Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Idea: Remove questing from MMORPG’s

Comments

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

oh good, another thread where people are essentially argueing over being left or right handed....

seriously, some people need quests for a frame for their play time, other people are more social and can things to do with other players. 

this debate cannot be won

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

even though the rat killing quests are grinders in disguise, its better do those than having an mmorpg with absolutely no quests.... you will be all by yourself in a world full of mobs.... what will you do? build a slaughterhouse and start the massacre the raw way in order to level up either character levels or combat skill training........

i remember when i used to play this game called Metin 2, i loved it for its combat and guild versus guild arena ... but after lvl 60 you dont have more quests so you have to grind your arse untill level 99..... not fun at all!!!!!!!!!!

although questing system could be better, they still ease the grinding pain (a bit)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by Nerf09

Like 8 million subscribers to minecraft, a game with a bunch of cubes.  They are more popular and successful than themepark games if 8 million+ players will settle with playing with a bunch of cubes.

If the 8 million subs is correct, this is major news.  Know of any place I can confirm this?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

Originally posted by rojo6934

even though the rat killing quests are grinders in disguise, its better do those than having an mmorpg with absolutely no quests.... you will be all by yourself in a world full of mobs.... what will you do? build a slaughterhouse and start the massacre the raw way in order to level up either character levels or combat skill training........

i remember when i used to play this game called Metin 2, i loved it for its combat and guild versus guild arena ... but after lvl 60 you dont have more quests so you have to grind your arse untill level 99..... not fun at all!!!!!!!!!!

although questing system could be better, they still ease the grinding pain (a bit)

Well.. 

There will always be quests. What the OP means is no "forced quests" or meaningless quests --> Quests that everyone does like a single palyer game.

Metin doesn't have enough depth to make no quests viable at all. What  a "no quest" game would include is something like city building that takes months to complete fully... city destruction so that when you lose a city you have to build it back up again... hidden areas that have bosses with cool items that you won't know their level, you'll have to either zerg it the first time or test it yourself.

He wants a game where the PLAYER's actions are the quest. Like in Metin after the quests are gone, your quest as a player is... kill monsters to level. The OP wants a game where the sole purpose of the game is to live in it... a "more fun" reality in other words. Metin is more of a grinder vs a themepark vs sandbox since Metin is less themepark than current themeparks and definitely not a sandbox.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Like 8 million subscribers to minecraft, a game with a bunch of cubes.  They are more popular and successful than themepark games if 8 million+ players will settle with playing with a bunch of cubes.

If the 8 million subs is correct, this is major news.  Know of any place I can confirm this?

I pulled that number out of my ass, I remember reading it somewhere around WOW number of subscriptions.  I was wrong it is now 10 million subscriptions to minecraft:  http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/04/minecraft-passes-ten-million-registered-users/ 

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Wurm Online has only one quest: survive.

Joined - July 2004

• ElricmerrenElricmerren Member Posts: 295

I can agree with you lath on that it kind was the same for me using small things from notes, to items with symbols that would later point the group towards the larger story over time, but it would all start with those small group things with goblins and knobots (damn them and their scorpion on a stick damn them), For the most part it is sad that the dexs do not have the ability to create a story and lore effect that acctually makes you want to investagate things as well as travel on your own like in D&D. They have saddly pretty flimsy stories as well as plots/plot twists that harm your desire to pay attention to the story.

I had always thought we should get a raid for low levels that would bring out the main villans for the areas where are fighitn and questing in after finsihing instances as well as uncovering their plots. THe raid would act as a social ass well as raid training tool for the game with it also being largely one of the best leveling tools at the level. The raid would explain in detail why they were doing what ever they were in or searching areas, such as revealing a relic or tome they found, and then revealing the people over them that are pulling the strngs. I loved forgotten realms for the sheer number of groups working against and with each other, with dozens of beings that hid from sight plling and affecting the wrold thru those group for that reason.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Quest needs to evolve, not eliminated

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

yeah i would like to see more quests that are avalible at only certain periods of time, or after certain quests finsih that then are deactivated after you pregress further as a way to keep it fresh. Give villages quests that vary by the hour of the day, as well as a rotation of quests that sift thru the quest givers each hour so that you never know what you will get, even put a mx on hwo many quests you can complete in a zone so you never trully knwo if you have seen them all. I loved the hidden quests in the middle of no where from mobs, statues, items that were found only by traveling and exploring. Also chain quests should unfold while you are out not have to be brought back till you have to travel to a new area imo.

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724

Hybrid themebox model.

- Quests but not in a single linear path. Intro quests at starter city and then others in clumps at various settlements or singly out in the wilds that you have to look for.

- Quests grey out and become unavailable to that character when you level past them.

