Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR wont be the game that wont make us fall back in love with MMOs.

Comments

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Originally posted by Wizardry

First of all i have not played one minute of SWTOR so i base what i have to say on the OP,who says he has played both Wow and SWTOR.

The op talks about a lesser version of Wow and a game that basically plays like Wow.Ok fair enoguh i can't argue and it is quite possible however.......

The op only played a very small amount of the game,actually far less than what i have played in Wow.I have played several classes in several zones always to about level 30 or so,that is a decent amount of various gameplay.

What i noticed was extremely shallow combat design,i am talking eat a sandwich and literally spam the hotbar without a care of what icon i am even spamming.OK perhaps the quests will be the same go kill 10 rats,i am not doubting that simplicity as devs are just lazy and cheap.However to say SWTOR's combat will be weaker than Wow's i find pretty much impossible to beleive,how could it get any more shallow?

What i have seen of SWTOR's combat is not a whole lot,i did manage to see a very in depth narrated BOSS fight which showed me a lot more combat structure than Wow has,i mean a LOT more.If SWTOR can carry that type of combat throught out the game and not just on BOSS or instance battles,then it is imo a better combat game than Wow.

BTW my gaming experience starts from level 1,from the first minute i step into a game,so please don't try to defend Wow's weak combat system by telling me about some Raid you were in at level 70 or something.The same will go for SWTOR,if it cannot deliver the same structure i saw in that video,then it will fail at providing a fun combat experience as i am not about to wait long periods in between to find a good fight.

I hate WOW new boss fights mechanics, I call them stupid pet tricks.  You have to do exactly this and that, in some sort of stupid choreographed dance.

"And now this boss's stupid pet trick is...." as I explained to the group I was tanking.

If anyone enjoys this type of combat mechanic, you need your head checked for cobwebs and bad wiring.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

/waves hand

This is not the game you were looking for.

/walks away into the Tattoine sunset  with a dejected look

That's all I am going to say....for now. ;D

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by elocke

/waves hand

Just wondering, have you ever seen the sun rise on Tattooine?

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Is it a wow-clone?  That's all I need to know.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

Originally posted by gobla

Originally posted by VirusDancer

So it will in fact make us fall back in love with MMOs?

Not necessarily... the world is so didactic, and that is why we usually fall into such logical fallacies.

In English it is necessarily....

English is not a language with negative concord (double negations reinforce each other instead of cancelling each other out).

Though he may speak a language that does have negative concord and lack sufficient knowledge of English to realize his mistake.

Anyway, not really something to get into a discussion over. Was merely pointing out that his title doesn't match his post, which amused me.

Double negatives FTW

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by Ikonic

Is this a Clone of a Cloned thread that people keep bringing up over and over again?

Yes, it is part of the holy trinity of Tor bashing arguments which we'll probably never get rid off. Even post launch. My opinions on each pillar in orange (not that it will ever stop the flow of people repeating these ad nauseam).

1. It's WOW in a SW skin

There are similarities but many differences too. To name but a few differences: full voice overs, choice and meaningful alignment, much more overlapping roles, no cross server dungeon finder, companions with rich functionality, personal spaceships.

2. It's an online single player game

There are many aspect in Swtor which can be enjoyed when alone, but devs have stated again and again that it is intended as a complete mmo and that socializing will be stimulated. A few multi player facets: flashpoints, heroic quests, operations, world bosses, social points to reward grouping up, warzones, world pvp with objectives.

3. It's not innovating the genre

Maybe not in how fast paced the combat is, or by its predetermined factions and classes, but there are innovating aspects as well: full voice overs (again) and having choice and meaningful alignment (again) and the rich storylines are in fact innovating for mmorpgs and promise to be an evolution from the cookie cutter, boring, leveling process in WOW and others. But also the blend of companions and crafting is new to the genre (as far as I know).

I like how the "Full voice overs" is a big thing. Most MMOplayer just skip all the talking to be honest. Only the real or fake "Star wars fan", not the "mmofan" will really see that a big plus. Because in fact, it change absolutely nothing. And there isn't "that much" of real Star wars fan out there. Alot of them don't play game either.

No cross server dungeon finder. I wonder why you put that as a posititive, since it's not positive at all. The fact that WoW have cross-server dungeons finder IS A GOOD THING for the MMO, and I wish more MMO would do that.

Socializing is stimulated in most likely every MMO, to be honest. But unless you put a shotgun on the head on someone and tell them to talk with everyone, you can't really force people to talk to everyone and stuff. Again, star wars fan might actually have alot of thing to talk about, but the WoW-Haters or people that love sci-fi mmo, not so much. To come back to the No Cross Server Dungeon finder. That actually stimulate people to socialize with other player from other server, which is a good thing. But not because it stimulate them that people will do it.

