Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have amazing ideas?

OriousOrious O''Fallon, ILMember Posts: 548

Well, why not put them down on paper?

A few days ago I created a forum: http://makemymmo.forumotion.com/

I've always had some ideas that I'd like to see in mmos, but while I do have the ability to learn how to create 3D graphics and program, I'm pretty newb at it (the logo was made by me in Blender though  :D).

In this forum, you can post your favorite MMO ideas and allow people to see and discuss them in as constructive a setting as possible. I know this will be hard, but try to remove biases from criticism....don't be afraid to poke at the moderators for biases as well.

So if you and your friends have been discussing mmorpg ideas, feel free to (if you don't care that this is a public site that anyone can have access to) post on the forum.

The more people that post.... the more it'll be seen and the more future developers might care what we, the community, thinks.

Keep in mind.... the less negative you are, the higher the possibility is that someone will read and take into account what you say.

~Have fun!

Comments

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz La Puente, CAMember Posts: 865 Uncommon

I would love an MMO where I could play and Aiel, Live in the Aiel waste, Join a society and fight the minions of the Dark one. 

• DisdenaDisdena Troy, NYMember Posts: 1,093 Uncommon

I applaud your initiative but I don't have very high hopes for it. There is an excess of amateur designers who like to push amazing features but none of them seem to understand that a game is more than the sum of its features. Basically, no matter how good an idea is, you cannot possibly shove it into any MMO and expect that it will work. More to the point, good features do not make a game good; if someone makes a game that uses all the best ideas of an MMO community, the end result isn't going to be a good game. Cactus-Man had a pretty insightful post about vision over individual features and mechanics in Developers Corner, where—sorry to say—someone tries what you are trying on something like a weekly basis.

• JoliustJoliust stoughton, WIMember Posts: 1,329

More over, a good idea is only as good as it's implemented. That's where things really break down in amateur MMO productions.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Stow, OHMember Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by Disdena

I applaud your initiative but I don't have very high hopes for it. There is an excess of amateur designers who like to push amazing features but none of them seem to understand that a game is more than the sum of its features. Basically, no matter how good an idea is, you cannot possibly shove it into any MMO and expect that it will work. More to the point, good features do not make a game good; if someone makes a game that uses all the best ideas of an MMO community, the end result isn't going to be a good game. Cactus-Man had a pretty insightful post about vision over individual features and mechanics in Developers Corner, where—sorry to say—someone tries what you are trying on something like a weekly basis.

To me...it is better to have amateur designers with an emotional and passionate drive that fail, learn from their mistakes and perfect there visions through lots of trial and error and eventually succeed than to have tons of professional designers all following the same bland cookie cutter path all in the name of money solely.

• wyndstrykerwyndstryker Toronto, ONMember Posts: 7

Personally I want to see MMO's throw away the whole Level concept...But thats just me =/

• eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABMember Posts: 3,313 Uncommon

I went and completed a few different conceptual write-ups for MMO design and have them sitting at home slowly getting old. I put a lot of work into them, and it drives me crazy seeing them do nothing. However, I don't have the time in pursuing things to the next step, but yet I don't want to just give my work away either.  Some days I wish I never started.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• redpinsredpins Clovis, CAMember Posts: 147

I have amazing ideas, amazing to me and others. To go as far as to dump them on a fly-by-night forum no. My blog has amazing ideas, not in depth, but still amazing. Execution is the key to these ideas as some will say. As for design, limitations will cause some of my ideas to get scratched.

I struggle not with life, money, emotions, and world, but against old mindsets and selves to be proven obsolete in a age and time of rapid changes. Go create fun, so you can have fun.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Trenton, MIMember Posts: 684

I want an MMO for adults.

#1. Complexity.

#2. Gore, e.g., falling limbs, spraying blood, and rolling heads.

#3. Deep crafting

#4. World housing

#5. Seemless worlds.

#6. Gigantic worlds.

#7. Player driven economy.

#8. Mix N' Match skills and classes

#9. Randomized item stats.

#10. Secondary play, e.g., space flight, boats, ships, air travel

#11. Deep character creation. If I want to be fat, I can be fat. If I want to be skinny, I can be skinny.

#12. Sex. Yup. I said it. If players want to hump, they should be able to.

