Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Game Shifting to Action MMO

Comments

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by drsopbeen

Lets wait and see how it works out.

Yep.

• PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109

Wow not sure what to make of this.....action MMO....probably going to be like Cabal.

sounds like it....thats an action mmo.....rusty hearts....is very linear.....but since this is cryptic...then we will probably get flying off the bat to anywhere....with toggles to allow to stay flying or at super speed or invisible as long as you want.....

So it wont be like idiotic worlds of warcraft with their limited super speed.....or final fantasy xi with invisbility on a timer of 20 seconds......

But then again.....AION came out and had that retarded 30 seconds of flight then you drop like a stone to your death thing no matter how high up you where.....oh wait that was NC soft who did that.....

Well if they can do what they did with city of heroes....maybe do a good job like they did with star trek online.....and make something more entertaining then champions...then the game might not be too bad.

this is going to be difficult though....alot of games with alot of good qualities in all of them...have spoiled way too many people.

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Oh please not another franchise.

Chamber of Chains
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

An action so called MMO does not really fit my definition of a MMO.  Far closer to a FPS game than a MMO.  Besides Atari lost or is about to lose the D&D license.  It is a shame they are doing this to the Neverwinter IP though.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Could be cool, the only thing thats ever been good about Cryptic MMOs is a combat itself. I mean yeah, the last two MMOs where medicore but that doesn't mean everything they make or was in those games is fail.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

sigh

Because after totally botching Champions Online and Star Trek Online, Cryptic decided they hadn't shit on enough people's rainbows.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I was kinda waiting for it precisely because it was going to be more like a CORPG than typical MMO. Now I just might as well drop it.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

After the debacles that were Champions Online and STO...will *anyone* play this?

• bdewbdew Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by Precusor

Just how the hell did cryptic get the rights to use Neverwinter?

Atari gave them the license after Bioware defected to EA (and din't want to work on licensed IPs anyway)

• dystra99dystra99 Member UncommonPosts: 6

This is predictable and yet terrible news.

I like Champions Online. I think Cryptic's engine works quite well for that game. I think it's a less good fit for Star Trek, which is partly why STO sucks. But the idea of trying to fit the Neverwinter / D&D IP into the existing Cryptic engine is, frankly, beyond retarded.

Do they honestly expect this to do anything other than completely bomb?

• EphesymEphesym Member UncommonPosts: 11

Im not sure why they can't try to emulate what Bioware did(which was obviously successful) and release the game with a fully fleshed toolset.  

To make money they could sell quarterly content updates for around 10 bucks, which would include new monsters, new terrain, new whatever.  Cryptic would make up their own stuff with the new content, but then the builders have access to it for custom content as well.

Anyone apprehensive about user-created content and its quality, a rate and review system could be easily put into game, but im sure fans wont hesistate to set up a 3rd party site to do that as well.

TLDR : If Cryptic/PWE doesnt include a fully functional and fleshed out toolset, this game will be an abject failure.  Its what fans expect from the name Neverwinter.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

The main difference between the Foundry system that cryptic created and Biowares toolset is vastly different.  NWN 1 and 2 were desined to be played offline, or in small groups with friends. It was pretty difficult to find a quality player made adventure and then find people who also had the same addon and play.  Though you could create some amazing single player campaigns.

The Foundy was desined for an MMO, where most of the game was played in a persitant world. Therefore, at least with STO, you had no control over loot or drops, these were always generated by the game, and also all toolset functions were server side, so there was no toolset to download.  This system was desined soley to create engaging missions that could be instantly shared with whoever wanted.  There was some QA as well, as all new missions created with the Foundry went to an un-reviewed listing first, and each player had to decide if they wanted to be a content reviewer, or just browse the already reviewed content. After enough reviews the mission went into the general mission pool where all players could see the reviews and ratings of each mission.

For an MMO or MMOesque game, the Foundry is superior to a typical toolset, which had limits.  Anything that the user has to download, then reupload opens the door wide open for exploitation...something that is not good for an online game where all players should have equal footing.  Because all coding, art and sound assets and such are server side Cryptic can add, fix or delete what they need then just push the new build to the server, preventing the issue of  content being created on a version that is no longer supported and no oher players can play it.

