeps enforcing the predisposition that sw:tor has NO endgame content and NO farmable flashpoints. Also I think it is an immense loss for the game if these kinds people don't start playing it. One more time: they keep the game alive.

When people were talking about how they were going to level in Cataclysm some were saying 'I'm going to do all the quests and experience the world' while others said 'I'm not going to do a single quest I'm going to dungeon farm all the way to 85 and start raiding with my guild'. Type 1 is being serviced here. Type 2 is NOT. They want to hear whether they can skip the quests and do flashpoints to 50, this to them is the 'mmo'-part. I'm sure this attitude has developed from the wow quests being absolutely horrible (sure they've started putting work into it but still it's pretty much terrible). This has made people distrustful of the whole 'questing is fun' -scenario. It's never been fun for them, it's something to avoid as far as you're able and not touch with a long stick. I don't know if people like this are going to be positively surprised by the questing in sw:tor. I hope they are since from what I gather it really can't be compared to wow-questing.

The main point is, you can't convince these people that grouping up during questing or at a flashpoint now and then makes a game an mmo. They suck up the questing no matter how awful it is purely to do operations at the end. The leveling can be great sure, I'm not saying people like this don't enjoy it at all, I'm just saying it's not the gamebraker. The flashpoints and the operations are. I really hope they are there, because this sounds like a great game. Now flame me for being a wow player all you want. I don't like the way wow is doing mmorpgs, I've quit playing it and I'm never going back. Not even if I end up disappointed with sw:tor, which has given me some hope back in the genre. The only way I'm going to end up being disappointed is that sw:tor is going to be 'the other extreme' all rpg and no 'operating' and 'flashpointing' and no grindable pvp.

TL;DR: Flashpoints and Operations need to be Farmable and Numerous, they make a game into an mmorpg. Having great rpg is icing on the cake and sorely needed, but that will not help if the cake is not there. BW needs to show it to us if it is.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

I beta'd the game couple weekends ago {mod edit} I'm stoked for this game.

***Bioware allows Raving Rabbid to use plunger in the game!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

Originally posted by marinrider

Originally posted by EvilChemist

Now roll 5 more classes from 1-20 like i did and see if you still care about the choices in the same way lol

Its a game about choice.  I can imagine it getting old when you roll so many characters.  May be different at launch when you feel more of an attachment to your characters on account of them not being wiped and all.

No, it's a game of false choices, like DA2.  The light/dark functions only as a gate to gear.  Going full dark on Republic doesn't scare people or make your reputation as a monster appear anywhere.  Hell, they laud you as a hero regardless of alignment.  Bioware is great at thinking your choices matter, but ultimately, it doesn't change the game one bit -- especialyl since it's a themepark MMO where everything has to remain static.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Boreil

I wouldnt say " fully good  reveiws" not by a streatch, plenty of very good and bad  but it seams , at least in the early game , some of the main points of the game are hit and miss  I.E story/multiplayer/campanions. Its still too early to tell anything though really.

Except that the bad reviews aren't based on the quality of the game, but rather what the reviewer is looking for in a game.  In essence, they're calling it a bad game, rather than calling it a good game that doesn't cater to their playstyle.

If a casual game does it's job and caters to casual players, then who is some hardcore reviewer to say that the game is bad when it serves it's intended purpose?  Perhaps said reviewer should be reviewing their types of games instead?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by gilgamesh9

Originally posted by marinrider

Originally posted by EvilChemist

Now roll 5 more classes from 1-20 like i did and see if you still care about the choices in the same way lol

Its a game about choice.  I can imagine it getting old when you roll so many characters.  May be different at launch when you feel more of an attachment to your characters on account of them not being wiped and all.

No, it's a game of false choices, like DA2.  The light/dark functions only as a gate to gear.  Going full dark on Republic doesn't scare people or make your reputation as a monster appear anywhere.  Hell, they laud you as a hero regardless of alignment.  Bioware is great at thinking your choices matter, but ultimately, it doesn't change the game one bit -- especialyl since it's a themepark MMO where everything has to remain static.

