Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lift the sodding NDA!

Comments

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

And what is my motivation to look up the "proof" on when a game was released and when they lifted the NDA?

You are right about one thing, no one cares what we say except ourselves.

Well you are motivated enough to post what is clearly a generalization. You don't have to be motivated to prove you are right, but the lack of motivation certainly makes your  "facts" nothing more than conjecture.

Not trying to argue here, but some posters might believe such falsehoods. I however, remain neutral.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by ragz45

Many games have had the NDA in force untill the release of the game, never lifting it.  Some games go so far as to never lift it at all.  And those that were in the beta for the game are not allowed to talk about anything they experinced in the beta.

Along that same train of thought, Lucus Arts has always been well known for being very heavy handed with thier IP.  I would not suprise me at all if they were demanding that EA/Bioware leave the NDA in place. 

As far as the game being rubbish because the NDA is still in place, and them trying to milk pre-orders.  I can attest from the two conventions I've played the demo at, the game is very well done and adictive as hell.  I left both conventions with a cloud over my head, moping around that I wouldn't be able to play the game again untill release.  So much so that all of my current MMO"s were totaly ruined for me.  =(

How is that possible?

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Originally posted by ragz45

Many games have had the NDA in force untill the release of the game, never lifting it.  Some games go so far as to never lift it at all.  And those that were in the beta for the game are not allowed to talk about anything they experinced in the beta.

Along that same train of thought, Lucus Arts has always been well known for being very heavy handed with thier IP.  I would not suprise me at all if they were demanding that EA/Bioware leave the NDA in place. 

As far as the game being rubbish because the NDA is still in place, and them trying to milk pre-orders.  I can attest from the two conventions I've played the demo at, the game is very well done and adictive as hell.  I left both conventions with a cloud over my head, moping around that I wouldn't be able to play the game again untill release.  So much so that all of my current MMO"s were totaly ruined for me.  =(

How is that possible?

Heh... Jumpgate Evolution

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

That would be great, lol

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

They'll not lift the NDA.  If they did the truth would get out and they wouldn't be able to sucker people into buying it.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Stop preordering games for insane amounts of money before the NDA is lifted.

Originally posted by Teala

They'll not lift the NDA.  If they did the truth would get out and they wouldn't be able to sucker people into buying it.

And they are suckering people into buying this game how?  What, is it a Ponzi scheme?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Come on now Teala I expect a lot better from you!

NDA has nothing to do with "hiding" this game from the public.

Example-

We know for a fact from public releases that the item modification system was/is in a state of flux.

They have tried "nearly everything can be modded" and "very rare, few items can be modded" in the beta and based on player feedback they've begun to finalize the system.

They (Bioware) has said that this is what they do, release something and then pull it and re-release it totally different and gauge what the players like/don't like and arrive somewhere in the middle where they and the players are comfortable with.

This info is all from dev tracker on official, public forums for TOR BTW. I'm not in beta, no leaks here.

That is how they test the game, by actually testing.

This is why they say that they don't release anything until it is finalized.

With no NDA, you'd have people bitching up a storm about one way or another and then the system gets changed/finalized and all the bitching was worthless and did nothing positive for the game.

With no NDA, people who haven't played the game would be freely commenting on and trashing/hyping something they have NO clue how it actually worked.

NDA's are meant to keep stuff like that from the public, yes, but not to hide anything.

It's not hiding anything about the game to do your testing phases behind closed doors.

It'd be like a chef allowing people to try their newest food creation before it is ready - like the damn thing isn't even fully cooked yet. Of course some people are going to say it tastes awful. That's why you don't let people taste it before it's done cooking lol.

NDA will be lifted once everything is finalized, which will not happen until a few weeks before release.

Just like, oh I don't know, every MMO in history ever. :)

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

LOL, the truth is already out there.  And the truth is it's a very enjoyable and immersive game.  

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Have you watched the most recent videos from NYCC? There are plenty of things they still wish to be kept secret - so they can release info on Fridays and during events, and with new builds of the game being worked on, there is really no good reason for them to lift it.

Maybe they should send out a lot more betas, I'm for that :)

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

The reason they haven't lifted the NDA:

The game is still being worked on and changing.

Biggest mistakes of "common" MMO developers:

Dropping the NDA, having everyone talking about the game:   going into open beta and have everyone play that game,  then have a game changing day 1 patch and have a large group get pissed and leave.

What BioWare is doing:

Working on their game and having it tested over and over again by closed beta testers (such as myself) whilst receiving feedback and implementing fixes.    

Responding to said feedback and making changes accordingly.