The rich storylines ? World of Warcraft might have the best storyline, of all time. The lore behind WoW is so big, oh, you skiped all the talking and the reading, I guess you don't understand. Saying that's in SW:TOR it's innovative it's just really trying to find more and useless stuff to say about the game. It's cool to have yes, but innovative ? Not at all. Some game will have a way more richer storyline than SW:TOR.

And again, if you think the leveling process in SW:TOR won't be that boring, you're so naive. I mean, it's still a MMO, and it's the same as always. Even game like Vindictus or Guild Wars 2 that try to change the mold a bit, the leveling process will be cool at the start, but will become boring after a little bit of time.

WoW leveling process is most likely only boring because you're used to it and you've done it over and over again. After doing once in SW:TOR, it's going to be the same boring stuff over and over again.

I'll most likely be trying the game, but seriously, some of the reason peopple might say about how SW:TOR will be great are really wrong. It's so overhyped that I wouldn't be surprise that people would say something like : SW:TOR will have a cats in the game... A CAT, omg it's so inovative ! It's surely better than WoW or any other game.. THERE'S A CAT IN THE GAME !!!!!!11!1!1!1

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by elocke

/waves hand

Should be Tattoine Sunsets =).

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190

Originally posted by Onomas

Originally posted by Phry

SW;TOR might not be changing the genre, but.. does it need changing in the first place, WoW made MMO's popular, image

Yes it does. Needs changed back the way older mmo's were. 

No.

The genre itself does not need changed for that is impossible.

The genre itself needs a niche game that caters to the old school types. What you are proposing is a blanket change of each and every MMO.

(i understand that was not your intent behind the sentence, but next time you may want to expand on your opinions rather than saying it in a, "NO! It needs to be this way or not at all! GET OFF MY LAWN!" style.)

However nich games do not bring in the WoW money. 

For that matter, i dont think any MMO since WoW (excluding kroean games/) has made WoW money. And it boggles the mind as to why studios have not yet noticed this.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

After december we get 7 years of SWTOR clone threads or Haters vs Lovers threads OMG:(

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190

Originally posted by Requiem6

Is this a Clone of a Cloned thread that people keep bringing up over and over again?

Yes, it is part of the holy trinity of Tor bashing arguments which we'll probably never get rid off. Even post launch. My opinions on each pillar in orange (not that it will ever stop the flow of people repeating these ad nauseam).

1. It's WOW in a SW skin

There are similarities but many differences too. To name but a few differences: full voice overs, choice and meaningful alignment, much more overlapping roles, no cross server dungeon finder, companions with rich functionality, personal spaceships.

There are many aspect in Swtor which can be enjoyed when alone, but devs have stated again and again that it is intended as a complete mmo and that socializing will be stimulated. A few multi player facets: flashpoints, heroic quests, operations, world bosses, social points to reward grouping up, warzones, world pvp with objectives.

Maybe not in how fast paced the combat is, or by its predetermined factions and classes, but there are innovating aspects as well: full voice overs (again) and having choice and meaningful alignment (again) and the rich storylines are in fact innovating for mmorpgs and promise to be an evolution from the cookie cutter, boring, leveling process in WOW and others. But also the blend of companions and crafting is new to the genre (as far as I know).

I like how the "Full voice overs" is a big thing. Most MMOplayer just skip all the talking to be honest. Only the real or fake "Star wars fan", not the "mmofan" will really see that a big plus. 

I view voice overs as a negative. "Back in my day..." Before VOs we used a thing called our imagination. We gave voice to the NPCs, monsters, bosses, other players, etc. Take away the imaginative aspect of gaming, and you are left with drooling, mindless zombies that act like drones, going from point A to B. 

You could argue thats why Movies made of books are almost always horrible. 

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

There's a flaw with the title...

If it won't be the game that won't make us fall in love with MMO's again, that kinda means it will, bud. :)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Swollen_Beef

1. It's WOW in a SW skin

I like how the "Full voice overs" is a big thing. Most MMOplayer just skip all the talking to be honest. Only the real or fake "Star wars fan", not the "mmofan" will really see that a big plus. 

I view voice overs as a negative. "Back in my day..." Before VOs we used a thing called our imagination. We gave voice to the NPCs, monsters, bosses, other players, etc. Take away the imaginative aspect of gaming, and you are left with drooling, mindless zombies that act like drones, going from point A to B. 

if they'd stuck with NPC's having voice overs that would have been better imo.. by forcing the players to have them as well.. its inevitable that you will get the argument/comments that 'i don't want to be xx character because they sound like jerks/dweebs/asshats' etc.. or worse.. 'i chose xx character class because it was the only one that sounded cool'  the problems is, that no matter how many facial variations you can choose, its inevitable that there will be very limited voiceover choices for the players own toon.. which is why there should be the option to untick a box for character voices.. sometimes.. things are best left 'unspoken' ... image

• NerfmehNerfmeh Member UncommonPosts: 36

Just go with GW2 if u want innovation like me

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Swollen_Beef

1. It's WOW in a SW skin

A book is hardly comparable to a quest text.

