Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Full Beta Preview

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

Remember that Troopers are virtual mirrors to Bounty Hunters so for those wanting to play those they can get a lot out of this review as far as overall play of mechanics are concerned.

What differs greatly is story which I advice you never, ever seak out prior to playing. Companions (albeit mostly clones too as far as function) also make the difference through story, looks and personality.

The great thing about the mirrors not being so 'mirrored' (as WAR suffered from) in Swtor is that Story, background, starting planets, companions etc make a serious impact on how a class 'feels' despite similar mechanics.

Even the IGN opening article mentions that the game offers nothing exceptionally new then it comes to Swtor's mmo approach. Haters will harp on this all day but if you come to terms with the reality of the situation you can then simply decide if the game is in fact good beside that.

You stay sassy!

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Zeroxin

The smuggler seems to be the class to play if you want to have some semblance of difference in gameplay style compared to other games.

The cover system is pretty much a love or hate it mechanism. The ranged tank and stealth healer concepts are also new. There is a more traditional ranged dps as well. The skill caps are quite a bit different between classes as well ( see IGN preview not a Beta leak).

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

So are there any actual MMO features in this game worth writing about? Because this review could might as well have been written for a regular multiplayer game.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Yamota

So are there any actual MMO features in this game worth writing about? Because this review could might as well have been written for a regular multiplayer game.

They are only level 1-15 previews.  How many other MMO's have you doing more than playing a multiplayer game by then?  Also, the reviewers have posted answers to tons of questions about things regarding normal MMO features.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Shodanas

Originally posted by Biggus99

Originally posted by Suave

Still not sure how this game supposedly appeals to "Star Wars Fans".  Especially ones of the Original Trilogy.

Skiiiiiiiiip.

You don't know how a game that is called, "Star Wars:  The Old Republic," is based on Star Wars lore, in the Star Wars setting, consisting of 17 Star Wars planets, and is full of Star Wars features (lightsabers, Wookies, space stations, The Force, etc) would be appealing to Star Wars fans?  Really?

What he means is how will this game appeal to the disgruntled WSG vets and sandbox lovers who just can't accept the fact that SW TOR isn't SWG II.

They'll let go eventually. 

Really?

It has been nearly 6 yrs, and folks still pipe in about that POS game. Some serious issues amongst that crowd.

BTW thanks for write up Mike. Will be great when launch day finally hits.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Perhaps it doesn't turn "Massively" until level 50; it might be a Heroic quest for the final, yet first M in MMORPG.  Until then it just might be a mixture of single-player and cooperative-player ORPG with multiple people on the same server.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Saxx0n

Originally posted by BadSpock

Not really any spoilers in any of the pieces on this site.

I've just read them all.

Nearly 100% positive.

Very, very good to hear.

Smuggler preview says it best - if you are not looking for a story driven Bioware game with excellent (yet standard) MMO features then this game is not for you.

Just something worth mentioning before the trolls/haters invade this thread.

I maybe could get excited like everyone else and run around arms flailing in tight circles really fast while pee-peeing my pants except for the statement above.

I like the standard. Its the whole reason I'm into MMO's because I love that type of gameplay and its features. 

• blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174

On the 20th December there will be a great disturbance in the force as huge numbers of people from around the globe switch to TOR from MMO's everywhere.

On the 21st December in your existing MMO *crickets*

And please remember as you leave "Can I have your stuff"?

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534

Bioware hasn't disappointed me when it comes to story, so SWTOR looks like it won't either. Good stuff.

• erickdeforeserickdefores Member Posts: 161

LOL   

OK DAMNIT!  Darkponey... are you going to run a guild?  If so please let me know  I am super interested in joining it.  If not  well...... may the force of the wet cat be with you.....allways.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

All they could write about was what they experienced up until they receive their ship. In essense what they saw was what you'd see in any MMO's tutorial areas like EQ2's islands or anything similar.

It really boils down to, what do you mean by MMO features?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

Hmm...

The fact that I saw pretty much 0 negatives makes me even more skeptical.

Is the game basically a souped up KOTOR with possible multiplayer aspects?