Not dropping the NDA so that items that are not working properly or haven't been implemented yet don't float the net as "what is missing from SWTOR"  when it is currently being worked on.

Not dropping the NDA so that tons of conversations over what I've played, what my choices were, and where that took me 2 months before launch ensues.  

Patience is a virtue.  One of which MMO players seem to not have, even when they complain about how developers should have pushed back release,  etc.  

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

You mistyped "the truith would get out and the servers would crash at launch from everyone in the entire world trying to log in at the same time."

The real reason the NDA hasn't been lifted yet: The hype for this game would go into overload and they'd never be able to get enough servers up and running at launch.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by gobla

There is a great disturbance in the Fried Rice...

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

Thats "Flied Lice"...

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

As if millions of dogs cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced?

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

As if millions of dogs cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced?

Best part of going on a date at a chinese buffett is periodically going "meow" between bites.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Xondar123

You mistyped "the truith would get out and the servers would crash at launch from everyone in the entire world trying to log in at the same time."

The real reason the NDA hasn't been lifted yet: The hype for this game would go into overload and they'd never be able to get enough servers up and running at launch.

Euhm...isn't this why the following was said?

"During Gamescom, an EA BioWare representative explained during a demo of SWTOR that both physical and digital copies of the game will initially be in limited release. The publisher has an exact number in mind for that limit but is not sharing it publicly. What this means, of course, is if you have your heart absolutely set on getting in on the SWTOR experience at launch, it would be smart to pre-order right away."

So what other "real reason" could you have?

I don't care if they lift NDA or not. Many games do it just prior to launching, no?

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by Xondar123

You know there are other people in the world with other interests besides you own.

Funny though, not enough money to have enough servers, but plenty of money to make the game. Just think about that for a minute.

No one, including the people in beta, know why the NDA has not been lifted, with the exception of the people working on the game. Only they know when it will be lifted. Not much to discuss really.

As to the apologists, please get off the game theory (lesson) kick. I'm fairly sure, most readers here have been down the road more than once.

• BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

I recently listened to two podcast's, of the same show, one where they cast before ever playing, and then another after trying beta.

Amazing; the energy and excitement before trying the beta was so real, you could literally feel it, it was that palpable. Heck i almost broke down and preordered.

Then the show after trying the beta (to me) seemed forced, forcing the excitement for their shows sake and then announced that they wont be continuing the cast after the launch because they will be too busy playing. - OK?

My favorite part was their guest asked "tell me why i should play tor over any other mmo". Their answer was "it's voiced", that was it, period, end, no other reason than it's voiced.

Then the guy goes on to explain how amazing questing is. The quest he described is (get this) go get 10 whatever; but hang on one minute there's more, he went on to tell the guest that "it meant so much more because it was voiced", then he states "i mean it's still kill ten x and fed x quests but it means so much more than any other mmo because they voiced it." - OK?

That was pretty much all 3 or 4 of them could convinced the guest with? So to answer the question, i doubt very much the NDA will be lifted before December 20th.

Originally posted by rt33

I recently listened to two podcast's, of the same show, one where they cast before ever playing, and then another after trying beta.

Amazing; the energy and excitement before trying the beta was so real, you could literally feel it, it was that palpable. Heck i almost broke down and preordered.

Then the show after trying the beta (to me) seemed forced, forcing the excitement for their shows sake and then announced that they wont be continuing the cast after the launch because they will be too busy playing. - OK?

My favorite part was their guest asked "tell me why i should play tor over any other mmo". Their answer was "it's voiced", that was it, period, end, no other reason than it's voiced.

Then the guy goes on to explain how amazing questing is. The quest he described is (get this) go get 10 whatever; but hang on one minute there's more, he went on to tell the guest that "it meant so much more because it was voiced", then he states "i mean it's still kill ten x and fed x quests but it means so much more than any other mmo because they voiced it." - OK?

That was pretty much all 3 or 4 of them could convinced the guest with? So to answer the question, i doubt very much the NDA will be lifted before December 20th.

Why don't you post links to the podcast.

Originally posted by rt33

sounds like quality source material.

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

I think we've all misunderstood the title. I believe he meant the Sodding NDA in regards to this:

The Sodding NDA

Clearly, if Bioware is unwilling to speak to the root of the matter, we should tear them a new grass.

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 496

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I am also in beta,  mind pointing me to those videos you were laughing at there?

The NYCC vids, I think the links are still here on the site.

Originally posted by Warzod

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I am also in beta,  mind pointing me to those videos you were laughing at there?

The NYCC vids, I think the links are still here on the site.

I did see the panel videos before and am re-watching them,  not really sure what you were talking about specifically.  I didn't find anything misleading.

This discussion has been closed.