- Alternate and incompatible routes e.g a town has two sets of three quests at level 6-10, one set for the merchants faction and one set for the thieves faction, completing the first quest for either side greys out the other set of quests for that character.

- quests could be more about faction than gear and faction can be about earning things which are currently automatic e.g getting friendly with a settlement allows the use of their bindstone, getting friendly with the river traders faction or the mages guild allows fast travel options, merchants at a settlement always initially give bad prices but fair prices when friendly etc friendly factions maybe give the location of a named mob with nice gear

(named mobs should be individually lootable by all the members of a group imo and also drop an item suited to each class e.g the same named minotaur drops an axe when looted by a warrior, a horn for a bard, a belt for a priest, a necklace for a mage etc, named mobs should drop special loot only once.)

- make it so there are gaps in the treadmill

- gaps in the levelling e.g the example set above, first quest at level 6, second at 8, third at 10, maybe a daily also for faction and exp, quests don't give enough to level, top up with mobs, make mobs give faction also e.g a rival thieves guild has mobs which give faction for both thieves and merchants depending on which side the character is allied too. Make it so the player isn't *just* mob grinding, although they can if they want, mobs are also either faction of crafting supplies as well as just exp.

- quest deserts. some gaps are multiple levels wide plugged with open dungeons e.g whole game has no quests between 16 and 20 but there are 2-4 open dungeons with mobs in that range (and maybe some quests internal to the dungeon). Then maybe the same again at levels 32-36.

- path quests e.g you can pick one path from a list like hunter, hero, explorer, loremaster etc and they have perks based on completing regular quests that are marked as part of that path e.g named beast mobs or quests to kill them could be marked as being part of the hunter path, the hero path would be similar but with named enemy mobs marked as part of the path (there could be different versions of these e.g a dark elf hero path and a dwarf hero path), the lore path could be to visit and study at libraries and ruins and wizard towers in the wilderness, explorer quests to complete exploration quests and visit locations etc. most of these quests would be the regular ones just marked as being part of a path although each path could also have their own signature quests that are unlocked as a player gains ranks in the path. Players could only pick one path and as quests would grey out as they leveled an elf ranger character on the hero path could have a very different gamefrom the same character on the hunter path.

- keywords, variety, replayability, worldiness

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

I don't think I'd play a game without quests.

That having been said, I'm not a big fan of the mindless repetitive quests we have today whose primary purpose is just to level. In my opinion quests should require a bit more thought than find the !, follow the arrow, kill, return to the !.

Originally posted by JC-Smith

I don't think I'd play a game without quests.

That having been said, I'm not a big fan of the mindless repetitive quests we have today whose primary purpose is just to level. In my opinion quests should require a bit more thought than find the !, follow the arrow, kill, return to the !.

That's all they're gonna be.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by lizardbones

MMORPG started without quests. Companies added quests and they made more money.

Yeah UO was 14 years ago. They are still up and running and still able to charge a monthly fee but the facts show the money is clearly in themeparks. 

AoC - oh wait...... they went free to play. 

DDO - oh wait...... they went free to play.

LotRO - oh wait..... they went free to play. 

STO - Oh wait......... they went free to play. 

DCUO - Oh wait....... they went free to play. 

CO - Oh wai........ they went free to play. 

Surely EQ2 - oh wait they went free to play. 

You know...... come to think of it. How many themeparks that have come along since EQ1 are still able to charge a monthly fee? How many flops have there been? People are clinging to games like DFO and MO because there really isn't any other option. EvE is doing well still though. 

So sure....... some have made more money by adding quests. Aion, WoW, Rift, EQ1.....

But most seem forced to either go free to play or shut down. 

yep....EVE is doing so well CCP just cut 20% of employees. /golfclap

You take away trading time cards for ingame money, and we will see where EVE would sit. EVE is the only sandbox to keep respectable numbers(250k plus)...yet they still cant top EQ from the 04 era, and WoW took it to another level. It is great some of you want to live a virtual life online. Would be nice if you would get it thru your thick craniums that the majority dont.

Pizz on sandboxes. Those wishing for a feline feces infested box should head over to Minecraft, as a legitimate AAA company knows better than to make a sandbox MMO.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• kastrixkastrix Member Posts: 75

Does anyone know of a mmorpg(combat based) oher than MORTAL ONLINE witch featuers no questing??

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Moaky07

Yeah UO was 14 years ago. They are still up and running and still able to charge a monthly fee but the facts show the money is clearly in themeparks. 

You know...... come to think of it. How many themeparks that have come along since EQ1 are still able to charge a monthly fee? How many flops have there been? People are clinging to games like DFO and MO because there really isn't any other option. EvE is doing well still though. 

