Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild wars 2 Or S.W.T.O.R which will you choose

well since both games now have a decent ammount of info out there and polls where made back in 2010 i figured id make one for now at this moment il list my reasons for picking gw2 il admit i am a gw fanboy BUT i have reasons to be. what im doing is after a good ammount of time of posting on sites i want to compare all the poll results and come up with a decent ratio of things. well as the title states i know its impossible to have a thread like this without fanbois but id like people to state what made them choose one of these mmo's

over the other. for instance in gw2 what intrested me the most is

Dynamic events.

Persistent world. - big change for people who played gw1

The world changes with your actions.

It has a storyline and voice acting allthough not as much as swtor it still is a stepping stone

the pvp is amazing.

i was never one for marks above npc's heads by that i mean i dont like the exclamation marks i enjoy small cutscene like conversations with the npc's

Armor and weapons doesent mean your the best as its only based on looks.

probably best combat system iv ever seen - read this carefully please.

The art and detail for the game are practicaly amazing along with the music

the forum commnity is friendly iv played some mmorpgs where the pre release community isnt so welcomming

the side kick system.

the fairness in you wont get ksed/griefed

in dynamic events you get rewarded for as much effort as you put in

the pvp search system is that of an fps but it suits it well from what i'v seen

the fact arenanet are taking there time in creating a perfect bugless game i respect a company that looks after there player's yes imo arenanet are the "Only company" to have actually wanted to perfect an mmorpg with the least bugs as it can have before the release date is set.

that its a perfect mmo to start rping with i mean come on the dodging the charecter story the fantasy setting i dont feel limited. yes i know i havent played it yet but iv watched enough and read enough to know that what im saying here is correct

that it includes a reward system from gw1 that links to gw2 HOM wise so in a way they didnt abandon gw1

underwater combat system.

dungeon's/endgame

but yeah so far those are all i can think of atm i mean there are more but i must of forgot some il admit i was never a sw fan but  we all know swtor was based off of wow the devs admited that but we also know many mmorpgs have failed on this considering this swtor might be that one mmorpg that succeds wow allthough gw2 is a completly diffrent formula of mmo. it is its own king in its own genre but that bieng said there both mmorpg's fighting for the market that is why you need to choosebut considering gw2 is free i dont see how anyone who plays it can lose anything. also i dont see how anyone can play both unless they have alot of time on there hands but lets all agree these days does anyone have time and money like that?

oh and please correct me if i have gotten anything wrong but also please be civilized about it.

Comments

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Oh good... Yet another GW2 vs. SW:TOR thread. Let the flaming commence. image

If the mods on this site were smart they would put a lid on things before they got out of hand... again.

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284

Originally posted by vilereaver41

well since both games now have a decent ammount of info out there and polls where made back in 2010 i figured id make one for now at this moment il list my reasons for picking gw2 il admit i am a gw fanboy BUT i have reasons to be. what im doing is after a good ammount of time of posting on sites i want to compare all the poll results and come up with a decent ratio of things. well as the title states i know its impossible to have a thread like this without fanbois but id like people to state what made them choose one of these mmo's

over the other. for instance in gw2 what intrested me the most is

Dynamic events.

Persistent world. - big change for people who played gw1

The world changes with your actions.

It has a storyline and voice acting allthough not as much as swtor it still is a stepping stone

the pvp is amazing.

i was never one for marks above npc's heads by that i mean i dont like the exclamation marks i enjoy small cutscene like conversations with the npc's

Armor and weapons doesent mean your the best as its only based on looks.

probably best combat system iv ever seen - read this carefully please.

