Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you ready for Skyrim ?

Comments

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by blackcat35

what's this about dragon fights?  Are you going to be able to play a dragon?  I'm looking forward to this game, but thought it was going to be similar to Oblvion....

Its similar to oblivion they just have change some things that was not popular in oblivion like mobs always same lvl or quest system. Gui they have also changed alot. Combat and how you use spells. They have now 70 different voices instead of 4, and 150 different dungeons handcrafted not like in oblivion most of same looking dungeons. And alot more different mobs and variation like the dragons.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Kazuhiro

Built a whole new pc just for skyrim, ironically I've built every new pc around the release of a elderscrolls game since morrowind.

What worries me is if this version will be as ungodly buggy as oblivion was, to this day oblivion still crashes like mad on all hardware, especially with mods. And even with a state of the art PC still has hiccups and pauses when loading envioments. Only old thing on my pc is that I'm not using a SSD, as those things still have way too short of a life expectancy. Still I wonder if that would really make a difference anyway.

Strange my copy of oblivion always run smooth sinds launch first on my xp then vista and now windows 7 ive had np at all.

And build new PC everytime when new Elder Scrolls comes along is logic development time between games is avarage of 5 years hehe.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• tazarconan7tazarconan7 Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by forest-nl

Built a whole new pc just for skyrim, ironically I've built every new pc around the release of a elderscrolls game since morrowind.

What worries me is if this version will be as ungodly buggy as oblivion was, to this day oblivion still crashes like mad on all hardware, especially with mods. And even with a state of the art PC still has hiccups and pauses when loading envioments. Only old thing on my pc is that I'm not using a SSD, as those things still have way too short of a life expectancy. Still I wonder if that would really make a difference anyway.

Strange my copy of oblivion always run smooth sinds launch first on my xp then vista and now windows 7 ive had np at all.

And build new PC everytime when new Elder Scrolls comes along is logic development time between games is avarage of 5 years hehe.

Tbh i program my pc upgrade evry time bethesda launches a good rpg. Oblivion worthed the money as Skyrim does ;P

Only exception was the last upgrade a quad cpu for age of conan. but i guess quad will be fine for skyrim.

P.S. Btw can anyone recommend a good grafick card that will play max detail skyrim without loosing a single frame in full/top details? Thanks in advance!

• mindblwnmindblwn Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by tazarconan7

Tbh i program my pc upgrade evry time bethesda launches a good rpg. Oblivion worthed the money as Skyrim does ;P

Only exception was the last upgrade a quad cpu for age of conan. but i guess quad will be fine for skyrim.

P.S. Btw can anyone recommend a good grafick card that will play max detail skyrim without loosing a single frame in full/top details? Thanks in advance!

Agreed! Just bought a 3.4 Ghz 2600k Intel CPU, with GeForce GTX 580 3GB cards x3, SSD 240GB HardDrive. 16GB of 1800 RAM and all for a pretty penny of $4,400 (Promotion at work). Steelseries gear for it too. Since it is such a monster PC, its gonna get here about the time Skyrim does :D

• tazarconan7tazarconan7 Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by mindblwn

Originally posted by tazarconan7

Agreed! Just bought a 3.4 Ghz 2600k Intel CPU, with GeForce GTX 580 3GB cards x3, SSD 240GB HardDrive. 16GB of 1800 RAM and all for a pretty penny of $4,400 (Promotion at work). Steelseries gear for it too. Since it is such a monster PC, its gonna get here about the time Skyrim does :D

Slurp ;p  gief

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think we are talking a short main quest for Skyrm based on early reports. Yes there is eye candy and a fantastic looking world, there is just not much to the story arc, so while it may be a real blast it will nonetheless be a short one I think. Most will complete in under 10 hrs.

• NegativeJoeNegativeJoe Member UncommonPosts: 213

im not sure you have ever played an elder scrolls game.

10 hours in most people won't even start on the main quest yet..

::::26:: ::::26:: ::::26::

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

I can't wait to soak up hundreds of hours into this game.  I hope in the future, the next in the series will allow for co-op joining over online.  it's great to get caught up in The Elder Scrolls series, but if you could do it with a few friends, that would be pretty epic.

This game will amazing and i can't wait to play it.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

Originally posted by Requiem6

MMO doesn't need to learn from Skyrim, or even Dark soul.

Because if a game like Skyrim and Dark Soul would really become a MMORPG, it would just be bad and suck. It wouldn't end-up well.

Let the great single player game stay single player game, before someone scrap them.

Thanks.

I agree.  I think the OP was saying that the open, large world from Skyrim needs to be emulated.  At least that's what I am hoping, since the gameplay wouldn't obviously work in an MMO setting.

I love the skill based open world though in Elder Scrolls.

• pwnasauruspwnasaurus Member UncommonPosts: 71

Originally posted by Illyssia

I think we are talking a short main quest for Skyrm based on early reports. Yes there is eye candy and a fantastic looking world, there is just not much to the story arc, so while it may be a real blast it will nonetheless be a short one I think. Most will complete in under 10 hrs.

