Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Full Beta Preview

Comments

• ChinaCatChinaCat Member UncommonPosts: 670

Originally posted by jamigre

I'm a Sandbox guy through and through, {mod edit} and am really looking forward to playing it for a while. 

Finally, a comment from a person I can relate to who's tested the game.

I'm concerned about the lack of pvp; specifically, World PvP.

Thanks, sounds like it's worth the price of admission at least.

-CC

"Lately it occurs to me,
    what a long, strange trip it's been". -Hunter

• There is something seriously satisfying about pumping unrelenting high speed blaster bolts into some poor guy's chest and watching him convulse like Chunk doing the truffle-shuffle in The Goonies.

Mike you get imageimageimage for that alone

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Umm  my eyes strain badly when have to read so much text.Why is there such a shortage of videos here,i would have loved to have seen a sort of Ripper X dialogue explaining a video of someone playing,in this case Mr.Bitton.He made it quite clear that he never wants to see another text box,but then we have to read paragraphs of text in this case ../sigh...please videos,it is much more compelling and exciting to watch a video.

oh well i'm sure someone will post a video on you tube or something.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• OzzallosOzzallos Runes of Magic CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 35

Frankly, story carries this game, nothing more, nothing less. Everything else is mediocre. I'd say more, but my blog was already a victim of the NDA hammer.

If you're already predisposed toward starwars, you'll give the medocre a pass because it does a reasonable job at representing your favorite fictional environment. If you're not all in for starwars, it's still a passably good game until something with a bit more mechanical substance comes around.

Story aside, if you're looking for a WoW alternative, prepared to be disapointed.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Wizardry

Umm  my eyes strain badly when have to read so much text.Why is there such a shortage of videos here,i would have loved to have seen a sort of Ripper X dialogue explaining a video of someone playing,in this case Mr.Bitton.He made it quite clear that he never wants to see another text box,but then we have to read paragraphs of text in this case ../sigh...please videos,it is much more compelling and exciting to watch a video.

oh well i'm sure someone will post a video on you tube or something.

Video / screenshots were not allowed. Sorry!

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

"In one example, I had to return an AWOL doctor to the Republic and he wouldn’t budge unless we evacuated the many orphans he’d taken under his care as well. I made the call to not expend unnecessary Republic resources securing the whole group, and instead opted to just rescue the doctor."

You're clearly a heartless SOB.  This has tarnished anything else you might have to say about the game.  We simply cannot take your opinion seriously anymore.  /endsarcasm

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Few things if I may:

1) Maybe but PvP it felt like reading a KOTOR III review, not a MMO review. Shall we assume KOTOR is a single player game in its core?

2) How about character body customization, gaphics, space combat, medium term replayability, UI customisation, inventory management, guilds mechanism, grouping and queuing mechanism for instances, travelling, space ships, housing, furnishing, gear dyes, crafting complexity, game balance?

3) How about time and money sinks, grind factor?

4) What's the feeling of being "required" to use companions in solo mode? Or is that a false perception?

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

If one doesn't think that this is an mmorpg, then I can't imagine that they think any themepark mmo is a mmorpg.  

• ashreashre Member UncommonPosts: 3

can't wait to play my smuggler definitly is going to get slicing. think i'll give every class at try until lvl 10 at least

• ironjedi2020ironjedi2020 Member Posts: 2

tjos game is going to be fun cause i want to be a jedi cause i played alot of jedi games like knights of the old republic 1 and 2 force unleashed 1 and 2 the older star wars jedi games for pc jedi outcast and jedi academy i am so ready for this game for the early game access full game and beta testing.

• NirwylNirwyl Member Posts: 103

It's kind of funny how many people are excited for this game. I used to be one of them, until I realized I probably wasn't going to like this game. But, I have higher standards than most people I guess.

I wonder how many people will still be so excited to play this game a month after it's released? Half? A quarter? That first month falloff can be a killer. I still remember all the fanfare from previous big MMO releases, and how they all failed to deliver long term satisfaction.

Color me unimpressed.

• BigCaliGuruBigCaliGuru Member UncommonPosts: 103

Awsome, and thanks for the great read. I cant wait to play.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Biggus99

Originally posted by Xondar123

Originally posted by Puremallace

No negatives at all. I think a very glaring negative and this is going to get endlessly debated. Is this a single player rpg or mmorpg. Everything in this article and a few others is only about you and I have not heard one reviewer mention others players or how you interact with them.

Is that just a oversight because it is worrying alot of people?

It is most definately NOT single player, it most definitely IS an MMORPG.

The article mentions Flashpoints. These have to be played with a full team (4 players) and there are 15 of them in the game. Other articles mention "Heroic Quests" which are everywhere, from the starting planets on up, and these need at minimum 2 players to complete. Further, the very fact of the PvP means that a huge portion of the game is multi-player as you need to play with and against other players.

