Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Full Beta Preview

Comments

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

What text box? There are no text boxes in this game.  I'm in beta. 

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Very biased review but I guess someone has to write something good about it.

I love it... the review doesn't say the game sucks, so you say its biased. lol

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by marinrider

Originally posted by EvilChemist

Now roll 5 more classes from 1-20 like i did and see if you still care about the choices in the same way lol

Its a game about choice.  I can imagine it getting old when you roll so many characters.  May be different at launch when you feel more of an attachment to your characters on account of them not being wiped and all.

Yeah, this is why I'd hate to play the beta myself. So much to be spoiled on characters which you'll be forced to prematurely abort.

No disrespect to beta testers but to me it would feel like visiting a prostitute the day before you have a date with that funny, smart and really good looking girl that you deeply fell in love with. V_V

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875

The text box comment means he loves the voice acting and not having to read quest text ever again.

Yes just because it is positive it is a lie..typical  hater response.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

That fellow is entitled to his opinion. Don't worry, I've got thick skin I can handle it. I'd much prefer you guys focus on the content of the article and SW:TOR in general than slag off on the guy though. Thanks!

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Good stuff, now if they would just put me in a beta weekend so I can poke around and figure out what to play as Dec.20.  Even though I know it will 99.9% likely be as a Bounty Hunter, hehe.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

There are some text boxes for repeatable quests you find at computer terminals. I agree though, voice acting is nice, but only the first time around. The second time you skip through.

The best thing I like about the game is that combat feels like an action game. Perhaps because your toon is very powerful, enemies are not, and you often have a companion or friend along, not to mention just about every class has a self heal, all of this means you can mow down enemies. Some of the classes you actually can fight 3 at a time with aoes, dots, stuns, whatever.

• ThunderballsThunderballs Member Posts: 365

Cracking review.  well done.

Caveat Emptor

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

I still want to be a tanking trooper, but being able to field a BMFG and unload on a room of mobs sure does sound fun. So far, I've not seen any indication that Vanguards will get to use the big side-mount cannons, true?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

I still want to be a tanking trooper, but being able to field a BMFG and unload on a room of mobs sure does sound fun. So far, I've not seen any indication that Vanguards will get to use the big side-mount cannons, true?

Commandos only.

• PrayrPrayr Member UncommonPosts: 267

Just got one thing to say..... HURRY UP WITH MY INVITE!!!

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Wheres Vader? *joke*

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

Nice! Thanks for the responses :)

Not that it matters, since I pre-ordered a collector's edition lol but...you know..nice to read about how the game is progressing!

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

Originally posted by Xerith

I never understood the argument of it "feels" like a single player game. What MMO doesnt anymore? I can hit 85 in WoW without ever grouping with another person. Same with LOTRO, FE, AoC and nearly every other MMO out there to date. 

The social system in SWTOR should have people grouping up more than these other games as it actually awards social points for interacting in multi-player dialogues. These points can then be spent on various forms of goodies. So in a way this game is attempting to do more than most other games in terms of multi player. 

THIS.

Theseday players can easily level up all the way to the lv cap without any group or social interaction, look at WoW, Rift or Champion online.

MMO now simply don't force players to group up in order to progress/level up, grouping become a matter of choice now.

No one criticize WoW for being a single player game , but when you put cut scenes and extensive storyline into you, all of the sudden it's not an mmo anymore, WTF.

You can group just fine in SWTOR (Heroic/Flashpoint/OpenWorld), just like in WoW or almost any MMO .

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Commandos only.

Commandos are utterly delicious.  You're going to love them.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Just another Wow in space with voice overs, no thanks, I want something that lets me decide how I develop a avatar not some Bioware programmer.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Just another Wow in space with voice overs, no thanks, I want something that lets me decide how I develop a avatar not some Bioware programmer.

Not WoW in space, no matter how hard or how often you try to paint it as such.  You do Bioware a great disservice in saying that kind of tripe.  It's perfectly fine if you don't like the direction of their game, but don't you dare call it something it is not and it is most definitely not WoW in space!

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by stealthbr

Unless you can prove otherwise, I would say he is a lot more qualified to make an assessment on the game than you are. Don't let your emotions cloud your judgement. You need to experience the game for yourself before you can formulate a rational evaluation.

That also apply for all the positive replys right they also dont know shit about game but already have there opinion that game is awesome with ZERO EXPERIENCE.

NUFF SAID HEHE.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Originally posted by Biggus99

Originally posted by Suave

Still not sure how this game supposedly appeals to "Star Wars Fans".  Especially ones of the Original Trilogy.

Skiiiiiiiiip.

You don't know how a game that is called, "Star Wars:  The Old Republic," is based on Star Wars lore, in the Star Wars setting, consisting of 17 Star Wars planets, and is full of Star Wars features (lightsabers, Wookies, space stations, The Force, etc) would be appealing to Star Wars fans?  Really?

What he means is how will this game appeal to the disgruntled WSG vets and sandbox lovers who just can't accept the fact that SW TOR isn't SWG II.

They'll let go eventually. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

The smuggler seems to be the class to play if you want to have some semblance of difference in gameplay style compared to other games.

This is not a game.

• camil82camil82 Member UncommonPosts: 50

first off all MMO games existed before WOW was on market. next thing if you look back how 

much wow has stolen or copied from other games then we could say wowo is a clone from many  other mmos. but ofcourse there will always be wow fanboys around to flame about 

other mmos that they are wow clones. games at late can have similar concepts to something but this game if it has any has at minimum to do anything this WoW.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by forest-nl

Originally posted by stealthbr

Unless you can prove otherwise, I would say he is a lot more qualified to make an assessment on the game than you are. Don't let your emotions cloud your judgement. You need to experience the game for yourself before you can formulate a rational evaluation.

That also apply for all the positive replys right they also dont know shit about game but already have there opinion that game is awesome with ZERO EXPERIENCE.

NUFF SAID HEHE.

So you would agree that the only people who should be taken seriously are the ones who have played the game, correct?  Then I wonder why you posted this on another thread:

If your read both previews you see obvious one is pro starwars and not objective and other one clearly shows its not for those who like more open mmo and don't wanne watch a mmo but wanne play plus to muc hold hand.

The sandbox preview SAYs it ALL  swtor is crappy mmo.

Sounds to me like you may be changing your stance to suit your argument.  

{mod edit - removed copied formatting to make post visible}

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Originally posted by BadSpock

Not really any spoilers in any of the pieces on this site.

I've just read them all.

Nearly 100% positive.

Very, very good to hear.

Smuggler preview says it best - if you are not looking for a story driven Bioware game with excellent (yet standard) MMO features then this game is not for you.

Just something worth mentioning before the trolls/haters invade this thread.

I maybe could get excited like everyone else and run around arms flailing in tight circles really fast while pee-peeing my pants except for the statement above.