Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game will end up the same as rift

Comments

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Originally posted by gobla

Originally posted by nerovipus32

some people like to make their own story hence why the elder scrolls is so popular.

I was unaware the two were mutually exclusive.

Must be some weird genetic mutation allowing me to first enjoy a more linear story in Mass Effect and then turn around and create my own story in Fallout 3.

The point is MMORPG's have been too linear for far too long now. MMO's need to be split into two different genres.

I get what you want and I enjoy some freedom myself to, but there are a couple of things to remember: from the commercial point of view themeparks are a lot more successful than sandboxes, and in many themeparks you are not forced to follow the storyline quests.

Themepark or sandbox what I really want is a polished game to entertain me for at least some months, and that I believe SWTOR will accomplish.

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316

Originally posted by Xzen

Isn't Rift doing well?

Not really, Full servers were common 1 month after launch, fast forward 3 months Trion had to shut down nearly a half of the servers by making them into "trial" servers, now "Full" server is hardly seen even on weekend. So in short, RIFT's dying a slow death.

• marquisk2marquisk2 Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by hikaru77

Originally posted by Snoepie

i do agree when your into starswars thinks.. you must be exctited..

I had the same with warhammer.. and got turned down very hard.

But still what does this game innovate? combat looks very dull tbh

Warhammer was one of the biggest mistakes of EA, they just rush the game and all we got at launch was an unfinished beta, one more year of beta and  warhammer may have been a huge success. And maybe thats why swtor release go from a ¨spring 2011 release¨ to a december 20 (almost 2012) launch date. And i dont know why people keep saying that the combat is ¨dull¨, is the 1st MMO that i know or i have played with reactive combat, i didnt even  see that in gw2 so far, i mean in swtor u actually can dodge, parry and block blasters, swords, lighsabers etc, we wont see 2 guys moving their swords hitting the air, like the 99% of the MMO, and the insane amount of animations and moves that the chars have make the game looks like a star wars movie.  Did you see at least the last ¨sig of war trailer¨ ? if you did, plz tell me how the combat is dull.  

I remembered watching a beta video where they were showing off their group questing abilities.  It looked nice at first and I noticed how the Jedi Consular was able to rip parts from underneath the ground and throw it at the enemy.  First time it looked cool, but when it's done over and over and over and over again the coolness fades .  Oh look they are ripping something out from the ground to throw at you.  Oh wait it's the same as last time.  I rather see the same particle effects going around the character  when casting then the same piece of grabage coming out from the ground.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

As someone who played RIFT from beta till quite a few months post-launch, I completely disagree.

These two games couldn't be more different. You really should do some research about the game, I'm quite confused as to why you even posted this thread in the first place, especially when you admit to knowing next to nothing about the game right in your opening post.

You managed to utilize the internet to get online, and post on some forums, what is stopping you from using a search engine to get information on the game? There are uncountable fansites and sources of info on this up-and-comer, I suggest you check them out.

Impossible to take this seriously.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Originally posted by SnarkRitter

Originally posted by Xzen

Isn't Rift doing well?

Not really, Full servers were common 1 month after launch, fast forward 3 months Trion had to shut down nearly a half of the servers by making them into "trial" servers, now "Full" server is hardly seen even on weekend. So in short, RIFT's dying a slow death.

That's one opinion.

Rift seems to be doing fine to me.  They way over built servers on launch day and have suffered from a predicable spreading out of population.  They had a huge launch, a predicable drop in population the first month, now it seems to be slowly gaining back players over time with new content and word of mouth.

Rift made a mistake releasing so many servers on launch.  That doesn't mean it's a dying game.

SW:TOR could do a lot worse than follow Rift's launch.

Originally posted by udon

That's one opinion.

Rift seems to be doing fine to me.  They way over built servers on launch day and have suffered from a predicable spreading out of population.  They had a huge launch, a predicable drop in population the first month, now it seems to be slowly gaining back players over time with new content and word of mouth.

Rift made a mistake releasing so many servers on launch.  That doesn't mean it's a dying game.

SW:TOR could do a lot worse than follow Rift's launch.

Eh, perharps I should mention that a month and a half to 2 months ago "Full" servers were uncommon but still not that rare, fans were still bragging about "Full" servers during primetime, now "Full" servers are nowhere to be found, and fans are bragging about "High" servers during prime time. So yes, I think it's suffice to say that RIFT's dying a slow death.

Don't mistake me for a RIFT hater, I do like RIFT(mostly because of Trion's dedication) but I'm not going to lie.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

1 of the main reasons this game WILL NOT fail is: the star wars franchise has the biggest fan base in the world and it only grows every day (if you don't count the ones who died in the mean time). You can try denying it, but you'd have do face the facts sometimes.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

People who don't like this game are just scared of it doing well because everyone else will be playing and loving it and they'll still be all emo because they aren't "part of the masses."

It's just like WoW...

It's totally cool to hate on WoW because you are one of the few people not playing the game.

