Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does my anti-virus hate this game so much?

WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

Just curious, anyone who has played this game, is my anti-virus bugging out for no reason? Keeps deleting the download or erasing it when it trys to install.

Comments

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Yeah I had alot of trouble with it..  Once I added the folder to exceptions i was able to start the PAINFULLY slow download :P

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

They mentioned something about AV problems today as well:

Patcher Update

Posted in News | October 5th, 2011 by Wiz

A few important changes were made to the way the patcher updates itself in order to avoid the fake antivirus warnings. Unfortunately we cannot automatically apply this update and everybody will have to grab a copy of the new Dawntide executable and place it in your Dawntide folder, overwriting your old exe.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I have this exact same problem when I tried to open this post on MMORPG.com my AVG flagged Dawntide as a virus.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4485208/Dawntide-Darkfall-clone.html

Also when I went to their site and tried their installer it flagged it as a virus too as some type of Java Script exploit or something I have no idea what is going on but it is flagging it as a virus for some odd reason.

• Xix13Xix13 Member Posts: 259

I've been seeing this quite a bit more often recently, particularly with Norton.  Most of the Pacrim imports/localizations are giving this, and the smaller company efforts seem to be too.  Problem is that the AV programs aren't bothering to give us options at download any longer, like the option to add to the exception list.  They just delete the file and expect you to wade through the AV's often cryptic interface to manually add in exceptions.  If you can even figure out which files to place in the exception list.  And, yeah, everybody's got their favorite AV program that doesn't flag the false positives, but we need the Big Guy programs to get on the ball and realize that we're not all buying their stuf to protect our spreadsheets and word processors.

I suppose I should look into the smaller AV efforts, but Norton's kept my computers free of problems for many years and I'm a bit leery of trusting others.  My bad, I guess.  But I really wish life wasn't removing my choices at every possible turn.

-- Xix
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Why, oh WHY, didn't I take the BLUE pill?'"