So sure....... some have made more money by adding quests. Aion, WoW, Rift, EQ1.....

You take away trading time cards for ingame money, and we will see where EVE would sit. EVE is the only sandbox to keep respectable numbers(250k plus)...yet they still cant top EQ from the 04 era, and WoW took it to another level. It is great some of you want to live a virtual life online. Would be nice if you would get it thru your thick craniums that the majority dont.

Pizz on sandboxes. Those wishing for a feline feces infested box should head over to Minecraft, as a legitimate AAA company knows better than to make a sandbox MMO.

We apologise for our choice of games, and bow down before your evident intellect.

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Moaky07

We apologise for our choice of games, and bow down before your evident intellect.

You can have your games. Quit trying to force your gaming style onto ours.

Maybe if you guys had the backing to support sandbox games, more would be made. Instead, we are forced to listen to you guys bitch that X game isnt a sandbox.

Get over yourselves. Owen is a smoldering pile of bones....much like sandbox MMOs.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by kastrix
    Does anyone know of a mmorpg(combat based) oher than MORTAL ONLINE witch featuers no questing??

Planetside.

Planetside 2 may, but they willbe player created quests.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

Planetside, and WWIIONLINE, that's all I know.  Someone said WURM online but graphics and animation are ancient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHNlESYdxrg   (can't help)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzdQb9rIfi8  (protecting from)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1hVQ6SMGbQ&feature=related  (don't play easy mode)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gKzIMWFc0Y&feature=related  (nonstop airquake)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef5nhQjUR5I&feature=related (tanking action)  (this is using tactics, long range flank shots where armor is weaker)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjyIu_18-8Y&feature=related  (instant death lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-3Ww1QfvjU&feature=related  (stealth, the ability to kill enemy units 10 feet away from a tank that's completely immune to your pitiful rifle calibur weapon, can't be done in any other game)

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Planetside, and WWIIONLINE, that's all I know.  Someone said WURM online but graphics and animation are ancient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHNlESYdxrg   (can't help)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzdQb9rIfi8  (protecting from)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1hVQ6SMGbQ&feature=related  (don't play easy mode)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gKzIMWFc0Y&feature=related  (nonstop airquake)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef5nhQjUR5I&feature=related (tanking action)  (this is using tactics, long range flank shots where armor is weaker)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjyIu_18-8Y&feature=related  (instant death lol)

World of Tanks too (provided you consider that an MMO) and there are many others of similar nature.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard

Originally posted by Suraknar

World of Tanks too (provided you consider that an MMO) and there are many others of similar nature.

World of Tanks is lame.  You've got to Grind2Win and Pay2Win, the maps are claustrophobic, damage model and aiming is goofy, and tactics aren't even close to being as diverse as wwiionline/planetside.

An interesting PVP has an infinite variety of tactics.  World of Tanks is very limited.

Bad tactics in WWIIONLINE, dropping paratroops on top of anti-aircraft guns, in front of enemy tanks, you'd be surprised at how stupid the playerbase can be.  IN fact they do dumb things 90% of the time:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pw9oFwjygU&feature=related

"Why use paratroopers?"

"Cus dey look kool."

"Well dropping on top of the enemy isn't the greatest use of paratroopers."

"Thut Up, Ith having fun."

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

The hilarious thing here is that you don't think free to play makes money.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166

I agree, i hate quests. When Daoc came out, there were some quests, but mostly they didnt give exp, or if they did it wasn't much. You might get an item, and a lot of times it wasnt even something you could use.

In order to level in Daoc, you had to group with people. You could solo on certain characters, like pet classes, but even that was really slow. MMO's should be about grouping. Back in the day, i knew pretty much everyone else who played on my server. There was a huge community, because it took months to level and we had to work together.

I think that is what made Daoc so successful and fun for me. The gameplay was fun, but i came back for the PEOPLE, and thats what an mmo should be about. If you want to do quests, and solo all the time, you should play a single player RPG.

Lets not point to the great success of WoW and start saying that it was the game mechanics and the addition of questing that made it so huge. What made WoW so huge, was mainly marketing, and accessability, i.e. low system requirements.

Originally posted by shawn01

I agree, i hate quests. When Daoc came out, there were some quests, but mostly they didnt give exp, or if they did it wasn't much. You might get an item, and a lot of times it wasnt even something you could use.

In order to level in Daoc, you had to group with people. You could solo on certain characters, like pet classes, but even that was really slow. MMO's should be about grouping. Back in the day, i knew pretty much everyone else who played on my server. There was a huge community, because it took months to level and we had to work together.

I think that is what made Daoc so successful and fun for me. The gameplay was fun, but i came back for the PEOPLE, and thats what an mmo should be about. If you want to do quests, and solo all the time, you should play a single player RPG.