So everyone busts out the crystal ball and tells us TOR is going to fail or some other garbage because they don't want to play it, not because it will actually do poorly.

I've seen this thread... 3,987,492,874 times over the past 3 years.

No when ever wins, we all just waste a lot of time.

Originally posted by korent1991

1 of the main reasons this game WILL NOT fail is: the star wars franchise has the biggest fan base in the world and it only grows every day (if you don't count the ones who died in the mean time). You can try denying it, but you'd have do face the facts sometimes.

I believe that I've read somewhere that Star Wars: Galaxies is shutting down this november.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I believe that I've read somewhere that Star Wars: Galaxies is shutting down this november.

Yep, because it can't compeete with SWTOR, and since having 2 games would mean loss of money for SWG and LA they've decided to shut it down. Why'd you think it's shutting down just a little less than a month before SWTOR release date? :)

And for a sandbox game it had a really long run thanks to the fans.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

after being online for 8 years....

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

This is like the 50th copy of the same thread on this site...

Please people, read about the game before you post. If you don't like everything you see, fine. Don't play it.

Originally posted by Silax

SWG was online AND with a sub fee for 8 years...

That's pretty much a huge success.

Yep, because it can't compeete with SWTOR, and since having 2 games would mean loss of money for SWG and LA they've decided to shut it down. Why'd you think it's shutting down just a little less than a month before SWTOR release date? :)

And for a sandbox game it had a really long run thanks to the fans.

I don't know, I believe that from what I've read, SWG wasn't doing so hot before the news of getting shut down. Also there's a little MMO called Clone Wars Adventures, I don't remember ever reading the news of it getting shutdown.

Originally posted by BadSpock

Milking fans that wouldn't lose hope of eventually seeing a "classic" server one day does not equal a "huge success".

Far from it.

Originally posted by Kost

Milking fans that wouldn't lose hope of eventually seeing a "classic" server one day does not equal a "huge success".

Far from it.

I don't think SWG survived all of this time on hope and dreams.

People actually still very much enjoyed the game and continue to play and sub for years, obviously.

But believe what you will.

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

Far from it.

That depends on your point of view (SOE vs. the subscribers)

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Far from it.

People actually still very much enjoyed the game and continue to play and sub for years, obviously.

I agree with this statement. The majority of people that I know that played SWG wasnt playing just the game, but were there for roleplaying and creating there own stories with in th SW universe that the game offered.

Far from it.

Some people most definitely did continue to play because they enjoyed the game, no doubt about that.

However, that still doesn't qualify it as a huge success, especially when there is so much contradictory evidence that proves otherwise.

Anyways, we're getting off topic, this thread isn't about SWG.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Really there's only 2 reasons I'll be getting this game:

1. It's Star Wars...I have Star Wars bed sheets for crying out loud...in my attic :P

2. It's BioWare.  I have almost every single BioWare game since Neverwinter Nights (original was better, but BioWare's is still fun and I play it every once in awhile.)

Some people most definitely did continue to play because they enjoyed the game, no doubt about that.

However, that still doesn't qualify it as a huge success, especially when there is so much contradictory evidence that proves otherwise.

Anyways, we're getting off topic, this thread isn't about SWG.

It is very relavent as we are talking about the pull of the Star Wars brand.

What evidence?

Because many people left due to the NGE/CU and such?

Enough people stayed and continued to support the game and pay their monthly fee to keep the game running for 8 years.

That's pretty much the definition of success in this genre, no denying that.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

But is not enough, If the MMO doesnt have quality content, it will fail and it doesnt matter if we are talking about a star wars mmo or not, but good for us, swtor will have an insane amount of quality content, and thats why  we wont see that game fail

That's pretty much the definition of success in this genre, no denying that.

That's subjective, I've made a thread about this subject on this website about a year ago and more than half of the votes didn't agree with your definition of success.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Gravarg

Really there's only 2 reasons I'll be getting this game:

1. It's Star Wars...I have Star Wars bed sheets for crying out loud...in my attic :P

2. It's BioWare.  I have almost every single BioWare game since Neverwinter Nights (original was better, but BioWare's is still fun and I play it every once in awhile.)

When Jedi can't become Sith after picking up enough dark side points the "It's Star Wars..." sounds quite hollow. It would be too much work to really make it feel like Star Wars. The combat at lower level doesn't feel like Star Wars at all, there is some hope for high level combat but after huttball I'd say not much.

That leaves "It's Bioware". Let's hope it's enough of a story to keep the train going.

imageimage
  • MizzmoMizzmo Member UncommonPosts: 133

Originally posted by Snoepie

To be honest i really have no idea why this game so high in rating..

On the other Hand every big game company who releases a game is overhyped tho..

What does this game gives?

Basic Questing

Tab target

housing?? I don't know?

Video's : Combat looks really dul ( youtube movies)

Can maybe any one explain to me: why this game is getting so much attention?

2 reasons. It's Bioware making it, and it's Star Wars. That is it. Otherwise it's essentially a WoW knockoff.

This discussion has been closed.