I don't mean that in a negative way because I liked KOTOR. I just don't think it fits my mmo taste if that's the case. And there are other single-player stories (with co-op) that I find more appealing.

I'm kind of in the "I might want to play the story and never sub" kind of mode, but with GW2's vast innovation, TSW, and me not wanting to pay for too many games I probably will have to pass :/.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I'll be waiting for release and player reviews.

So far press has been rather unreliable with SWTOR.

• icreepinicreepin Member UncommonPosts: 29

Well what I read over and over was "story line" even in pvp there was a "story line" type of feel. I don't think I will be playing this game.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Puremallace

No negatives at all. I think a very glaring negative and this is going to get endlessly debated. Is this a single player rpg or mmorpg. Everything in this article and a few others is only about you and I have not heard one reviewer mention others players or how you interact with them.

Is that just a oversight because it is worrying alot of people?

It is most definately NOT single player, it most definitely IS an MMORPG.

The article mentions Flashpoints. These have to be played with a full team (4 players) and there are 15 of them in the game. Other articles mention "Heroic Quests" which are everywhere, from the starting planets on up, and these need at minimum 2 players to complete. Further, the very fact of the PvP means that a huge portion of the game is multi-player as you need to play with and against other players.

You can solo the game, but then you are going to be missing an absolutely huge amount of content. It's be like only playing a quarter of the game rather than the whole thing.

In fact, this game is so much an MMO that the reviews don't feel the need to mention the "single-player vs. MMO" question. It's simply a moot point and not worth discussing.

Anyone who claims this game is single player is either lying or completely ignorant of what this game is.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

The most important information for me is missing: how intelligent and varied are the PvE bots? 

It was the repetative nature of WoW PvE that finally made me not play it any more.

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by icreepin

Well what I read over and over was "story line" even in pvp there was a "story line" type of feel. I don't think I will be playing this game.

Sure don't play. Find some game where you can just kill people cause they run around the place without any reason, kill them whenever you want in any way you prefer. Oh wait, aren't there already 153 PvP games with rules like that? So why do you need to play SWTOR then? Is that because you like Star Wars? So is Star Wars about story or PvP? I've always thoutght that Star Wars is an awesome story, yet you hate that story focus in SWTOR and you just want plain PvP? I don't think you need SWTOR to PvP people... witohut any rules or objectives. Go to any PvP MMO out there and enjoy the slaughter, why SWTOR? I don't get your line of thought.

• JasputanJasputan Member Posts: 2

I think the biggest thing people mean when they ask whether it is "actually going to be an mmorpg" or "just a single player game with some mmo aspects" is what the end-game material will be like.  Whether there will be challenging raid instances that require a lot of team work and that really must be done in a guild setting.  Whether these raids will build upon one another and get more challenging.  Whether there will be a "final goal" such as (using WoW as an example) killing Kil'jaeden or Arthas.  Stuff like that.  If the end-game material isn't good (and by good I mean challenging, extensive, builds upon itself) then it really is just a game that you can play with your buddies, not an mmorpg.

With that said I have great hope for this game.  If Bioware can successfully integrate amazing story-telling, Star Wars, and a" true-blue" MMORPG feel (including quality end-game material!) then this game could be amazing for a long time.  I just hope I can justify buying this game with how busy I am!

• JasputanJasputan Member Posts: 2

With that said I have great hope for this game.  If Bioware can successfully integrate amazing story-telling, Star Wars, and a" true-blue" MMORPG feel (including quality end-game material!) then this game could be amazing for a long time.  I just hope I can justify buying this game with how busy I am!

• kage71kage71 Member UncommonPosts: 123

Originally posted by Suave

Still not sure how this game supposedly appeals to "Star Wars Fans".  Especially ones of the Original Trilogy.

Skiiiiiiiiip.

Being that we all here are "Star Wars Fans" i think it is safe to say that this game does appeal to us for the most part. And since we all know that the Orginal Trilogy is infact not the beginning of it all then it is also safe to say that Bioware did a good job to create a game that gives them room to grow for many years. 3000 years before the birth of Anakin is a good timeline to work on new ideals and new products for expansions for years (real time). You do have to understand they built this MMO off the back of their KoToR which is only about 300 years after that game's timeline if iam not mistaken.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by Xondar123

No negatives at all. I think a very glaring negative and this is going to get endlessly debated. Is this a single player rpg or mmorpg. Everything in this article and a few others is only about you and I have not heard one reviewer mention others players or how you interact with them.