#13. REMOVAL OF BATTLEGROUNDS and every form of PVP REWARD

#14. World PvP

#15. High-speed mounts. Getting tired of horse speeds that are +5 over basic run speed. This is because of the tiny worlds in the today's MMOs.

#16. SIMPLE DESKTOP ICON TO LOAD GAME. No more Steam / EA Origin / SOE Game loader...   so lame having to look at more bs advertising when I just want to play the game I bought.

#17. NO MICRO-TRANSACTIONS, PRE-ORDER Rewards, Convention Exclusives, Cross-Promotion Items, or CE item rewards.

#18. No NICKEL & DIMING.

#19. No "I'm a unique hero who is doing the same exact quest as EVERY OTHER PLAYER"

#20. No invisible walls.

#21. CAN I PLEASE CLIMB A DAMN TREE, ROCK, or WALL? Seriously. I'm a hero. I can't even climb a fallen log?

#22. No more 22 year old devs right out of college... What we end up getting are console ports and joke gameplay, e.g., STARFOX SPACE CONTENT FOR SWTOR. Don't make me laugh. What a joke.

#23. No facebook, myspace, twitter, or any other form of SOCIAL BACTERIA integrated into my game.

Devs and investors are cowards.

• sakersaker harrisburg, PAMember Posts: 1,082 Uncommon

well said!

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Seattle, WAMember Posts: 309

People playing the game at wages for factions to give the game a sense of persistence.

As in hiring a few hundred to play Necrons as a faction in a warhammer 40k mmo.  Blur the line between pve and pvp.

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

• JoliustJoliust stoughton, WIMember Posts: 1,329

Originally posted by precious328

#1. Complexity.
    #3. Deep crafting
    #4. World housing
    #5. Seemless worlds.
    #6. Gigantic worlds.
    #11. Deep character creation. If I want to be fat, I can be fat. If I want to be skinny, I can be skinny.
    #14. World PvP
    #15. High-speed mounts. Getting tired of horse speeds that are +5 over basic run speed. This is because of the tiny worlds in the today's MMOs.
    #16. SIMPLE DESKTOP ICON TO LOAD GAME. No more Steam / EA Origin / SOE Game loader...   so lame having to look at more bs advertising when I just want to play the game I bought.
    #17. NO MICRO-TRANSACTIONS, PRE-ORDER Rewards, Convention Exclusives, Cross-Promotion Items, or CE item rewards.
    #18. No NICKEL & DIMING.
    #19. No "I'm a unique hero who is doing the same exact quest as EVERY OTHER PLAYER"
    #20. No invisible walls.
    #21. CAN I PLEASE CLIMB A DAMN TREE, ROCK, or WALL? Seriously. I'm a hero. I can't even climb a fallen log?
    #22. No more 22 year old devs right out of college...

Devs and investors are cowards

I agree with all except world housing. I love world housing but I hate the fields of houses that spring up. If a developers could avoid that eventually happening in a natural way I would appreciate it. I wouldn't mind apartments buildings that you rent an instanced room from.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• OriousOrious O''Fallon, ILMember Posts: 548

Originally posted by redpins
    I have amazing ideas, amazing to me and others. To go as far as to dump them on a fly-by-night forum no. My blog has amazing ideas, not in depth, but still amazing. Execution is the key to these ideas as some will say. As for design, limitations will cause some of my ideas to get scratched.
    Yes that's the point... don't post it if you don't want it public.

I applaud your initiative but I don't have very high hopes for it. There is an excess of amateur designers who like to push amazing features but none of them seem to understand that a game is more than the sum of its features. Basically, no matter how good an idea is, you cannot possibly shove it into any MMO and expect that it will work. More to the point, good features do not make a game good; if someone makes a game that uses all the best ideas of an MMO community, the end result isn't going to be a good game. Cactus-Man had a pretty insightful postabout vision over individual features and mechanics in Developers Corner, where—sorry to say—someone tries what you are trying on something like a weekly basis.

I'm not trying to make an mmo. I just have ideas that I'd rather post publicly than keep in my head forever. That's basically all that it is to it. Join or not. Do I know how to create the "mechanics" that are involved in the type of game I'd like to create? Yes... actually I have enough programming experience and 3D modelling experience that says X is possible. I had a trial proof of concept for a couple things on Blender for goodness sake (yes an mmo/server ecology creates other challenges), but my hard drive blew up. It's all about costs. While some games are spending so much money getting Voiced content (and improving already proven methods), I'd spend that money developing new/innovative systems.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member Posts: 10,373 Rare

Originally posted by Goatgod76

To me...it is better to have amateur designers with an emotional and passionate drive that fail, learn from their mistakes and perfect there visions through lots of trial and error and eventually succeed than to have tons of professional designers all following the same bland cookie cutter path all in the name of money solely.

