Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game will end up the same as rift

Comments

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Originally posted by Snoepie

To be honest i really have no idea why this game so high in rating..

On the other Hand every big game company who releases a game is overhyped tho..

What does this game gives?

Basic Questing

Tab target

housing?? I don't know?

Video's : Combat looks really dul ( youtube movies)

Can maybe any one explain to me: why this game is getting so much attention?

People like it. I like it. I couldn't care less about any hype, though.

Rift couldn't hold me for long, but this is Star Wars, with Bioware NPC Interaction (Trademark? :P). That's a sure-buy for me.

That said, I couldn't possibly change your opinion, nor can I be bothered to. We'll just agree that we disagree.

Rift couldnt hold you long yet you are expecting the exact same game but with voice over acting falore to do the same thing.  What exactly is different from SWToR and Rift, they are the same exact game with different developers and different story but the gameplay, the style, the instances, the endgame, the pvp and everything is the same yet you think SWToR will hold you over.

Read the defenition of insanity sir.  You know the whole "doing the same thing ad naseum expecting a differing result".

Why will TOR hold someone that doesn't enjoy RIFT? Simply put the story and the presentation of said story. They refer to it as an extra pillar for a reason. I understand story may not mean a lot to some people but there are MANY of us that like the story and are drawn into it when presented in such an engaging way. Giving us choices about what to say and where to take a quest as well as learning why you are doing it is much more entertaining to some than reading a wall of text and clicking accept. 

The features in games like RIFT, WoW or any other themepark are perfectly acceptable but the innovation for TOR is the way these features are presented to the player. 

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Zylaxx

*snip*

Rift couldnt hold you long yet you are expecting the exact same game but with voice over acting falore to do the same thing.  What exactly is different from SWToR and Rift, they are the same exact game with different developers and different story but the gameplay, the style, the instances, the endgame, the pvp and everything is the same yet you think SWToR will hold you over.

Read the defenition of insanity sir.  You know the whole "doing the same thing ad naseum expecting a differing result".

Why do so many people wish for MMOs to fail. This is a lot worse than the FPS community, because all the do is say "my game is better than yours". Anyway we will only truly begin to know once SW:TOR is 3-6 months into release and has lost it's new game smell. Then we'll see how many of those, with their max leveled characters, will continue to pay to play the game for it's story and endgame activities. I personally will play the game for 2-3 months and no more, because that's all the time I need to play through all the content I care to play (maxing out 1 Republic & 1 Imperial).

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

The reason for the high rating is because:

1. The publishers probably have a huge amount of money to spend on selling their 'product'. I expect they are lavishing it one way or another on MMORPG.com.

2. It's a 'Star Wars' product so the interest and expectation is high.

I think Rift and SWTOR are both similar to WoW because they all share the same game mechanics, i.e. they are not sandbox and use missions and levelling.

• ShizaxxxShizaxxx Member Posts: 86

Why do people insist on Rift being a bad game that is a month away from server shutdown? It's one of the most popular mmorpg's atm (aparently not on this site), and if they keep giving us major updates once a month, it wont be long before it's big enough for people to play continually. 

Now to the real subject: SWTOR will do fine, not because the game will be groundbreaking, it will be a wow copy in a different environment, but it's still Star Wars.. Nothing new here, move along please.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

This game will end up the same as rift

Let's see.. Rift:

Solidly build AAA MMO. 

Near flawless launch.

Virtually no bugs.

Frequent updates upon launch.

Similar themepark experience to EQ2/WoW but with a few unique elements.

Rather shallow world built mostly around questing hubs.

1-50 mostly solo storyline progression.

Lack of endgame depth.

Lots of fun for 1-3 months of gameplay.

~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, now that  you mention it, i agree, I think SWTOR will end up a lot like Rift.  The main difference being that (hopefully) the storyline is a lot better written, because unlike Rift - which had dynamic events and an interesting class system - SWTOR doesn't have a whole lot to offer if it's story turns out to be as fail as Rift.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• MyGaronaMyGarona Member Posts: 139
    Repeat thread. Yet again . . .
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Basic Questing

Tab target

housing?? I don't know?

Because it's star wars, i thought that would be an obvious indication to the high ratings.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Basic Questing

Tab target

housing?? I don't know?

So Op, yo do realize that RIFT is not a failure right? I think enough people have said that here.

What else does SWTOR give you:

900 voice actors, 10,000 speaking characters!

8,000 novels of dialogue and stuff.

17 explorable worlds from the Star Wars universe. I hear Tatooine is massive.

No auto targeting

The cover system

Fully story based useful companion characters with deeper AI controls that any pet in previous MMOs that I have seen

You have sold this game short. ALso, if you note that the people who posted here who have actually played have said it is fun. People that I know that have played have said the combat is actually great and the vids don't do it justice.

Do I think SWTOR is going to revolutionize MMOs, maybe in some small ways, like I am not sure if I will be able to go back to a text based MMO again. Won't know until I have been playing though. Maybe a bit more of an evolution than revolution but the bottom line is it will be fun and more successful than the "successful' RIFT.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

This game actually doesn't look that bad. I personally wont bother because of the monthly fee. I'm 100% sure this will go freemium. But I think most people that like this game are just fans of star wars, bioware, or both. Theres not really anything in the game that makes it stand out.

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by jinxxed0

This game actually doesn't look that bad. I personally wont bother because of the monthly fee. I'm 100% sure this will go freemium. But I think most people that like this game are just fans of star wars, bioware, or both. Theres not really anything in the game that makes it stand out.