The art and detail for the game are practicaly amazing along with the music

the forum commnity is friendly iv played some mmorpgs where the pre release community isnt so welcomming

the side kick system.

the fairness in you wont get ksed/griefed

in dynamic events you get rewarded for as much effort as you put in

the pvp search system is that of an fps but it suits it well from what i'v seen

the fact arenanet are taking there time in creating a perfect bugless game i respect a company that looks after there player's yes imo arenanet are the "Only company" to have actually wanted to perfect an mmorpg with the least bugs as it can have before the release date is set.

that its a perfect mmo to start rping with i mean come on the dodging the charecter story the fantasy setting i dont feel limited. yes i know i havent played it yet but iv watched enough and read enough to know that what im saying here is correct

that it includes a reward system from gw1 that links to gw2 HOM wise so in a way they didnt abandon gw1

underwater combat system.

dungeon's/endgame

but yeah so far those are all i can think of atm i mean there are more but i must of forgot some il admit i was never a sw fan but  we all know swtor was based off of wow the devs admited that but we also know many mmorpgs have failed on this considering this swtor might be that one mmorpg that succeds wow allthough gw2 is a completly diffrent formula of mmo. it is its own king in its own genre but that bieng said there both mmorpg's fighting for the market that is why you need to choosebut considering gw2 is free i dont see how anyone who plays it can lose anything. also i dont see how anyone can play both unless they have alot of time on there hands but lets all agree these days does anyone have time and money like that?

oh and please correct me if i have gotten anything wrong but also please be civilized about it.

Choose? Why?

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Yeah....

I'm going to have to go for:

E) Bitch-slap the OP for making yet another SWToR vs GW2 thread when there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to choose since you can just play both if you want to.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Playing both.

But i´m far more excited about Guild Wars 2 !

Been waiting for it for over 4 years!!

• vilereaver41vilereaver41 Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by Master10K

If the mods on this site were smart they would put a lid on things before they got out of hand... again.

clearly you did not read my first post. id appreciate it if you did not attempt to add fuel to a unlit fire i would also appreciate if you do not post here again if you cant type anything related to this topic also do not refer to mods inteligence  that is in violation of this websites agreement and this thread is ok and tell me does the title suggest a vs thread? or are you not able to see the "which will you choose"

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by vilereaver41

Originally posted by Master10K

clearly you did not read my first post. id appreciate it if you did not attempt to add fuel to a unlit fire i would also appreciate if you do not post here again if you cant type anything related to this topic also do not refer to mods inteligence  that is in violation of this websites agreement and this thread is ok and tell me does the title suggest a vs thread? or are you not able to see the "which will you choose"

And clearly from my hundreds of posts, I have been on the forums for quite a while and have witness countless threads comparing GW2 & SW:TOR that eventually turn into 300+ posts of "my game is better than your game". Which further de-evolves into; "GW2 is nothing but a F2P asian grindfest" and "SW:TOR is nothing but WoW in space".

It doesn't matter how innocent you made this post out to be. The fact that your OP is strongly biased towards GW2 will help rile up the SW:TOR fans/followers on this site. As for my own opinion... GW2 will be the best MMO I've ever played. Mainly because I've only played LOTRO, Runes of Magic and Rift (currently playing).

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Waiting for TERA / Archeage. Those swtor vs gw2 threads should get banned..

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Who can seriously answer this with any meaning?There are a handful lthat have played maybe 20 minutes of game time in a expo and most stuff is just talk,needs to be seen in game for ourselves.

I base my decisions on the "finished product" not hype or the past or the developer or anything other than what it should be.

I would be more honest in saying there  is a very good chance i play neither.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

I chose GW2 because it's the one I want to play the most, but I'm probablly going to play SWTOR too for a bit. I've been avoiding as much info as I can about SW because I want it to be a surprise. The one thing I saw that I don't like is companions. I don't like them in KOTOR, and I don't like them in DA. So I'm guessing I'm not going to like them in an MMO, but other than that the little info I've gotten looks promising. 

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Both - I don't see why not.

Also lol, three way tie at 33% for GW2 / SWTOR / Both at the time I cast my vote.

Interesting!