A book is able to convey emotion. A voice-over, if done right, is able to convey emotion. A single quest text is not able to convey emotion.

Voice-overs aren't removing anything, if they impede your imagination it wasn't that big anyway. They only add more information on which to base your roleplay and imagination.

Voices carry a wealth of information that text does not, it's up to you whether or not you use that information to enrich your experience.

If you really feel that less information means more imagination I suggest you take a blank sheet of paper and imagine away. Because really, all that text and all those computer models only take away the imaginative aspect of gaming, and you are left with drooling, mindless zombies taht act like drones, going from point A to B.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

Originally posted by Hoolilol

Except beeing a fanboy.. what tell you that the game will really be "innovative" ?

Dynamic event... ? You think they are the one doing that for the first time ?

Having skill with a designed weapon ? You think that is really "innovative" ? You can just see it as having all the skill but they "force you" to equip one weapon to have one certain skill.

Dodging ? No it's not, sorry.

I can't wait to try GW2 to be honest,  but saying it's going to really be innovative, oh god you're wrong.

A book is able to convey emotion. A voice-over, if done right, is able to convey emotion. A single quest text is not able to convey emotion.

Voice-overs aren't removing anything, if they impede your imagination it wasn't that big anyway. They only add more information on which to base your roleplay and imagination.

Voices carry a wealth of information that text does not, it's up to you whether or not you use that information to enrich your experience.

If you really feel that less information means more imagination I suggest you take a blank sheet of paper and imagine away. Because really, all that text and all those computer models only take away the imaginative aspect of gaming, and you are left with drooling, mindless zombies taht act like drones, going from point A to B.

If someone is a "Lore-fan", quest text is actually comparable to a book. Because it can contain humor, drama, etc. If you take one quest and only one of them, no, it won't convey emotion. If you take them all and don't skip them like the majority of people, yes it can. Because it's part of the storyline of the game.

Now, yes, some game don't have much storyline, but if we continu talking about the WoW trend, it have so much story to offert.

It's like saying taking one random page in a book, it won't convey emotion at all. but if you read all the book, yes it will.

Voice over aren't removing anything, that's true. As long as you can mute them or skip them if you want. For some people they actually might be annoying, and you have to respect that. But it doesn't add anything either. If you can't read, well maybe you shouldn't play game. Voice over doesn't add anything, except maybe reminding you some of the voice you heard in the movie. Which is mostly aimed at the Star Wars fan, nothing else. Not everyone use their imagination the same way.

Also....

You're still be left drolling, like a mindless zombies that act like a drone, going from point A to B after a Voice over that might actually be boring. Welcome to gaming sir.

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

I hate wow have done since I tried beta of it, I do not hate SWTOR from beta experience thus to me, to MY personal experience I am happy and looking forward to it.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Except beeing a fanboy.. what tell you that the game will really be "innovative" ?

Having skill with a designed weapon ? You think that is really "innovative" ? You can just see it as having all the skill but they "force you" to equip one weapon to have one certain skill.

I can't wait to try GW2 to be honest,  but saying it's going to really be innovative, oh god you're wrong.

Dude... I'm not even that big into GW2 or MMO's at all at the moment, but even I can see the innovation to the genre that it brings. Personal story and having your own area that changes depending on decisions you make is new, having all the quests be public and real time is new and a step in the right direction, being able to have anyone revive anyone else(which I believe was originally only in some FPS and TPS games like Call of Duty and Gears of War), being able to use many of the objects found in the environment as weapons and having the skills available change depending on what you're using, as well as where you are (such as underwater) is a nice touch and adds a bit of realism, compared to just swinging your sword as usual underwater to kill something that's obviously built to fight better than you underwater. :P

SWToR won't be near as innovative, but it'll be another MMO to kill time on until the next big one. At least there should be an enjoyable story... which is one thing I believe SWToR will be unrivaled in for a while.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

If someone is a "Lore-fan", quest text is actually comparable to a book. Because it can contain humor, drama, etc. If you take one quest and only one of them, no, it won't convey emotion. If you take them all and don't skip them like the majority of people, yes it can. Because it's part of the storyline of the game.

Now, yes, some game don't have much storyline, but if we continu talking about the WoW trend, it have so much story to offert.