Even as a designer fond of pointing out the flaws in others' ideas, I wholeheartedly agree with this.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ClassicstarClassicstar rotjeknorMember Posts: 2,661 Uncommon

#1. Complexity.
    #3. Deep crafting
    #4. World housing
    #5. Seemless worlds.
    #6. Gigantic worlds.
    #14. World PvP
    #18. No NICKEL & DIMING.
    #20. No invisible walls.
    #22. No more 22 year old devs right out of college... What we end up getting are console ports and joke gameplay, e.g., STARFOX SPACE CONTENT FOR SWTOR. Don't make me laugh. What a joke.
    #23. No facebook, myspace, twitter, or any other form of SOCIAL BACTERIA integrated into my game.

I agree almost with all your points, only point i dont realy agree with is high speed mounts, i hate fast traveling in games for me it should be realistic.

Some other featers i would love seeing in your list is dynamic mob spawns and they realy roaming the world with there own life cycles, not just stand there like a WAX museum wait to be slaughtered this offcorse also counts for NPCs and dynamic weather system also deformation of world so you could have earthquakes, floods, vulcanos, erupting or tornados ext.

Change world constantly keep also exploration fresh and new and rebuild constantly we would never be bored hehe.

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 11 HBM2)
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• DisdenaDisdena Troy, NYMember Posts: 1,093 Uncommon

#1. Complexity.
    #3. Deep crafting
    #4. World housing
    #5. Seemless worlds.
    #6. Gigantic worlds.
    #14. World PvP
    #18. No NICKEL & DIMING.
    #20. No invisible walls.

This is a pretty good example of what I mean when I warn against laundry lists of features that don't fit together into a coherant game. Even ignoring for a second that none of these features particularly describe an "MMO for adults" (the sex and severed limbs are particularly adolescent), that's not a strong enough theme to tie things together in the sense of creating themed gameplay.

Just as an example, lemme point out #6 and #21. You want a huge world where trees can be climbed and walls can be scaled. Great! A game that promotes exploration, where only those who stray from the beaten path learn the world's secrets and know the truly fastest way from point A to point B. A game that encourages you to wonder "what's over there?" and take the time to go find out. But then you throw in #10 and #15. Air travel and high-speed mounts. You are flat-out contradicting the wild explorable world concept. If you can fly or race around at 8x run speed on a mount, climbing over rocks and logs is never going to be the fastest way to go. You will always feel like you're dragging your feet whenever you're hoofing it sans hooves.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member Posts: 3,048 Uncommon

*Browses forums* Oh hey look at that idea! *Steals idea and profits off someone else's idea for a game* Granted thats pretty much been happening in games and movies and the likes for a good length of time already.

Starting as child and slowly grow up and even have offspring would be nice.

Get rid of all the numbers, instead we become stronger by mind/knowledge, stronger body or playing smart, but not by lvls and numbers.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Phoenix, AZMember Posts: 2,953 Common

Those aren't amazing ideas, just minor variations on WOW.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Stow, OHMember Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by Axehilt

Originally posted by Goatgod76

Even as a designer fond of pointing out the flaws in others' ideas, I wholeheartedly agree with this.

The world is officially on the brink of destruction! Axehilt and I agree on something! =P

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Trenton, MIMember Posts: 684

#1. Complexity.
    #3. Deep crafting
    #4. World housing
    #5. Seemless worlds.
    #6. Gigantic worlds.
    #14. World PvP
    #18. No NICKEL & DIMING.
    #20. No invisible walls.

This is a pretty good example of what I mean when I warn against laundry lists of features that don't fit together into a coherant game. Even ignoring for a second that none of these features particularly describe an "MMO for adults" (the sex and severed limbs are particularly adolescent), that's not a strong enough theme to tie things together in the sense of creating themed gameplay.

