Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The put your money where your mouth is thread on SWTOR success [POLL]

Comments

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by astoria

Originally posted by whilan

I'm going with other because i don't think it will reach WoW numbers but i didn't care for the description of mediocre success. I think it will be really successful as in hold about 3 to 4 million but not get up into the 10 million range

I think

"Huge success, but will not rival WoW numbers".

I can't define success so narrowly.

I think it depends on whether they break into the Asian market successfully or not.  If they release Mandarin, Korean, Japanese language VOs, then they increase their chances tenfold.

Edit - I should add that they also need to release a spanish language VO - most of South America right there.  Frankly amazes they went with German instead.  I was born there and everyone is somewhat fluent in English.  Small population too.  I guess I don't know the reasoning of not going with Spanish instead.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I think it will be really successful as in hold about 3 to 4 million but not get up into the 10 million range

wow never had 10million in the usa/eu

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/01/22/world-of-warcraft-hits-10-million-subscribers/

Asia is the biggest market at the moment, with more than 5.5 million players,

as compared to North America's 2.5 million and 2 million subscribers in Europe.

• gruntreapergruntreaper Member Posts: 29

Theres a thread like this everyday,how about we wait for it to get released,play it and see what happens.All this talk is pointless and here say.

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

I cast my vote for "disappointing".

I'm sure they'll have outstanding numbers of box sales, but I really believe they'll have major retention problems. Aside from the VO work and the companion system, it's all been-there-done-that with very little innovation.

My prediction: box sales will go strong for at least 6 months, but subs will diminish rapidly after 3. The thing is, it will be hard to tell that subs are diminishing with all the new-comers buying the game and starting as the people who are bored to tears quit.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Why would anything less than WoW numbers be considered, mediocre?

You sure do have a lot of options with negative to very negative connotations and only one positive outcome.  Talk about showing your true colors and your passive agressive feelings toward this game.

*chuckles*

Oh dear ...

... just read my own take on Swtor's success a few posts later.

Why not stop with selective reading, misinterpreting and nitpicking and vote "other" instead and elaborate?

Come on Pony, we all know you are a big ol hater. The near daily posts talking about how excited you are about SWTOR and your plethora of posts defending the game against trolls is just a cunning ruse. We see your true colors. image

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

Originally posted by gruntreaper

Theres a thread like this everyday,how about we wait for it to get released,play it and see what happens.All this talk is pointless and here say.

2.5 months to release is just about right to start speculating on a game's success in my opinion.  We know most of the variables and they are unlikely to change at this point, barring a major revelation or setback.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by TheMaelstrom

The thing is, it will be hard to tell that subs are diminishing with all the new-comers buying the game and starting as the people who are bored to tears quit.

I'm not sure on the game industry name for this, but in broadcasting we called it churn.  I'm fairly certain WoW's long term success is from riding the churn waves.  On dips in population they promote strongly toward new players, and to stimulate a peak they release an expansion or some nifty content patch with new zones, new raids, etc to bring unsubscribed players back.

From personal experience I've left and come back several times.  Even bored people will come back for new content.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Silax

Originally posted by astoria

I'm going with other because i don't think it will reach WoW numbers but i didn't care for the description of mediocre success. I think it will be really successful as in hold about 3 to 4 million but not get up into the 10 million range

I think

"Huge success, but will not rival WoW numbers".

I can't define success so narrowly.

I think it depends on whether they break into the Asian market successfully or not.  If they release Mandarin, Korean, Japanese language VOs, then they increase their chances tenfold.

Edit - I should add that they also need to release a spanish language VO - most of South America right there.  Frankly amazes they went with German instead.  I was born there and everyone is somewhat fluent in English.  Small population too.  I guess I don't know the reasoning of not going with Spanish instead.

Really is surprising. By population, or maybe more importantly, by who is on the internet. Spanish is 3rd after English and Chinese according to this, and I've seen the same numbers elsewhere. http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I believe it will be the "mediocre" although I don't think that term suits it well. Should have been more like successfull but not WoW. I think it will sell well and keep a high number of subs for a while but will eventually succomb to the f2p bug, or a different pay model. If my belief that GW2 will break the monthly sub price model is right then I think it will suffer as a monthly sub and will have to move towards something else.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Why would anything less than WoW numbers be considered, mediocre?

