Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game will end up the same as rift

Comments

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

In my view, the one thing that will set it apart from Rift will be replayablility. Class quests will be different for all classes but with Rift it was rinse and repeat. As I got 6 months out of Rift i should get 6 months 0ut of SWTOR, then I will try The Secret World.

On a side note, after playing BFBC2 for a couple of months then going back to Rift this weekend for thr free weekend, I found MMO PvP boring as hell with hardly any tactics. I hope I'm not like that in TOR, may just have to PvE on MMOs and PvP in FPSs.

• BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

I think the mmo market spilled into the single player market a little too much. What i mean by this is that many people will grab this game, play for a few months and move on to another game, whether is be single player or another mmo.

A long term commitment isn't what they are after, it's something they will play until the novelty wears off, same with single player games, if the new car smell lasts long enough they will finish the the single player game, if not they will move on to another game of either genre.

Problem with this for swtor is the bigger they are the harder they fall impression this is going to be stamped on this game a month or two after launch.

Obviously some players out there are going to love it and stick with it, just like Rift, but most will move on to <insert new game here> and or back to wow (the old comfort zone game).

Nothing wrong with these people it's strictly the entertainment rush they crave and they don't research games either, marketing and hype brings it across their radar and they buy it for the next entertainment rush.

A very good example of this was the launch announcement and details on monthly pricing, most Facebook and Tweets were "I didn't know this was an online game", "whats this monthly fee thing" the reason for this is the people interested are Bioware fans and assumed it was a single player game.

It's great that "everything" is voiced and for me personally that is awesome, however only awesome when I'm in the mood, i've played KOTOR  1 and 2 through several times, ME and ME2, Jade empire once and DA once, never touched DA2 and not once did i ever continually play them for weeks on end, and the best thing about it was it was my world my decisions and no one else around in my world running around ruining that experience. When i felt like mmo i would go play an mmo for the online experience and when i wanted story i would go back and play a single player story.

I truly don't believe these two worlds are going to meld together as much people believe it will. Tac a monthly fee for this on top, and for allot of gamers out there that is a guaranteed no deal.

• marquisk2marquisk2 Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by mbd1968

In my view, the one thing that will set it apart from Rift will be replayablility. Class quests will be different for all classes but with Rift it was rinse and repeat. As I got 6 months out of Rift i should get 6 months 0ut of SWTOR, then I will try The Secret World.

On a side note, after playing BFBC2 for a couple of months then going back to Rift this weekend for thr free weekend, I found MMO PvP boring as hell with hardly any tactics. I hope I'm not like that in TOR, may just have to PvE on MMOs and PvP in FPSs.

Class quests are only about 15% of the quests so the rest will be the exact same thing. Rinse and repeat.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by gobla

Originally posted by Torgrim

Dosent matter if even Earl Jones do the evil voiceovers the gameplay itself was boring as hell.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

seriously a story will not make a boring kill 10 rats quest more exciting.

That's the thing, for some of us story does matter.

I don't think the gameplay in say Dragon Age is anything close to amazing. I think the gameplay in say KotOR is, compared to modern games, downright boring. I still think both games are quite amazing.

How well this will carry over for a MMO we'll have to see but I do know one thing:

Everytime I've had to choose between mediocre gameplay and great story or great gameplay and mediocre story I've chosen the first and never regretted it.

Story does not make gameplay better! you can delude yourself into thinking that it does all you like..but it doesn't.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

It's Star Wars.  So no it won't end up the same as Rift. 

One has a strong story with lore that many people care about and the other is Rift...

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

Dosent matter if even Earl Jones do the evil voiceovers the gameplay itself was boring as hell.

I don't think the gameplay in say Dragon Age is anything close to amazing. I think the gameplay in say KotOR is, compared to modern games, downright boring. I still think both games are quite amazing.

How well this will carry over for a MMO we'll have to see but I do know one thing:

Everytime I've had to choose between mediocre gameplay and great story or great gameplay and mediocre story I've chosen the first and never regretted it.

Story does not make gameplay better! you can delude yourself into thinking that it does all you like..but it doesn't.

And yet games like Baldurs Gate is held in very high esteem despite having gameplay bordering on the unplayable.

(And yes, that was also my view back when it came out, didn't stop me from having a splendid time due to, you guessed it, the story.)

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

The bottom line is. Good or Bad, It Will be a hit because it has the Star Wars Name. Nothing more. Every Star Wars nerd will throw their money at it because of the name.

Look at the Movies. SW Epp4 Great {For its time} SW Epp 5 Good, SW Epp 6 OK.

SW Epp 1 Blew {JarJar, and didnt even follow the storyline}, SW Epp 2 Horrid Acting, SW Epp 3 Thank god its over.

All hits because of Star Wars Nerds. This will be NO different.

This Game will be a hit, Good or Bad.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

I'm not saying it does.

I'm saying a good story makes for an enjoyable experience, even if the gameplay is only mediocre.

I'm not buying games for the gameplay. I'm buying games to have fun, regardless of where this fun comes from.

Good stories in an interesting interactive medium like gaming are, in my opinion, fun.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

Not only that, but Baldur's Gate was using the old AD&D system which required an advanced degree in mathematics to figure out.   I'm pretty sure half the people who played the game were D&D players before hand and the other half are still trying to figure out what THACO meant.

Originally posted by Thekandy

And yet games like Baldurs Gate is held in very high esteem despite having gameplay bordering on the unplayable.