Lets not point to the great success of WoW and start saying that it was the game mechanics and the addition of questing that made it so huge. What made WoW so huge, was mainly marketing, and accessability, i.e. low system requirements.

Um hello....it was the fact that the game did work with little bugs is why many games lost subs to WOW. WoW allowed folks to solo, and constantly collect the next carrot in their progression. They used the formula that EQ showed to be a winner.

Lets re-write history though, and say it was due to an ad campaign shall we?

Originally posted by tupodawg999

Hybrid themebox model.

- Quests but not in a single linear path. Intro quests at starter city and then others in clumps at various settlements or singly out in the wilds that you have to look for.

- Quests grey out and become unavailable to that character when you level past them.

- Alternate and incompatible routes e.g a town has two sets of three quests at level 6-10, one set for the merchants faction and one set for the thieves faction, completing the first quest for either side greys out the other set of quests for that character.

- quests could be more about faction than gear and faction can be about earning things which are currently automatic e.g getting friendly with a settlement allows the use of their bindstone, getting friendly with the river traders faction or the mages guild allows fast travel options, merchants at a settlement always initially give bad prices but fair prices when friendly etc friendly factions maybe give the location of a named mob with nice gear

(named mobs should be individually lootable by all the members of a group imo and also drop an item suited to each class e.g the same named minotaur drops an axe when looted by a warrior, a horn for a bard, a belt for a priest, a necklace for a mage etc, named mobs should drop special loot only once.)

- make it so there are gaps in the treadmill

- gaps in the levelling e.g the example set above, first quest at level 6, second at 8, third at 10, maybe a daily also for faction and exp, quests don't give enough to level, top up with mobs, make mobs give faction also e.g a rival thieves guild has mobs which give faction for both thieves and merchants depending on which side the character is allied too. Make it so the player isn't *just* mob grinding, although they can if they want, mobs are also either faction of crafting supplies as well as just exp.

- quest deserts. some gaps are multiple levels wide plugged with open dungeons e.g whole game has no quests between 16 and 20 but there are 2-4 open dungeons with mobs in that range (and maybe some quests internal to the dungeon). Then maybe the same again at levels 32-36.

- path quests e.g you can pick one path from a list like hunter, hero, explorer, loremaster etc and they have perks based on completing regular quests that are marked as part of that path e.g named beast mobs or quests to kill them could be marked as being part of the hunter path, the hero path would be similar but with named enemy mobs marked as part of the path (there could be different versions of these e.g a dark elf hero path and a dwarf hero path), the lore path could be to visit and study at libraries and ruins and wizard towers in the wilderness, explorer quests to complete exploration quests and visit locations etc. most of these quests would be the regular ones just marked as being part of a path although each path could also have their own signature quests that are unlocked as a player gains ranks in the path. Players could only pick one path and as quests would grey out as they leveled an elf ranger character on the hero path could have a very different gamefrom the same character on the hunter path.

- keywords, variety, replayability, worldiness

I liek this set up of ideas, though i would say for chin quests as well as things like investaging an item you bring to the quest giver you should have it that it takes time actual time not lvls to make it availible. If you also made it that quest chains and imortant areas quests (ie epic ones) scaled in lvl to be playable more with your character you would have it that you could still do them without it feeling like you are steam rolling things. I also love the idea of quests poping up in lower lvl areas after you hit acetain lvls or max, and they would help to explain more of the history as wel as story of places thru them. Trully i think ever zone should have some kind of instance or content that would be opened after you complete certain questlines/quests explaining or changing the area after you finsih it.

Originally posted by shawn01

Forced grouping is well a deterient for most gamers it makes you have to be socail at point which you may not desire to be in groups or with other players. Makking it better or faster to level in a game thru grouping is well a good idea, but eliminating the ability to solo and game alone is terrible. Having low stystem req may have been why most people went to the game as well as the marketing, it was not/will not be the reason they stayed at all, the game is fun to play as well as addicting in the fashion it is done. In wow origanally you could lvl solo with relative ease, but they had many quests that if you did not outgear or out lvl you needed a group to finsih them, this type of game play caters to a mind set of come play how you feel not hwo you are forced to. I will say that i hate the rate of lvling you have now, but it is part of the idea that the game starts at the end game, which was the destination back in the origanal mmo gaming setting.  I would not say that mmos are about grouping and socializing per say, but about feeling apart of a large community. and even in real life you do not need to be always apart of or interacting with a community to be apart of it, you can feel it by just being around it. SO in the fact that we are playing near huge numbrrs of other players we are apart of a mmo, if it was called a mmso (massive multiplayer social online game) then i would agree that we should have to interact as well as group constantly.