You sure do have a lot of options with negative to very negative connotations and only one positive outcome.  Talk about showing your true colors and your passive agressive feelings toward this game.

*chuckles*

Oh dear ...

... just read my own take on Swtor's success a few posts later.

Why not stop with selective reading, misinterpreting and nitpicking and vote "other" instead and elaborate?

Come on Pony, we all know you are a big ol hater. The near daily posts talking about how excited you are about SWTOR and your plethora of posts defending the game against trolls is just a cunning ruse. We see your true colors. image

Curses! Foiled again!

Also you should probably know that I am not a pony afterall ...

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

I'm not sure on the game industry name for this, but in broadcasting we called it churn.  I'm fairly certain WoW's long term success is from riding the churn waves.  On dips in population they promote strongly toward new players, and to stimulate a peak they release an expansion or some nifty content patch with new zones, new raids, etc to bring unsubscribed players back.

Blizzard also hasn't run out of new markets to open.  Every time it seems the pop might begin fading, release in another continent.

They're going after SA next.  But that's the last of them--unless Antarctica has a huhe player population no one knows about.  Africa doesn't have enough internet infrastructure to be worthwhile.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I went with Huge Success, but it might have been safer to go with Mediocre Success.  To be honest, the more I learn about this game the more I think Bioware has hit it out of the park. 

Just recently I saw a hardcore WoW player talking about getting his hands on the beta version of the game and what he had to say.  He was enjoying it so much that he was barely taking time to sleep.  If you haven't seen it, he is called Machine and his video is on youtube.

When you combine that with Bioware's reputation, the amount of cash they have spent on this, and the fact that what they are adding to the MMO genre (story) is what they do best, I just don't see how this can be anything less than exceptional.

Whether the majority of players agree and whether Bioware can keep up with the continued output needed to keep the game fresh remains to be seen.  One thing is for sure, the initial sales will be massive.

Lastly, if an exceptional developer like Bioware who puts out things like Mass Effect and Dragon Age can't rival Blizzard for the top MMO spot, then who can?

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I hope it is a success.

• RebxrnRebxrn Member Posts: 18

One thing that has not been touched is this small fact:

A sizeable portion of gamers let alone the population do not like Star Wars.

To some of you that may be beyond comprehension, but I wonder how much of an effect this will have on the game's success.

I Once was Dead...Now am Reborn

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Teala

I hope it is a success.

That's not a prediction, but a wish Teala ...

Wishing not allowed!

We need to have something to either praise or condemn you with a year from now.

Originally posted by R3born

One thing that has not been touched is this small fact:

A sizeable portion of gamers let alone the population do not like Star Wars.

To some of you that may be beyond comprehension, but I wonder how much of an effect this will have on the game's success.

Meh... somewhat irrelevant.

1.  This isn't George Lucas's Star Wars

2.  Just because you don't like a particular setting, it probably does not take away from your enjoyment of the game.

I don't like war, but I kick ass in Battlefield, CoD, Total War, etc.  I think the fantasy genre has been beaten to death, but I will still play GW2 when it comes out.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Icewhite

Blizzard also hasn't run out of new markets to open.  Every time it seems the pop might begin fading, release in another continent.

They're going after SA next.  But that's the last of them--unless Antarctica has a huhe player population no one knows about.  Africa doesn't have enough internet infrastructure to be worthwhile.

I didnt know that - thanks for mentioning

http://mygaming.co.za/news/News/4138-Blizzard-First-Russia-then-Brazil-and-then-South-Africa.html

According to iGame, Blizzard initially stated a requisite 40,000 gamers in order for a local WoW server to be a legitimate possibility. Considering that there are around 1.5million broadband connections in SA, a total of 40,000 WoW players seems like a possibly, although it is an admittedly ambitious one.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

i just have a feeling  this game will be what you already know about the game

nothing  else

i am currently not even going to buy it on release  but that could change if i see anything  in the  game  but so far it reminds me of  the old starwars games  and  i wasnt really intrested in them either

now if they had some x-wing vs tie fighter  space combat not on rails i would be purchasing it day one   that would be  cool

• mmcguire2mmcguire2 Member Posts: 310

This game is going to do great.  it has a lot going for it.  The brand alone will make the game a success, imo SWG was until SoE destroyed it, and its backed by a great developer that already makes great games... I don't think it will change the face of MMOs but I can see it catching up to WooW one day...