• DahlifyrDahlifyr Member UncommonPosts: 134

Not Swtor, that one gonna be the new loughingstock in the MMO-world. Haven`t played GW2, so i dont really know about that one.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

I will try both.

Chamber of Chains
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

When I read the OP, I could have sworn I've answered this thread already. But it must have been another thread where the OP posted pretty much exactly the same thing.

Persistent world -> Thats great ! One of my main complaints about GW1.

Storylines -> I dont believe that, I've seen what GW1 had. Either way, even if GW2 has something decent this time, SW:TOR will be much better in this respect.

Items only visual -> Oh ? Then why bother getting them ?

GW combat "is great" -> Actually its damn super boring.

Voiceover -> GAH ! I want text. Its BOTH faster AND much easier to understand.

Rest -> Meh.

I dont expect much from SW:TOR. But I'm open to be positively surprised. Either way I'm fairly sure I'll get a great singleplayer game out of SW:TOR, even if the rest ... well ... sucks.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Swtor.

Might play GW2 if it turns out to have enough strong qualities that make me overcome my main gripes;

- no pvp in the open game world, everyone on your server being your buddy

- no mounts but loads of teleporting

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

why can't we choose both?

• PraorPraor Member Posts: 519

If there is no character inspect option then I will get Star Wars as well as Guild Wars 2 .

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Oh god this again? Seriously?

Both.

Yes that's right, I said both, not an waste-of-space load of BS about how one is going to be the second coming of Christ and the other the biggest load of crap to hit the shelves.

I'll probably get The Secret World and ArcheAge too. Open-mindedness is so liberating...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I plan to try both and play the best one.

At the time am I leaning towards GW2 but frankly do I think it is unfair to choose without trying both first.

I find it odd that so many people who didn't like GW1 and never played GW2 are so sure it is the next big thing though.

Relax, give the games a chance no matter what you think they are by reading stuff or watching vids. The best game will win, but only if people actually give both a chance.

And there is of course the possibility that neither are good, but I think that at least somewhat unlikely.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Between now and early next year my wallet is going to take such a hammering with so many potentially good games coming out, single player and MMO's. I plan on buying and trying them all, GW2 and SWTOR included, especially as there has been so little in the way of decent MMO's for a few years and not many great single players over the past couple.

• poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226

Like the past few replys, I'm trying both.  I was in this last weekends beta for TOR, and it was very polished.  It aint revolutionary, but it aint lacking either.  As for GW2, the pvp is what will make or break that game for me.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

I'm sticking with Age of Conan cause this game has ballz

• nuififunnuififun Member Posts: 123

lol at wall of text with GW2 features then a poll .............

• StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

Originally posted by nuififun
    lol at wall of text with GW2 features then a poll .............

Agreed. Proper thing to do would've to atleast post both games features. Atleast he admits he is biased.

My answer is both. I have said it before, I am in it for the long run. I hope both games deliver and by playing both I can enjoy them without playing one to death.

imageimage

• antonatsisantonatsis Member Posts: 109

by  the time GW2 comes out the dust will have setled with TOR and we will know how is it...so iam planning to play both,even if  TOR proves to  be not a good mmo(I doudt that)it will still worth it a single player experience(with the personal story that is)and for PVE freaks and lore freaks and SW fans the story aspect is enought to keep you going for a lot of time

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

It's all down to World of Warcraft for me. Look at things this way: I've spent years building up a main and alts and ploughed serious time as well as gold into the guild and AH. So even though WoW isn't exactly shining right now, it would be tragic to simply walk away from all of that investment and let it go to waste. Take breaks, yes, sometimes long breaks but to completely let go... no. But times are hard so... I can only sub one game right now. And that sub will more than likely be World of Warcraft because of previous commitments.

Which means if I'm choosing between GW2 or TOR I will choose GW2 so I can buy the game and then not fret over a sub and still oblige my previous contributions to WoW by continuing them when I go back for periods of play.

So

GW2.