The information you've been hearing is highly misleading in that the "speed runs" are performed with incredibly intimate knowledge of the game. Considering Morrowind was beaten in 7 minutes and 30 seconds and is, to this day, hailed as the bastion of muthafuckinawesome to most fans of the series, you'll find Skyrim to be as expansive or even more so.

Noodling up a bit of napkin math - 

Morrowind - 7 minutes 30 seconds. Total personal playtime: ~200 hours

Oblivion - 11 minutes (fastest non-exploit run). Total personal playtime ~250 hours

Following this trend I'll probably die of some kind of vitamin D defficiency before I satisfy my Skyrim needs, but that was all excess anyway.

Yes I have. The problem is the two and quater hour finishes are based from the start of the game to the finish of the main stroy arc. That's it I am afraid. There is a lot of hype about Skyrim, there just isn't as much game as you might expect, a lot of it is side stuff and playing with dragons...etc. Will it be a good game that I might play, probably, but I think it will only hold for a week at most. Fable 3 (as an example RPG) had a ton of side stuff, but its main story would take you over 10 hrs.

Yes I have. The problem is the two and quater hour finishes are based from the start of the game to the finish of the main stroy arc. That's it I am afraid. There is a lot of hype about Skyrim, there just isn't as much game as you might expect, a lot of it is side stuff and playing with dragons...etc. Will it be a good game that I might play, probably, but I think it will only hold for a week at most. Fable 3 (as an example RPG) had a ton of side stuff, but its main story would take you over 10 hrs.

Refer to my post above.

Originally posted by pwnasaurus

Refer to my post above.

I just don't think people are looking for sims style RPGs. Yes there is a lot of hype behind Skyrim, I just think the main story arc too short to grab people in 2011.

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

AAAAGHHH I'M NOT READY !!!

I haven't even PREORDERED IT YET!  *cursing!*

On top of that, I do not have the appropriate hardwaaaree... waaaah... Dx

My pain brings me to tears.  I can't believe I'm going to miss 11/11/11!  The only reason I won't hang m-... err, eat a box of cookies? Is because I can, possibly, hopefully, get it in the future. O_O  SKYRIM!  SKYRIM!  SKYRIM!

Refer to my post above.

I just don't think people are looking for sims style RPGs. Yes there is a lot of hype behind Skyrim, I just think the main story arc too short to grab people in 2011.

Stop right there, criminal scum! What you're referring to as a "sim style RPG" is, in fact, an "open world" RPG, which many RPG players prefer for the immersive factor that choice and freedom bring. I honestly don't see any need to elaborate on this point since I can just let the sales figures and game ratings for Oblivion stand as they are.

Oblivion is getting on for 5 years old. Those days are gone, people don't want a sims RPG, they want a challenging story. Skyrim will sell based on hype, but....since you can complete it in just a few hours playing normally most won't bother with it longer than a week and will move onto better games.

Oblivion is getting on for 5 years old. Those days are gone, people don't want a sims RPG, they want a challenging story. Skyrim will sell based on hype, but....since you can complete it in just a few hours playing normally most won't bother with it longer than a week and will move onto better games.

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/636/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/

Just because I'm willing to do people's research for them. 

Of the multiple things you're failing to realize, the most irksome is that the Elder Scrolls series has always had a "challenging story" in the form of the main quest which is grand in its scope, variety, and difficulty. So with Skyrim, as with its predecessors, the consumer will be engaged by what the majority of reviewers seem to consider a challenging and well constructed story. The open world is icing on the cake.

The second gnawing point is that the story IS NOT as short as the speed run stop-watch would have you believe. To understand this more fully, let's take a gander at a Morrowind speed run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1IRxTN-_kU

Good, now with the video in question I think you'll realize that these people have pre-meditated every action made in these speed runs and are utilizing extremely specific pre-existing knowledge to shorten it in every way. The same strategic approach was applied to the "few hours" needed for the QA employee to beat the main quest of Skyrim.

For supplemental support I'd like to direct you to this article:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/skyrims-main-quest-30-hours-long-additional-content-lasts-two-to-three-hundred-more/

30 hours is on-par with the length of any respectable linear RPG, so if one were to ignore the world and side quests entirely , one could still extract the so-desired life crushing amount of time from the game. 

(Fable 3 is generally regarded as 15-30 hours gameplay depending on your speed)

Of the multiple things you're failing to realize, the most irksome is that the Elder Scrolls series has always had a "challenging story" in the form of the main quest which is grand in its scope, variety, and difficulty. So with Skyrim, as with its predecessors, the consumer will be engaged by what the majority of reviewers seem to consider a challenging and well constructed story. The open world is icing on the cake.

A challenging well constructed story that you can beat no problem in under a few hours.

The second gnawing point is that the story IS NOT as short as the speed run stop-watch would have you believe. To understand this more fully, let's take a gander at a Morrowind speed run.

Good, now with the video in question I think you'll realize that these people have pre-meditated every action made in these speed runs and are utilizing extremely specific pre-existing knowledge to shorten it in every way. The same strategic approach was applied to the "few hours" needed for the QA employee to beat the main quest of Skyrim.

