Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Serious WoW Competitor & Unafraid of SWTOR

Comments

• KyllsynKyllsyn Member UncommonPosts: 110

According to a new interview with IndustryGamers.com, Trion's Lars Buttler, Rift has been the "most competition that WoW has ever had".

Further, Buttler doesn't see the December launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic as a serious threat to Rift's place in the MMO space:

---------------------------------

LOLWUT. Well that's a big load of crap i've seen on here in awhile. Trion is no even competition for Blizzard and futhermore, they're in much competition with SWTOR because it's also going to heavily impact Blizzard. If Blizzard is not at all threatened by Trion, then therefore Trion will possibly suffer heavy casualties as well as Blizzard losing a possible 15-25+ % of their playerbase the first month. Based on how well the game does the first few months is whether they will return their playerbase numbers back up, or slowly decrease overtime. But there will always be a group of peopel whom enjoy Fantasy over Scifi. 

all derp'd out and nowhere to herpaderp.
  • Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

I personally don't see WoW going F2P anytime soon, since they still make so much money.

And even if they lose 1-2 more million sub, they would still have 8-9M subs, which is the highest of all MMO.

Plus the mount are selling REALLY WELL.

Titan won't come out before 2013-2014 that's for sure.

Rift will go F2P before WoW, that's 100% sure.

But I agree that the next expension will be a big piece in the puzzle. Let's just see when and how it will be.

I'm really interested to see what will come out from the Blizzcon.

On the subject, I think Trion find themself way better than what they really are. They want to compete with EVERY big name, but so far they failed, and I don't see that changing, since they come up with nothing new at all. It's sad to see.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

These guys are sick.They released the second worst mmo after ffxiv and they keep talking about their fail game.Well yeah they forgot diablo 3 as a threat

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Rift by far is more fun than The Old Republic. Rift should be more concerned with Guild Wars 2 and The Secret World.

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

I personally enjoyed Rift a lot more than WoW, and I had been playing WoW since vanilla closed beta. Lots of reasons why, but I'm sure it's all been said before.

That being said, I have no interest in STWOR - Much like WoW, and now Rift, it looks like all they're doing is taking what's out there, refining it, and adding a small twist. Not to say it won't be good, but it just holds absolutely no appeal to me.

I unsubscribed from Rift, not because I was bored or didn't enjoy it, there's just too many single player games coming out that I simply want to play more with a limited amount of time. Skyrim, Diablo III, Kingdoms of Amalur.. Those games alone are going to eat every free second of time I have. And until they come out, I have a backlog of PS2 and PS3 games I've never even taken out of their packaging.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

SWTOR=WOW in space. I was really hoping for just an updated galaxies, but then realized with all the console gamers now playing MMO's that it will never happen. SWTOR looks pretty, but I dunno if it will offer much to the MMO industry.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Nomis278

I want some of what Lars Buttler has been smoking.

AGREED.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I came back to Rift for a month just to screw around for a bit. The amount of guilds that are moving to SWTOR is ALOT. Trion should be scared unless they are going F2P

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• xSagaixSagai Member CommonPosts: 94

Interesting reading all the "WoW has nothing to worry about" comments. I must have missed where Lars said Blizzard better be worried. Trion has a clear roadmap on all their games and have gained a foothold and established themselves as a developer that cares about their community. Rift was polished at release albeit a bit shallow and I expect End of Nations and Defiance to be just as polished upon released. Gamers will play polished games assuming the devs are responsive to their feedback. Years of WoW may have left us a bit tired of the whole "experience", but it is clear Trion is doing something right.

The Trion hating is tired. If a devpublisher never thinks they have what it takes to have a seat at the table they never will. Props to Lars and Trion, the industry IS better by having them in the mix.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by just1opinion

AGREED.

I think he gets the good stuff because maybe he's from Switzerland, Holland or some Denmark or something.

Must be pretty good stuff to make claims like this.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by xSagai

Interesting reading all the "WoW has nothing to worry about" comments. I must have missed where Lars said Blizzard better be worried. Trion has a clear roadmap on all their games and have gained a foothold and established themselves as a developer that cares about their community.

I think it's because Trion has been trying (unsuccessfully) to engage Blizzard in a PR war from the start.

Trion has constantly be bringing up the WoW name whenever it could.

From the television "We aren't in Azeroth ads" for three months to internet interviews like this:

Trion Claims Rift Stole WoW Subscribers, June 2011

"The hint was actually a tongue-in-cheek comment by Trion's senior VP , David Reid during an interview with Gamasutra. "We're really pleased with what we're seeing," he said. "And beyond that, it was a pleasure to see that in the latest Activision Blizzard earnings call, they inquired about Rift when Blizzard announced that their subscriber numbers went from 12 million to 11.4 million.

"You can do some math... We know very well where those 600,000 people are."

Blizzard ignored that and just about everything since. Blizzard realizes if it just says "Trion" or "Rift", Trion will put that on their bulletin board as a "score" so they choose not to say anything.

That put Trion in the position of doubling down when they need to replace the subs they just lost after this six month expiration.

So recap, when Trion launched they went after Blizzard subs to fill their ranks, now that the game lost many six month subs, they went "back" to WoW to try and replace them with more.