You can solo the game, but then you are going to be missing an absolutely huge amount of content. It's be like only playing a quarter of the game rather than the whole thing.

In fact, this game is so much an MMO that the reviews don't feel the need to mention the "single-player vs. MMO" question. It's simply a moot point and not worth discussing.

Anyone who claims this game is single player is either lying or completely ignorant of what this game is.

Not to mention, they encourage grouping because you get a chance for more social points by being in a group than you would solo.  

Yeah, but unless it's a group of 5180948204182421 players, some people don't consider it "Massive Multiplayer."

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 492

This is precicely why BW opened the NDA to press only, because of suck up writeups like this. You don't mention any of the things that are wrong with the game so you don't tick off BW and the readers are suckered into thinking the game is a gleaming subeam of love and butterflies.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by Nirwyl

It's kind of funny how many people are excited for this game. I used to be one of them, until I realized I probably wasn't going to like this game. But, I have higher standards than most people I guess.

I wonder how many people will still be so excited to play this game a month after it's released? Half? A quarter? That first month falloff can be a killer. I still remember all the fanfare from previous big MMO releases, and how they all failed to deliver long term satisfaction.

Color me unimpressed.

Just because YOU don't like the game doesn't make you any more discerning than those that do.  It means you like a different style of game.  I'd imagine that you like some games I don't particularly care for, but I wouldn't be arrogant enough to suggest that I just have higher standards than you just because I don't like those games.  

You're clearly unimpressed, and for those of us who will be enjoying this game, we clearly don't care that you're unimpressed.  And to think this game will stop being enjoyable for half the population a month after launch is simply delusional.  

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by Warzod

This is precicely why BW opened the NDA to press only, because of suck up writeups like this. You don't mention any of the things that are wrong with the game so you don't tick off BW and the readers are suckered into thinking the game is a gleaming subeam of love and butterflies.

Or....maybe he likes the game and plans on playing it?  Nahhhhh, couldn't be that.  Must have been paid off by EA.

• ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

How much did Bioware pay this site? Nothing bad about it at all... there must be somthing.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

Originally posted by Agricola1

I'm finding it difficult to put an opinion in words,

I didn't break the NDA did I?

LOL!

Thanks for the great article MikeB! Can't wait!

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Ubudar

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

It seems like trooper is a very popular class, IGN did the trooper impression first as well. I'll probably try all of them, since they all have different story?

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Very nice read MB. However i did try not to read spoilers but couldn't stop myself. ;p

And for the regular SWTOR bashers (same 4 to 5 guys as usual) who are disappointed by lack of negativity in preview and accusing MB for being paid off by EA. Is it really hard to believe that MB actually enjoyed the game so far? who is to tell there won't be more negative points in future reviews? since this is a very small part of an overall massive game? 

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

It's really Star Wars the Teenage Republic. That's why there's such a split over this game, it's made for the younger gamers, it appeals to their mindset and whom Mr Lucas wants as a target audience. The SWG pre NGE MMO gamer is not part of the plan for this one.  We just need to leave The Teenage Republic to get on with it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I wonder when you guys finally realise that you can't take the official articles, re- or previews on this page any serious. This is an infomercial website, catering to the and living by industry -therefore naturally coming along with biased, one sided hype coverage and free 8+ point ratings for the big companies.

• TrivierreTrivierre Member Posts: 1

I have to note that I am buying the game (I had it pre-ordered and fully paid off at the first day available), however I also agree with the aforementioned statement regarding this game's potential longevity. Call me a skeptic, but I don't have high hopes for replayability, which is ultimately what MMORPGs are all about.

I look forward to the story, and the experience of the Star Wars universe, but I have played many MMORPGs and it takes more than a story to hold people for longer than a couple months. I hope the game holds up to everyone's positive expectations, but I can only be realistic. You can't compete much with up and coming MMOs when (basically) all you can offer is some storyline. Storyline is awesome (I am an avid RPG nerd), but it only goes so far. It's for the same reason that I don't play my single player RPGs over and over and over. The principle applies here as well.

I predict that this game will be loads of fun on the first, and maybe even the second, playthrough... but after that, the population will start to thin out down to die hard Star Wars fans, or people who just don't want to go on to something else. We will have to wait and see what happens to every MMO once the others (such as GW2) hit the market.  TOR will have a good couple months, but I am doubting that there will be a strong playerbase after that, when all the hype fades and people have their fix.

Someone is bound to disagree with me, and you are welcome to it. Opinions are just that. :)

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I can very well imagine that one plays the game up to say mid level, waiting and wondering when the massive multiplayer part will start. Then at perhaps 40+, you realise that the game is really just all about your own story, cut scenes and some co-op along the way.