IMO, the Foundry is an amazing tool in STO, and it is pretty limited as Cryptic has stated that the Foundry team was busy with the Neverwinter version.  I have played some extremely well designed missions in STO that had great storytelling as well as creative use of the Foundry's mechanics.

And to Ephesyn I am not sure now, but Neverwinter was designed to use the Foundry (Cryptics toolset for players) extensively, so as long as PWE has not change the plan, you can expect a fleshed out toolset to ship with the game, as it is server based and part of the package.  When STO goes F2P, you can check out the Foundry system there, it is more limited then what Neverwinter was supposed to be, but still fun to play with.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Cryptic by name crapsh*t by nature.

The minute I saw Cryptic were involved with Neverwinter a piece of me died.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Does anyone know what type of action rpg/mmo it's going to be?

If it's an open ended world (meaning NOT instanced) then I would be perfectly fine with it.

The thing is waiting in lobbies for team mates doesn't exactly appeal to many people.

Also if it's not the type where you wait in a room to start an instance I hope it's also not like Vincidtus where the world is also not open, but mainly seen through dungeons.

Nothing against Vindictus (I love it as it's own game), but this type of thing is unique and a lot of people only play one game that has a setup like this because that's basically all a player can handle before getting bored.

We don't want more copycats, we want something original and in my opinion what makes a mmorpg great is to have a huge world to explore and immerse yourself in.

If you do what Vindictus did the game play will be very limited.

Smile

• CorpocesCorpoces Member UncommonPosts: 20

How is this game different now from DDO? It's not! it's the same thing, you got an inner city that acts as the lobby and instances to adventure in...same thing. Cryptic, we already got a DDO, we don't want the same thing with a new name. Why not do something people been saying since the day EQ first came out " how cool would it be to have a D&D game like EQ?" For all the years you guys spent making games you still don't know what the players want. Re-asses your policy or get out of the business.

• RelytDnegelRelytDnegel Member UncommonPosts: 261

Perfect World Entertainment? Wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Ozmodan

An action so called MMO does not really fit my definition of a MMO.  Far closer to a FPS game than a MMO.  Besides Atari lost or is about to lose the D&D license.  It is a shame they are doing this to the Neverwinter IP though.

They lost it awhile back; according to their settlement they can continue selling games already made, and they were allowed to subcontract the license to PWE/Cryptic for this game.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Razeekster

If it's an open ended world (meaning NOT instanced) then I would be perfectly fine with it.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that; when Jack first gave an interview about the new NWN  game, he specifically stated that his immediate thought was to break the city up into instanced chunks. Maybe PWE is making them change that, but I wouldn't count on it.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• KyllsynKyllsyn Member UncommonPosts: 110

If god exists, Please!!! SOMEONE take D&D neverwinter away from PWE! That is a company I just do NOT trust with a game I grew up playing. >_>

all derp'd out and nowhere to herpaderp.
  • BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

NWN... annnnnnnd DOA...

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Gonna write an email and hopefully some others will do the same maybe Cryptic could still lose this great IP (one can hope right).

I mean its takes a special talent ruining an IP like ST in no time but if theres one company who can do it with EVERY damn IP its Cryptic. Hell I'm sure they would be able to ruin a Masters of the Universe IP also. 

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I have other games to play.  Don't care how they screw this one up.  Never liked Cryptic or PWE games in the past, don't see any reason to do so now.  The fact that it's being designed as free to play from the ground up is enough to mark off any game on my "to play" list.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Curiously risk your personal trusting investment cluelessly = imageand will result in image.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

I was over on Steam, looking for old games - and - saw NWN2 there.  That reminded me that I had seen something about Neverwinter.  I went to the site - and - the site does not reflect any of the changes - still the CORPG w/ Foundry thing that looks awesome.

Then the Google for more info - and - yeah, kind of died on the inside.

I think a D&D CORPG w/ Toolset - well, I think there are a bunch of us that would kiss MMORPGs goodbye for the crap they've become.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%