Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally, an Asian MMORPG that might do well in the US.

123457»

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Originally posted by DanMcC

Will this game have twitch-based combat? We need more MMOs like that.

I'm not entirely sure but it looks like it's going to be along the lines of "Rock, Paper, Scissors." I'm guessing it'll be something like Mabinogi, thats the only other game I can think of that has such a system.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Digna

Looks like something to be interested in but keeping in mind 1) that the video was a trailer and 2) gpotato. With no other info I would say that this (if it comes out decently) would be a fun game for a few weeks or a month in between AAA titles. Many of the P2P games recently have been lacking somewhat but F2Ps (true F2P) have always been on the 'light' side of being truly interesting.

Just my two cents worth.

Err ... I dont even bother to buy singleplayer games that would only last me a month ...

OK some did, like Diablo 2 or Guild Wars - but I didnt expected it.

For a MMO, giving away my bank data and stuff, you better offer me a game I could possibly play for years - or I'm not interested.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Originally posted by Man1ac

What about GW2?

I was waiting for someone to come in this thread and mention GW2.

Every thread, doesn't matter what the topic is, someone has to do it. image

I see.

Also, this is like Nazis or Hitler.

You know, because of Godwins Law.

• sbantingsbanting Member Posts: 238

Originally posted by Asheram

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2011-10-14/age_of_wulin_prison_system_preview.shtml

Kidnapping and jailtime lol.

KKKKKKKuhgr

Lol - you can be beheaded, wonder if that means the end of the char lmao Now thats a punishment :D

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

http://www.mmoculture.com/2011/10/age-of-wulin-cn-closed-beta-1-final.html

Last part of Age of Wulin CB1 walkthrough by mmoculture.

The guy promises to cover the CB2 too, covering more indepth stuff like pk, pvp, parkour-like stuff(you don't start with everything btw, you have to find, achieve and train for being able to run up the walls, double, jumping, running on water, etc, all separately)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

They really captured the Chinese Wuxia setting.   I'd at least check it out to do all the crazy acrobatics.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

I admit, I am interested with AoWulin. But seeing GPotato as the publisher, I'm gonna pass this one up.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Hands-on Experience about Sect Scouting in Age of Wulin

I guess you can get quests to go spy on other factions and they get quests to find and kill intruders.Anyhow there is some more game footage video.

Originally posted by Asheram
    Hands-on Experience about Sect Scouting in Age of Wulin
    I guess you can get quests to go spy on other factions and they get quests to find and kill intruders.Anyhow there is some more game footage video.

^yes

To be exact game ENCOURAGES messing with the rival sects/factions. In fact you mostly will only be able to learn the other faction skills either by diplomacy/manipulation or by plain assembling group of players and plain raiding the enemy faction temple for skill manuals(a common theme in martial arts and wuxia movies)

In-game non-faction quests also involve player interaction. NPC might ask you to track down and kill some player who has done a lot of pvp and pk OR has a bad relationship with that NPC(since you have "relationship" with every npc in the game, good relationship leading to good things from him and bad from his enemies, if he has them and vice-versa)

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

It seemed interesting till I saw that the west wont get CBT till 2012. All interest was lost after that.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

I must admit that the trailer looks very compelling. That said, I will NEVER AGAIN play a GPotato game.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Not sure if these have been posted, but here is the Shaolin walkthrough.  http://www.mmoculture.com/2011/10/age-of-wulin-cn-tour-of-shaolin.html

And the Tang Clan: http://www.mmoculture.com/2011/10/age-of-wulin-cn-tour-of-tang-clan.html

I'm not a big fan of Asian MMOs, but I gotta say, this game looks pretty damn nice.  The Tang Clan walkthrough was very, very impressive visually.  The world looks amazing.  If the gameplay is half as impressive as the overall look of the game, this could be one to watch.  

• StarlightJunStarlightJun Member UncommonPosts: 56

I wish I can jump like that for real OMG!

http://www.mmoculture.com/2011/10/age-of-wulin-cn-open-beta-delayed.html

Interview with the CEO of SnailGame.

• He feels that to enter a more demanding western market that already has a pre-set opinion about eastern games requires the game to be entirelly polished, thus using Chinese players who are more knowledgeable in wuxia lore and more forgiving to test out the game and iron it out is for the best
    • He understands that for a western player its kind of hard to diferentiate, let's say japanese samurai culture from wuxia and etc and hopes that by being as authentic to the genre as possible, they can bring up unique feel that other more fantasy-like eastern-influenced games failed to do
    • Dark And Light complete reboot will get a new title.
    • He hopes to improve animation quality of players and add more animations overall for second closed beta in china
    • He feels that releasing game unfinished and with bugs would be disastrous, thus the beta phases will take as long as needed till players only have very minor complaints.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• BigBadWolfeBigBadWolfe Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by Yuui

• He feels that to enter a more demanding western market that already has a pre-set opinion about eastern games requires the game to be entirelly polished, thus using Chinese players who are more knowledgeable in wuxia lore and more forgiving to test out the game and iron it out is for the best

• He understands that for a western player its kind of hard to diferentiate, let's say japanese samurai culture from wuxia and etc and hopes that by being as authentic to the genre as possible, they can bring up unique feel that other more fantasy-like eastern-influenced games failed to do

• He hopes to improve animation quality of players and add more animations overall for second closed beta in china

• He feels that releasing game unfinished and with bugs would be disastrous, thus the beta phases will take as long as needed till players only have very minor complaints.

Okay, I'm honestly not trying to troll here, but Tera is doing the exact same thing.  So why would this game succeed, and Tera fail in NA/EU? Or am I the one being trolled here?

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by BigBadWolfe

Originally posted by Yuui

Okay, I'm honestly not trying to troll here, but Tera is doing the exact same thing.  So why would this game succeed, and Tera fail in NA/EU? Or am I the one being trolled here

If done right it could have a really nice niche audience, I would play this game in a second, and so would alot of us who are tired of euro fantasy mmos. If the game is of high quality I am going to be all over it, This and TERA are two different games,  its like comparing Justice League Unlimited to Heroes. TERA is just a hack and slash , this is martial arts beauty with  actual styles. as a style purist this is right up my alley. TERA and Blade and Soul are in the same category, much closer in design. Comparing this game to TERA is also like comparing Skyrim to WoW, one is a cartoon the other is a live action movie.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!