Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are Fantasy mmo's Becoming Old?

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Originally posted by Diovidius

Originally posted by Razeekster

I don't quite understand your question.

I loved the setting, but the game just felt lacking in something.

The story is great and everything, but I didn't like the game play.

It didn't feel as if it was bringing anything new to the table.

What I meant was, what does not liking the current fantasy mmo's (anymore?) have to do with not liking fantasy as a setting for mmo's in general? Is it really fantasy as a setting people are tired of or is it the gameplay and the way the setting is presented?

I never said I didn't like fantasy as a setting for mmo's in general.

I love them, but that doesn't mean they don't get old.

They take up most of the mmorpg market and as fun as some of them are I would very much like to see a new and enjoyable genre in mmorpg's that can actually compete with the latter genre.

There's all kinds of fiction to take from so why is the tolken-fantasy type used so much?

I'm sure I'm not the only player who gets sick of seeing the same type of genre used to the point where all the games in that genre begin to resemble one another.

Smile

• AktillumAktillum Member Posts: 22

The fantasy genre isn't dead, developers just aren't doing anything new. OPs post summed up poorly written RPG plotlines, but a game that remains persistent and hosts events for players to participate in can never become stagnant

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Are Fantasy mmo's Becoming Old?

No, the WOW-clone game mechanics are old, not the setting.  I'm still waiting to play a real fantasy mmoRolePlayingGame

Originally posted by Aktillum

The fantasy genre isn't dead, developers just aren't doing anything new. OPs post summed up poorly written RPG plotlines, but a game that remains persistent and hosts events for players to participate in can never become stagnant

As much as I agree with you I have a problem with most events that are held as they are generally not extremely original and a lot of times are pointed at players who are very high in level.

Not all mmorpgs are like that but I find a lot are.

For example: I don't consider "Find the GM" events to be extremely original as most mmorpgs have this kind of event.

Smile

As much as I agree with you I have a problem with most events that are held as they are generally not extremely original and a lot of times are pointed at players who are very high in level.

For example: I don't consider "Find the GM" events to be extremely original as most mmorpgs have this kind of event.

Hide and seek.  Yeah, I'm going to pay $15.00 a month to play, Hide and seek, and rock paper scissors, and musical chairs.  Yeeeeaaaaaahhh  riiiiiiiight.

Originally posted by Nerf09

Hide and seek.  Yeah, I'm going to pay $15.00 a month to play, Hide and seek, and rock paper scissors, and musical chairs.  Yeeeeaaaaaahhh  riiiiiiiight.

The sad part is a lot people do pay $15.00 a month to play hide and seek.

I suposse a lot of people enjoy it just because GM's in games are looked upon as gods.

I don't really care either way because I've never gotten excited at the thought of seeing a GM in any mmorpg I play.

Smile

• PapamacPapamac Member UncommonPosts: 162

Question: Are Fantasy mmo's (sic) Becoming Old?

Short Answer: Yes

Longer Answer:  MMOs are designed and financed by a generation of people who got their inspiration from reading Tolkien, among others.  Until recently, their product was targetted at a generation of people who also read Tolkien and similar works.  Once those people move on, and are replaced by a younger generation of designers, financiers, and consumers, you may see a change. 

The problem, of course, is that today's generation doesn't read anything unless it's available on the internet and accompanied by a music video full of scantily clad women.  So if you want a change in genres, stay in school.  Learn to program/design/develop your own MMO.  Stop expecting people to know what you like when you can't even figure it out for yourself.

I'm not even going to play hide and seek, rock paper scissors, for free.  Heck, once you've played your first rock paper scissors game you've played them all.

I suposse a lot of people enjoy it just because GM's in games are looked upon as gods.

I don't really care either way because I've never gotten excited at the thought of seeing a GM in any mmorpg I play.

sounds like you've played some crappy games with crappy GMs :(

if you check out Achaea i think you'll be surprised at how much the GMs interact with the players and come up with new and original stuff, they never do "find the GM" events or hide and seek or musical chairs. One event they did in Achaea had everyone getting sick from fishing in the rivers, and people were passing the sickness to eachother. Another event they did introduced a whole new continent to the game for players to sail to.

Originally posted by Papamac

Question: Are Fantasy mmo's (sic) Becoming Old?

Short Answer: Yes

Longer Answer:  MMOs are designed and financed by a generation of people who got their inspiration from reading Tolkien, among others.  Until recently, their product was targetted at a generation of people who also read Tolkien and similar works.  Once those people move on, and are replaced by a younger generation of designers, financiers, and consumers, you may see a change. 

The problem, of course, is that today's generation doesn't read anything unless it's available on the internet and accompanied by a music video full of scantily clad women.  So if you want a change in genres, stay in school.  Learn to program/design/develop your own MMO.  Stop expecting people to know what you like when you can't even figure it out for yourself.