Other than the sheer size of the game and the amount of money they spent making it.  It might be a themepark, but you have to agree this will be more like Universal or Disney than some podunk county fair... and that, in it of itself, is reason enough for me to play it.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Shizaxxx

Why do people insist on Rift being a bad game that is a month away from server shutdown? It's one of the most popular mmorpg's atm (aparently not on this site), and if they keep giving us major updates once a month, it wont be long before it's big enough for people to play continually. 

Now to the real subject: SWTOR will do fine, not because the game will be groundbreaking, it will be a wow copy in a different environment, but it's still Star Wars.. Nothing new here, move along please.

...Because most posters (on this site) are old angry sandboxers, who feel that any game (no matter how successful) is a failure if it isn't tailor made for them.  Most of them don't care about numbers or facts.  They just 'know' that any game that isn't their sandbox is bad.

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

All the voice-overs and (possibly) good writing mean a lot less if the combat is not enjoyable.  Combat is just too big a part of the MMO timesink and must be enjoyable and challenging. Obviously not everyone can be pleased with combat, but from what I've seen it turns me off this game substantially. Unless I'm missing a big piece of the system, it looks like the type of hotbar combat that has been done-to-death in every game, even f2p's, these last few years.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by sn0wblind00

All the voice-overs and (possibly) good writing mean a lot less if the combat is not enjoyable.  Combat is just too big a part of the MMO timesink and must be enjoyable and challenging. Obviously not everyone can be pleased with combat, but from what I've seen it turns me off this game substantially. Unless I'm missing a big piece of the system, it looks like the type of hotbar combat that has been done-to-death in every game, even f2p's, these last few years.

SWTOR combat is a lot more interesting then you are going to be able to see watching videos of level 1-5 characters.

1. No auto attack - very "active" and fast paced.

2. Always fighting 2-3 enemies at once.

3. Have to use CC, healing, full range of abilities.

4. Companions - automatic or tightly control their every action.

5. Use companions to offset your class/spec's weakness.

6. Most of content after starter worlds is open-world and every planet has "Heroic" areas that require 2-3 players.

7. Some classes make use of new (genre first) cover mechanics.

Yes, you tab target. Yes, you have a hot bar full of skills.

Beyond that, it is quite a bit different.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I got bored in Beta, not beacuse of the bugs but the sleeping pill gameplay.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Originally posted by Torgrim

Same thing.  I played maybe 5 hours during the whole beta weekend.  It felt and played way too similar to WOW or Rift, gameplay that i'm sick and tired of.   In SWTOR instead of having a quest to go kill 10 rats it's 10 space rats, nothing more.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Aguitha

Same thing.  I played maybe 5 hours during the whole beta weekend.  It felt and played way too similar to WOW or Rift, gameplay that i'm sick and tired of.   In SWTOR instead of having a quest to go kill 10 rats it's 10 space rats, nothing more.

Just a question to the both of you, genuine interest.

Did skip the dialogue? If not, did you actively follow and listen?

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I almost truly hope that it will be just like Rift.

Trion supports Rift.

Trion is constantly putting out new items/events for Rift.

While not revolutionary, the gameplay introduced new elements that set my tinkering mix/max ideas a-going.

The only thing I hope is that the storyline is better (the much touted ToR storyline).  I found myself not reading the storyline in Rift after you were sent back in time.  THE MOMENT that you lose the setting/story aspect, the game was a grind.  ToR having active stories for EACH INDIVIDUAL character.  It makes my completionist heart stop.

How can I see all the possible branches?  I'd have to play 20 different  bounty hunters... and that's just one freakin class!  I will pick my one or two classes and play them like I would IRL.  Then I will take 1 or 2 classes and play them as anti-me as possible.  We'll see which I enjoy more...

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Do we get one of theses threads everyday? Will it end up the same as every other one?

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Originally posted by gobla

seriously a story will not make a boring kill 10 rats quest more exciting.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Originally posted by gobla

Dosent matter if even Earl Jones do the evil voiceovers the gameplay itself was boring as hell.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by dr4ygon

Same here, found it very hard to log in after only 3 days of playing the beta (played earlier on in the year) . Something really didn't click with me. Don't really wanna say too much more but it certainly wasn't what i was expecting.

Same here.  Boredom is the key word.  Wish it wasn't, but it is.

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Do we get one of theses threads everyday? Will it end up the same as every other one?

what you mean people giving their opinions? yes everyday.

• marquisk2marquisk2 Member Posts: 141

lol exactly just because it has some voice overs and some animation and it will magically make it awesome.  It's going to be the same as any other MMORPG with just fluff.  Also, how fun will it be going through the story again with an alt?  Sure you have options to choose for the story but seriously it's nothing new without the voice acting.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Dosent matter if even Earl Jones do the evil voiceovers the gameplay itself was boring as hell.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

seriously a story will not make a boring kill 10 rats quest more exciting.

That's the thing, for some of us story does matter.

I don't think the gameplay in say Dragon Age is anything close to amazing. I think the gameplay in say KotOR is, compared to modern games, downright boring. I still think both games are quite amazing.

How well this will carry over for a MMO we'll have to see but I do know one thing:

Everytime I've had to choose between mediocre gameplay and great story or great gameplay and mediocre story I've chosen the first and never regretted it.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Isn't Rift doing well?

This discussion has been closed.