I'll take the illusion of choice over a boring meaningless grind any day of the week.  Whether you agree with Bioware's design philosophy or not, you cannot deny that it helps you feel more invested in your character than any of those regular  RPG / MMORPG paradigms.

• milkpuddingmilkpudding Member Posts: 29

This happens to be my biggest concern too and the reason that I'm not pre-ordering.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Originally posted by Boreil

I wouldnt say " fully good  reveiws" not by a streatch, plenty of very good and bad  but it seams , at least in the early game , some of the main points of the game are hit and miss  I.E story/multiplayer/campanions. Its still too early to tell anything though really.

Except that the bad reviews aren't based on the quality of the game, but rather what the reviewer is looking for in a game.  In essence, they're calling it a bad game, rather than calling it a good game that doesn't cater to their playstyle.

If a casual game does it's job and caters to casual players, then who is some hardcore reviewer to say that the game is bad when it serves it's intended purpose?  Perhaps said reviewer should be reviewing their types of games instead?

Wether you are a hardcore gamer or a sanbox player or casual player, players know when games are bad. You can only hide bad so far until everyone eventually catches on.

i honestly think this game will serve its community well im not part of that community, i overall think it will be a good to great game not a masterpiece but will give the ones looking at it what it wants. good for them. i havent seen a game come out that was a masterpiece yet usually it builds itself up that way maybe this one will too, to one demographic. one of these days a company will make a company for myself and the demographic im a part of

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

What SWTOR is not...

1) SWG 2.0 - Did anyone really want that?

2) Elves Slashing and Dwarves - The Star Wars part kind of made that clear.

3) Boring to Creative Minds - Thats debatable. A bunch of sticks could be interesting to a creative mind because something could be created from that. How is a themepark MMO possibly engaging for a creative mind? There is really nothing to create. It is all laid out for you. What to do, where to go your options are limited by the way the game was designed. You are just a player not at all a creator. Now if you are talking about RPing well that is another thing entirely.

What SWTOR is...

1) MMO with a purpose - same purpose as all of the others. Level to end game and then raid or pvp. Chase the carrot until you just cant take it any more.

2) MMO with a balance in gameplay ( PVP, PVE, Crafting, Exploration ) - that is also debatable. I have seen nothing that says crafting is very usefull at end game and once you have explored everything there is nothing new until a patch or most likely an expansion.

3) Story Driven ( So powergamers are sure to complain ) - can't argue with that. There is story and people are sure to complain when they hit end game. What does happen at end game when the story ends?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Wether you are a hardcore gamer or a sanbox player or casual player, players know when games are bad. You can only hide bad so far until everyone eventually catches on.

If you hate metal music, does that mean all artists of the genre are bad musicians? If you dislike cherry pie does that mean all bakers who bake a cherry pie are bad at what they do? There's a huge difference between being bad at something, and creating stuff for a certain audience or taste.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118

I really hope this game gonna be awesome i only have one problem really and its called Origin

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Forgefeu

I really hope this game gonna be awesome i only have one problem really and its called Origin

Not needed for TOR, BF3 on the other hand...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

What SWTOR is not...

1) SWG 2.0: Surprize!!!

2) Elves Slashing and Dwarves Hacking: Hey! we do have blood elves, wowesque shoulder pads, warlock robes

3) Boring to Creative Minds: You mean things like SWTOR crafting is > SWG one? Seriously?

What SWTOR is...

1) MMO with a purpose: Like follow a tunneled story game play?

2) MMO with a balance in gameplay ( PVP, PVE, Crafting, Exploration ) You are fooling yourself

3) Story Driven ( So powergamers are sure to complain ) Actually RPers and sandbox ones are to complain, single player RPG players are to be happy

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

"Sounds like a fun game"

"Omg it's horrible, here's why "

"Are you serious?  Whatever, go play what you want to."

"No way, I'm too busy spreading the gospel."

"...all right {backs away slowly}"

"Come back, I've got to try to convince you not to spend your own money!  It's desperately important!"

"What's in it for you?"

"If I win, I win Forum War points!  Redeemable for valuable cash and prizes!"

"..."

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Sounds really good. I've always liked trooper myself, but I might have to go with Imperial Agent.  I've always liked being the evil guys in Star Wars.