I have been posting less than 10 hrs to complete main story arc here. That is significantly more than 2hrs that the speed runners can do, but is a lot less than games like Fable 3 and Dragon Age 2. A lot of players will think the game a short fix.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/skyrims-main-quest-30-hours-long-additional-content-lasts-two-to-three-hundred-more/

30 hours is on-par with the length of any respectable linear RPG, so if one were to ignore the world and side quests entirely , one could still extract the so-desired life crushing amount of time from the game. 

The hours suppose that you want to spend all that irksome time on character development when you can just rush in and complete the plot in a few hrs.

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Did I just read worries people have about the developer QA guy finishing the game in a few hours time?  Y'know, one of those guys whose job it is to know everything about this game basically.

No one that starts the game will be finishing it in a few hours, no one.  Maybe after several play throughs you'll get someone able to just about do this, and that won't happen for weeks since its out.

For anyone to actually worry about the main quest line being short is.. well... I don't have any good words for this bit.  They're all bad words, referring to little intelligence mainly.

A challenging well constructed story that you can beat no problem in under a few hours.

I have been posting less than 10 hrs to complete main story arc here. That is significantly more than 2hrs that the speed runners can do, but is a lot less than games like Fable 3 and Dragon Age 2. A lot of players will think the game a short fix.

The hours suppose that you want to spend all that irksome time on character development when you can just rush in and complete the plot in a few hrs.

Honestly...I've tried to remain cordial but you've simply restated your thrice-used opinion that remains nothing more than an opinion because you've failed to present any sort of supporting evidence other than your layered delusions.

"I have been posting less than 10 hrs to complete main story arc here. That is significantly more than 2hrs that the speed runners can do, but is a lot less than games like Fable 3 and Dragon Age 2. A lot of players will think the game a short fix."

If you had read the entirety of my post before responding in pieces as if it didn't comprise an argument, you would see that the professional estimate(which I trust far more than a random poster's) is indeed on par with competing products. Which brings us to this -

"The hours suppose that you want to spend all that irksome time on character development when you can just rush in and complete the plot in a few hrs."

I customize each of my characters to the fullest and I've never expended any more than 30 minutes on character development. Taking into consideration the removal of skill selection at creation, this should serve to streamline the process. Let's be generous and allot creation a full hour for the coloring of each hair on a beard...That's still 29 hours which is at the extreme end of the Fable3 spectrum and respectably nestled in DA2's 20-40 hour gameplay expectation.

It's becoming obvious that you're intent on debasing Skyrim for whatever reason, maybe you just enjoy being a contrarian, but that's only effective when you can support your claims.  

Honestly...I've tried to remain cordial but you've simply restated your thrice-used opinion that remains nothing more than an opinion because you've failed to present any sort of supporting evidence other than your layered delusions.

"I have been posting less than 10 hrs to complete main story arc here. That is significantly more than 2hrs that the speed runners can do, but is a lot less than games like Fable 3 and Dragon Age 2. A lot of players will think the game a short fix."

If you had read the entirety of my post before responding in pieces as if it didn't comprise an argument, you would see that the professional estimate(which I trust far more than a random poster's) is indeed on par with competing products. Which brings us to this -

"The hours suppose that you want to spend all that irksome time on character development when you can just rush in and complete the plot in a few hrs."

I customize each of my characters to the fullest and I've never expended any more than 30 minutes on character development. Taking into consideration the removal of skill selection at creation, this should serve to streamline the process. Let's be generous and allot creation a full hour for the coloring of each hair on a beard...That's still 29 hours which is at the extreme end of the Fable3 spectrum and respectably nestled in DA2's 20-40 hour gameplay expectation.

It's becoming obvious that you're intent on debasing Skyrim for whatever reason, maybe you just enjoy being a contrarian, but that's only effective when you can support your claims.  

You're assuming here I won't buy Skyrim and play the game. I will....I just know that it is about a wek of gaming fun, unless you are really anal in you character development. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I highly doubt that.

I would agree that because the player base for these games has grown that game companies are probably going to shy away from 40 hour epic games. This of course is a shame.

However, Oblvion can be finished in a very short amount of time. Much shorter than morrowind. And there are still people (myself included) who are still playing.

Those people who know the elder scrolls series and who are invested in the type of game play that it brings will not be done in a few hours and move on.

For those who are just looking for a main story, well like i said, oblivion can be finished very quickly. I can only surmise that Skyrim is similar to Oblvion in story length and those players who want to just blast through the story will do the same as they did (if the played it) Oblviion.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

You're assuming here I won't buy Skyrim and play the game. I will....I just know that it is about a wek of gaming fun, unless you are really anal in you character development. 

"Just know"

Yep.

"Just know"

Yep.

It's just a game...you shouldn't have to gird your loins to enjoy a short main quest arc by hundreds of hours of work out on the main chacracter through character improvement and small side quests that are mainly RNG in their put together. Plus their is all that Draogn stuff that doesnt fit with any of the previous lore of the game.

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

ye smokin skooma pipe as we speak.

but as others said hopefully there wont be elder scrolls online. or gothic online... witcher online... or kotor online.

wait... crap... :|