It's like saying taking one random page in a book, it won't convey emotion at all. but if you read all the book, yes it will.

Voice over aren't removing anything, that's true. As long as you can mute them or skip them if you want. For some people they actually might be annoying, and you have to respect that. But it doesn't add anything either. If you can't read, well maybe you shouldn't play game. Voice over doesn't add anything, except maybe reminding you some of the voice you heard in the movie. Which is mostly aimed at the Star Wars fan, nothing else. Not everyone use their imagination the same way.

Also....

You're still be left drolling, like a mindless zombies that act like a drone, going from point A to B after a Voice over that might actually be boring. Welcome to gaming sir.

Voices don't add anything?

You're really unable to gather any information whatsoever from someone's tone of voice, the way they pronounce things, the speed at which they speak etc.? Nothing? Just nothing at all?

A good voice-actor is able to put into a single sentence enough information to fill an entire page.

A voice may not say as much as a picture, but it definitely says much, much more then just plain text. It's called paralanguage.

And really, quest-text is not comparable to a book. Not even with a thousand pages of lore to back it up. I'm sorry but if you think that's the case then you haven't read any good or even halfway decent books. The level of charactarisation and description seen in even mediocre books is far, far above that seen in MMOs. 

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• NerfmehNerfmeh Member UncommonPosts: 36

First of all i never was a fanboy .... i will play GW2 for sure but i will also test out SWTOR . And u dont have a clue of what you are talking about .....dynamic events first of all are not like in other games . U get recognition and a global feeling of a group achievement when you are doing them . Also let me tell you some other innovations:

1.Holy trinity is gone (healer , dps , tank)

2.Personal storyline

3.Casting while mooving

4.Weapons interacting with enviroment (a little more complex than this)

5.When you first enter a dungeon, you are in story mode, so your encounters in there advance the games story, or your personal story. Next time you enter that dungeon, you are in Exploration mode which is a harder version of the dungeon where you can see follow up stories unfold.

Most quests will be aquired via dynamic events. This is where you come across an unfolding event in the game world and jump right into it without being referred there by a quest giver. So if you see smoke and fire at a nearby farm, you know there's some sort of trouble there so you can go over, kick some butt, extinguish some fires, etc and be rewarded for it.

And alot more ...so ye

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

SWTOR is going to rock all of your worlds, I'm a wow vet, played since F&F, Beta, Open then release.. and only stopped a year ago, so I know wow in and out, and I can assure you that SWTOR is the same as wow in the respect that its.

a) an mmo

b) same type of combat ane controls.

c) kicks ten shades of shit out of wow in all aspects of gameplay and function.

In a nut shell TOR is stunning, its amazing, the story is breathtaking, the combat is fluid and seemless, and unlike wow your not just spamming the same attack over and over, there is a real feel of combat in the combat.

So. ignore the OP, he's clearly talking out his ass, and if he does not agree he's more than welcome to bring his jedi knight out to play and my sith marauder will kick its ass.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

So it will in fact make us fall back in love with MMOs?

Thanks for pointing that out as I was about to make the same post.

+1 for double negatives. image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

The bottom line is this:

If this game didn't have "Star Wars" in the title, it would probably loose up to 85% of its hype.

The game alone is not impressive. It's very typecasted and extremely linear. You are told where to go the entire time, who to kill, and are even limited to which class/race combo you choose. There is little to no freedom.

"We want players to be able to tell who you are at first glance, e.g., Marauder will hold dual sabers, Juggernaught will hold 1 saber, etc."

When the game launches, it will be a smashing success. The quests will be fun, the graphics will look nice, and the combat will be crisp. However, 2-3 months now...    the yearning to be yourself will set in. What to do now? Set up shop? Plop a house down? Go exploring? Explore the galaxy in my ship?

NO. You can't do any of these things. End-game will be a few story-driven raids and mass amounts of instanced PvP - over and over again.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

A voice may not say as much as a picture, but it definitely says much, much more then just plain text. It's called paralanguage.

And really, quest-text is not comparable to a book. Not even with a thousand pages of lore to back it up. I'm sorry but if you think that's the case then you haven't read any good or even halfway decent books. The level of charactarisation and description seen in even mediocre books is far, far above that seen in MMOs. 

man you are just on fire today. image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

"Think of it as a KOTOR you can play with your friends"

Smartest post ever. I am so tired of these jerks who are constantly trying to slam this game. I loved KOTOR, I wanted a version of KOTOR that I can play with my friends. And I wanted a GOOD Sci FI mmo, And I got what I wanted. So I'm there on the first day. I'd rather play this than anything else out there.

For my innovation I am looking to The Secret World .

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!