(And yes, that was also my view back when it came out, didn't stop me from having a splendid time due to, you guessed it, the story.)

yes but they dont release the same baldurs gate game every year now do they?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I really should come up with a stock answer for the guys with crystal balls.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

some people like to make their own story hence why the elder scrolls is so popular.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Originally posted by Aguitha

I got bored in Beta, not beacuse of the bugs but the sleeping pill gameplay.

Same thing.  I played maybe 5 hours during the whole beta weekend.  It felt and played way too similar to WOW or Rift, gameplay that i'm sick and tired of.   In SWTOR instead of having a quest to go kill 10 rats it's 10 space rats, nothing more.

Just a question to the both of you, genuine interest.

Did skip the dialogue? If not, did you actively follow and listen?

Lets face it, Bioware games tend to have great stories, but the thing that lets them shine is they are able to tailor gameplay in just the right way that it feels more dymanic. In an MMO, you NEED to incorperate more mundane tasks if you want people to exist in the same area, otherwise events will make little sense.  Having things phased will just make things more fumbled and having it all linear which story tends to best thrive on makes things lack luster for the MMO crowd. 

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

It can make gameplay better...for as long as story lasts. Problem: what to do when story runs out (be it during leveling/endgame).

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Not sure what point the OP is trying to make here . Rifts highly successful and polished while it may not match the success of Warcraft its still the most successful game since WoW was released seven years ago .

Having said that I'll bite . StarWars is the biggest franchise ever . This doesn't mean every StarWars game is good but it does automatically give it a huge potential audiance . But TOR is being produced by Bioware which are among the most highly respected developers around so what they produce should be good .

Early reports in the likes of PC gamer about the beta testing have all been possative as have those of people that have played demos of the game at trade shows . So what we are going to get looks like it will be an extremly polished product .

As to how TOR will compare to RIFT upon launch given its already broken all pre-order records for any mmo ( also let me point out people are not buying to try the game in beta because there is no guaranteed beta access only early access which you have to enter a code and set up a subscription to use so once to try you buy ) this means that well over a million people will be there in the first month .

In regards to content well pretty much every mmo has standard quest types  . Sadly its bound to get called " clone " for this by those too stupid to realise a genre of gaming always builds and evolves on what has gone before . These same idiots will play a first person shooter quite happily without calling it a Quake Clone . What StarWars TOR will bring to the table is an emphasis on the rpg side of the game I think . It also sounds like it will have space combat and sports in it .

Don't get me wrong I like Rift but I think StarWars could be the biggest thing ever in mmorpgs and if it really is as good as it appears to be then every subscription based MMO currently in existance has a lot to fear from it because it will decimate their user base . 

Originally posted by mikahr

It can make gameplay better...for as long as story lasts. Problem: what to do when story runs out (be it during leveling/endgame).

Then you replay as darkside/lightside.  It might not be the game you are looking for but it is for me.

some people like to make their own story hence why the elder scrolls is so popular.

I was unaware the two were mutually exclusive.

Must be some weird genetic mutation allowing me to first enjoy a more linear story in Mass Effect and then turn around and create my own story in Fallout 3.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

Originally posted by Thekandy

yes but they dont release the same baldurs gate game every year now do they?

And just there any further discussion became moot, you can't argue with someone who is dead set in their effort to hate something.

I'll leave you with this though, games in the same genre is going to be similar, from platformers to fps to mmorpgs, that is all.

Must be some weird genetic mutation allowing me to first enjoy a more linear story in Mass Effect and then turn around and create my own story in Fallout 3.

The point is MMORPG's have been too linear for far too long now. MMO's need to be split into two different genres.

must be  the x-gene

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

I think the IP and quality of the storytelling will keep a larger number than RIFT managed.

But yeah for the most part any WoW-modelled MMORPG that's coming out with a little hype will see the bloat, drop, rotating door cycle.

Adding interesting content will be key.

But yeah, the RIFT v TOR comparisons won't happen for long. 

We need a RIFTs mmo.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

The point is MMORPG's have been too linear for far too long now. MMO's needs to be split into two different genres.

And SWToR is horrible because it's not taking the side you personally prefer?

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by Snoepie

i do agree when your into starswars thinks.. you must be exctited..

I had the same with warhammer.. and got turned down very hard.

But still what does this game innovate? combat looks very dull tbh

Warhammer was one of the biggest mistakes of EA, they just rush the game and all we got at launch was an unfinished beta, one more year of beta and  warhammer may have been a huge success. And maybe thats why swtor release go from a ¨spring 2011 release¨ to a december 20 (almost 2012) launch date. And i dont know why people keep saying that the combat is ¨dull¨, is the 1st MMO that i know or i have played with reactive combat, i didnt even  see that in gw2 so far, i mean in swtor u actually can dodge, parry and block blasters, swords, lighsabers etc, we wont see 2 guys moving their swords hitting the air, like the 99% of the MMO, and the insane amount of animations and moves that the chars have make the game looks like a star wars movie.  Did you see at least the last ¨sig of war trailer¨ ? if you did, plz tell me how the combat is dull.  

The point is MMORPG's have been too linear for far too long now. MMO's needs to be split into two different genres.

And SWToR is horrible because it's not taking the side you personally prefer?

i never said swtor was horrible... i said story in my opinion doesn't make gameplay better..its still the same old system since everquest.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

"...you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Story changes everything. VO changes everything. Companions change everything...

This discussion has been closed.