I never said anywhere that I expect people to know what I like.

Also I know what I like fairly well.

No need to get rude in a thread that's supossed to be a fun discussion.

Smile

sounds like you've played some crappy games with crappy GMs :(

if you check out Achaea i think you'll be surprised at how much the GMs interact with the players and come up with new and original stuff, they never do "find the GM" events or hide and seek or musical chairs. One event they did in Achaea had everyone getting sick from fishing in the rivers, and people were passing the sickness to eachother. Another event they did introduced a whole new continent to the game for players to sail to.

That sounds like fun. I'll have to check it out.

Smile

nvm you were just registering :D

nvm you were just registering :D

Such a fun game!

Can't wait to play later.

I don't even usually like M.U.D.s but this one is fun.

Smile

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I hate fantasy with a passion so yes. 

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

Originally posted by Cephus404

I don't hate fantasy.

I actually love it, but the theme does get old when nothing new is added in a mmorpg environment.

I'm curious, why do you hate fantasy?

Smile

I don't hate fantasy.

I actually love it, but the theme does get old when nothing new is added in a mmorpg environment.

For a lot of reasons actually.  First off, as many have said, it's all the same in the MMO universe.  Same old generic fantasy tropes with a little different window dressing, but largely if you've played one, you've played them all.  Secondly, I hate magic.  This comes from reading so many bad fantasy novels in my youth, where magic is so often used as an illogical "get out of thinking rationally" card.  Write yourself into a corner?  Wave your wand, wiggle your nose and you're out!  Doesn't matter if you had to violate all of your "rules" to do it, everything you've established up until that point, magic means never having to think about it critically.

Sorry, I can't stand that.  I want a game that has nothing even remotely resembling magic.  Pure hard sci-fi would be wonderful.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more

I don't hate fantasy.

For a lot of reasons actually.  First off, as many have said, it's all the same in the MMO universe.  Same old generic fantasy tropes with a little different window dressing, but largely if you've played one, you've played them all.  Secondly, I hate magic.  This comes from reading so many bad fantasy novels in my youth, where magic is so often used as an illogical "get out of thinking rationally" card.  Write yourself into a corner?  Wave your wand, wiggle your nose and you're out!  Doesn't matter if you had to violate all of your "rules" to do it, everything you've established up until that point, magic means never having to think about it critically.

Sorry, I can't stand that.  I want a game that has nothing even remotely resembling magic.  Pure hard sci-fi would be wonderful.

Unfortunately, I'll have to disagree with you, as I don't like sci-fi in an MMORPG setting.

I do enjoy sci-fi though in movies, but when put into MMORPGS I'm turned off (even by Star Wars).

Smile

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487

No, discussion over......

Originally posted by ray12k

No, discussion over......

Your opinion, friend.

Doesn't mean it's right :)

Smile

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

I think sci-fi mmorpgs are much more boring.  I prefer fantasy mmorpgs......usually the magic in mmorpgs is set to do one thing for each spell.  It cannot do anything.....

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

The first time I recall saynig "I'm getting kind of sick of fantasy settings" was right after The Burning Crusade expansion in WOW.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

The fantasy theme has been prevalent in games since Akalabeth came out in 1979 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akalabeth:_World_of_Doom).  I really don't see it going anywhere.

Is it getting old?  I doubt it in the sense of the general gaming market at least.  If fantasy has stayed strong for over three decades, I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

Obviously though it will get old to individuals...but I don't think so many that it will affect the market at all.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Creslin321

The fantasy theme has been prevalent in games since Akalabeth came out in 1979 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akalabeth:_World_of_Doom).  I really don't see it going anywhere.

Is it getting old?  I doubt it in the sense of the general gaming market at least.  If fantasy has stayed strong for over three decades, I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

Obviously though it will get old to individuals...but I don't think so many that it will affect the market at all.

I think you're right in that assessment.

I would just love to see something new for once.

Smile

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Very true I don't know that it's even an issue of I'm so sick of it I'd never play it again, well that can't be it because I still play LOTRO on occasion but it certainly has become a much greater chore to log into anything with dragons,elves.hobbit/dwarf/gnome,goblins, huge stone castles etc..

I think for me for a bit it would take a really special game to cure this malaise  or a very long spin with a nice sci fi title.

Originally posted by raistlinm

Very true I don't know that it's even an issue of I'm so sick of it I'd never play it again, well that can't be it because I still play LOTRO on occasion but it certainly has become a much greater chore to log into anything with dragons,elves.hobbit/dwarf/gnome,goblins, huge stone castles etc..

I think for me for a bit it would take a really special game to cure this malaise  or a very long spin with a nice sci fi title.

Yeah, essentially.  That's where Global Agenda had it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxFKDzW0qdg