The article mentions Flashpoints. These have to be played with a full team (4 players) and there are 15 of them in the game. Other articles mention "Heroic Quests" which are everywhere, from the starting planets on up, and these need at minimum 2 players to complete. Further, the very fact of the PvP means that a huge portion of the game is multi-player as you need to play with and against other players.

You can solo the game, but then you are going to be missing an absolutely huge amount of content. It's be like only playing a quarter of the game rather than the whole thing.

In fact, this game is so much an MMO that the reviews don't feel the need to mention the "single-player vs. MMO" question. It's simply a moot point and not worth discussing.

Anyone who claims this game is single player is either lying or completely ignorant of what this game is.

Not to mention, they encourage grouping because you get a chance for more social points by being in a group than you would solo.  

• kage71kage71 Member UncommonPosts: 123

Originally posted by Jack_Target

The most important information for me is missing: how intelligent and varied are the PvE bots? 

It was the repetative nature of WoW PvE that finally made me not play it any more.

Wow dude you really need to follow the information that was sent out about this game. Not to bash you or anything however any and i mean anyone who has played Bioware games know the answer to that first question. The pve bots are not stupid at all for any of the bioware games i have played. I remember buying Dragon Age 1 and running that game over and over to death. Ha ha i still play that game and the bots after awhile does not seem like your average dummy bots and if ToR is anything like Dragon Age i know iam going to love the game alot more in a MMO setting. Not to say i won't enjoy groups because i play tanks and tanks love groups.

Lastly, Bioware spokemens have stated this game is not for the grinding to get up and if you follow the storyline you will be at max level you have to realize this game is freaking huge and it is not the average MMO. They have dumped over 135 million into this game and i doubt this money was just for write off purposes lol.

Just remember this Bioware is the only company that can boast this: A story driven game and the first and only MMO with fully interactive voice over.. need i say more?

• amimiaamimia Member UncommonPosts: 73

I think its funny to watch how people want to say this is like WOW or its another WOW clone. To be honest I think this had alot of KOTOR feel to it however I get to group with people for Flashpoints/Missions/Quests instead of always playing as a single player. Now with that being said, if you look at the timelines KOTOR was release on July 15th 2003 on the xbox, Nov 2003 for Windows and Sept 2004 for Mac. World of Warcraft was not released until Nov 2004 which was almost a year and a half after KOTOR was release. So how is it a game that they just basicly made into a MMO a clone of another that was actually released after it. I look at it as, it just took them almost 10 years to come out with the multiplayer for KOTOR lol.

I had a ton of fun playing the beta, not going to tell you any details but I was surprised how polished atleast the first 15 levels were. I know alot of people were worried that they were rushing it. Not saying its perfect by any means. But felt good that they atleast had them in good shape.

Just putting it out there. I will agree if you didnt care for KOTOR or KOTOR 2 then you will not care for this game. Just my opinion.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

I connected to the article ( crap NDA in effect).

Glad to know that his experience with Commando was what I was hoping for it would be.

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

Originally posted by Xondar123

4 players  is a co-op...not an mmo.......................... You can get this stuff on console games.

If the only part of mmorpg in this game is just multiplayer online rpg (MORPG)... then this is why people don't see it as an MMO.

I don't know how big the fights or the instances can get, but there's more massively in Battlefield and Killzone....and old Resistance 1 and Resistance 2 had missions that had 30+ people in them for goodness sake.

I mean. I'm not trying to say the game is bad, just that for an mmo it offers less MM than console games do at the moment.  Until I gess the "end game territory control planet".

As long as you realize that having 4 players doesn't make your game massive (4 players in separate instances is just like playing a console game with 4 players in separte instance in a game where 100s of thousands maybe even millions are playing).

The game's probably really good on the story/KOTOR side of things, but I have yet to see anything MASSIVELY about the game. You can argue shops etc. or the social hub, which is nice, but still... group play is getting smaller and smaller. It'll be a party of 2 before long.