Just as an example, lemme point out #6 and #21. You want a huge world where trees can be climbed and walls can be scaled. Great! A game that promotes exploration, where only those who stray from the beaten path learn the world's secrets and know the truly fastest way from point A to point B. A game that encourages you to wonder "what's over there?" and take the time to go find out. But then you throw in #10 and #15. Air travel and high-speed mounts. You are flat-out contradicting the wild explorable world concept. If you can fly or race around at 8x run speed on a mount, climbing over rocks and logs is never going to be the fastest way to go. You will always feel like you're dragging your feet whenever you're hoofing it sans hooves.

I understand what you're saying.

However, when I mean gigantic worlds, I mean GIGANTIC.

I'm not talking about instant travel here. I would like a horse to move as fast a real horse - but with realistic fatigue etc. The world must be so big that it would take same amount of time to traverse it by horse/mount as it would traversing Vanguard's world by foot.

Distant places need to feel distant.

• SorrowSorrow St Pete, FLMember Posts: 1,195

Instead of high speed mounts, just give us the option to gallop, but if you push your mount to far you can pull them up lame or even ride them to death. Lame would be very cool because then you would be walking until your mount healed.

Along the lines of sex, I've always thought a genetics breeding program would be awesome.  Randomly assign every new player a random character to play, and you meet other players of the opposite sex with traits you want to breed into your children (ALTS).  Oh and a parent to child inherited skill system, like if Im an archer, my child would learn a portion of my archery skill before they become an adult, so when they start play their archery skill is more advanced than mine was when I started.

• hinge645hinge645 Brookline, NHMember Posts: 61 Uncommon

Gigantic worlds tend to be empty and boring. I don't want to hold down the move key for 20 minutes just to move to the next town. If there is stuff to do along the way, then yes! If there is nothing to do except watch the same scenery for 20 minutes no thank you.

Games need to be fun above all else. I know "fun" is subjective but do people really enjoy walking around in a barren wasteland?

Before I criticize a man, I walk a mile in his shoes.
    That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
  • WarlyxWarlyx UnknowMember Posts: 1,897 Uncommon

Originally posted by hinge645

Gigantic worlds tend to be empty and boring. I don't want to hold down the move key for 20 minutes just to move to the next town. If there is stuff to do along the way, then yes! If there is nothing to do except watch the same scenery for 20 minutes no thank you.
    Games need to be fun above all else. I know "fun" is subjective but do people really enjoy walking around in a barren wasteland?

barren? no

i remember exploring "oblivion" wolrd for hours , discovring places ect ,i will do the same on skyrm! 

I remember exploring zones on EQ / FFXI / ect , IF there are thing to be discovered , because running around is fun , but when u discover a secret cave on a beach , inside there are cool mobs and in the end u find a treasure chest? thats cool

#1. Complexity.
    #3. Deep crafting
    #4. World housing
    #5. Seemless worlds.
    #6. Gigantic worlds.
    #14. World PvP
    #18. No NICKEL & DIMING.
    #20. No invisible walls.

I'm not talking about instant travel here. I would like a horse to move as fast a real horse - but with realistic fatigue etc. The world must be so big that it would take same amount of time to traverse it by horse/mount as it would traversing Vanguard's world by foot.

Great sig you have:)

• MendelMendel Marietta, GAMember Posts: 1,325 Uncommon

I will agree that distance isn't well represented in current MMOs, and that the feeling of distance should be something an MMO includes.

However, horses aren't significant;y a faster way to travel than a man on foot.  Mounts tire, just like people.  The biggest advantage of a horse is the possibility for a burst of speed to engage, disengage or evade something.  At best, a mounted rider can cover about 15-25% more distance than a walking man in a day.  A fit person might walk 20 miles in a day (a pretty good sustainable pace) and the mounted rider (without remounts) might make 25 miles in the same timeframe.  Over 1000 miles, the walker would take 50 days, while the rider would arrive in only 40 days.

Even as late as 1860, the Pony Express, which linked the eastern telegraph network to the western telegraph network, took almost  8 days to deliver the news of Lincoln's election to California.  The horse riders travelled from Fort Kearney, Nebraska to Fort Churchill, Nevada, a distance of about 1077 miles, but had frequent remounts and fresh riders to enable them to ride 24 hours a day.

For comparison, many people have been known to walk 1000 miles.  In 1851, a Brittish walker covered the 1000 miles in  just over 21 days (considerably faster than the 1000 miles in 1000 hours goal).  One of the faster 1000 miles was by New Zealander Sandra Barwick in 2009 in just over 13 days of running.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.