Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild wars 2 Or S.W.T.O.R which will you choose

Comments

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

this topic is absurd.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

The original post sounds one sided. As do many responses here for 2 games not even out yet.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

I drink coke but not pepsi because I like coke more so pepsi is disgusting and everybody who drinks it is an idiot! Sigh...

Live and let live people. I will play GW2 because for me personally I think it will be more fun. Does that mean it's better? Does that mean other people can't enjoy SWTOR? Not at all. Sometimes I feel shame for fellow GW2 fanboys..

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

Originally posted by hikaru77

The Hype around GW2 is even bigger than swtor, i feel sry for the people on that train, the disappointment about gw2 will be probably the most huge in the MMO history,  gw2 dont even have the 10% of the content that we will find in TOR, the PvP is all about BGs or e-sports like a dota game, No opvp and WvWvW once every 15 days, Dynamic events? we have that in rift already, and people get bored pretty fast, even worse if you dont get a decent reward doing it. and i dont wanna talk about mounts or exploration, since all you need to do in gw2 to travel from once place to another is just open that map and click where you want to go. GW2 is just an small game compared with what you will find in swtor, after all is a b2p game for a reason, even when the people still believe that it will be a ¨revolution for the mmo world¨ it wont be. lets make a fast comparision. talking about pvp, in swtor we will find, opvp, RvR (ala DAOC, WAR, an RvR system who looks like the final battle of Episode II), BGs, and more. In GW2, like i said, is all about e-sport bgs and the WvWvW once EVERY 15 DAYS, thats all.

From what i saw and read about TOR is that

oPvP taking place on neutral planets where players are fighing for control (big battlegruonds with objectives)

now hows that different from

GW2 WvWvW where players fighting for area control

in both you need to go, fly there to PvP

and ganking is not even a PvP ;)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Do we only have to pick one?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I pick the steelers.. oh... wait ..wrong thread.. err wait.. or is it, now I'm confused?!?!image

Oh yeah can someone tell me the score for the last game? I believe the teams were AOC vS WAR, who won anyone remember?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

I would choose diablo 3 because has tons of random items and it has no monthly sub

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

Guild Wars the Old Republic VS Star Wars 2

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

Originally posted by jerkbeast

I chose GW2 because it's the one I want to play the most, but I'm probablly going to play SWTOR too for a bit. I've been avoiding as much info as I can about SW because I want it to be a surprise. The one thing I saw that I don't like is companions. I don't like them in KOTOR, and I don't like them in DA. So I'm guessing I'm not going to like them in an MMO, but other than that the little info I've gotten looks promising. 

GW1 had companions. I see no reason GW2 will not, so companions should be a non factor.

I for one loved companions in GW1. I did better with my team of NPC's then many PUG teams.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

TOR is the MMO that will replace WoW for me, been waiting for it since the first leaked info came out. However, i will buy GW2 as well, why? The sole reason is for it being sub free so it won't hurt my wallet much checking it out. 

Btw, can the creator of this thread elaborate on how "the pvp is amazing" ?

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Evile

Originally posted by jerkbeast

I chose GW2 because it's the one I want to play the most, but I'm probablly going to play SWTOR too for a bit. I've been avoiding as much info as I can about SW because I want it to be a surprise. The one thing I saw that I don't like is companions. I don't like them in KOTOR, and I don't like them in DA. So I'm guessing I'm not going to like them in an MMO, but other than that the little info I've gotten looks promising. 

GW1 had companions. I see no reason GW2 will not, so companions should be a non factor.

I for one loved companions in GW1. I did better with my team of NPC's then many PUG teams.

There are no companions in GW2, not like there were in GW1.  You'll see certain NPCs coming along in your personal storyline here and there, but no actual companions that you control and level up.  Imagine in the open world where most of the game takes place, running an event with 50 people and all of them bringing along their own personal Livia equivalents.  Not only would it look ridiculous, but it would also tax game resources.

I'm a fan of companions.  I love the metagame to build them up and outfit them.  But they really would be more of a hinderance in a game that isn't based on personal instances.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by SuperXero89

SW:TOR.

I'll play GW2 in spurts when I'm bored of SW:TOR because I doubt the game will be a clone of all the other  MMORPG.  I do not buy that GW2 is going to be a fully featured MMORPG only with no monthly subscription fee.

I think it'll have about the same amount of depth (with different features of course) as the original Guild Wars just with the ability to see players anywhere within the game world.

Fixed it for you, because you have to be joking, naive or downright stupid if you think just because it doesnt have a sub it wont offer as much or more then a p2p MMO. 

Do some research, sure it wont have raids, but raiding is a stupid way to provide content because only a fraction of the playerbase will ever do it, and even smaller will percentage will actually beat it.  Raiding is dieing and I for one welcome our new open world dynamic content overlord.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

*waves hand*

You don't need to see any further posts.

This is not the thread you're looking for.

You can go about your business.

Move along.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by SuperXero89

SW:TOR.