Of course it's not 600k like they claimed, but Trion needs to get at least 100-200K subs from WoW to stay "successful" and they know this very well.

It's funny because all the 'true RIFT fans' always tell the WoW people there "go back to WoW" when they complain about things in RIFT, yet their company goes OUT of it's way to get more to replace them.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by Rogosh

If swtor is trash like I am hearing, Rift will be around a long time. Gw2 really isnt competion for rift wow or swtor as it does not have a subscription and has no end game. Most people I know will be playing gw2 with at least 1 other subscription based game.

Guild Wars 2 doesn't have raiding. Raiding =/= end game. Guild Wars 2 has the title system, activities, 8 dungeons with 3 explorable modes each, and replayable content due to level scaling including 100 player open world dragon boss fights. Neither of us have played through Guild Wars 2, but I don't think saying there isn't an end game is accurate.

• DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177

WoW is losing steam on its own, not because of any pathetic upstarts like Rift.  Trion has no clue what they're doing, and they're following the formula of rushing people to end-game to get them raiding progression as fast as possible.  They had the potential for a great story to be told and for players to have some level of personal investment in the game, and they blew it.  I played long enough to get 1 character to 50, but raiding killed my interest  faster than a thong on a 500-lb woman.  It's not shiny enough to kill WoW, but it is the most serious competition they've had in a long time.

Games I'm waiting for:  GW2 and Neverwinter.  SWTOR doesn't factor in unless I start seeing a bit more from them.  Right now... not so much.

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116

wow's dev team has no more fire burning, no more zest for action if you ask me...when you just look at what rift is patching in what timeframe i sure as hell think trion's team has all that on 110% atm. if this keeps that way i think rift will not go f2p or anything but keep on growing big time. swtor still also will have to beat a dynamic world i for one would not want to miss in my future games.

the quality & time trion delivers stuff is just amazing and if they keep this up while blizz i still slow (remember them stating they will patch faster a while back back - basically admitting that they learned this from rift hard time :O)

i dunno what will happen :) i for one just couldn't go back to the stale and static world of wow even tho i just play themepark games just in between or besides more sandboxy games.

but who are we to judge and forsee :)

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

RIFT is almost dead already, what are they talking about?

• LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135

Originally posted by xenom

wow's dev team has no more fire burning, no more zest for action if you ask me...when you just look at what rift is patching in what timeframe i sure as hell think trion's team has all that on 110% atm. if this keeps that way i think rift will not go f2p or anything but keep on growing big time. swtor still also will have to beat a dynamic world i for one would not want to miss in my future games.

the quality & time trion delivers stuff is just amazing and if they keep this up while blizz i still slow (remember them stating they will patch faster a while back back - basically admitting that they learned this from rift hard time :O)

i dunno what will happen :) i for one just couldn't go back to the stale and static world of wow even tho i just play themepark games just in between or besides more sandboxy games.

but who are we to judge and forsee :)

I always like these 'Rift patches a lot' type posts. WoW released a ton of patches in it's first year too. Know why? Since when a MMO is being developed they have a TON of content half done internally and use that content as the content that will be patched in over the next year. If by this time next year they are still releasing full out content patches at their rate (not just some minor thing but a full out content patch) then you'll have a case.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Im playing on what says is a medium pop server and I see people all times of day and evening so im not so sure its dead. More to topic, Blizz isnt scared of anything and I would guess they feel no need to respond to the "mice that roar".  TOR? I look for a huge launch, lots of bugs, probably some  crashes and half the players have left within 6 months but still have enough subs to maintain the game. Rift will still have players and WOW will still be the bull of the woods.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Originally posted by Yuui

The guy is right. 

They have nothing to fear from TOR. in fact their current marketing strategy will work just fine with the "Wow: Scifi version".

Going to disagree.  The only reason Rift has any population of note is because of the vast number of WoW exiles that are looking for the next big thing.  Rift is literally the "other" fantasy version of WoW, except not as good.

Rift is a holdover game, and SWTOR is likely to gouge that population more heavily than any other.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Rift was a filler game from people who were bored for WoW, which I do think SWTOR will be to a large extent as well. People are chomping at the bit for something new, which neither is really providing.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I doubt any one believes this.

• EvilChemistEvilChemist Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by Rusty715

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Im playing on what says is a medium pop server and I see people all times of day and evening so im not so sure its dead. More to topic, Blizz isnt scared of anything and I would guess they feel no need to respond to the "mice that roar".  TOR? I look for a huge launch, lots of bugs, probably some  crashes and half the players have left within 6 months but still have enough subs to maintain the game. Rift will still have players and WOW will still be the bull of the woods.

As much as I'm not a TOR nuthugger (just ask Badspock) I think u've just grossly underestimated it. There is a good chance TOR will eat rift alive. I don't know rifts sub numbers as of recently but from what I've heard, they're not very impressive therefore not really a logical reason to be so confident about its survival.

I mean, the last time I remember hearing anything about rift was because they dropped the price of their game to $20 or something. Seems like a desperate tactic, did it boost sales and subs?

"LOL"

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Eh..

I see Rift as one of those little fish that clings to the much larger fish(wow).Id say they are a small threat to wow .