• FortunFortun Member Posts: 3

This

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

I think it'll be a huge success, for the first year at least, and perhaps a little while after that.

I was going to give it a try myself when it released, that was up until they decided the Oceanic community wasnt worth their 'Customer Service Quality' and didnt offer any pre-order specials. So... screw EA, and that goes for BF3 and their Origin system as well.

Just means I will be able to spend the money I would have on the box + subs on GW2's cosmetic items and whatever else they will be offering.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Success means nothing to the individual,the ONLY thingh that matters is how good the game is to ME.

I know as does EA that just making a game based on a known IP will have decent sales numbers and so happens that the Star Wars brand is maybe the most well known ip there is.So it is a no brainer that this game wil lahve large sales numbers.

Does this equate to a game being good?Not a chance and by sheer fact so many are willing to pre oder a product they have never even tried shows sales alone man almost notihng.

One huge blemish is RMT,does the game have a player driven economy and if it does ,has Bioware made any indication of making the game RMT ready?

IMO the most important factor is does or wil lthe game offer a true MMO experience,or will it be more of the current trend to solo to end game level then raid or pvp?If the game cannot deliver a MMO experience then it fails at what it claims to be.

Does the game have  chance to be a success as a MMO?I think it maybe has a small chance,it is still imo a game thaty needs to be played for a bit,early indications are not even close to being enough to fully judge this game yet.One HUGE mistake is personal stories,that is a single player design,the game is suppose to carry a MMO story line not a solo player story line.

My gut feeling is that Bioware does not understand a MMO design,they are still going to make a Single player game with added internet.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

I voted Mediocre, though i thought the terms for that were a little vague and I thought there should have been a choice between the two.

My reason is simply because there will be enough fans of Star Wars to support the game even if it does not get support and monthly content updates. Behold the power of a fan base, a fan of a franchise is far more forgiving than someone who is not one and will tolerate alot before that person bails on the game.

Work hard Play Harder

Originally posted by bumfman

I voted Mediocre, though i thought the terms for that were a little vague and I thought there should have been a choice between the two.

My reason is simply because there will be enough fans of Star Wars to support the game even if it does not get support and monthly content updates. Behold the power of a fan base, a fan of a franchise is far more forgiving than someone who is not one and will tolerate alot before that person bails on the game.

Same could be said of GW1

edit:  ... or any other game for that matter.  Eve had a less than stellar first year.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Success means nothing to the individual,the ONLY thingh that matters is how good the game is to ME.

I know as does EA that just making a game based on a known IP will have decent sales numbers and so happens that the Star Wars brand is maybe the most well known ip there is.So it is a no brainer that this game wil lahve large sales numbers.

Does this equate to a game being good?Not a chance and by sheer fact so many are willing to pre oder a product they have never even tried shows sales alone man almost notihng.

One huge blemish is RMT,does the game have a player driven economy and if it does ,has Bioware made any indication of making the game RMT ready?

IMO the most important factor is does or wil lthe game offer a true MMO experience,or will it be more of the current trend to solo to end game level then raid or pvp?If the game cannot deliver a MMO experience then it fails at what it claims to be.

Does the game have  chance to be a success as a MMO?I think it maybe has a small chance,it is still imo a game thaty needs to be played for a bit,early indications are not even close to being enough to fully judge this game yet.One HUGE mistake is personal stories,that is a single player design,the game is suppose to carry a MMO story line not a solo player story line.

My gut feeling is that Bioware does not understand a MMO design,they are still going to make a Single player game with added internet.

MMO design really isnt that big of a secret.  I'm pretty sure they did their homework.  If Bioware were a new developer I might agree with you, but they've been around for 15 years.  They're not going to screw up the single player/multiplayer thing.