I'll play GW2 in spurts when I'm bored of SW:TOR because I doubt the game will be a clone of all the other  MMORPG.  I do not buy that GW2 is going to be a fully featured MMORPG only with no monthly subscription fee.

I think it'll have about the same amount of depth (with different features of course) as the original Guild Wars just with the ability to see players anywhere within the game world.

Fixed it for you, because you have to be joking, naive or downright stupid if you think just because it doesnt have a sub it wont offer as much or more then a p2p MMO. 

Do some research, sure it wont have raids, but raiding is a stupid way to provide content because only a fraction of the playerbase will ever do it, and even smaller will percentage will actually beat it.  Raiding is dieing and I for one welcome our new open world dynamic content overlord.

GW2 has raiding too so nope raiding is not dying. The only difference is that in GW2 you won't raid for next shiny peice of gear but cosmetic items or for the sheer joy of grouping. I keep hearing claims like 'only small population of players raid' and yet there is no conclusive proof for it. No one knows how many players actually pariticpate in raiding on regular basis.

I find it silly that if you dislike a certain feature of MMO it should just die.Why? i have no interest in raiding but i have no problem if others enjoy it. A good MMO is one which gives more options and choices to players and not just eliminate them. Raiding is a very small part of overall content of SWTOR but since you are very negative about SWTOR no wonder you keep fixating on it.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

swtor obviously, its an mmo

guild wars was a multiplayer lobby with nothing fun to do, biggest waste of 40$ ever.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Originally posted by neorandom

guild wars was a multiplayer lobby with nothing fun to do, biggest waste of 40$ ever.

GW2 is going to be an MMO though...

it'll be nothing like GW1

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Probably both.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by tank017

That is subject to discussion though.  ArenaNet is attempting to redefine the term MMORPG for themselves.  This leaves them to claim that they are a MMORPG.  In the eyes of some, it will not be a MMORPG.  ArenaNet even claims that it is not going be the traditional MMORPG.  http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto

So while I have no desire to play either, I'm definitely going to pay more attention to what is going on with GW2 - since they appear to be trying to move the genre forward (rather than just regurgitate the same old same old while adding more single player elements and furthering the game lobby feel).

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• ChloroCatChloroCat Member Posts: 98

I'll play the one that is'nt solely Gear grinding. Can't stand RIFT atm because at 50 only thing to do is Gear grind. Whether PvP or PVE gear...boring. And I read a thing about raiding. Yeah I wanna spend several hours watching other people get nice loot...raids can go the way of actual role-playing in MMO as far as I'm concerned. Sad...I'm waiting for Skyrim so I can play something exciting.....

Jymm Byuu
    Playing : Blood Bowl. Waiting for 2. Holding breath for Archeage and EQN.

Originally posted by VirusDancer

That is subject to discussion though.  ArenaNet is attempting to redefine the term MMORPG for themselves.  This leaves them to claim that they are a MMORPG.  In the eyes of some, it will not be a MMORPG.  ArenaNet even claims that it is not going be the traditional MMORPG.  http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto

So while I have no desire to play either, I'm definitely going to pay more attention to what is going on with GW2 - since they appear to be trying to move the genre forward (rather than just regurgitate the same old same old while adding more single player elements and furthering the game lobby feel).

Well,I go by the simple fact that if thousands of players can play simultaneously on one shard together,at the same time,in a persistant world, then its an MMO in my book.

to take a quote from the link you provided:

"The first thing you should know about Guild Wars 2 is that, this time around, there’s no question that it’s an MMORPG. It’s an enormous, persistent, living, social world, filled with a wide variety of combat and non-combat activities. There’s so much depth here that you’re never going to run out of new things to discover."

So yes,I believe it will be a true MMO,unlike its predecessor.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I seem to be in the minority on this which is fine, but I really wasn't impressed with what I got to see of SWTOR.  So its GW2 I'll be keeping an eye on.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

There is no real "choose one or the other" thing going on.

GW2 isn't even in beta and, as most of us here know, MMO's have a tendency to get delayed once beta has been running for a time. Even in optimistic projections, it will still release months from TOR.

The question is more whether you're interested enough in TOR to buy it or not than having to pick one of both.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Well,I go by the simple fact that if thousands of players can play simultaneously on one shard together,at the same time,in a persistant world, then its an MMO in my book.

"The first thing you should know about Guild Wars 2 is that, this time around, there’s no question that it’s an MMORPG. It’s an enormous, persistent, living, social world, filled with a wide variety of combat and non-combat activities. There’s so much depth here that you’re never going to run out of new things to discover."

Wouldn't it be easier to just show them a video of a bunch of people fighting the shatterer together?

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

As the time goes by and the launch date of SWTOR is getting closer and closer, I hear and see much more of SWTOR vids and they're kinda failing in my eyes so I'm not sure anymore if I'll play both or just wait for GW2. GW2 is something I'm sure I'll play since I'm waiting for this game forever, but even tho I'm a SW fan the game is not living up to my expectations. Gotta wait till it's out and see how it goes after the launch date.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by grimm6th

Wouldn't it be easier to just show them a video of a bunch of people fighting the shatterer together?

you could do that.